Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs Posted

That's what I thought. Seems harsh that someone could have .13 GPA more than my app, and be 20%+ lower in the pack than me with their MCATs and I'll get excluded, but they have to cut off somewhere.

what year are you in? you may still get an interview under conditional acceptance if you are currently in school and potentially still can be accepted.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say this about Western: everyone at least knows roughly what two year GPA and MCAT scores they need. So you could have barely passed your first two years, but if you can get it done in those last two years, and can get through the MCAT, you're as good as anyone who had a strong GPA all four years of undergrad, and I think that's nice.

I know the MCAT is a huge barrier at Western, but, for someone like me who bombed a year out of high school, cGPA is a huge barrier at other schools (Mac, Calgary, Alberta, UBC, McGill, MUN, even U of T's weighting isn't enough for me), so I guess it's all about making yourself as competitive as possible at as many places as possible once you decide med is what you want.

I am a graduate student, finishing up my MSc through the winter and spring. So no luck there I'm afraid.

And yet if you've got a graduate degree and a kicking MCAT, you'll be good for Queen's (assuming things don't change too drastically) and if your VR score is good, and you do well on CASPer you have a shot at McMaster. It's been said before on these boards, one nice thing about the way these schools work their admissions, you can usually find a fit with at least one of the schools.

BUT THEY SHOULD! Note, they post 3.7, not 3.70. So a 3.69 should be the same! Significant digits...right? hahaha. Like someone said before, if you just barely missed the Western cutoffs maybe you'll have a good shot at queens!

I know!!!! Back to being Jaded at the admissions process in Canada. Maybe something miraculous will happen and my 3.67 will be considered. Unfortunately I have a Q on my writing so Queen's is out. Oh well, here's to hoping that CASPer went well!

So close, I'm a little disappointed - I have one of my best two years as 3.67 (1% in one of my courses would have bumped that up to a 3.7... too bad I didn't think about the long term effects of this and done anything possible to get that last percent), and an 'O' in writing... with an 11/11/11 otherwise meeting the cutoffs.

Best of luck to those who met the cutoffs!

I know!!!! Back to being Jaded at the admissions process in Canada. Maybe something miraculous will happen and my 3.67 will be considered. Unfortunately I have a Q on my writing so Queen's is out. Oh well, here's to hoping that CASPer went well!

You don't know if Queens is out. For the past 3 years, they haven't repeated the same WS cutoff.

If I were you... I wouldn't hold my breath on Western. Sorry, I know it's hard to hear. Had to go through it last year.

Congrats to everyone who made cutoffs this year!

See you all in a couple months, I know everyone here is working hard to make your interview weekends as enjoyable as possible.

Also don't stress, if you made the cut-offs and have all the course load stuff in order, you're in!

Does anyone have an idea of what the interview schedule is like? Is it an all day affair? Or do they give you a tour and the panel interview and that's it?

I think it depends on what you want to do. I know they offer a tour and a presentation about the school, the city, etc. They also have refreshments in the waiting area which you can sit in before and/or after your interview. I'm from London and go to school at UWO so I skipped the tour and presentation part last year and went in only for the interview - so up to you!

I think it depends on what you want to do. I know they offer a tour and a presentation about the school, the city, etc. They also have refreshments in the waiting area which you can sit in before and/or after your interview. I'm from London and go to school at UWO so I skipped the tour and presentation part last year and went in only for the interview - so up to you!

It might be nice to go to the presentation and tour though. I am guessing that a lot of us will be nervous so this might get rid of some of that nervous tension, and I'm sure you will get to meet a few people in the process as well :) .

Archived