Premed 101 Forums

2012 Waitlist Thread

Are we looking at phone calls coming in this Friday or sometime next week? I guess it depends on whether they care about getting the campus placements out to the first rounders before starting any movement.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we looking at phone calls coming in this Friday or sometime next week? I guess it depends on whether they care about getting the campus placements out to the first rounders before starting any movement.

They usually start coming out after the deadline but the exact time/date varies depending on how overloaded things are in the office. It is coming up soon.

Best of luck everyone! Stressful times I know.

They usually start coming out after the deadline but the exact time/date varies depending on how overloaded things are in the office. It is coming up soon.

Best of luck everyone! Stressful times I know.

At this point in time i assumed after the deadline. But are we talking generally between deadline and placements, or after placements?

At this point in time i assumed after the deadline. But are we talking generally between deadline and placements, or after placements?

When we say its unknown, it is REALLY unknown. Because this is the first year Western has given out acceptances with unspecified campus, we have no idea whether they will wait until after June 4th to move the wait list, or start this week.

Be assured that they will begin calling folks by next week at the latest.

Chin up! :o

When we say its unknown, it is REALLY unknown. Because this is the first year Western has given out acceptances with unspecified campus, we have no idea whether they will wait until after June 4th to move the wait list, or start this week.

Be assured that they will begin calling folks by next week at the latest.

Chin up! :o

I think they are probably going to wait until next week to be honest. When I called the office, they said they were going to let us know campus placements on June 4th. But, I figure that if someone gets in off the waitlist, and they get their first choice, it means that those ranked in the initial 171 offers will get their first choice.

we have never had placements before so it is hard to say. I would suspect before but it is all up in the air really

I am very happy for you friend! You are pretty much in and I can't wait to meet you in person :)

No worries! I am hoping for some good news in the coming weeks for you!

Thanks guys :) Can't wait to (hopefully!) get in and meet you both! Going to be an exciting next couple of weeks.

I'm not on the forums nearly as much as I used to be - its helps to keep occupied with non waiting-for-medschool-to-happen activities. Hopefully I can change that soon!

In terms of speculation I think it'd make more sense to start the waitlist next week, after the dust starts to settle from the already-accepted students being contacted with their campus. That said its likely pretty messy either way.

I wonder does any movement occur in the initial acceptees after June 4th? I don't imagine it would be likely but would anyone decline an offer if they didn't get their preferred campus?

I wonder does any movement occur in the initial acceptees after June 4th? I don't imagine it would be likely but would anyone decline an offer if they didn't get their preferred campus?

Well if you already accepted the offer from Western with unspecified campus you would have rejected all other Ontario schools....I can't imagine anyone being that mad about living in London or Windsor that they would choose not to go to med school. But I'm sure people are taking this into account before making their decision (omg decision day is today!! we hear back so soon!:eek: ).

I'm also guessing that we will start to hear back after the unspecified campus, so that they can provide a campus when calling waitlisters.

I don't actually understand what the big deal is with this whole campus allocation thing. They straight up said (at least I recall seeing this somewhere) that they rank you 1-480 and then place person 1, 2, 3, etc in their first choices until all the seats in one of the campuses fills up and then start filling spots with second choices.

Wouldn't they just place the first 170, see who drops out, replace the one's who got their second choice into their first choice, and then keep placing us waitlisters based on availability in the same manner?

If thats the case it would literally take 30 seconds in excel to slot everyone appropriately.

I don't actually understand what the big deal is with this whole campus allocation thing. They straight up said (at least I recall seeing this somewhere) that they rank you 1-480 and then place person 1, 2, 3, etc in their first choices until all the seats in one of the campuses fills up and then start filling spots with second choices.

Wouldn't they just place the first 170, see who drops out, replace the one's who got their second choice into their first choice, and then keep placing us waitlisters based on availability in the same manner?

If thats the case it would literally take 30 seconds in excel to slot everyone appropriately.

