Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box for people with no e-mails yet

I am experiencing quite a bit of anxiety due to the waiting as well. However, I do trust UofT admissions when they say they will interview as many people as they like and will create more interview spots than originally planned, if necessary. That's because every school wants the chance to interview their best applicants, so UofT isn't going to miss out on some awesome applicants just because of the way they have chosen to review the files.

Everyone, please continue to have hope and don't just write off your application just because other people are getting interview dates between the 25-27th and you have not heard yet. Their holistic approach to reviewing the applications comes with the downfall of having of wait longer for a response, but I'm sure it's worth it for a lot of people who have MCAT scores or gpa that are below cut-off and need a closer review of other aspects of their application. For example, I have an 8 in VR (I hope it doesn't hold me back this year :o ) but I received an interview last year, thanks to their consideration to other parts of my application.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, be as patient as possible. The way they have chosen to review our applications is quite a lengthy approach, but fair. It shouldn't be rushed either. This is not to say that you shouldn't be worried or anxious, but don't lose hope that your application could shine in their eyes :)

Good Luck everyone.

Not trying to be negative but I really doubt u of t would create another interview day just to interview more then their set amount of around 500 interviews. I think deborah says things that are overly positive sometimes but at least shes trying to ease pre med tensions. However, more straight to the point responses might be better in the future.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true we don't know exactly how they review the applications. Maybe they do "group" applications into those batches like thatonekid said. However my application didn't change much from last year. I was invited for an interview on Feb 2nd last year and this year I'm still waiting for a response. Furthermore, my last referee sent in his letter near the Dec 1st deadline and I was still invited in the first week of Feb last year. I think the process is a little more random than we'd like to think.

Also, didn't they create extra interview dates last year?

Ok people, I deleted my posts (and the posts that quoted mine, fyi). It wasn't that I posted anything that I don't stand by, but I'm getting tired of responding to the hate-pms. I know this is a stressful time, but some of the things that I got in response to my posts were really out of line. So I'm sorry to everyone I may have angered. That truely wasn't my intention.

Ok people, I deleted my posts (and the posts that quoted mine, fyi). It wasn't that I posted anything that I don't stand by, but I'm getting tired of responding to the hate-pms. I know this is a stressful time, but some of the things that I got in response to my posts were really out of line. So I'm sorry to everyone I may have angered. That truely wasn't my intention.

That's because you violated the fundamental right for people not to have their feelings hurt. So of course you must apologize.

I'm sure you know that there's nothing for you to apologize for. I for one, as someone who is still waiting to hear from U of T, hope that your theory was incorrect. But that's all it was. A theory. No one really knows. That being said, anyone who responds with a hateful PM has to seriously get a life.

That's because you violated the fundamental right for people not to have their feelings hurt. So of course you must apologize.

I'm sure you know that there's nothing for you to apologize for. I for one, as someone who is still waiting to hear from U of T, hope that your theory was incorrect. But that's all it was. A theory. No one really knows. That being said, anyone who responds with a hateful PM has to seriously get a life.

Hypothesis would be a better term :P

Nice Raonic avatar.

Good call! I've been rooting for Milos since he played in the 2010 Rogers Cup in T.O. Hopefully he'll be as big of a star as your avatar one day

Hypothesis would be a better term :P

To distract from that pownage I will quote this from wikipedia

While theories in the arts and philosophy may address ideas and not easily observable empirical phenomena, in modern science the term "theory", or "scientific theory" is generally understood to refer to a proposed explanation of empirical phenomena, made in a way consistent with the scientific method.

Hang in there guys. I honestly know how hard it is to go through this. I was one of the people constantly refreshing my inbox and putting my life on hold for a response back, hoping and waiting and losing sleep over it, and I just got my rejection this morning at 10 AM.

I'm very heartbroken, but that's how life is sometimes.

I'm not going to give you guys a cheesy positivity message because that won't do anything to how you're feeling now...just take care of yourselves, and while you anticipate hearing good news, buffer your emotions by putting together a game plan (or start thinking of one) just in case it doesn't pan out your way.

I was the one resistant to planning any sort of plan Bs, but sometimes you are challenged to put your feelings on the side and just move forward regardless.

I hope everyone still waiting will be invited for an interview. Keeping my fingers crossed for those remaining. It's not impossible to get an invite now (it's not over yet!) so don't assume it'll turn out one way or another. Just let it happen as it has to.

Take care.

*hugs* thanks!!! you are very sweet.

Hang in there guys. I honestly know how hard it is to go through this. I was one of the people constantly refreshing my inbox and putting my life on hold for a response back, hoping and waiting and losing sleep over it, and I just got my rejection this morning at 10 AM.

I'm not going to give you guys a cheesy positivity message because that won't do anything to how you're feeling now...just take care of yourselves, and while you anticipate hearing good news, buffer your emotions by putting together a game plan (or start thinking of one) just in case it doesn't pan out your way.

I was the one resistant to planning any sort of plan Bs, but sometimes you are challenged to put your feelings on the side and just move forward regardless.

I hope everyone still waiting will be invited for an interview. Keeping my fingers crossed for those remaining. It's not impossible to get an invite now (it's not over yet!) so don't assume it'll turn out one way or another. Just let it happen as it has to.

Take care.

Take care.

Thanks MtDNa, that's great advice. Sorry about the rejection. I hope your "plan B" becomes one that you will look back at in a couple of years as one that you gained really from. Good luck!!

No problem, Placenta and Kickserve. It's the least I can do!

At first this forum made me feel a bit neurotic (constantly refreshing inbox, PM101, Deborah's blog and Twitter feed) but it has turned into a really amazing source of support. I've talked to a few people on here and everyone is going through the same struggles, has the same hopes/aspirations and is faced with difficulties along the way. If you think you have it bad, talk to a few others on here who have gone through just as much (if not worse) than what you're facing. It puts things into perspective and makes the process less painful.

