Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs Posted

Yup, that is correct!

everyone will be nervous of course - there is a lot on the line, but really it is basically pretty clear at this point if you are going to get an interview or not. The reason we post the cut offs is to give you a bit of a heads up I think. If it wasn't a pretty much automatic from this point we wouldn't post them at all and just do what all the other schools do :)

How does it work if you have only one year above the cutoff (significantly above...around 3.8) and you meet the other cutoffs? Is an interview guaranteed or is that more of a hazy situation?

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's great. Are conditional acceptances handed out often or are they extremely rare? I'm presuming you'd need to blow them away at the interview to make up for the only 1 year above cutoff

Conditional meaning you are currently working on 1 more year that will meet the GPA cutoff.

you would get an interview under the conditional acceptance rules :)

Yep, if you do end up getting an offer as a result of that interview, you would have to score above the GPA cutoff in your current year (send transcripts to our office during the summer to confirm) in order for it to become final. Keep up the good work until the very end, because it would feel pretty terrible to receive a conditional offer in May, only to realize that your winter term marks aren't up to par and to be thinking "if only I'd done this much better on that exam, or put a little more effort into that project...".

Yep, if you do end up getting an offer as a result of that interview, you would have to score above the GPA cutoff in your current year (send transcripts to our office during the summer to confirm) in order for it to become final. Keep up the good work until the very end, because it would feel pretty terrible to receive a conditional offer in May, only to realize that your winter term marks aren't up to par and to be thinking "if only I'd done this much better on that exam, or put a little more effort into that project...".

Oh you have NO IDEA! I dealt with this issue last year, if anyone has any questions regarding conditional acceptances and what happens when you DON'T end up meeting the conditions and your acceptence gets revoked - dont' hesitate to ask.

They have been posted and for some reason they were taken off. But it has been confirmed that the cutoffs are the exact same as last year's cutoffs.

Has it though? I mean, has anyone confirmed that those WERE the cutoffs they're going with? I can't see any way they aren't, but who knows. It's just weird that it was taken down the same day.

Ok, I am not an adcom - just a second year student who is very involved in the admissions office. Puts me in contact with the same information as the adcoms etc but I do not have a say in what the rules actually are. Plus I update the website and created the new version of it everyone is now seeing and do to my council position do a lot of other things :)

I can see that the page as been removed temporarily from the site and put into draft mode. This must have happened late in the day as I was meeting with the office at 4 and no one mentioned it. I don't know why it was removed, could be on purpose, could be a mistake. I did ask for some minor corrections to the page but nothing to do with the cut offs - just a date change. I can also say that in the current draft version the cut offs have not changed from what was up earlier today.

That is all I can say - but I will follow immediately tomorrow morning and go from there. Sorry about the confusion - everyone doesn't need the stress but please bear with us!

Yup it has been confirmed. Look above. I don't have an 11 in Verbal so I'm out and I feel for you. But I think it's very important to accept the cutoffs for what they are. Don't have false hope; it will ending up hurting more. Cool?

Has it though? I mean, has anyone confirmed that those WERE the cutoffs they're going with? I can't see any way they aren't, but who knows. It's just weird that it was taken down the same day.

Yup it has been confirmed. Look above. I don't have an 11 in Verbal so I'm out and I feel for you. But I think it's very important to accept the cutoffs for what they are. Don't have false hope; it will ending up hurting more. Cool?

I made the cutoffs, but barely, and just dread them going up tomorrow! I just didn't get any absolute confirmation out of what rmorelan said. Anyway, chalk it up to paranoia, I'm sure they're careful enough to not post incorrect cutoffs, so who knows why it got taken down.

I made the cutoffs, but barely, and just dread them going up tomorrow! I just didn't get any absolute confirmation out of what rmorelan said. Anyway, chalk it up to paranoia, I'm sure they're careful enough to not post incorrect cutoffs, so who knows why it got taken down.

I really suspect someone hit the save draft as opposed to save to go live when they changed the date from 2012 to 2011 on the main page but of course that is a bit of personal assessment and we will see tomorrow.

I really suspect someone hit the save draft as opposed to save to go live when they changed the date from 2012 to 2011 on the main page but of course that is a bit of personal assessment and we will see tomorrow.

Makes sense. Thanks, and I guess we'll see for sure in the AM!

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm having a hard time parsing the phrasing of Western's admissions information and so I have a question about the posted cutoffs.

I live outside of the 'SWOMEN' area and so am subject to the higher scrutiny, I exceed the MCAT cutoffs by quite a margin, so I'm okay there. But, my GPA is a 3.72, which seems like I should meet that as well, but 3.72 happens to be my COMBINED GPA from the best two years. Fourth year was above 3.7 and third year was a 3.57. Does anyone know how they treat a situation like this? Seems a shame that I would be excluded from an interview based on .13 of a GPA point in one year of undergrad, especially with very good MCAT scores. But perhaps that's how it works.

It seems to me like their wording both does and does not allow for interviews for people who meet the cutoff overall but not in each year. Anyone have any insight?

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm having a hard time parsing the phrasing of Western's admissions information and so I have a question about the posted cutoffs.

I live outside of the 'SWOMEN' area and so am subject to the higher scrutiny, I exceed the MCAT cutoffs by quite a margin, so I'm okay there. But, my GPA is a 3.72, which seems like I should meet that as well, but 3.72 happens to be my COMBINED GPA from the best two years. Fourth year was above 3.7 and third year was a 3.57. Does anyone know how they treat a situation like this? Seems a shame that I would be excluded from an interview based on .13 of a GPA point in one year of undergrad, especially with very good MCAT scores. But perhaps that's how it works.

It seems to me like their wording both does and does not allow for interviews for people who meet the cutoff overall but not in each year. Anyone have any insight?

Your need to have over a 3.7 in any 2 years to be considered for an interview.

You need to meet or exceed the cutoffs in both years used in the GPA calculation.

Yep. From the official website (http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/index.php?page=requirementsFAQ)

"To be eligible to apply you must:

3. Have registered in courses in such a way that there have been at least two full academic years (taken during September - April) in which a minimum of 5 full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) have been taken concurrently. This must be the case regardless of the course load required by the program in which the applicant is enrolled. The Grade Point Average (GPA) minimums must be met in EACH of these two years."

That's what I thought. Seems harsh that someone could have .13 GPA more than my app, and be 20%+ lower in the pack than me with their MCATs and I'll get excluded, but they have to cut off somewhere.

It works the other way around too... people with 4.0's and 10VR's will also get excluded.

Archived