Ditto. I don't get it either.

Oh well.

They must have their reasoning for doing it this way. In the past they essentially took care of it using your proposed method.

They must have their reasoning for doing it this way. In the past they essentially took care of it using your proposed method.

I think their logic was that... out of the initial 171 offers, the people that were placed in Windsor were rejecting UWO based on that.

Now, if they know that at least 38 people off the waitlist will move into the 171 offers... they'd just give everyone their first choice right off the bat.

But that varies year to year. However, from what I've gathered, a lot of people are choosing Toronto/Queens over UWO (god help them!) So it seems like the initial 171 offers, if 125 remain, those people will get their first choice.

Last year, people off the high waitlist got their first choice campus. Some people on the regular waitlist got their second choice etc etc etc

I think their logic was that... out of the initial 171 offers, the people that were placed in Windsor were rejecting UWO based on that.

That makes perfect sense for why they have so many offers listed as "campus unspecified", however, it makes little sense as to why they would need to wait until the 4th to tell people their campuses.

Once the final list of acceptances come in they punch in zero's for everyone who rejected them and tadda, new campus allocation is spit out. They could probably have emailed everyone by tomorrow night if they wanted. Maybe OMSAS is slow with releasing the final list of acceptances and rejections?

That makes perfect sense for why they have so many offers listed as "campus unspecified", however, it makes little sense as to why they would need to wait until the 4th to tell people their campuses.

Once the final list of acceptances come in they punch in zero's for everyone who rejected them and tadda, new campus allocation is spit out. They could probably have emailed everyone by tomorrow night if they wanted. Maybe OMSAS is slow with releasing the final list of acceptances and rejections?

OMSAS does take time to process the firm accepts/rejects. I imagine there will be a lot of processing for them to do this week with today being the deadline.

We will see how the cards fall. When I called and asked about when the unspecified people would find out, she said "on June 4th, not earlier." So we shall see.

Ditto. I don't get it either.

Oh well.

I am not sure what is going on with that system to be honest but I will try to figure it out. The only things that springs to mind is the possibility of over accepting in the initial batch so there are more than 171 offers out there, and hence you cannot know your campus. Other schools have over accepted in the past of course so there is a history of doing it.

I am not sure what is going on with that system to be honest but I will try to figure it out. The only things that springs to mind is the possibility of over accepting in the initial batch so there are more than 171 offers out there, and hence you cannot know your campus. Other schools have over accepted in the past of course so there is a history of doing it.

I doubt they over accepted. I have a feeling my earlier logic is what possessed them to with hold the campus placements.

I doubt they over accepted. I have a feeling my earlier logic is what possessed them to with hold the campus placements.

Sure that would work - quick question that might have been covered - some people did get their specific location right off the bat though right?

Sure that would work - quick question that might have been covered - some people did get their specific location right off the bat though right?

Yes. From what I gather the MD/PhD, MD/Eng students etc., all got London. The people that selected Windsor, got Windsor.

Anyone not in MD/PHD etc but still accepted to London? I thought there was bunch of those as well :)

Yes there were a few of those as well ;)

If I recall correctly, in recent years, there were people that were accepted off the waitlist and given their first choice campus. Makes me think that most, if not all of the people initially accepted will get their first choice after the dust settles.

If I recall correctly, in recent years, there were people that were accepted off the waitlist and given their first choice campus. Makes me think that most, if not all of the people initially accepted will get their first choice after the dust settles.

^^For that reason, I agree with you and suspect that Western doesn't want people to decline offers because they are initially placed in Windsor. So rather than placing them, just say unspecified, because it will end up being London in the end.

Sure - Raises an interesting question - what was the criteria to decide who got unspecified campus then - has to be some specific logic (and now we have some people preselected etc). Ahh speculation :) All will be solved soon and both campus really are excellent.

Hang in there everyone on the wait list - things are getting close to point where movement begins. Then will be the days of miracle and wonder.....

Archived