In any case - it's Friday tomorrow, hopefully invites will come out. A lot of rejections today so that can mean something positive for those still left. It's not over until the process ends, so in the mean time, try and distract yourselves with anything (even a movie).

Hope it works out - I'll still be on here so hopefully I can let you guys know what's next for me (going to try again next year, but more broadly).

No problem, Placenta and Kickserve. It's the least I can do!

At first this forum made me feel a bit neurotic (constantly refreshing inbox, PM101, Deborah's blog and Twitter feed) but it has turned into a really amazing source of support. I've talked to a few people on here and everyone is going through the same struggles, has the same hopes/aspirations and is faced with difficulties along the way. If you think you have it bad, talk to a few others on here who have gone through just as much (if not worse) than what you're facing. It puts things into perspective and makes the process less painful.

In any case - it's Friday tomorrow, hopefully invites will come out. A lot of rejections today so that can mean something positive for those still left. It's not over until the process ends, so in the mean time, try and distract yourselves with anything (even a movie).

Hope it works out - I'll still be on here so hopefully I can let you guys know what's next for me (going to try again next year, but more broadly).

MtDNA, that's really a great attitude. I keep meeting med students and doctors who had such trying and round-about routes into medicine. Some of them had it harder than I could ever imagine. Really puts things into perspective...

thanks a lot Kickserve. The process really tests you. All the best with your application - and to everyone else still in the game!!!

MtDNA, that's really a great attitude. I keep meeting med students and doctors who had such trying and round-about routes into medicine. Some of them had it harder than I could ever imagine. Really puts things into perspective...

MitochondrialDNA, you are so sweet!!! You are so supportive!!

The reason I like going on this forum so much is because I know I'm not alone when it comes to striving for a career that demands so much from you. I know many of us have had to make so many sacrifices, spent a lot of time and energy to chase our dream. Not only that, but it's emotionally demanding on our family and those who support us in our endeavors too...

It's hard when you've done all you can at this point and still receive a regrets. I was really sad when I got a rejection letter from UofT last year...

Anyway, I hope that for those who didn't receive an interview that you'll find your invite or acceptance letter THAT much sweeter when it arrives. And to those who are still waiting, GOOD LUCK!!

I'm really rooting for you guys - the waiting game is so rough!! Even though we all have the same dream, supporting each other along the way makes it a lot easier to handle for everyone. It isn't an easy path but having this type of support - especially of the people who have been through the rough patches - makes it that much more possible!!

I'll be checking back here to see how things work out, good luck everyone <3

MitochondrialDNA, you are so sweet!!! You are so supportive!!

The reason I like going on this forum so much is because I know I'm not alone when it comes to striving for a career that demands so much from you. I know many of us have had to make so many sacrifices, spent a lot of time and energy to chase our dream. Not only that, but it's emotionally demanding on our family and those who support us in our endeavors too...

It's hard when you've done all you can at this point and still receive a regrets. I was really sad when I got a rejection letter from UofT last year...

Anyway, I hope that for those who didn't receive an interview that you'll find your invite or acceptance letter THAT much sweeter when it arrives. And to those who are still waiting, GOOD LUCK!!

I feel like we should all go out one night and talk about how deadly this experience has been!!! Since we don't know one another, we should put up a sign like "No to Deborah, Yes to Leslie", to locate each other :P

BEST OF LUCK TO THOSE STILL WAITING (including myself...) AND THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT AND SUPPORT!! YOU GUYS ARE FANNNNTABULOUS! <3

yeap thts rite one gud thing abt pm101 is that theres always support :) and info :P someone shud put a "like" button on here :P but yes i do hv esome questions if anyone can answer please. guys are they gonna have any more interviews in april or is it just march 26 and 27? i hvent heard from them but i dnt know wht im gonna do bc im booked on both those days at other schools ... and w my luck i bet i'll be one of the last ones to hear from them. i hve to be out of hte country for another interview on the 7th so i wnt be here on the 5th and 6th either.. but yeah will they be having any more interview dates? and is it correct that everyone will be notified by mid-march? i remember reading that somewhere but when i went back on deborah's blog to find it i cudnt. thanks :)

They have march 25th as an interview day as well. I think Toronto may have put in the 25th for people in your situation. Since schools like Queens and Mac have interviews on that weekend, those who have the 26th and 27th booked should be able to make it on the 25th to UofT. Three interviews in three days isn't ideal...but it works.

I'm with you on that. But it's ok, I just know we're gonna hear from them tomorrow

(I say this everyday:rolleyes: )

I dunno, but I have this gut feeling that there will be a slew of emails tomorrow. Aren't Fridays big days for U of T? (don't know where I heard that lol but I thought I saw that somewhere).

But on the other hand, my gut feelings have all been fairly wrong this application cycle, so who knows...

Good morning to everyone still waiting,

Friday is usually a an active day for U of T invitations/rejections so best of luck today. Hope we all hear back good news.

And let's remember if we get a rejection, that doesn't take one iota away from who we are as people, nor from how competent we will be as physicians in the future. Life has its bumps, and if a rejection is in the cards for any of us today, hopefully that should be the "biggest" bump we encounter. I keep speaking to doctors who say how getting into med school is the most stressful part of the whole medical career (more than Carms, residency, finding a job, etc), as it is so difficult for schools to gauge the differences in potential between applicants at this early stage in the game. So many people I know have applied numerous times before getting in, and say it was all worth it in the long run.

I have the (unfounded) feeling that many of us will hear back today. I have a boatload of work to complete, so I hope to check in around 4ish pm and to see a lot of invitations posted, and hopefully will have some (good )news to post myself!

Good Luck!!

Archived