• You were waitlisted at McMaster
    • You have accepted your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have declined your offer of admission to McMaster
    • You have withdrawn yourself from the waitlist at McMaster
    • You have the sudden urge to participate

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 2008, the deadline to respond was May 30th and a few people got off the waitlist that day that posted on premed. Check out page 3 of this thread; I updated my original post to reflect more accurate data.

In 2007, 9 people posted about getting in off the waitlist. The AFMC shows 164 offers/72 declined.

In 2008, 7 people posted about getting in off the waitlist. The AFMC shows 181 offers/79 declined.

There is no more recent AFMC data but 19 people posted about getting in 2009 and 13 did in 2010.

I e-mailed OMSAS asking them:

"Do you know when OMSAS will notify the Ontario Medical Schools about all the applicants who have accepted/declined their offer? I understand that this information is sent in batches so I was wondering what the tentative date of sending that information to the Medical Schools would be."

They responded saying:

"Responses to offers of admission are sent daily and all other information is distributed weekly."

A waitlist of 145 actually makes a bit of sense. Considering the number of people who are waitlisted here but have acceptances at other schools, that list is going to substantially shrink. Even if they overaccept by 20%, it's not completely unrealistic for 60 people on the waitlist to take an acceptance elsewhere and our odds remain at 50%.

Well on the bright side, maybe they only over accept by 10% (or not at all!). And maybe lots more people than expected will reject their offers (maybe the list is so long because they expected a lot to reject). In other words, just because we know how long the list is, doesn't mean anything since everything else is speculation. Every one of us could still get in!

A waitlist of 145 actually makes a bit of sense. Considering the number of people who are waitlisted here but have acceptances at other schools, that list is going to substantially shrink. Even if they overaccept by 20%, it's not completely unrealistic for 60 people on the waitlist to take an acceptance elsewhere and our odds remain at 50%.

That's actually a very good point!!! I didn't think about it that way but your reasoning is sound.

Well on the bright side, maybe they only over accept by 10% (or not at all!). And maybe lots more people than expected will reject their offers (maybe the list is so long because they expected a lot to reject). In other words, just because we know how long the list is, doesn't mean anything since everything else is speculation. Every one of us could still get in!

They DEFINITELY over-accept. i-c confirmed it; Wendy responded to him that they over-accept moderately.

I'm surprised someone has such a specific number (145). I would love to know how they got it. Are they part of the adcom? Even Wendy doesn't have this data (or maybe she does and can't reveal it).

Either way, the figure seems about right for this year's class size...unfortunately.

I'm surprised someone has such a specific number (145). I would love to know how they got it. Are they part of the adcom? Even Wendy doesn't have this data (or maybe she does and can't reveal it).

Either way, the figure seems about right for this year's class size...unfortunately.

Yup, ADCOM.

I'm not sure if anyone's posted this yet, but I just did a quick check through last year's waitlist thread to see when most offers from the waitlist are given out. Here's what I found (note that last year I believe the initial deadline to respond was May 27, a Thursday)

Deadline week - 6 offers to waitlisters (first offer was on the 26)

1st week after deadline - 1 offer

2nd week - 0 offers

3rd week - 1 offer

July - 1 offer

So it appears most of the offers will be sent out this week!

I guess I'll repost this:

Accepted = 7

Rejected = 3

Waitlist = /

Accepted off Waitlist = 9 (May 29, May 29, May 29, May 29, May 30, June 1, June 1, June 4, June 8)

Accepted = 13

Rejected = /

Waitlist = 6

Accepted off Waitlist = 7 (May 30, May 30, May 30, May 30, June 16, June 16)

"Accepted from wait list. Email says I was on top of the wait list!" The poster said this, indicating if you get in your e-mail will say this.

Accepted = 23

Rejected =

Waitlist = 1

Accepted off Waitlist = 19 (May 26; May 26; May 29; May 29; May 29; May 29; May 29; May 29; June 1; June 2; June 2; June 3; June 3; June 8; June 10; June 10; June 11; June 12; June 15)

Accepted = 29

Rejected = 2

Waitlist = 6

Accepted off waitlist = 13 (May 26; May 27; May 27 May 27; May 27; May 27; May 28; May 28; May 28; May 31; May 31; June 16; July 7)

Accepted = 35

Rejected = 7

Waitlist = 13 (The poll says 34)

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to say that today I was accepted off the waitlist. This thread has been a constant companion for me since May 5th and I hope some people will find comfort from my post. I am sure that I will be seeing many of you next year.

Good luck!

Archived