Premed 101 Forums

2012 Waitlist Thread

thanks for the encouragement! I understand what Dassy is feeling - hard to be optimistic in a vacuum. Its also hard to know what to improve on in a vacuum - with no feedback about what didn't work. I know that my gpa is on the lower side, but any suggestions on what to do, if anything to change that? (around 3.75) two best years). I didn't do an undergrad in science, so not sure a Masters would be helpful. Does Western count post ug courses if you do another whole year? Or should I just try and have a stronger application?

dazed and confused..

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am kinda considering to tackle the MCAT beast once again...I know its a risk because I got exactly 11s in all sections including verbal but because I did not receive any other interviews, it seems like it would be a way in which I could improve my application for next year. I can't increase my GPA because I graduated in June last year so there's no chance to increase that. And, I don't think I can just rely on having a better interview.

I am kinda considering to tackle the MCAT beast once again...I know its a risk because I got exactly 11s in all sections including verbal but because I did not receive any other interviews, it seems like it would be a way in which I could improve my application for next year. I can't increase my GPA because I graduated in June last year so there's no chance to increase that. And, I don't think I can just rely on having a better interview.

Doesn't sound like your MCAT could have been an issue though(?) You hit everyones cut off and more - statistically an 11 puts you in good shape for MAC. Is there some other part of your application that you think is holding you back?

Doesn't sound like your MCAT could have been an issue though(?) You hit everyones cut off and more - statistically an 11 puts you in good shape for MAC. Is there some other part of your application that you think is holding you back?

Hmmm...another thing that I was thinking is changing who I ask for reference letters -there was one referee which seemed good at the time but now, it may not have been such a good idea

My autobio sketch was decent, this past year I was working in two health promotion jobs which were great for me as I did not have any job experiences before...also maybe a bit more research (already have two summers of it)

So yea...still thinking of other ways to improve

Hmmm...another thing that I was thinking is changing who I ask for reference letters -there was one referee which seemed good at the time but now, it may not have been such a good idea

My autobio sketch was decent, this past year I was working in two health promotion jobs which were great for me as I did not have any job experiences before...also maybe a bit more research (already have two summers of it)

So yea...still thinking of other ways to improve

Ok sounds fair! It just doesn't seem like your MCAT is really the problem (assuming you don't get in this year of course - hope of the best, plan for the worst). You to figure out the best way to improve I guess based on your circumstances.

One benefit of Western is that if you get an interview one year you are very likely to get one next year as well (possible the cut offs will change etc but you have 11s in everything so it would seem very unlikely that won't work). GPA might be an issue(?) but clearly you hit the cutoffs!

Should I assume that the interview was the problem if I had 10/11/11 on the MCAT? Do the letters of reference count post interview? ... Just trying to do what medpass is doing... figuring out what to change.

Ok sounds fair! It just doesn't seem like your MCAT is really the problem (assuming you don't get in this year of course - hope of the best, plan for the worst). You to figure out the best way to improve I guess based on your circumstances.

One benefit of Western is that if you get an interview one year you are very likely to get one next year as well (possible the cut offs will change etc but you have 11s in everything so it would seem very unlikely that won't work). GPA might be an issue(?) but clearly you hit the cutoffs!

Thanks for the insight rmorelan, really appreciate it.. I'm thinking now that even changing a small portion of the app will help a lot because the rankings are probably very tight and a few points here and there in my favour could elevate my chances considerably

To be honest, your MCAT is better than mine, so i dont think that is what is holding you back. Prehaps take a look at your extra-curriculars. And don't think you can't improve an interview.

Being a good Interviewee is a skill. You can improve that skill through practice. I did.

Should I assume that the interview was the problem if I had 10/11/11 on the MCAT? Do the letters of reference count post interview? ... Just trying to do what medpass is doing... figuring out what to change.

What is used to determine rank post interview is not exactly known.

We speculate it is Interview, GPA, and MCAT.

So would a higher MCAT have helped? Most likely, but like i said to medpass, your MCAT score is higher than mine.

It is also speculated that the interview is the greatest determinant of your rank. So it would make sense to try to improve your interview skills to give yourself a better chance. That includes doing some more ECs so you can talk about that in your interview.

To be honest, your MCAT is better than mine, so i dont think that is what is holding you back. Prehaps take a look at your extra-curriculars. And don't think you can't improve an interview.

Being a good Interviewee is a skill. You can improve that skill through practice. I did.

Yea you're probably right...the interview is important and it is something that I may improve upon (that was my first med interview ever) even though I practiced a lot especially with friends who were already med students. The experience of having done the real thing is going to be valuable IF I have to do this all over again next year.

regular wait list and thought the interview went really well... but maybe not. Did anyone else feel that they had a great interview and then get wait listed?

That's exactly how I feel!! I had a great interview, but I knew that my GPA would hold me back. Still really depressing nonetheless :(

High waitlist.

