Premed 101 Forums

Cutoffs Posted

I remember attending the Premed Symposium 3 years ago, has it changed at all in the past years? Would anyone recommend that I attend this again? I vaguely recall first year med students talking about their own interview experiences and what it's like to study at Schulich...as well as a summary booklet at the end of the third day.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You don't know if Queens is out. For the past 3 years, they haven't repeated the same WS cutoff.

Did you find this in the Queen's thread? If it's true, what has the range of accepted WS scores been? I remember seeing a premed with 4.0 gpa but a Q in WS get rejected pre-interview, while someone else with a much lower gpa and 10-VR, R-WS invited for one...

Did you find this in the Queen's thread? If it's true, what has the range of accepted WS scores been? I remember seeing a premed with 4.0 gpa but a Q in WS get rejected pre-interview, while someone else with a much lower gpa and 10-VR, R-WS invited for one...

Correct - the WS cut off for Queens has been R at the highest, and dropped down to a Q once. If you don't have the MCAT cut offs for Queens it doesn't matter what your GPA is - that is similar to Western in that respect :)

I received an e-mail today asking for my OMSAS reference #, whether or not I am pursuing further studies, the nature of my studies, and the expected completion date. I think if you are a grad student (which I am) or if you are pursuing a 2nd undergrad you should have received an e-mail from them IF you meet the cutoffs. Other premeds in my grad program who did not reach the cutoffs did not receive an e-mail.

I received an e-mail today asking for my OMSAS reference #, whether or not I am pursuing further studies, the nature of my studies, and the expected completion date. I think if you are a grad student (which I am) or if you are pursuing a 2nd undergrad you should have received an e-mail from them IF you meet the cutoffs. Other premeds in my grad program who did not reach the cutoffs did not receive an e-mail.

Hopefully that's just for grad - I'm in my first UG and I should meet the cutoffs, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Would it help to mention the entire point of releasing the cut offs is to actually reduce stress by essentially telling you if you have an interview or not?

Probably not :)

I'm stressing about the "honors degree" thing, even though I know my program probably counts.

People do stress about that but really it is kind of hard NOT to qualify for that if you an in any kind of standard 4 year degree or have a major in anything.

I guess it's because at my school, there's an "honors" track that's separate from a simple major.

But at least I know I meet the GPA and MCAT cutoffs, so that's a happy thing.

I guess it's because at my school, there's an "honors" track that's separate from a simple major.

But at least I know I meet the GPA and MCAT cutoffs, so that's a happy thing.

sure that is common - a lot of schools have that. Any program that takes four years and has a major is equivalent basically :)

Would it help to mention the entire point of releasing the cut offs is to actually reduce stress by essentially telling you if you have an interview or not?

For me the stress comes from the fact that OMSAS didn't give me a GPA verification, but rather said that each school will have to perform it's own verification.

I should say, however, that posting the cutoffs has greatly reduced the stress level. The whole process though, makes one a little jumpy.

I'm stressed because I don't know if I'll get one b/c I only have 1 yr above the GPA cutoff (even though I meet the other cutoffs).

Even though there's the whole conditional acceptance idea, it still worries me

I'm stressed because I don't know if I'll get one b/c I only have 1 yr above the GPA cutoff (even though I meet the other cutoffs).

Even though there's the whole conditional acceptance idea, it still worries me

Are you currently in undergrad? If so, you should receive an interview with the chance of being conditionally accepted.

Are you currently in undergrad? If so, you should receive an interview with the chance of being conditionally accepted.

yeah I'm a UG. I hope you're right.

What were the interview dates for UWO again? (I could go check them, but my internet is being super laggy)

I have faced my first rejection with Mac yesterday and now I am worried that I will not get invited for an interview anywhere. Here are my stats:

3.93 OMSAS GPA (3.99 over the first 2 years. I got a 75 in one 3rd year course and it killed my GPA)

MCAT: 11 V/ 11 PS/ 10 BS Q

EC: Standard - including 2 independent research projects, 1 poster at a conference, international volunteering, over 200 hours at a hospital, facilitated study groups through the university etc...

Other than a potential interview at Western, do I have a fair shot anywhere else in Ontario or am I not even in the same boat as the other applicants?

Thanks

You're in the running at all the rest of the Ontario schools. You will have an interview from Western (provided you're taking the right courseload etc.) and have a decent shot at U/T & Ottawa (hopefully your essay/ECs are good enough for the reviewer), and a good chance at Queen's as long as they don't enforce an R writing cutoff.

Hope you're not trolling. If you're not, try to be less neurotic. The only reason you didn't gain an interview at Mac with a 3.93/11VR was a poor CASPER performance. As you know, none of the other schools use it (at least not yet).

Guest Please1

Thanks for the reply GGGSaint. Definitely not trolling. I worked my butt off for the past 4 years and the rejection yesterday was a punch in the face. It is hard to start off replies with a rejection so I am hoping for some positive light to shine my way. I am only neurotic because after looking at past forums, it seems that people with 3.99-4.00 and heavy ECs have been rejected. I feel out of place.

You're in the running at all the rest of the Ontario schools. You will have an interview from Western (provided you're taking the right courseload etc.) and have a decent shot at U/T & Ottawa (hopefully your essay/ECs are good enough for the reviewer), and a good chance at Queen's as long as they don't enforce an R writing cutoff.

Hope you're not trolling. If you're not, try to be less neurotic. The only reason you didn't gain an interview at Mac with a 3.93/11VR was a poor CASPER performance. As you know, none of the other schools use it (at least not yet).

Archived