Premed 101 Forums

Official 2011/2012 Applicant Thread

If I remember correctly from last cycle for your top 5 EC they give you additional space to write about it (e.g. why you felt it made an impact, etc).

Hi shikimate,

Do you know if you can include job experience as in EC? I would imagine you could, no?

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Calgary, you can include a maximum of 30 activities. You then have to say if the activity is an EC, volunteer thing, or employment. You then have 250 characters to describe the activity, duties, etc. You can choose up to 5 activities to be your "Top 5". The top 5 have an additional section for an impact statement, which is 1000 characters, iirc.

That was last cycle, so this cycle it may change.

for people who have applied to calgary, whats on their application form?? Like obviously theres' ECs, but what other categories... and since im a nursing student.. will i be able to include my clinical experiences anywhere?
Yeah, you can include your clinical experience.

Hi shikimate,

Do you know if you can include job experience as in EC? I would imagine you could, no?

Job would go under employment.

all this talk about applications is getting me excited.. and its motivating me to study hard for the mcat !!

Awesome to hear, hockey_whiz! That was the whole point of this thread. So we can go through it all together, motivate each other, ask questions... and also it's been nice to have some accepted applicants give advice our way.

App cycle #3.... hoping that third time's a charm!

Decent MCAT: 12/9/11/R (Damn that VR! Why couldn't it have stayed at the 11 I had last time!)

GPA: Sucks from UG, taking some courses through AU this year (so far 4.0 GPA from the new courses, but that's only with one course's marks in! LOL). Taking nursing to increase said sucky GPA. Moving out will hopefully aid this.

ECs: Well, I think they rock (but who knows what the adcome will think!). 14ish years of competitive skating. 13 years of volunteering with Canskate. Weekend coaching course. 1 year paid Canskate coaching position. 9ish years partnering the younger skaters for their skating dance practices/tests. Numerous awards/tests/medals from skating (one provincial championship, a few top 5 provincial finishes). Tons of scholarships from grade 12 (not that they matter much). At least one publication before applications are due (depending on how things go, I could have several more). Research grant. Research position. Lots of other stuff. Lol. I think I might max out my OMSAS stuff this year.....

Will be applying to: UofA, UofC, Mac, Queens, and maybe McGill (depending on some certain key things)

Also: Will be moving out in August! :D That's probably the most exciting (and much needed) thing.....

Good luck to everyone applying this year! Hopefully I'll see some of you as my classmates this coming year! (knock on wood for all of us.....)

Decent MCAT: 12/9/11/R (Damn that VR! Why couldn't it have stayed at the 11 I had last time!)

GPA: Sucks from UG, taking some courses through AU this year (so far 4.0 GPA from the new courses, but that's only with one course's marks in! LOL). Taking nursing to increase said sucky GPA. Moving out will hopefully aid this.

ECs: Well, I think they rock (but who knows what the adcome will think!). 14ish years of competitive skating. 13 years of volunteering with Canskate. Weekend coaching course. 1 year paid Canskate coaching position. 9ish years partnering the younger skaters for their skating dance practices/tests. Numerous awards/tests/medals from skating (one provincial championship, a few top 5 provincial finishes). Tons of scholarships from grade 12 (not that they matter much). At least one publication before applications are due (depending on how things go, I could have several more). Research grant. Research position. Lots of other stuff. Lol. I think I might max out my OMSAS stuff this year.....

Will be applying to: UofA, UofC, Mac, Queens, and maybe McGill (depending on some certain key things)

Also: Will be moving out in August! :D That's probably the most exciting (and much needed) thing.....

Good luck to everyone applying this year! Hopefully I'll see some of you as my classmates this coming year! (knock on wood for all of us.....)

Best of luck, cnb! So glad to hear you will be making your move!! Freeeeedom :)

What schools did you apply to in the past?

They have to reserve seats for Quebec...understandable to a degree...it's not like many of them actually apply outside of Quebec

Thanks for the tip on Calg, TOK

Yes you are most likely right. I think right off the bat, many student that live outside Montreal and Gatineau don't even speak English that well (or at all). People outside Montreal tend to stay a lot within where they've always lived. Montreal, there's more chance of people going elsewhere, and definitely a higher percentage of bilingualism!

For the 3 French schools - looks like QC has a deal with the maritime provinces. Besides that, there seems to be about 1 spot reserved for a francophone student from outside QC/maritimes (either French school, or pass a French test) and then a few for international/army... I'm sure it's at most 1 spot at Montreal and Laval, not specified for Sherbrooke. I'm kinda surprised at this actually, but I guess the 3 schools really specifically cater to the QC population.

I didn't look specifically at McGill who I imagine takes more OOP students.

I think Sherbrooke may be less strict than Montreal or Laval...I personally know two OOP (non-maritime) students who matriculated at Sherbrooke (although in different years).

are you in the nursing after degree program? if so, where at?

Best of luck, cnb! So glad to hear you will be making your move!! Freeeeedom :)

What schools did you apply to in the past?

Thanks Cerena! Good luck to you too! I hope this is your year!

Haha! Exactly! There was an old commercial from a few years ago where the dad is giving a speech at his daughter's wedding and at one point yells "FREEEEEEEDOM!" Your comment totally reminded me of that! Which is what I'll be yelling out the car window all the way to where-ever I move (which could be a very long drive! Lol!)

