Premed 101 Forums

2012 Waitlist Thread

do you think its a good or bad thing for us waitlisters that we won't hear anything til next week? Seems like all the other schools are slowing down and there wasn't all that much movement overall. Or maybe just not a lot of people posting. I wonder if a bunch of people jumped ship because they didn't know which campus they were assigned to? ... that would be excellent news. :D

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do you think its a good or bad thing for us waitlisters that we won't hear anything til next week? Seems like all the other schools are slowing down and there wasn't all that much movement overall. Or maybe just not a lot of people posting. I wonder if a bunch of people jumped ship because they didn't know which campus they were assigned to? ... that would be excellent news. :D

Idk.. not to be a negative nancy or anything but I'd imagine the whole reason Western changed it up this year with unspecified campus offers and such was precisely to avoid the whole jumping ship problem.

I heard that there were several people who said no to their wait list because of being given an unspecified campus which is clearly Windsor...

Also, people on the waitlist, did not get an unspecified campus. They aren't given a campus at all.

Actually, unspecified campus does not mean Windsor. Both London and Windsor campuses remain unfilled.

Besides, some people would be really angry if they got unspecified campus and were given an outright admission on May 15th, and then got placed in Windsor. I know a lot of people that got into multiple places and chose other schools based on the fact that they got unspecified campus.

I hate to say it, but Windsor is for people that requested it and waitlisters.

Unspecified campus is simply

A - There are 130+ spots in London

B - There are 30+ spots in Windsor

C - There are 170-ish offers sent out immediately

D - There are <30+ people who put Windsor as their top campus

E - There will be less than 130+ acceptances from the first group

That is why 'unspecified' was sent out. It doesn't make much sense to tell someone they got in at Windsor and then wait 3 weeks to tell them, oh wait, we can send you to London if you want. There are lots of people in a few of the classes who wanted to go to Windsor for personal reasons (which is great) but there are a lot who don't want to be at a satellite campus. There is no guarantee that you won't be sent to Windsor as the London campus spots fill up, but you also are already in a pre-rank queue for that. If you got an initial offer everyone on the wait-list is going to Windsor before you. While the movement may seem slow, there is always a lot more of it than you think.

I hate to say it, but Windsor is for people that requested it and waitlisters.

That is probably true - Windsor, like most satellite campuses, is not as popular as the main campus I guess.

For awhile now I have been trying to figure out which campus I would have gone to if I reset everything back to first year knowing what I know now. I am still torn - the clinical experience in Windsor is simply and truly amazing classes are tight, and the facilities are top notch and brand new, but London is larger centre and more obvious research opportunities. Niether city is particularly small (of course if you were raised in TO pretty much everything else feels small except TO in Ontario :) ) Gah, I just don't know

obviously at this point I'd feel like I'd won the lottery if I get in off the wait list, so I'm not complaining about which campus I go to. But I wonder about whether the Windsor people always feel like leftovers - they have to watch the London campus students at their lectures, without having their own, and all the major med school activities happen in London... o week, etc.. Its hard not to imagine feeling peripheral to the whole experience. Are there opportunities to do any of the clinical rotations in London while at Windsor? Or summer research?

obviously at this point I'd feel like I'd won the lottery if I get in off the wait list, so I'm not complaining about which campus I go to. But I wonder about whether the Windsor people always feel like leftovers - they have to watch the London campus students at their lectures, without having their own, and all the major med school activities happen in London... o week, etc.. Its hard not to imagine feeling peripheral to the whole experience. Are there opportunities to do any of the clinical rotations in London while at Windsor? Or summer research?

Those in the windsor campus go to london for O-week I believe

That is probably true - Windsor, like most satellite campuses, is not as popular as the main campus I guess.

For awhile now I have been trying to figure out which campus I would have gone to if I reset everything back to first year knowing what I know now. I am still torn - the clinical experience in Windsor is simply and truly amazing classes are tight, and the facilities are top notch and brand new, but London is larger centre and more obvious research opportunities. Niether city is particularly small (of course if you were raised in TO pretty much everything else feels small except TO in Ontario :) ) Gah, I just don't know

I suppose this decision is easier for those who are natives of Windsor;)

There are some Windsor lectures as well (London gets to watch those), and of course the clinical skills, small group discussions are site specific.

In past Windsor didn't have critical mass of students to do them same sorts of things that London can do but now they have a independent branch of the all the major clubs, and their own separate events as well. The Windsor integration events are about the largest events of the year (there are of 3 of them) and we go to Windsor for that. When you have about 150 med students in total in Windsor vs just 24 a few years ago you can see how things are evolving all the time.

People in Windsor can and often do summer research in London. However we cannot do third year core rotations at the other site. Actually sometimes this is annoying to London people - some of us would like to do some Windsor electives as large community hospitals with few/no residents is a gold mine for a clerk wanting to learn a specific area.

The facebook group is up to 153...but I know that a couple of those people who joined are current students. So I think we are still at around 100-110 students...leaving a 50-60 place movement. (trying to be optimistic from now on :D well..optimistic for everyone else, I've already come to terms that I'll have to re-apply after grad school).

Anyone else notice that the waitlist movement at a couple schools (like Queens and Uoft) is moving really slowly? Hope this means that lots of people rejected Western in favor of those schools and not that all those left on those school's waitlists will also be on Western's waitlist :P

So anyone want to speculate - will the high wait list move Monday, or will that just be a day of confirming people's campus offers? Does anyone remember if last year the majority of movement happened in a day, or if they spread it out like some of the other schools?