Thought interview was good - definitely my best one yet and I prepared the most for it. GPA ~3.9, 34R MCAT. Was previously waitlisted on the regular list, went back and did second undergrad to boost GPA and gain some more experience. Between various applications this is my fifth Canadian waitlist though my first "high" one. Hopefully good news in the not-to-distant future!

Just want to say thanks to the Schulich students (rmorelan especially) who continue to post here - you guys don't just help us - I've had friends and family members come to your posts via Google and then call me to convey whatever hope or insight you guys continually have to offer!

High waitlist.

Thought interview was good - definitely my best one yet and I prepared the most for it. GPA ~3.9, 34R MCAT. Was previously waitlisted on the regular list, went back and did second undergrad to boost GPA and gain some more experience. Between various applications this is my fifth Canadian waitlist though my first "high" one. Hopefully good news in the not-to-distant future!

Just want to say thanks to the Schulich students (rmorelan especially) who continue to post here - you guys don't just help us - I've had friends and family members come to your posts via Google and then call me to convey whatever hope or insight you guys continually have to offer!

No worries! I am hoping for some good news in the coming weeks for you!

There seems to be a lot of discussion about what you could have done differently to get in, or how the interview, MCAT or GPA affected the ultimate decision you received. You guys have to keep a few things in mind though.

First of all, there were probably around 400-500 people interviewed for 170 spots. Of those, I'm sure there were more than 170 deserving candidates. The fact that you were even granted an interview speaks to that. Just because you are on the wait list, doesn't necessarily mean you had a bad interview or bad stats by any means.

Next, you have to remember that at this point, what's done is done. There's no point in dwelling on it. I know it's hard, but as Contradictions said, it's best to try to take your mind off of this wait list. Thinking about it 24/7 will drive you nuts.

I just wanted to say that you guys should be proud that you've made it this far. I know it feels like you guys got a kick in the nuts by being put on the wait list, but there is still hope. Keep your heads up, concentrate on other things, and good luck!

I couldn't agree more with Mr. White. To perhaps help you guys, I would like to share my own experience last year.

I was in a five year program and had applied to Med Schools (Queens and Western) during my fourth year. I interviewed at both places.

The night before my Queens interview, I had to drive my dad (from Kingston) to Pearson airport and then drive myself back for my morning interview (first time slot). A few days before that, I had also badly hurt my arm and it was in a cast. I began my interview on painkillers and red bull. Needless to say, I thought it went horribly.

Three weeks or so later, I was at my SSMD interview. I was ready. I donned the suit and a huge smile and was ready to interview like never before. As I was waiting outside the room, I noticed a very obvious string sticking out of my tie and freaked out. The 2014 who was waiting with me whipped out a swiss army knife and started "sawing" the string off JUST as the interviewers opened the door. That was their first impression of me - sheepishly waving as my tie was being "fixed".

The interview started and I felt rushed. I tried to keep calm and collected and even make jokes. Things, however, were not going well.

For instance:

Interviewer - What would you bring to a team?

Me - Coffee!

Interviewer - *crickets chirping*

Me - Aaaand...

Interviewer - Why did you want to be a doctor?

Me - Well, didn't always. I remember when I was very young, wanted to be a space cowboy. But, looking at the job market, that wasnt very viable. So, I figured, why not medicine. Of course,...

Interviewer - Lets move on

Me - Uhh!

Interviewer - What's your biggest weakness?

Me - Chocolate goes right to my thighs!

Interviewer - *crickets chirping and tumbleweed rolls by*

After the interview, I was devastated and dejected. Rmorelan can attest to this - I was a mess and went home prepared to begin that fifth year.

On May 5, I was rejected from Queens (no surprise) and regular waitlisted at UWO (huge surprise). No, I am not SWOMEN.

Since then, I kept myself busy. I started working out twice a day, dove into teaching MCAT, started learning guitar, catching up on reading, went to tons of movies, etc.

On June 1st, the wait listed started moving. One of my best friends got in and I couldn't be happier.

On June 3rd, at around Noon, I posted on this forum that I was giving up. And sat down at a table at Taylor library to figure out courses for next year.

At 2:14 PM, I got a call from the Admissions office saying they would like to offer me a spot. I fell on my knees in the middle of the library in disbelief. After a few questions making sure that it wasn't a joke, I repeatedly cried, "Yes! I accept, of course I accept!"

Guys, I don't share all this to show off or to just ramble about myself. My GPA was BARELY above the cut-offs and my interview felt horrendously bad and I'm not SWOMEN. So, stop second guessing yourselves. You are here - at this stage - because you're damn good applicants and damn amazing people to boot.

I just wanted to share this to show that in all the dejection and sadness that you are feeling right now, there is a light at the end. If not now, then it'll come soon enough.

And, as one of my favourite bollywood movie quotes goes, "At the end of every story, there's a happy ending. And if that's not the case, my friends, the movie is not yet done"

Keep that chin up everyone - please! All of us need that positive energy in life. Keep yourselves busy and raring to go.

