Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist hope box!

congratulations on all that persistence and two acceptances! Did you do anything significantly different that you think explained why you got in this time?.. some help for those of us already gearing up to forget about wait lists and move on.

Overall I think I just got more life experience and matured a lot. This time going into my interview, I just felt less intimidated in the interview and just spoke instead of thinking. In fact, I had thought I was too relaxed, especially in one of the MMI stations :eek:.

Looking back, this time around, I didn't really feel that getting in was going to make-or-break my self-concept, where as before it was like the most important thing ever, and i think that really tripped me up. This time I was just like, whatever, I'm going to prepare my ass off, just say what's on my mind, and whatever happens, happens. Getting an acceptance early on at a few US schools definitely relaxed me as well :D.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks so much! I'm just trying to decide whether to actually do a course based masters even though I'm not really interested - I have a really interesting job and travel and a great volunteering position at a hospital - do you think the masters really makes the difference if you are around a 3.75 gpa?

nope unless Msc in ivy league school?

unless you are like a star child in the lab and publish several papers/go to conference/win great scholarships.

I don't really think getting post grad gives any candidate a competitive edge per say. If you want to maximize chance, I fear 2nd undergrad is much more appreciated than pursuing "higher education"

BTW congratulation on your acceptance, it must have been a crazy week for you! I envy you! :P Whatever choice you make, I hope it's the right one.

so 3 acceptances yesterday + 1 today (plus alpha maybe 2 or 3 more?) at queen's huh? it's a very slow process *sigh*

Have you noticed that its the people who don't chat in hopebox who gets the acceptance?

Buying my ticket out of ON now then.

ive heard everything ranging from 100-250 (or more even..) which really worries me. I think it's best not to get one's hopes up, yet still a small amount of positivity is always a good thing for those in our shoes! Good luck everybody, hope there's more significant WL movement in the days to come!

Inspi(red), what I mean is bigger movement than the 3 or 4 waitlist offers we've seen in the Queens' forum and facebook group haha.

Traditionally though Queens has been a heavy movement school though, even last year with the new building and stuff...

For what its worth, I know a guy who had a 3.9 something GPA, and didn't get in anywhere after some interviews his first time around, and then reapplied after a year and got in, so no a master's won't necessarily help. BUT then again, it helped for me, because last year I didn't get an interview at mac, but I guess the Master's bonus helped me enough to get an interview this time around, and you get a special review for Queen's if your a master's student, I believe. I think whatever you do, focus on just growing as a person, I used it as an excuse to do new things, and just mature. Seriously, if you got an interview, that means they wanted you, and its not your stats holding you back.

Quoted for truth. I think as pre-med's we all want to get in the first time around, but because of the sheer numbers of qualified candidates it just doesn't happen for everybody. So if you don't get in this year, chin up! At least you proved that you can get to the interview stage, and that you're one of a select group of very lucky candidates to even have a sniff at this wonderful profession!

PS. I think I know you in real life ajain.

Amen to that!

I sent queens an email yesterday asking about WL movement and got no reply. Called them twice and got voicemail. sigh just wished we had more answers about what's going on.

I know, I really hope this year isn't going to be the first in which the waitlist movement is minimal. I wonder what they could be up to that keeps them away from the phones. Oh well, here's to more hope.

I've been a forum lurker for sometime as well and hoping for the best for everyone! But out of curiosity, does anyone know anything about how they review files on the waitlist? I would think they already rank waitlist candidates but maybe they review waitlisted applicants again in some capacity. Perhaps that is why they don't tell you anything about where people are on the waitlist? Anyone care to comment while we continue hoping and praying and trying to keep our minds occupied???

boo 182 now. 3 people added in the last half hour-- guess there has been movement today?
Current Queen's students are also still being slowly added to the group. And people might not join the group until a few days after they accept the offer/there's movement. Also, to join the group you have to be added by an admin and right now there may be a bit of a backlog adding people to the group since the 1st years are in rural communities.

Archived