Premed 101 Forums

2012 Waitlist Thread

And I shall summon the one they call RMORELAN!

Ha :)

I believe the OP is correct on both counts. I will say that if you do get an acceptance then the admins are then your friends and will help you with all remaining issues. The initially will feel maybe a bit weird as you probably think of the system as the barrier (and it is :) ) but once you are on the other side it is completely different.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just wondering if I should apply to grad school as the deadline is June 1st. I was on the high waiting list...is it worth it?

I'm on the high list and I am still going to apply for a Masters program JUST to be safe... Although I'm 95% sure Im going to get my offer from the high waitlist i still want to be prepared for the worst

I'm on the high list and I am still going to apply for a Masters program JUST to be safe... Although I'm 95% sure Im going to get my offer from the high waitlist i still want to be prepared for the worst

I realized that my post sounded a little arrogant but I just really don't feel like 2 years of masters. I think I'll take a year off and work on a little life experience instead and re-apply.

Thought I was initially on the normal wait list, but after learning about the wording seems like I'm on the low list, quite a bummer since I thought the interview went pretty well, well I guess its time to pretty much vanish that glimmer of hope, does western place everyone on the waitlist or also offer rejections?

Thought I was initially on the normal wait list, but after learning about the wording seems like I'm on the low list, quite a bummer since I thought the interview went pretty well, well I guess its time to pretty much vanish that glimmer of hope, does western place everyone on the waitlist or also offer rejections?

You have to have been like balls to the wall... BAD. For them to outright reject you. This is rare.

How're my fellow wait-listers feeling today? I'm starting to get over the disappointing shock of yesterday and looking more seriously into my plan B just in case things don't turn out.

Waiting for QC schools to release their decisions. More waiting and anxiousness for me! :P

Seems like everyone was on the regular wait list then moved up... what did you do differently? And do you know people who actually get in off the regular wait list? have a plan b, but far prefer plan a!

Yes, I was on the normal waitlist last year, but am now on the high.

I took a special 5th year of undergrad in the meantime. My GPA this application cycle was slightly higher because of my 4th year being taken into account. As well, I began volunteering in the hospital and prepping early for my interview.

It's important to identify your areas of weakness, and address it for the next application cycle (in my case, my GPA and interview skills).

Ah, another nail-biting two weeks. Anyone else feel slightly trolled by this high wait-list thing? It's like "Congrats, bro, it's as if you're accepted.. except you're not." :P

Yea it seems that way but remember that you are in a much better position than those of us on the normal or low waitlists.

Ah, another nail-biting two weeks. Anyone else feel slightly trolled by this high wait-list thing? It's like "Congrats, bro, it's as if you're accepted.. except you're not." :P

Haha I know exactly what you mean. The high wait list is such a tease, but as Medpass mentioned, we should be grateful that we have the position that we do.

Yeah it is a bit annoying but at least it was better than the alternative which was just one HUGE wait list where you have no idea where you sit on it :)

if you haven't been called on the first day of the regular wait list, should it be assumed that the chances are very low?

It's a very hard time to be on the wait list, but you should take some solace in the fact that you've made it this far. The AFMC medical school statistics show that in the years 2005-2008 cycles, 49-77 people per year have declined their offer of admission (and that's when the class size was around 140).

While you're on the wait list, it's tough to think about anything else, but I know many people (lots in this forum!) who have set up plan B's, work, school, etc and re-applied down the road. And for some, they will find that the slightly longer route would have been very worthwhile for their personal development and experience. Trust me in that there are many people at Schulich who bring so much wisdom and background from their extra years. Pretty sure that most of them are going to become better doctors for it and will do amazing things in the future!

Anyway, to give an idea of how long the wait list can run... There are people in my class who have received an offer as late as mid-late July. I know of one person in the year above me who got his offer two weeks before med school started. The offers do start slowing down in June as spots get filled up. But, keep in mind that the offers given to wait list people have a 1 week deadline (so usually the wait list movement can happen every couple days-1 week) and can also be declined by the recipient if they get another wait list offer from their preferred school.

if you haven't been called on the first day of the regular wait list, should it be assumed that the chances are very low?

Everyone is going to want stats to help them realistically see where they are - but the trouble is that is just so hard to do. With the wait list they have to call and contact each person individually and see if they want to come to the school. You may not get them right away so you have to call back, track them down etc etc. Things can take a bit. Definitely things move very fast after the last day though so the odds do go down but by how much I am not sure anyone can really tell you.

It would just be so much easier if we knew how many people were on each waitlist. It's hard to be optimistic on the reg. waitlist when there could be like 200 applicants on it...

I always think of it like: Accepted=170-180, Priority Waitlist=20-30, Reg. Waitlist=~200, Low Waitlist/Rejected=~50.

Archived