Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist hope box!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So guess its a good idea to start looking into other options to fill up the year.

What are your plan Bs? I'm still uncertain. Likely working I guess...

Hopefully the waitlist moves a lot! But with the new facility, recent change in clerkship structure, I'm thinking there won't be as movement as in the past.

It's not too late to apply to a master's program. When I was waitlisted in '10 I immediately applied to a grad degree that I'm finishing now. You could also apply to one-year ones. There are also tons of research opportunities available that you could look into (especially in Toronto), just find an area you're interested in and google it and you should be able to find a list of emails.

Personally, my plan B right now is Ireland. Good schools good reputation decent match rate back to Canada. But still praying for movement (I'd rather not graduate with 250K in debt). I don't expect the new facility and clerkship to affect the movement as much as you do. Hopefully for both of our sakes I'm right :)

It's not too late to apply to a master's program. When I was waitlisted in '10 I immediately applied to a grad degree that I'm finishing now. You could also apply to one-year ones. There are also tons of research opportunities available that you could look into (especially in Toronto), just find an area you're interested in and google it and you should be able to find a list of emails.

Personally, my plan B right now is Ireland. Good schools good reputation decent match rate back to Canada. But still praying for movement (I'd rather not graduate with 250K in debt). I don't expect the new facility and clerkship to affect the movement as much as you do. Hopefully for both of our sakes I'm right :)

Would you still be able to get funding if you applied to a grad degree now? Obviously OGS is out of the question, but I mean internal funding.

I alternate between being in complete depression (can't do anything...can't focus on things... Just looking at the clock as the time passes (watched Sherlock haha...really good)) because of the "larger chances of not accepted" and facebook group for 2016 Queen's (slowly filling up) and then in complete optimism because of the existence of incredible waitlister's story.

Seriously, if I get accepted off the waitlist, I'm going to

1) write in non-trad forum about my story

1)+ finally get rid of my mcat prep book.

2) get LOC

3) use that LOC to travel

I have no job, no commitments, nor do I have friends in my hometown.

I once read that some people were mistakenly told they were accepted last year by Queen, then got notified that they were indeed rejected.

that was for interviews last year

Also opposite.. applicants were mistakenly told they were rejected but was actually selected for interview

because of the "larger chances of not accepted" and facebook group for 2016 Queen's (slowly filling up)

I wouldn't worry so much about the facebook group filling up. I just checked it out, and out of the 162 members, I know three of them, and one is a 3rd year, the other is a 2nd year, and the other one is still deciding which school to accept. I know 3/162 isn't a good sample size, but if it's any indicator what the rest of the group is like, we know there's a lot of upper years and maybes in the group. Keep your fingers crossed!

I wouldn't worry so much about the facebook group filling up. I just checked it out, and out of the 162 members, I know three of them, and one is a 3rd year, the other is a 2nd year, and the other one is still deciding which school to accept. I know 3/162 isn't a good sample size, but if it's any indicator what the rest of the group is like, we know there's a lot of upper years and maybes in the group. Keep your fingers crossed!
Yeah, more than half of the group are 2015s (and a few 2014s) and quite a few people are still undecided.

called adcom.. they say unlikely movement before the deadline as they are still waiting on many responses
They say that every year. I think that it's a safe answer just in case there isn't movement before the deadline, but there is still a (small?) possibility.

I just declined my spot (OOP) in favor of another offer.

It was really tough to make the final decision. In the end, since I am a non-trad applicant and have family obligations that make it harder to move, I decided to decline Queen's and stay in my home province. I wish all of you the best while you endure the limbo of being waitlisted; I hope that you get in!

Archived