If I am recalling everything correctly once it opens up it opens up pretty quickly. It slows down when there are fewer spots because you need to get a hold of people and sometimes that takes a little bit of time. Initially you can just blast off a pile of requests to people.

If I am recalling everything correctly once it opens up it opens up pretty quickly. It slows down when there are fewer spots because you need to get a hold of people and sometimes that takes a little bit of time. Initially you can just blast off a pile of requests to people.

*National Geographic Voice* Notice that in his natural habitat of PM101, the rmorelan is able to sneakily skirt the question of "monday?" ;)

The facebook group is up to 153...but I know that a couple of those people who joined are current students. So I think we are still at around 100-110 students...leaving a 50-60 place movement. (trying to be optimistic from now on :D well..optimistic for everyone else, I've already come to terms that I'll have to re-apply after grad school).

Anyone else notice that the waitlist movement at a couple schools (like Queens and Uoft) is moving really slowly? Hope this means that lots of people rejected Western in favor of those schools and not that all those left on those school's waitlists will also be on Western's waitlist :P

Hmmm I think you're prediction is a bit low of how many students are current. Ask someone in 2015 for a rough count if you feel like driving yourself a little crazier :rolleyes: but i feel like there may be quite a few students who are in but haven't joined the facebook group

Well everyone, I guess it's time to relax a bit seeing how no offers were made this week. Try your best to enjoy this weekend and get prepared for an exciting week to come! Hoping for the best for all of us here on the forums. I'm predicting some good news for us! ;)

Thought I'd get a little craziness out before I enjoy the weekend (a nice long weekend here in England). Slightly stalked the facebook group (and no judging me please, since I know some of you will enjoy the stats :P)...so there seems to be about 55-65 current students, ~80 new students and ~20 unknowns (I accidentally closed my browser two thirds of the way through, and slightly lost count...but I think the numbers should hold. A 2015 student could double check the number of current students if they have time).

And now everyone, let's enjoy the weekend!!

*National Geographic Voice* Notice that in his natural habitat of PM101, the rmorelan is able to sneakily skirt the question of "monday?" ;)

ha! Sorry I missed that - I never expected them today but there was always a chance. I suspect things will begin to move early next week!

Hey there kidslit. I'm currently a 1st year med student at the Windsor campus. I just wanted to give you my perspective on being at the Windsor campus. People here really don't feel like leftovers. As Rob touched on a bit earlier, we do have some lectures that are hosted in Windsor. Also, our small group discussions and clinical based learning are all in Windsor as well. All of the major med school activities don't happen in London. We have 3 integration weekends where Windsor hosts the London students. I would say > 80% of the London class attends these weekends. There are also countless times where we go up to London and stay with the London class for the weekend. So we're not really on the periphery; we're smack dab in the middle of everything that goes on. How much integration takes place is really dependant on each person. If you want to get to know your classmates and spend time with them, then you definitely have the opportunity to do so. Also, there are research opportunities that you can do in London. One of my room-mates is doing research in London for this summer and the next. In terms of the clinical rotations, I know that the clerks here get exposed to a lot of stuff first hand because there are fewer residents around. I have asked a third year student to come and comment on this a bit more, since he'll be able to provide you with more info about it.

If you have any other questions or concerns about the Windsor campus, feel free to PM me.

Hey there kidslit. I'm currently a 1st year med student at the Windsor campus. I just wanted to give you my perspective on being at the Windsor campus. People here really don't feel like leftovers. As Rob touched on a bit earlier, we do have some lectures that are hosted in Windsor. Also, our small group discussions and clinical based learning are all in Windsor as well. All of the major med school activities don't happen in London. We have 3 integration weekends where Windsor hosts the London students. I would say > 80% of the London class attends these weekends. There are also countless times where we go up to London and stay with the London class for the weekend. So we're not really on the periphery; we're smack dab in the middle of everything that goes on. How much integration takes place is really dependant on each person. If you want to get to know your classmates and spend time with them, then you definitely have the opportunity to do so. Also, there are research opportunities that you can do in London. One of my room-mates is doing research in London for this summer and the next. In terms of the clinical rotations, I know that the clerks here get exposed to a lot of stuff first hand because there are fewer residents around. I have asked a third year student to come and comment on this a bit more, since he'll be able to provide you with more info about it.

If you have any other questions or concerns about the Windsor campus, feel free to PM me.

As another member of the Windsor 2015 class, I agree with everything kawalac said and I just want to add a few points about research.

I personally got involved with 3 smaller research projects during this past school year in Windsor and there were several others that I considered. If you really want to do research, you shouldn't have a problem of finding something. Don't get me wrong, London is definitely the larger research centre out of the two campuses and you're not going to find something like stem cell research in Windsor. However, in the summer, you can go wherever you want for research. I'll be in Ottawa for my summer research, two others in the class will be in Toronto and at least 5 people will be in London. Chances are you won't be doing all that much research during the school year anyway so I don't think that being in Windsor restricts us at all.

Another thing I want to mention is that you don't have to wait until clerkship to reap the advantages of being in the hospitals in Windsor. There are many things that myself and other students in the class got to do thanks to the lack of clerks and residents ahead of us. Except for cardiac surgery and transplants, you can still observe any specialty and the physicians here are all very happy to have us and teach us.

To be honest, when I got placed in the Windsor campus, I had the exact same concerns and I don't expect our posts to really change your mind about it. At this point in time, if I could go back and choose my campus preference again, I would choose Windsor. All I can say is that whichever campus you guys will end up in, you will have a fantastic time so don't worry about it and get excited for next year.

Archived