Premed 101 Forums

Med backpacks!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
they don't send you replacements eh... but then your colour wouldn't match! you'd be mistaken for a first year haha

There is a place you send them they arranged for repairs. There are some extras as well that might be left in case you lose them. MD Financial has thought this out :)

they don't send you replacements eh... but then your colour wouldn't match! you'd be mistaken for a first year haha

I had mine replaced when it got damaged! :) I was lucky they had an extra one lying around their office. First I e-mailed them about it and they sent me the wrong color in the mail (RED!:eek: ). Then I just went into the office and they traded in my damaged blue bag for a new one :).

...now I have a red one just lying around my apartment...

I have never seen an Ottawa student with one who was in the 2015 or 2014 class. Since Ottawa changed the sponsorship rule, they have been given the other backpacks, and that's all I've seen them have.

Makes sense - part of the reason the bags are so popular in the class is everyone has one - i.e. they are a symbol. If everyone instead has another bag then well that kind of reduces the importance of them. I remember now - I actually asked the MD financial guys about that at a planning meeting with them (OMSW is coming so I was curious about the impact of Ottawa's policies on that). They told me they would give them out to any student if someone actually went to them and asked -but of course that is unlikely to occur :)

Makes sense - part of the reason the bags are so popular in the class is everyone has one - i.e. they are a symbol. If everyone instead has another bag then well that kind of reduces the importance of them. I remember now - I actually asked the MD financial guys about that at a planning meeting with them (OMSW is coming so I was curious about the impact of Ottawa's policies on that). They told me they would give them out to any student if someone actually went to them and asked -but of course that is unlikely to occur :)

I asked them about 2014 bags, and they were not willing to give them out. Ours went down to a Haiti humanitarian effort apparently.... I'd be surprised if they made enough to cover the 2015's after they couldn't give out the 2014 ones.

I know this is a tangent, but you've sparkled my curiosity. What is Ottawa planning to do regarding corporate sponsorship and OMSW? Anyone know?

rmorelan,

I know it's Dental and not Med (so maybe you don't know) but is there any change coming to those (comparably ratty looking) Dentistry bags with the blatant "Advil" patch for the UWO Dentistry students. I'm assuming they have to fall under the new "take nothing from anyone" policy stuff that the Dean's office is putting in.

rmorelan,

I know it's Dental and not Med (so maybe you don't know) but is there any change coming to those (comparably ratty looking) Dentistry bags with the blatant "Advil" patch for the UWO Dentistry students. I'm assuming they have to fall under the new "take nothing from anyone" policy stuff that the Dean's office is putting in.

Is it a patch or embroidery? Both can be removed, embroidery just takes longer to stitch rip and certain fabrics look rough after embroidery is taken off, but most backpacks are made of fabric that can handle it. I used to work as an embroiderer, doing things like jackets and backpacks. You could have the Advil patch removed and have a design of your own put on by a cresting shop, actually.

I know this is a tangent, but you've sparkled my curiosity. What is Ottawa planning to do regarding corporate sponsorship and OMSW? Anyone know?

Yeah that is pretty complex - as of the last meeting I was at (which now could be outdated) they are just working around that - they raised the money in other ways. The overall corporate sponsorship rules continue apply at Ottawa.

I asked them about 2014 bags, and they were not willing to give them out. Ours went down to a Haiti humanitarian effort apparently.... I'd be surprised if they made enough to cover the 2015's after they couldn't give out the 2014 ones.

Well there you go! :)

Bound to be some people confused down in Haiti then (some of my class went there for relief efforts too, I wonder if any ran into someone with a bag).

rmorelan,

Hmmm not sure - I will ask at the sponsorship meeting I am going to shortly though. Ha med school politics - there is always another meeting :)

Yeah that is pretty complex - as of the last meeting I was at (which now could be outdated) they are just working around that - they raised the money in other ways. The overall corporate sponsorship rules continue apply at Ottawa.
Ooh, interesting. Regardless, I'm sure it'll be a fantastic weekend, like always!

I'm pretty stoked to get a med backpack... Especially since EVERY SINGLE ONE of my backpacks has a massive hole in it!

I'm thinking they might be "forest green". I remember that was leading the poll that they had (after hot pink)... but who knows!

I'm pretty stoked to get a med backpack... Especially since EVERY SINGLE ONE of my backpacks has a massive hole in it!

I'm thinking they might be "forest green". I remember that was leading the poll that they had (after hot pink)... but who knows!

I thought it was Maroon that was winning? Which I think would be ugly.

I havent followed these med back packs for very long but I know I will NOT be wearing a hot pink back pack if that is the eventually winner.

As confident as I am in my masculinity that is a color I will not wear. I dont feel like walking around looking like a clown. :) Perhaps the fact that 60%+ of med school students are female will influence the eventual choice beyond my own gender-role influenced preferences but hopefully the color will be uni-sex friendly.

Beef

Archived