Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Interviews

I'm not bitter and to everyone saying they have survivors guilt, please don't say that!!! You guys deserve the invite and will do great

You have a great attitude! With that maturity and your amazing numbers, I have no doubt that you'll succeed :-)

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep in mind that stats are only a piece of the puzzle, there are always going to be hundreds of amazing GPA/MCAT combos that get rejected no matter what.

The other parts are ones that we'll never get to examine on PM101- namely the sketch descriptions of ECs/Employment/Volunteering/etc and the ref letters/confidential assessment forms.

As a U of T student who reads U of T applications, it's actually very very difficult to tease apart applicants! When just looking at GPAs and MCATs, it seems more straightforward, but when you include ECs, it becomes very difficult!

I realize Queen's has a slightly different approach to applications, but it's generally the same pool of applicants. The U of T Dean of Admissions told all the students reviewing files that you're already dealing with a very high-achieving group of students - which is 100% true. When it comes to looking at things like ECs, it's somewhat reviewer-dependent. One person's ECs may be standout to one reviewer and average to another. One reviewer may value lots of different experiences, while another may value longitudinal commitments to a few things. There's no magical formula for ECs, and I think that's easily forgotten! These are humans reading your application, and since it's impossible for one person to read every application, it introduces a bit of subjectivity that can't be predicted!

"The Queen's University School of Medicine Admissions Committee has completed its review of all applications for the term starting in September 2014. Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview.

At this time, I would like to thank you for expressing interest in our school. The Committee's decisions have been difficult as we received so large a number of applications from candidates with excellent academic and personal qualifications, such as yourself.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors."

To all those feeling defeated following today's results, I thought I'd share my story. I applied throughout the US and Canada because I know medicine is where I want to be. I am finishing my master's, have a 3.96 GPA from undergrad, and a 12/14/10 on my MCAT (BS/PS/VR). ECs all very strong as well. I had 4 interviews at top schools in the US (including Harvard!) and yet received a slew of rejections today from Ontario schools. My point is don't give up! If medicine is what you want, keep chasing it. Don't let the lottery system here in Ontario deter you from your dream.

So many people with extremely high stats and strong EC's have been rejected. I think reference letters may have played a crucial role for many people. Everybody looks so amazing on the omsas sketch, but the letters are not the same for everyone. Any thoughts?

My gut tells me my LORs were really good. I know I have no way of proving it, but they got me interviews at Queens last year (and this year my reviewers have more knowledge about my abilities as I have been learning under them) and my LORs got me an invite at Calgary this year with a wGPA of 3.91 and 11 vr. I really think the mcat cutoff changed to a 10 on each section with a 32 overall. I can't find one poster below 32 (or 33 actually), although the demographic is skewed here.

Something really does seem fishy looking at the stats of the people with regrets...its either some sort of mistake or they gave great emphasis to something really subjective like the LOR's (which would be a neat thing for a school to do rather than just using it to look for red flags). So I really hope somebody contacts Queens Admissions to inquire and lets us all know!

So many people with extremely high stats and strong EC's have been rejected. I think reference letters may have played a crucial role for many people. Everybody looks so amazing on the omsas sketch, but the letters are not the same for everyone. Any thoughts?

this happens every year with Queen's invites. nothing is different this year

Most likely they sent out all of the invites first and then the rejections. I'm guessing that normally this wouldn't really be noticeable as they would send them all out within a short time period, but the server interruption made the difference in time more pronounced.

Most likely its just me clinging to a small thread of hope, but it seems like the rejections sent around 4:00 PM EST were generally people with pretty high stats, so maybe a glitch and they were supposed to be invites?

That would be a really big glitch, and I doubt they would have left the office on Friday if that was the case. Also given that they were aware there were technical glitches already I'm sure they would have double checked everything on Friday as well. Queens is known for not being a stats loving school so you'd expect rejections.

That would be a really big glitch, and I doubt they would have left the office on Friday if that was the case. Also given that they were aware there were technical glitches already I'm sure they would have double checked everything on Friday as well. Queens is known for not being a stats loving school so you'd expect rejections.

Yah I'm inclined to agree. Weird that there were not nearly as many invites posted here this year though.

Archived