Premed 101 Forums

2012 Waitlist Thread

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rmorelan does Western reject anyone post-interview or do they distribute everyone who interviewed that didn't get an offer right away on the 3 different kinds of waitlist (high, regular and low)? Also is there any stats from previous years on how many interviewees were on the high, regular and low waitlist. I am assuming that roughly 15-20 people are on high, a big chunk on the regular waitlist and a few on the low waitlist. I only ask because I am on the regular waitlist and this wait is really messing with my head :(

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have a Q about the stats in the afmc stats document (http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2012_ad_bk.pdf)...

The range of 49-77 seems to be thrown around as "waitlist movement", but this reflects only ppl who were actually offered and subsequently declined. So... it doesn't include the number of ppl that dropped out of the wait-list before a potential offer could be made to them??

Hence, the "49-77" doesn't truly represent the actually wait-list movement, am I right? So, if you add the wait-list "drop-outs" the actual movement of the wait-list would be larger than these numbers indicate - although by what number, its hard to know...

Does this sound right?

I have a Q about the stats in the afmc stats document (http://www.afmc.ca/pdf/2012_ad_bk.pdf)...

The range of 49-77 seems to be thrown around as "waitlist movement", but this reflects only ppl who were actually offered and subsequently declined. So... it doesn't include the number of ppl that dropped out of the wait-list before a potential offer could be made to them??

Hence, the "49-77" doesn't truly represent the actually wait-list movement, am I right? So, if you add the wait-list "drop-outs" the actual movement of the wait-list would be larger than these numbers indicate - although by what number, its hard to know...

Does this sound right?

That's exactly right! We're not sure of how much larger it actually is, because people dropping off the waitlist could be below or above the next person to be called. But I may add like 20 more people to that list? Maybe more?

Rmorelan does Western reject anyone post-interview or do they distribute everyone who interviewed that didn't get an offer right away on the 3 different kinds of waitlist (high, regular and low)? Also is there any stats from previous years on how many interviewees were on the high, regular and low waitlist. I am assuming that roughly 15-20 people are on high, a big chunk on the regular waitlist and a few on the low waitlist. I only ask because I am on the regular waitlist and this wait is really messing with my head :(

If anyone has any information or answers to my questions, please share. Thank you!

I asked this question a while back too in this thread. Didn't get an answer.

Far as I know (by going through all the old threads), I haven't seen an actually rejection rejection posted. So I would say for now assume there is only 3 categories - high, normal, low.

And I feel you definitely. I'm on the normal wait list too and it's starting to eat me away.

I asked this question a while back too in this thread. Didn't get an answer.

Far as I know (by going through all the old threads), I haven't seen an actually rejection rejection posted. So I would say for now assume there is only 3 categories - high, normal, low.

And I feel you definitely. I'm on the normal wait list too and it's starting to eat me away.

It certainly seems that way with respect to the emails out.

We are about one week away now until historically there is wait list movement (although Western hasn't confirmed if they are gong to do it a bit early this year - still it is safer to think that is it at least a week for OMSAS to send Western what it needs).

Just for people keeping track, I know of two more people who will not be taking their UWO offers and heading off to a diff uni.

GOOD LUCK everyone! Hang in there :D

Thanks for letting us know!! Also would any of the current students do us a super nice favor and check the facebook group and see how many are current students?? I'm sure all of us anxious waitlisters would really appreciate it!

Also is there any stats from previous years on how many interviewees were on the high, regular and low waitlist. I am assuming that roughly 15-20 people are on high, a big chunk on the regular waitlist and a few on the low waitlist. I only ask because I am on the regular waitlist and this wait is really messing with my head :(

No stats are available to inform us the number of people on each waitlist.

Based on the fact that there are ~420 interviewees, 171 spots, and it seems as though no one got outright rejected you could make estimates of the wait list.

420 interviewees - 171 offers of admission= 249 wait listed (high, normal, low)

If I were to bet I would say:

25-30 are on the High Wait List (it is usually rather conservative in number)

That means ~220 would be in the normal+low list...

I know this may hurt but I think the normal wait list is greater than 100 spots.

But don't let this discourage you, many people drop out of the waitlist.

This post wasn't intended to depress people, I just wanted to be realistic about the situation. Remember, some people on the normal wait list DO get in!

Thanks for letting us know!! Also would any of the current students do us a super nice favor and check the facebook group and see how many are current students?? I'm sure all of us anxious waitlisters would really appreciate it!

There are 101 members on the Schulich facebook group.

I can see how many members there are....I was wondering how many of those members are admins/already med students at Western.

we can look that up - the problem is the first years are in the middle of their exams this week and they run everything related to the incoming class :) Bare with us a bit over the next few days!

Just declined my offer from Western in favour of Queen's. Good luck to all those on the waitlist! :)

Good luck at Queens, hope you enjoy it!!

At least 48 members of that Facebook group are from the 2015 class!

Thank you! :)

I can see how many members there are....I was wondering how many of those members are admins/already med students at Western.

Ah sorry :P

At least 48 members of that Facebook group are from the 2015 class!

That's a lot more encouraging.

Archived