GOOD LUCK :)

I felt like my interview went SO poorly. I made the mistake of looking down and saw that the one interviewer had given me 2/5 on three consecutive questions. So that threw me off for the rest of the interview. Yeah, needless to say I don't think my interview was outstanding by any means.

First off congrats to MrsSnub....but it's so hard to read something like this, because I accidentally looked down at the paper as well and saw my interviewer give me 4/5 on two questions. I felt like I had a great interview (except maybe I stumbled on like one or two small questions)...and then to get waitlisted is so sad/frustrating. Especially since I worked so hard this year to make sure I passed the cutoff and ended up getting a 3.95...just wish this year's grades were included in the calculation. The only people with like a 3.73 avg who have gotten accepted have a swomen status.

Sorry for the rant :P Hope we can all hear good news in the upcoming weeks/months

I couldn't agree more with Mr. White. To perhaps help you guys, I would like to share my own experience last year.

I was in a five year program and had applied to Med Schools (Queens and Western) during my fourth year. I interviewed at both places.

The night before my Queens interview, I had to drive my dad (from Kingston) to Pearson airport and then drive myself back for my morning interview (first time slot). A few days before that, I had also badly hurt my arm and it was in a cast. I began my interview on painkillers and red bull. Needless to say, I thought it went horribly.

Three weeks or so later, I was at my SSMD interview. I was ready. I donned the suit and a huge smile and was ready to interview like never before. As I was waiting outside the room, I noticed a very obvious string sticking out of my tie and freaked out. The 2014 who was waiting with me whipped out a swiss army knife and started "sawing" the string off JUST as the interviewers opened the door. That was their first impression of me - sheepishly waving as my tie was being "fixed".

The interview started and I felt rushed. I tried to keep calm and collected and even make jokes. Things, however, were not going well.

For instance:

Interviewer - What would you bring to a team?

Me - Coffee!

Interviewer - *crickets chirping*

Me - Aaaand...

Interviewer - Why did you want to be a doctor?

Me - Well, didn't always. I remember when I was very young, wanted to be a space cowboy. But, looking at the job market, that wasnt very viable. So, I figured, why not medicine. Of course,...

Interviewer - Lets move on

Me - Uhh!

Interviewer - What's your biggest weakness?

Me - Chocolate goes right to my thighs!

Interviewer - *crickets chirping and tumbleweed rolls by*

After the interview, I was devastated and dejected. Rmorelan can attest to this - I was a mess and went home prepared to begin that fifth year.

On May 5, I was rejected from Queens (no surprise) and regular waitlisted at UWO (huge surprise). No, I am not SWOMEN.

Since then, I kept myself busy. I started working out twice a day, dove into teaching MCAT, started learning guitar, catching up on reading, went to tons of movies, etc.

On June 1st, the wait listed started moving. One of my best friends got in and I couldn't be happier.

On June 3rd, at around Noon, I posted on this forum that I was giving up. And sat down at a table at Taylor library to figure out courses for next year.

At 2:14 PM, I got a call from the Admissions office saying they would like to offer me a spot. I fell on my knees in the middle of the library in disbelief. After a few questions making sure that it wasn't a joke, I repeatedly cried, "Yes! I accept, of course I accept!"

Guys, I don't share all this to show off or to just ramble about myself. My GPA was BARELY above the cut-offs and my interview felt horrendously bad and I'm not SWOMEN. So, stop second guessing yourselves. You are here - at this stage - because you're damn good applicants and damn amazing people to boot.

I just wanted to share this to show that in all the dejection and sadness that you are feeling right now, there is a light at the end. If not now, then it'll come soon enough.

And, as one of my favourite bollywood movie quotes goes, "At the end of every story, there's a happy ending. And if that's not the case, my friends, the movie is not yet done"

Keep that chin up everyone - please! All of us need that positive energy in life. Keep yourselves busy and raring to go.

GOOD LUCK :)

HAHA. 'Picture abhi baaki hai mere dost'. Great post!

On the high waiting list. I will be withdrawing to accept an offer at University of Montreal. Best of luck waitlisters!! :D

May we see each other at Med Games in Montreal this year!

Congrats on getting into Montreal!! That's awesome :) And of course all us waitlisters thank you lol

ps. So there are 22 members so far on the 2016 facebook page...and that's without it being well advertised.

First off congrats to MrsSnub....but it's so hard to read something like this, because I accidentally looked down at the paper as well and saw my interviewer give me 4/5 on two questions. I felt like I had a great interview (except maybe I stumbled on like one or two small questions)...and then to get waitlisted is so sad/frustrating. Especially since I worked so hard this year to make sure I passed the cutoff and ended up getting a 3.95...just wish this year's grades were included in the calculation. The only people with like a 3.73 avg who have gotten accepted have a swomen status.

Sorry for the rant :P Hope we can all hear good news in the upcoming weeks/months

I hope the news come soon for you! Your stats remind me of my exact situation last year! I was also hoping fourth year marks counted because it went smashing. And my GPA for best two years that did count was also around that. Hang in there...only a matter of time :)

*fingers crossed*

Archived