Premed 101 Forums

2012 Waitlist Thread

^^For that reason, I agree with you and suspect that Western doesn't want people to decline offers because they are initially placed in Windsor. So rather than placing them, just say unspecified, because it will end up being London in the end.

The thing is... I've heard of more than 35 people getting unspecified offers. It's actually quite prevalent. Which makes me think, they did it to ~40-50% of the class. Pure speculation though.

Either way, London or Windsor, I'll be ecstatic at both. Windsor seems like you get a lot of individual attention.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got campus unspecified and I must say it was a major determining factor in my decision. Mac had the courtesy to tell me what campus i would attend there so I don't know why western can't. I didn't want to risk the possibility of going to Windsor (not fond of satellite campuses), so I eliminated it from my options pretty quickly.

Western should prob consider reorganizing the way they do their offers if they want to attract students with multiple acceptances

I'd really like to think that Western isn't over-accepting more than 171 students. I'd find that strange since the number of people on the high waitlist seems to be about the same.

(If they over-accepted I'd expect the people on the high waitlist to be a little less since there would be fewer potential spots available)

That being said, it's just some optimistic speculation.

Another good note is that Ottawa's waitlist is moving. The more schools that get waitlist movement before Western the better for us! :D

*Edit* Even Mac had 1 confirmed waitlist call.

I got campus unspecified and I must say it was a major determining factor in my decision. Mac had the courtesy to tell me what campus i would attend there so I don't know why western can't. I didn't want to risk the possibility of going to Windsor (not fond of satellite campuses), so I eliminated it from my options pretty quickly.

Western should prob consider reorganizing the way they do their offers if they want to attract students with multiple acceptances

I think UWO will not be doing that again... Lots of people left because of it.

? I don't understand that logic. You said outright that you wouldn't accept a satellite campus position but then you criticize the University for not overtly saying "Windsor" in the interim. They aren't going to list someone as London campus if they can't give them a spot at the Main campus, so they say 'unspecified' to avoid having you be let down if you bank on being in one city over the other.

It's lose-lose either way for some people, but it saves some of the initial disappointment for others who want London but fall outside the top 130 rank (not that there is a lick of difference between candidate #133 and #153).

As for the waitlist movement, just be patient if you are on it. Western always seems to be a little slow on the draw and every year it sends people into a panic, but the list tends to move a reasonable amount, and pretty fast once it does. The only important date for waitlisting is when you start getting into the end of June when offers have trickled down to the last few.

So the facebook group stands at about 85 people (134 members minus about ~50 current med school-ers). Don't know whether to be optimistic and say 'yay, there seems to be lots of space!' or the pessimistic view that people have probably just been slow on adding the group.

I also agree that in the long run it's a good thing that Western is slow on the uptake. Better chance of people being accepted off the waitlist at other schools first.

So the facebook group stands at about 85 people (134 members minus about ~50 current med school-ers). Don't know whether to be optimistic and say 'yay, there seems to be lots of space!' or the pessimistic view that people have probably just been slow on adding the group.

I also agree that in the long run it's a good thing that Western is slow on the uptake. Better chance of people being accepted off the waitlist at other schools first.

40 physical spots is a huge number for waitlist movement!! :D Be positive dassy, otherwise how are we ever going to get to know each other!? :eek:

40 physical spots is a huge number for waitlist movement!! :D Be positive dassy, otherwise how are we ever going to get to know each other!? :eek:

Well if we want to be super optimistic and say everyone who has been accepted joined the facebook group, then there is like 80 spots still left :P and awww I really hope that I can get in as well, but it seems very unlikely. I'm trying not to feel too dejected about going to grad school next year, just found out I got an OGS scholarship if that makes it any better? :(

Well if we want to be super optimistic and say everyone who has been accepted joined the facebook group, then there is like 80 spots still left :P and awww I really hope that I can get in as well, but it seems very unlikely. I'm trying not to feel too dejected about going to grad school next year, just found out I got an OGS scholarship if that makes it any better? :(

OGS definitely makes it better. That is 15000$ tax free on top of your funding. Considering the job market these days I'd say that it ain't bad. Hopefully, you chose a masters that doesn't require much work.

Traditionally the waitlist movement has been around 40-50 people each year. According to some publication floating around on here.

The last time they reported numbers was 2008/2009. In previous years, it was waaay more movement, like 70-80.

Traditionally the waitlist movement has been around 40-50 people each year. According to some publication floating around on here.

The last time they reported numbers was 2008/2009. In previous years, it was waaay more movement, like 70-80.

Do you guys think that Ontario schools have more waitlist movement, because our schools do not discriminate as much based on province of origin?

Do you guys think that Ontario schools have more waitlist movement, because our schools do not discriminate as much based on province of origin?

Ontario is super competitive. That is for sure. We are like California in the US. Lots of Californians go out of state to get their education, simply because there aren't enough spots.

I think most of the seats in Ontario are taken by Ontario students. I just think that Ontario students who get into one school are likely to get into multiple schools. Hence why there is waitlist movement.

1 applicant could have been accepted at 3-4 Ontario schools and they can only pick one... boom, 3 people off the waitlists at the other schools.

OGS definitely makes it better. That is 15000$ tax free on top of your funding. Considering the job market these days I'd say that it ain't bad. Hopefully, you chose a masters that doesn't require much work.

Molecular genetics masters, lots and lots of work :( And I would have gotten $17,000 from the department (without the scholarship), but with OGS they'll top me up to $18,000...so really it's only an extra grand. Nothing to get terrible excited about lol But atleast it's something I can put down on my ABS for the next cycle :P

Molecular genetics masters, lots and lots of work :( And I would have gotten $17,000 from the department (without the scholarship), but with OGS they'll top me up to $18,000...so really it's only an extra grand. Nothing to get terrible excited about lol But atleast it's something I can put down on my ABS for the next cycle :P

So you are going to one of those schools (the ones that limit your total funding). Sorry to hear that.

what school are you planning on doing the masters?

So you are going to one of those schools (the ones that limit your total funding). Sorry to hear that.

I think getting over $30,000 worth of funding (+tuition fees) would be ridiculous for a master's student lol

what school are you planning on doing the masters?

UofT, same as my undergrad. It's pretty much the only option for stem cell research inside Canada. Currently in Oxford for the summer researching it :)

I think getting over $30,000 worth of funding (+tuition fees) would be ridiculous for a master's student lol

UofT, same as my undergrad. It's pretty much the only option for stem cell research inside Canada. Currently in Oxford for the summer researching it :)

Every school will cut you back in some way. I have a friend doing his PhD at U of T and he had the same problem re: OGS. Basically, not worth much if you get it aside from being a resume booster. I was at Carleton and received all of my funding (OGS plus internal). I think that year I brought in about what you are talking, but that was for a PhD. Plus, I think Carleton recently changed its rules. Many schools have, since it is easier to cut back grad students below the poverty line than it is to cut back your administration with their sweet ass pensions.

So it is official...Western is the last university to send out waitlist offers. Anyone else (who isn't on the high waitlist) not diasppointed by this? I'm hoping for the latest date the offers can be sent, so the waitlist might go a bit lower. Wishful thinking I know :P

cool i did my 4th year thesis in stem cell phys, best of luck

So it is official...Western is the last university to send out waitlist offers. Anyone else (who isn't on the high waitlist) not diasppointed by this? I'm hoping for the latest date the offers can be sent, so the waitlist might go a bit lower. Wishful thinking I know :P

why would the high wait listers be disappointed?

Archived