• You were waitlisted at McMaster
    • You have accepted your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have declined your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have withdrawn yourself from the waitlist at McMaster
    • You have the sudden urge to participate

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know if McMaster has a good and bad waitlist? I just heard that some emails indicated something along the lines of "based on your position on the waitlist, it is unlikely that you will receive an offer...", while others don't indicate this.

Can anyone confirm?

Does anyone know if McMaster has a good and bad waitlist? I just heard that some emails indicated something along the lines of "based on your position on the waitlist, it is unlikely that you will receive an offer...", while others don't indicate this.

Can anyone confirm?

My email did not indicate anything like this, in fact the opposite, it states clearly that they cannot give us any information on where we are on the waitlist. It doesn't sound likely that they would give some WL'ers information on their position and not others. That's my sense anyway.

Just so you all know I will be removing myself from the waitlist, as I'm going to accept at Western.

I hope you all get in and if not, apply again next year, you're all fantastic candidates. Best of luck, everyone!

Best of luck to you too! And congrats!

Can anyone confirm?

Some other schools have done that like Ottawa; McMaster does not do this.

Hey Lupe (every time I see your name I think of the chambermaid who tucks the sheets in too tight in Seinfeld) did you get a chance to contact Wendy today?

+1. Good call.

I never thought of that before, but will from now on every time I see Lupe's name

Hmm, looking at these poll numbers, it seems pretty indicative of past Mac trends. It would be interesting to see how many people get in off the waitlist out of those who responded to this poll. Too bad we can't do this type of analysis, since the poll is anonymous.

Hmm, looking at these poll numbers, it seems pretty indicative of past Mac trends. It would be interesting to see how many people get in off the waitlist out of those who responded to this poll. Too bad we can't do this type of analysis, since the poll is anonymous.

I don't think this poll is too accurate. I can count at least 15 users who are rejecting/declining the waitlist at mac, and the poll only says 9 in total. I doubt this poll is indicative of any waitlist movement, and probably makes the odds of getting in off the waitlist look worse than it is.

So I just called Wendy, and Sue picked up. lol.

So I spoke to her for a while.

I asked her if McMaster over-accepts and she flat out said "NO." Then, I said a friend of mine spoke to Wendy and she said they do over-accept "moderately," and she was shocked and said she wasn't sure about this.

Sue went on to explain to me that she's been working there for a while and she also told me that if she gets 5 declines this week, she will send out 5 offers next week. That is simply how it works.

She was genuinely surprised that Wendy said they over-accepted. I mentioned specific dates like most people hearing after May 26 on pre-med indicating that they do over-accept and the AFMC data and then she asked for my name (maybe she thought I was an employee at another school); I promptly responded that I'm the maid from Seinfeld. She said that offers HAVE gone out before May 26 in the past (the big date is May 27th this year) and she said the only reason the wait is so long is because many people are deciding what school to go to at this point in time.

Lesson I learned: PLEASE don't bother the staff. They will not give you any information.

Excellent job Lupe!

Here is the e-mail that I received from Wendy:

Hello Inspiring-Curmudgeon,

McMaster moderately over-offers. We make offers as soon as we have spots. I believe we did have a spot or two open up prior to the first acceptance deadline last year and offers were made then - but it's anyone's guess whether we will this year. Most applicants seem to hang on to the last minute to make their decision - perhaps waiting for other offers from out-of-Province or just wanting to consider their options for as long as possible. There is absolutely no way for us to predict any of this.

Take care

Wendy

Thanks Lupe! That is very interesting, but the fact that both responses pretty much conflict with one another has me wondering what to believe. I guess, if Sue is correct we can assume at least six people should be getting offers in the upcoming week?

BTW

Thanks Lupe! That is very interesting, but the fact that both responses pretty much conflict with one another has me wondering what to believe. I guess, if Sue is correct we can assume at least six people should be getting offers in the upcoming week?

BTW

Why 6? That was a hypothetical number she threw up.

And I would trust Wendy! For one she is the big honcho at Mac and another reason is that she communicated that information via e-mail. E-mails are there forever so if anyone spoke to Wendy on the phone she couldn't say otherwise because we have an e-mail written by her.

EDIT: ahahahaha; that's hilarious!!!

Why 6? That was a hypothetical number she threw up.

And I would trust Wendy! For one she is the big honcho at Mac and another reason is that she communicated that information via e-mail. E-mails are there forever so if anyone spoke to Wendy on the phone she couldn't say otherwise because we have an e-mail written by her.

EDIT: ahahahaha; that's hilarious!!!

I think 6 is referring to the number of people who polled in this thread saying they were declining their offer (although it technically should be 9 for the extra 3 who have withdrew from the WL?).

I'm not sure who to believe... it's pretty frustrating getting two different responses for this issue though, especially considering how relatively simple and important it is to us.

That option probably reflects more "I will be declining my offer" as opposed to "I have declined my offer" so not necessarily 6 people will get offers next week. Also I'd think Wendy is correct on the over-accepting matter.

Edit: Also 3 people removing themselves from the waitlist doesn't mean 3 offers will go out

I don't think this poll is too accurate. I can count at least 15 users who are rejecting/declining the waitlist at mac, and the poll only says 9 in total. I doubt this poll is indicative of any waitlist movement, and probably makes the odds of getting in off the waitlist look worse than it is.
Sorry, I meant past trends seen on pm101 based on polls, not past trends for Mac itself. I should have clarified.

I think 6 is referring to the number of people who polled in this thread saying they were declining their offer (although it technically should be 9 for the extra 3 who have withdrew from the WL?).

I'm not sure who to believe... it's pretty frustrating getting two different responses for this issue though, especially considering how relatively simple and important it is to us.

How are people declining just responding to Wendy's E-mail or on OMSAS?

Similarly how are they accepting as most packages have not made through the mail system to respond to or through OMSAS?

A saying for hard times,

I been happy ever since I gave up hope!

Good luck to all and wishing success.

Someone posted this on last year's waitlist thread, "The class size last year was around 194. 540ish were interviewed. 300 had full file reviews ie: not rejected" and he/she said "I found the number 300 for full files reviewed by a previous poster who had apparently went to McMaster's admission conference."

I haven't seen any numbers like this before...does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Someone posted this on last year's waitlist thread, "The class size last year was around 194. 540ish were interviewed. 300 had full file reviews ie: not rejected" and he/she said "I found the number 300 for full files reviewed by a previous poster who had apparently went to McMaster's admission conference."

I haven't seen any numbers like this before...does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

I posted that information in a post on page 3 of this thread. I don't know if there's any truth to it but it seems feasible. That information tells me that the waitlist likely consists of around 80 to 100 people.

That full file review number of 300 doens't seem like it can be right. The class size is 203 plus 79 offers declined (2008/09) so that means 282 out of 300 get offers. That only gives them an 18 person cushion and I'm sure that cushion would be used up by people dropping off the waitlist. That's really cutting it close in terms of risking having to dip into the rejected pool.

That full file review number of 300 doens't seem like it can be right. The class size is 203 plus 79 offers declined (2008/09) so that means 282 out of 300 get offers. That only gives them an 18 person cushion and I'm sure that cushion would be used up by people dropping off the waitlist. That's really cutting it close in terms of risking having to dip into the rejected pool.

That 300 numbers was in reference to a class size of less than 200. I'm sure the number is probably larger right now.

That 300 numbers was in reference to a class size of less than 200. I'm sure the number is probably larger right now.

The class size he/she was referring to was 194, not much of a difference from 203. 300 full file reveiws still doesn't seem right for a class size of 194.

Archived