Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Interviews

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anybody end up calling to ask about the "potential" glitch or did everybody come to the consensus that it wasnt

It would be kind of an embarrassing phone call: "Hi there, I'm calling because I'm hoping that the rejection you sent me was a mistake".

If someone is braver than me?

It would be kind of an embarrassing phone call: "Hi there, I'm calling because I'm hoping that the rejection you sent me was a mistake".

If someone is braver than me?

Lol true but if it means getting an invite, it would probably be worth it.

Are there actually people that didn't get any interview notification from Queens? I saw a couple of posts but they never gave updates on their situation.

Lol true but if it means getting an invite, it would probably be worth it.

Are there actually people that didn't get any interview notification from Queens? I saw a couple of posts but they never gave updates on their situation.

Maybe its queens' way of saying youre being waitlisted for an interview?

• 3 weeks later...

So just out of curiosity, I know that Queen's yield from 2005-2009 is around 50%, so that means 200 acceptances for the 100 seats. Any idea how many they interview? Word on these forums is that they have the worst interiew to seat odds but even if they interview 500 doesn't thay make them better than Ottawa? 40% isn't that bad.

Edit: Forgot to read the latest posts, my bad.

So ~200 acceptances from 450 interviewees.

So ~200 acceptances from 450 interviewees.
Around 450 interviewees, yes.

However, in recent years, Queen's has a new, state of the art med building and overhauled it's curriculum. These combined with other factors has lead to the wait list has moving a lot less over the past few cycles (~the last 3 years). I'm not sure it's a safe bet anymore to say there are ~200 acceptances.

I find it difficult to believe that so many students would turn down their interview at Queens. I suspect an administrative error :P

It's possible that there was an error, since their system went down on January 31st. Honestly I don't care what the reason is, as long as I have the interview :)

Hm. My theory is that Queen's cross-admits the most out of Ontario schools. Although anecdotal but my experience this year is that people who received a Queen's interview also received other interviews, more so than people who received Western interviews and Mac interviews. From the past two years stats it looks like ~15 people a year are accepted off of the wait-list. Combined with their # of acceptances on May 13th which is likely slightly more than 100 (110-115 maybe) that puts them around a 30% acceptance rate.

This could be because of their liking a high overall MCAT (cross-admits with Western) a 10 verbal minimum (Mac) and ECs (Ottawa and Toronto). When you talk about applicants with a high MCAT, above average ECs, a 10+ VR, and good interview skills you are likely to be talking about a group with more than one offer.

I also get the feeling that of Toronto, London, Ottawa, Hamilton, and Kingston, the latter is the least preferable city to live in due to it being the smallest city by far and being the furthest from Toronto while not being exactly close to Ottawa.

I find it difficult to believe that so many students would turn down their interview at Queens. I suspect an administrative error :P

It's possible that there was an error, since their system went down on January 31st. Honestly I don't care what the reason is, as long as I have the interview :)

hm, I hadn't considered that. I would think that they would just come out and say that there was an error on their part rather than saying people cancelled. just doesn't seem to be a good reason to lie about it.

either way, I agree with you Savac. don't care about the reason, just glad to have an interview!

Hm. My theory is that Queen's cross-admits the most out of Ontario schools. Although anecdotal but my experience this year is that people who received a Queen's interview also received other interviews, more so than people who received Western interviews and Mac interviews. From the past two years stats it looks like ~15 people a year are accepted off of the wait-list. Combined with their # of acceptances on May 13th which is likely slightly more than 100 (110-115 maybe) that puts them around a 30% acceptance rate.

This could be because of their liking a high overall MCAT (cross-admits with Western) a 10 verbal minimum (Mac) and ECs (Ottawa and Toronto). When you talk about applicants with a high MCAT, above average ECs, a 10+ VR, and good interview skills you are likely to be talking about a group with more than one offer.

I also get the feeling that of Toronto, London, Ottawa, Hamilton, and Kingston, the latter is the least preferable city to live in due to it being the smallest city by far and being the furthest from Toronto while not being exactly close to Ottawa.

if they cross admitted the most then why would they have low waitlist movement? While Kingston is much smaller than London, I think for all intents and purposes they are about equal places to live.

From the student website they say that from 450-550 students usually receive an invite post file review year, and 100 are accepted into the class of 2018. So anywhere from around a 20-25% chance of getting in.

What's it like at other schools? A friend of mine said McMaster was closer to a 30% chance of acceptance based on number of interview invites to spots.

if they cross admitted the most then why would they have low waitlist movement? While Kingston is much smaller than London, I think for all intents and purposes they are about equal places to live.

Given the number of people on the waitlist, and the number that post here we could very likely have had 2-3 bad cycles where the PM101 waitlist did not move but the real one did. It seems like the 2011-2012 cycle wasn't that bad actually, something like 3-4 out of the 10 that posted. With samples this small it is very likely to get sampling error.

From the student website they say that from 450-550 students usually receive an invite post file review year, and 100 are accepted into the class of 2018. So anywhere from around a 20-25% chance of getting in.

What's it like at other schools? A friend of mine said McMaster was closer to a 30% chance of acceptance based on number of interview invites to spots.

Don't forget that # of seats is not equal to number accepted due to people getting accepted to multiple schools or not attending med school for any number of reasons.

McMaster has 203 spots and ~550 interviews. Assuming a ~70% yield (the amount of people who get offers and accept that offer) which seems to be roughly the Ontario standard thats a ~52.72% acceptance post interview. A very conservative 80% yield gets you to 46.13% acceptance post interview.

Western interviews ~400 applicants for 171 spots. At a yield of 70% that is a 61% acceptance rate, at a yield of 80% thats 53.4%.

Ottawa is 590 interviews for 156 spots (including French) or 116 English spots (I don't know the number of English only interviews but lets assume 75 interviews are for French.) from 515 invites. With a 70% yield that puts you around 37.7% for combined English and French or 32.17% using my hypothetical numbers for English only. With an 80% yield that becomes 33.05% combined or 28.16%.

Toronto interviews 570 candidates for 259 spots. At 70% yield that is 64.9% and at 80% yield that is 56.79%.

The true yields may be lower depending on the school and year, Ottawa and Queen's have both had years prior to 2010 with yields in the 50s-60s off the top of my head and Toronto is generally higher, closer to or above 80%.

Western may have a lower than usual yield this year due to their 32 minimum with the 11 verbal making the interview pool very competitive and possibly with more cross-admits than usual.

TL;DR: Western and Toronto give the best odds post interview. Ottawa / Queens (?) give the worst.

The list I came up with this summer in terms of post interview "odds" taking into account hypothesized wait list movement

1. Toronto (~340/550)

2. McMaster (~280/550) pretty sure mac has the most wait list movement

3. Western(~250/450) The swomen spots skew the stats a little bit

4. Ottawa (200~500)

5. Queen's (140/400)

6. Nosm (90/400) they tell you where you are on the wait list

but again there are no really "odds" you either do well on you interview and get in or you bomb it and get rejected from the school.

Archived