For the past 2 years I applied to UofA, UofC, Mac and Queens. My first app cycle I applied to UBC and Ottawa too, but didn't last year because with my GPA, I wouldn't get an interview OOP anyway, so I figured I'd save some money! Lol!

Might apply to Ottawa this year though too- depends where I end up come September.

are you in the nursing after degree program? if so, where at?

Nope- not in nursing yet. Will be starting in September. Leaning away from the AD program (after some thought) so that a) I can move farther away and B) increase my GPA more than with only 2 years (with courses that won't count because they're in Spring). Haven't heard back yet from all the schools I applied to, so not sure where I'll be come September yet.

I think Sherbrooke may be less strict than Montreal or Laval...I personally know two OOP (non-maritime) students who matriculated at Sherbrooke (although in different years).

Yeah it's possible. Laval and Montreal specify there's only 1 spot per year, Sherbrooke doesn't give any number and I couldn't find stats about it either. I have a feeling it's probably no more than 2 or 3 per cohort year.

Hey everyone!

I'm writing my MCAT this summer, and going into my fourth and final year of undergraduate studies.

Will be applying this coming cycle, to Michael G. DeGroote, Schulich as well as UoFT.

A friend is much more valuable than an enemy, so I'm glad we can all support each other through this daunting task as a collegiate whole :)

Best of luck.

Thanks Cerena! Good luck to you too! I hope this is your year!

Haha! Exactly! There was an old commercial from a few years ago where the dad is giving a speech at his daughter's wedding and at one point yells "FREEEEEEEDOM!" Your comment totally reminded me of that! Which is what I'll be yelling out the car window all the way to where-ever I move (which could be a very long drive! Lol!)

For the past 2 years I applied to UofA, UofC, Mac and Queens. My first app cycle I applied to UBC and Ottawa too, but didn't last year because with my GPA, I wouldn't get an interview OOP anyway, so I figured I'd save some money! Lol!

Might apply to Ottawa this year though too- depends where I end up come September.

Aw, too bad you're not applying to UBC! My gutt tells me if I ever get in anywhere it will be there haha. But who knows?

And that's great that you're moving! If you ever need any pre-moving advice, I'm an expert at it haha. Where are you making the move to?

I'm applying to the cycle for the first time. I plan to apply to U of C (IP), Dalhousie, Mac, Queens, Toronto, and UWO. Right now I just have to get through the MCAT....

Goodluck, FM :)! With apps and the MCAT. What year are you in?

Hey everyone!

I'm writing my MCAT this summer, and going into my fourth and final year of undergraduate studies.

Will be applying this coming cycle, to Michael G. DeGroote, Schulich as well as UoFT.

A friend is much more valuable than an enemy, so I'm glad we can all support each other through this daunting task as a collegiate whole :)

Best of luck.

Oh good luck on the MCAT! And, the portion I bolded, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm applying to the cycle for the first time. I plan to apply to U of C (IP), Dalhousie, Mac, Queens, Toronto, and UWO. Right now I just have to get through the MCAT....

Yay MCAT!

Just wondering - if you are IP for Alberta, why aren't you applying to U of A as well?

Goodluck, FM ! With apps and the MCAT. What year are you in?

I'm going into my fourth year. I'm so happy undergrad is almost done with.

Yay MCAT!

Just wondering - if you are IP for Alberta, why aren't you applying to U of A as well?

I haven't taken o-chem, nor do I ever plan to take o-chem. It's kind of a lame excuse, but oh well. I've never been a fan of chem overall.

Good luck in your MCAT studying!

I haven't taken o-chem, nor do I ever plan to take o-chem. It's kind of a lame excuse, but oh well. I've never been a fan of chem overall.

If you don't like chem or at least can't see yourself muscling through 4 months of it, avoiding o-chem is probably a good idea.

Good luck in your MCAT studying!

Fair enough. I made myself take ochem with the mindset that I was probably going to hate it (I had failed ochem 3 years ago). Oddly, I ended up falling in love with it, got an A+, decided to do a chem minor. If I have to do a second degree, I want a chem degree. Everyone I know thinks I am very strange for loving ochem.... I'm doing an ochem summer research project. ...yup, thats more about me than you wanted to know. :rolleyes:

But there are a lot of school that don't need ochem. And I do understand not liking it. U of A has a ton of prereqs. I ended up taking this last year out of my psych degree to get them all done.

Fair enough. I made myself take ochem with the mindset that I was probably going to hate it (I had failed ochem 3 years ago). Oddly, I ended up falling in love with it, got an A+, decided to do a chem minor. If I have to do a second degree, I want a chem degree. Everyone I know thinks I am very strange for loving ochem.... I'm doing an ochem summer research project. ...yup, thats more about me than you wanted to know. :rolleyes:

Oh my gosh! I did the same too :) I loved ochem and everyone thought I was a weird. I did an independent study, became an ochem TA, and yeah the whole shabang.

Cerena you probably need to help me with o -chem T_T

I'd lurve to. That's the only part of the damn test I actually enjoyed.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to apply to Mac. Before I apply there, I have a quick question about the CASPer. How soon after submitting the app do you write the CASPer? Do they just like fling it at you? lol

Archived