Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist hope box!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dropped into the office this time- word now i 100% no chance of moving before the 29th, the lady said the new building and curriculum probably slowed things down (ie fewer people dropping)

Did this lady have inside knowledge or was she just guessing (you used the word probably)?

big sigh :(

gosh people reject queens! you don't want to go there! pick uoft or mac or uwo! LOL

So I went on my friend's account who's in first year at Queen's meds and creeped the facebook group and by counting everyone she's mutual friends with as someone who's in the upper year class, I came up with around 75ish students who are in the 2016 class (yup im obsessed) so it's getting pretty full :mad: hopefully it doesn't continue to grow that much which would mean about 20 seats left!!

fingers crossed for all of us.

big sigh :(

gosh people reject queens! you don't want to go there! pick uoft or mac or uwo! LOL

So I went on my friend's account who's in first year at Queen's meds and creeped the facebook group and by counting everyone she's mutual friends with as someone who's in the upper year class, I came up with around 75ish students who are in the 2016 class (yup im obsessed) so it's getting pretty full :mad: hopefully it doesn't continue to grow that much which would mean about 20 seats left!!

fingers crossed for all of us.

I would try not to think about it too much. For one, some students may have joined to ask questions about Queens. Plus, a lot of waitlistees accepted at other places are going to be pulling themselves from the Queens waitlist (since they cannot hold out for Queens). Finally, this sort of analysis happens ever and every year some people will get off the wait-list. My guess is it's a pretty big wait-list so don't hold your breath. If it happens it happens, but it's best to move on.

I was perusing website and I stumbled on this, of course this applies more specifically to ivy-league school in states, but still thought interesting.

Food for thought?

"Reasons a Candidate May be Waitlisted

The answers to these questions depend on why the candidate was placed on the waitlist in the first place. Many times, it simply comes down to the numbers; a candidate's GPA, MCAT scores and professional credentials are less impressive than those of other applicants. If a candidate is placed on the waitlist because of marginal credentials, the odds of being admitted are slim. Yet applicants are often waitlisted for non-academic (ie political) reasons, to save face for both the university and the applicant. Here are a few common scenarios:

1) An extremely strong applicant has personal problems and is considered unstable. His/her reference letters suggest a poor fit for a top-level program. Rather than citing the negative feedback as the reason for rejection (and risk a lawsuit), the school will waitlist the candidate.

2) An exceptional candidate from a school is rejected, while a lesser-ranked member of his/her class (with legacy or minority status) gets in. Rather than trying to explain the underlying bias, the school will usually waitlist the exceptional candidate, with no intention of actually admitting him/her.

3) An average or mediocre candidate is highly recommended by a faculty member, alumni, board member or university trustee. Rather than insult the applicant's benefactor, the school will waitlist the candidate, rather than rejecting him.

4) A highly desirable candidate has known personal interest or ties to another school (ie, his/her parents are alumni there). Rather than accept this candidate (who will likely choose to go elsewhere), a school may waitlist him/her to eliminate a negative effect on their yield statistics. Medical school rankings are based partially on selectivity, and all top schools keep a watchful eye on yield. They prefer to admit only students who are eager to attend their school."

fair enough no more being a debbie downer!

so this will be my last fb-related post...dont worry its a good one: the number of people in the group has dropped since I last checked so yay :D

Cheers all...I'm leechblocking this site and the facebook group site for the next few days so I don't go nutso. good luck to all of us! We'll all get in this year or in the future! :)

fair enough no more being a debbie downer!

so this will be my last fb-related post...dont worry its a good one: the number of people in the group has dropped since I last checked so yay :D

Cheers all...I'm leechblocking this site and the facebook group site for the next few days so I don't go nutso. good luck to all of us! We'll all get in this year or in the future! :)

Addendum to last post: only good news about facebook:)!

does anyone happen to know if we are realistically expecting any waitlisters to receive offers tomorrow? Or is that purely speculation..? Was assuming that it may take a few days or even a week to sort things out before they send anything?

also - for those of us that happen to get lucky, will it be an email or call? (anyone know from previous years) presumably we aren't responsible for checking SOLUS every second as of tomorrow... :P

does anyone happen to know if we are realistically expecting any waitlisters to receive offers tomorrow? Or is that purely speculation..? Was assuming that it may take a few days or even a week to sort things out before they send anything?

also - for those of us that happen to get lucky, will it be an email or call? (anyone know from previous years) presumably we aren't responsible for checking SOLUS every second as of tomorrow... :P

Know one knows for sure, but there will be movement after the deadline. Since I did not receive an acceptance I cannot say when the exact deadline to accept is. It could be wednesday or it could even be later. Likely tomorrow or Wednesday.

One shed of optimism for us waitlisters. Because there was no movement before the deadline, people who held acceptances at other schools but were holding out for a spot at queens will be forced to give up their waitlist spot. On the VERY LOOSE assumption that they were stronger applicants (because they've gotten in elsewhere) you can then suggest that they held higher waitlist spots, bringing all of you closer to the front. Hoooooray!

One shed of optimism for us waitlisters. Because there was no movement before the deadline, people who held acceptances at other schools but were holding out for a spot at queens will be forced to give up their waitlist spot. On the VERY LOOSE assumption that they were stronger applicants (because they've gotten in elsewhere) you can then suggest that they held higher waitlist spots, bringing all of you closer to the front. Hoooooray!

I keep telling myself this, but I felt the Queen's interview, at least the MMI part, was fairly unique and thus required a unique skill set. Prediction/wishful thinking: Benge was ranked 101 and Holiday was ranked 102 :).

I keep telling myself this, but I felt the Queen's interview, at least the MMI part, was fairly unique and thus required a unique skill set. Prediction/wishful thinking: Benge was ranked 101 and Holiday was ranked 102 :).

i'd like to think i was high ranked.. but who knows, really. my vr/gpa helped me a bunch at mac though, so don't get your hopes up :P

Archived