Premed 101 Forums

nhl playoffs

apache

The problem isn't Niemi. What's been missing for the Sharks is speed. They've been stood up in the neutral zone by our blue line and are guilty of turning over the puck countless times. It also doesn't help that everyone on the roster has pretty much been silent except for Thornton and Couture. Players like Marleau and Pavelski need to step it up for the Sharks. A goalie change isn't going to do anything when the Sedins and the rest of the team are hot and San Jose's forwards are playing like crap. Needless to say, I hope they play Eager more often for more undisciplined penalties against the Sharks.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem isn't Niemi. What's been missing for the Sharks is speed. They've been stood up in the neutral zone by our blue line and are guilty of turning over the puck countless times. It also doesn't help that everyone on the roster has pretty much been silent except for Thornton and Couture. Players like Marleau and Pavelski need to step it up for the Sharks. A goalie change isn't going to do anything when the Sedins and the rest of the team are hot and San Jose's forwards are playing like crap. Needless to say, I hope they play Eager more often for more undisciplined penalties against the Sharks.
Agreed. Half the time the Sharks looked like they were standing still compared to the Canucks.

this may be a picky don cherry critiquey but... lol, but whatever, hockeys fun and while i have fun playing like niemi or thomas, im not in the nhl, lol

bad goal 1: the reason they score is because he is on his knees and isn't back in a partial butterfly on a knee and skate to get across fast enough at 47-48 seconds, especially with sedins you can't cheat towards the shot and if you're not going to be full butterfly at least only partially cheat the shot, lol... this is seriously the nhl, if you wait for the pass to pivot you're going to get scored on, lol.

bad goal 2: you hug the net like this on potential short side shots (which he played), crashes towards short side, centring passes and wrap arounds, the guy who made when he was nowhere near the net so you don't have to crash the fake crash and centre, the fact that he didn't kick out of the goalpost to make himself big leaves the whole stop shelf open and is a play you would make if the guy actually crashed the net and made last minute pass, this pass was from way beyond the danger zone.

good goal 3: this breakaway came way to fast, niemi couldn't pick up enough backward momentum and speed to close the five hole, nice goal by bieksa on an aside though.

good goal 4: he played the short side shot well, got out to the top of his crease and made himself big, just a good screen.

horrible goal 5: being out of your crease to challenge the shooter is great positioning on a one on one situation with no passing options, but not short handed, with an easy lateral, a dman back thats going to go low blocker side for the easy rebound goal because you're so out of position that that earlier lateral pass will pick up the rebound when everyone moves up to take away the shot... you also play the one time lateral deep because at the position you cant get back to the top of our crease and make yourself big. unless you're tim thomas or dominik hasek, positioning, positioning, positioning kids, haha

good goal 6: he played this one perfectly, canucks are just too good and have too much firepower, they also know not to go midlevel on the first shot to get a nice pad rebound that's hard to stir away when there are like 20 canucks around you.

bad mental goal 7: he went back for the puck, he thought it may have beat him and on something rolling that slow there's def enough time where you're like i don't feel this puck, instead of going off balance ( and exposing the puck to any canuck's player if the puck is under your legs) by trying to glove the puck, please tighten your legs as much as you can shift backwards while holding it tight and go for a stick sweep.

i know sj's d bombed this niemi isn't going to stay in the nhl long until he learns proper rebound control on low shots and something about positionings, he's far to in his head and not cognizant of what's going on the ice around him, thomas plays very similar stylistically but has a much higher awareness level so when he gives up a bad rebound, turns and dives for a shot he already has a good idea where the rebound is, and where shooter will probabilistically shoot it.

for an opposite see dwayne roloson, he's a much less physically talented goalie than niemi but play's a much smart game, here's a little vignette of some of the differences between roli and a guy like niemi, haha:

Not surprisingly given Mason’s affinity for Strelow’s teachings, the approach sounds a lot like ex-San Jose stopper Evgeni Nabokov (ironic since Roloson took the one job most saw Nabokov landing after leaving the KHL last month) and indeed his stance has narrowed since working with Mason.

“He was still sliding while making saves. He had less control and was giving up more juicy rebounds,” said Mason, who worked on footwork daily with Roloson to take advantage of his strong reads of how plays develop. “When he gets there with his feet set, that’s when he’s really clean. That way he’s reading and reacting to situations and using the proper save techniques when time comes.”

Those changes – away from the earlier mindset as more of a pure puck blocker – helped Roloson feel more reactive off his positioning, faster laterally on his skates than he was on his knees. They were also ahead of the curve in terms of stopping pucks in the more dynamic post-lockout NHL, and have helped Roloson excel behind even the woeful New York Islanders, and into his early 40s.

“It’s made me quicker,” said Roloson. “I rely more now on getting into position and then reacting instead of staying down on my knees and just trying to push into shots or trying to get into a position while I’m already on the ice. Now I can get back up, then move, unless time doesn’t warrant that.”

Roloson also tends to play more aggressively atop his crease, something Jean will have to be careful not to try and change too much, the way he appeared to with Ellis, or how Melanson has with Luongo.

Agreed. Half the time the Sharks looked like they were standing still compared to the Canucks.

Game 3 is starting- nice to hear that O Canada was sung just about as loudly as Star Spangled Banner in San Jose!

If the Canucks are about to win the cup, I will be in Vancouver. I am kind of an opportunistic fan, I admit, but I LOVE a city-wide street party and I won't miss it if we win!

The reffing is this Van/SJ series is making it much less enjoyable. Let's see some 5 on 5 hockey for once. Let the boys play dammit!

It is pretty ridic. But at least we finally capitalized on the pp... 3 times in a row.

It's the opposite of the Nashville series.

More like Moose. They won't be the Jets.

they've received a lot of support for the jets though... might be kind cool.

just as long as it's not winnipeg pooh bears :)

bob mckenzie was saying that the season ticket drive might require 2 or 3 years of commitment from fans... ie. plan on dropping about 10-15 grand for tickets in order for the NHL to consider it viable.

My boyfriend and his friends said they heard "Polar Bears" and "Bears" were being considered for the Winnipeg team.. no thanks!

ugh... That would be pretty weird considering there is already a team with a bear as their mascot. They will be the Jets!

We Want The Cup! We Want The Cup!

The Cup Is Coming Back Home To Canada!!!!

Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge heads up play by bieksa on that one. Lucky break with the bounce, but history was on our side.

I'm totally buying tickets to game 1 or 2. I told myself that if we made it to the finals I'd fork over the dough... especially now that I've got that old line of credit...

Yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!

Huge heads up play by bieksa on that one. Lucky break with the bounce, but history was on our side.

I'm totally buying tickets to game 1 or 2. I told myself that if we made it to the finals I'd fork over the dough... especially now that I've got that old line of credit...

Did I mention my sister has tickets to Game #5? Y'know, a potentially STANLEY CUP CLINCHING GAME #5?!?!? Unfortunately, my Dad called dibs on those before the playoffs started; however I think they're starting to feel guilty about me not getting to go and searching for alternative tickets to that game as my Mom asked me "how long does it take to drive from Kelowna to Vancouver" today.

Also - I've been hearing horns NON-STOP since the goal, and I live in freakin' Prince George!!

We Want The Cup! We Want The Cup!

The Cup Is Coming Back Home To Canada!!!!

Yeah, I thought this in 2007. Just remember, it's not a good idea for your D to score an goal into their own net. *sigh*

But Kesler's really helping his push for the Conn Smythe.

Archived