Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Interviews

This was a result of maintenance being done by a department outside of the school of medicine, and should not have affected us. Unfortunately no warning of even a potential disruption was given to the school of medicine, so there wasn't exactly anything that could be done from their end.

The admissions officer asked me to post the unofficial update that I did here as she knew that over 4000 people were anxiously awaiting information, and the people who knew that some offers/regrets were sent out before the crash would be the people viewing here.

This is random, terrible luck that this happened on today of all days. I wish I had more of an update for you (I'm home for the day now), but I would be surprised if they left you for the weekend barring an inability to get the server back up. They've been ready to go out all day, they're just waiting for the ability to send them.

Not sure if it helps- but MEdTech (our online learning platform) is up and running despite being down for a while earlier today, and it runs on the same servers. Side note- we use it all day every day and it has only been down for a few minutes maybe 3 or 4 times in my 2 years here. Again, bad luck that it happens today.

I really hope you guys all get notification soon if you haven't already.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was a result of maintenance being done by a department outside of the school of medicine, and should not have affected us. Unfortunately no warning of even a potential disruption was given to the school of medicine, so there wasn't exactly anything that could be done from their end.

The admissions officer asked me to post the unofficial update that I did here as she knew that over 4000 people were anxiously awaiting information, and the people who knew that some offers/regrets were sent out before the crash would be the people viewing here.

This is random, terrible luck that this happened on today of all days. I wish I had more of an update for you (I'm home for the day now), but I would be surprised if they left you for the weekend barring an inability to get the server back up. They've been ready to go out all day, they're just waiting for the ability to send them.

Not sure if it helps- but MEdTech (our online learning platform) is up and running despite being down for a while earlier today, and it runs on the same servers. Side note- we use it all day every day and it has only been down for a few minutes maybe 3 or 4 times in my 2 years here. Again, bad luck that it happens today.

Thanks, that's really nice of you (and them!)

Just hoping to get an answer either way as I need to book flights for Mac. Was waiting on queens in case they ended up on the same weekend.

Queen's is always a colossal f-up every year with invites. You'd think that they could iron out a process that they must repeat every single year without fail. I was part of the year where they sent people invites and then had to retract the invites!

My point is that it would totally be in character for them to leave it over the weekend.

Actually that was the "firstname, lastname" rejection fiasco where everyone was rejected due to a glitch and then those invited for interview were correctly notified afterwards. It was never a case of people having invites rescinded.

That was 3 years ago, the last 2 have had no issues as far as I remember. This situation can hardly be blamed on anything other than bad luck as I've described above. I don't see how a programming glitch 3 years ago and servers being crashed due to maintenance by another department can be attributed to anything "character" related.

So you are saying that there is still a chance to get an invite?

So you are saying that there is still a chance to get an invite?

She simply said that notifications were still pending and waiting in the queue to be sent out as soon as the server was back up- nothing about whether they were invites or rejections. I'm not sure how they were lined up in the queue (if it was invites first, then rejections, or by some other order).

The optimist in me wants to say that its not over until that email hits your inbox. Fingers crossed!

Actually that was the "firstname, lastname" rejection fiasco where everyone was rejected due to a glitch and then those invited for interview were correctly notified afterwards. It was never a case of people having invites rescinded.

That was 3 years ago, the last 2 have had no issues as far as I remember. This situation can hardly be blamed on anything other than bad luck as I've described above. I don't see how a programming glitch 3 years ago and servers being crashed due to maintenance by another department can be attributed to anything "character" related.

Last year we had an issue with the final, post-interview invites, where those who got in had a tentative charge on their Queen's account before the actual invites went out. A few waitlisters could figure out they were on the waitlist even earlier... It was consistent at least, but still pretty stressful at the time!

She simply said that notifications were still pending and waiting in the queue to be sent out as soon as the server was back up- nothing about whether they were invites or rejections. I'm not sure how they were lined up in the queue (if it was invites first, then rejections, or by some other order).

The optimist in me wants to say that its not over until that email hits your inbox. Fingers crossed!

hahaha! thanks for the info Dr.Henderson :)

Last year we had an issue with the final, post-interview invites, where those who got in had a tentative charge on their Queen's account before the actual invites went out. A few waitlisters could figure out they were on the waitlist even earlier... It was consistent at least, but still pretty stressful at the time!

Oh yea- I remember the pm101 panic at the time, haha.

I suppose some technical errors must be expected when thousands of notifications are released in such a short time frame. It's no small task

SOLUS is a different beast- and not controlled by the School of Medicine. Believe me, the SOM has let Queen's know about these frustrations. But I doubt they're at the top of the university's fix-it list since they don't really impact anything other than some people getting a potential preview of their admission status.

dumbtheresachance.gif

Archived