Premed 101 Forums

Hope Box for people with no e-mails yet

I feel like rising from my seat to give you a standing ovation for your time management skills!!! :D

I think that I created an OMSAS account the day before the deadline (hides in corner due to shame)...:rolleyes:

Haha thanks, I was very familiar with the application and process from last year so I knew what to expect. Plus, I took a trip to AB late august and wanted to have my app done and submitted before I left :D

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From:http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/the-interview/#comments

A-man

Hi Deborah,

I have not heard back yet regarding an interview. I understand that processing takes a while and some files are still in question. The problem is that it is unlikely that anyone will receive a March 5 or 6 interview given that there are less than 2 weeks from those dates. It seems that the last interview weekend is filling up as well. So, to not overload the last weekend, is it fair to say that the pending applications consist mostly of rejections?

on February 23, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Replyutmedadmissions

Hi A-man. If I say “yes” then you’ll assume you’re one of the refusals, correct? Although even if “most” are refusals, that means “some” are going to be invited to interview. I suspect that we will be sending more refusal notifications than interview invitations, but that is always the case, right from the beginning of our process. 2900 applications will come down to 530 or so interviews, so over 2000 refusals.

We still have invites to send, and I’m working on the data entry to let some more applicants know they will not be receiving an interview.

Sigh...I guess the grand majority are just waiting for a rejection... :(

From:http://utmedadmissions.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/the-interview/#comments

A-man

Hi Deborah,

I have not heard back yet regarding an interview. I understand that processing takes a while and some files are still in question. The problem is that it is unlikely that anyone will receive a March 5 or 6 interview given that there are less than 2 weeks from those dates. It seems that the last interview weekend is filling up as well. So, to not overload the last weekend, is it fair to say that the pending applications consist mostly of rejections?

on February 23, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Replyutmedadmissions

Hi A-man. If I say “yes” then you’ll assume you’re one of the refusals, correct? Although even if “most” are refusals, that means “some” are going to be invited to interview. I suspect that we will be sending more refusal notifications than interview invitations, but that is always the case, right from the beginning of our process. 2900 applications will come down to 530 or so interviews, so over 2000 refusals.

We still have invites to send, and I’m working on the data entry to let some more applicants know they will not be receiving an interview.

I don't think we can even be objective about our own applications anymore :( it's gotten to a point in the process where there's 3 interview days left and invites so far have been for those days too. I don't know how many more invites they can realistically have (i.e. 'more invites' doesn't imply a number, it can be 3 or 30).

I hope I'm not making anyone sad by saying that...I've been trying to be really positive about the whole thing since the first wave of rejections on January 28 but man, it's hard to stick it out when the numbers (for interview) aren't favourable. I'm sure they'll interview everyone they want to meet and can make space but I think it would be logistically difficult to accomodate an extra 40 people on one day...

Hugs back...time to take a walk and try to forget about this :(

I think any objective person would say that if you have a competitive application, you shouldn't be worried. As the post said, there are more invites to come.

That being said, I am not objective :(

After all that waiting and hope, my last chance for even an interview this year was taken away this afternoon... Totally shattered. Good luck to everyone left! Hang in there.

I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck in the future, whatever your endeavors may be.

After all that waiting and hope, my last chance for even an interview this year was taken away this afternoon... Totally shattered. Good luck to everyone left! Hang in there.
Sorry to hear that. But remember that many people on here have been in this exact same situation before. One thing to be learned from them is that perseverance pays off. Good luck to you in the future.

I am sorry to hear that. You do have good stats, and you should try again next year because you do have some realistic chance. Also try US schools to increase your chance.

correct me if i am wrong, but i thought the files are being looked at in batches. doesn't not receiving a reply simply mean that your file has not been evaluated yet. and as far as i understand, i thought when (first or last) you are evaluated doesn't affect your chances of receiving an invite.

i am a grad student and i haven't heard back from them yet. but hearing that most of the people that haven't heard yet are most probably rejected is pretty depressing.

I am experiencing quite a bit of anxiety due to the waiting as well. However, I do trust UofT admissions when they say they will interview as many people as they like and will create more interview spots than originally planned, if necessary. That's because every school wants the chance to interview their best applicants, so UofT isn't going to miss out on some awesome applicants just because of the way they have chosen to review the files.

Everyone, please continue to have hope and don't just write off your application just because other people are getting interview dates between the 25-27th and you have not heard yet. Their holistic approach to reviewing the applications comes with the downfall of having of wait longer for a response, but I'm sure it's worth it for a lot of people who have MCAT scores or gpa that are below cut-off and need a closer review of other aspects of their application. For example, I have an 8 in VR (I hope it doesn't hold me back this year :o ) but I received an interview last year, thanks to their consideration to other parts of my application.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, be as patient as possible. The way they have chosen to review our applications is quite a lengthy approach, but fair. It shouldn't be rushed either. This is not to say that you shouldn't be worried or anxious, but don't lose hope that your application could shine in their eyes :)

Good Luck everyone.

I am experiencing quite a bit of anxiety due to the waiting as well. However, I do trust UofT admissions when they say they will interview as many people as they like and will create more interview spots than originally planned, if necessary. That's because every school wants the chance to interview their best applicants, so UofT isn't going to miss out on some awesome applicants just because of the way they have chosen to review the files.

Everyone, please continue to have hope and don't just write off your application just because other people are getting interview dates between the 25-27th and you have not heard yet. Their holistic approach to reviewing the applications comes with the downfall of having of wait longer for a response, but I'm sure it's worth it for a lot of people who have MCAT scores or gpa that are below cut-off and need a closer review of other aspects of their application. For example, I have an 8 in VR (I hope it doesn't hold me back this year :o ) but I received an interview last year, thanks to their consideration to other parts of my application.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, be as patient as possible. The way they have chosen to review our applications is quite a lengthy approach, but fair. It shouldn't be rushed either. This is not to say that you shouldn't be worried or anxious, but don't lose hope that your application could shine in their eyes :)

Good Luck everyone.

Well I am glad that I'm not the only one still waiting, I was worried that they lost my application and will deny that I ever sent it.

Archived