Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know some of you will say, "you can't prepare for interviews", but they might just be waiting to send invites closer to the late-march dates to prevent giving some individuals an unfair advantage in terms of preparation-time.

^ Sounds reasonable.

Still waiting here too. Good luck in these next 4 weeks everyone.

Where did you get that 2000 number from -- sources or are you speculating ??

It's complete speculation!

There were 3153 applications last year, so I guessed around 3200 this year. We're guessing about 400 interviews are already sent out. Out of 400 interviews, about 50 people have posted it in the forum. (1/8 or 0.125 of people).

9 people have posted rejections, so you'd probably estimate about 70-80 people received rejections. BUT, taking into account the vast number of people who don't like posting they were rejected, plus the fact that the people on this forum tend to do better than average, I'd say at least a couple hundred rejections have gone out (but I'm guessing).

Soooooo in the end I just settled on about 2000. Might be a bit more.

I HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS.

Still waiting too.

I know some of you will say, "you can't prepare for interviews", but they might just be waiting to send invites closer to the late-march dates to prevent giving some individuals an unfair advantage in terms of preparation-time.

I hadn't thought of that, good point

There were 3153 applications last year, so I guessed around 3200 this year. We're guessing about 400 interviews are already sent out. Out of 400 interviews, about 50 people have posted it in the forum. (1/8 or 0.125 of people).

9 people have posted rejections, so you'd probably estimate about 70-80 people received rejections. BUT, taking into account the vast number of people who don't like posting they were rejected, plus the fact that the people on this forum tend to do better than average, I'd say at least a couple hundred rejections have gone out (but I'm guessing).

3500 people applied this year. It says in the rejection email. Insane.

I think this is routine- if I remember right, in the past they tried to give equal warning to everyone (more or less)

3500 people applied this year. It says in the rejection email. Insane.

What about the 4100+ at Ottawa or the 5000+ at Mac!

Lol oh man - from a couple hundred to 2000

This is merely speculation but I would imagine that more than 200 regrets have been sent out. I personally know of 6 or 7 that have gotten rejections, have heard of friends of friends who have gotten rejected. I would imagine closer to 1000 have been sent out. This is merely based on my own experiences not any knowledge haha

It sure is with grade inflation.

The MCAT has nothing to do with grade inflation, and a 27 is 57-63 percentile. So plenty of people make that cut off.

Second, "grade inflation" depends on someone deciding on an arbitrary point where average "should" be, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A 3.6 (at my school) is between an A- and a B+ (but much closer to the A- side), so let's say 79%. Since the average grade in most courses is around a 67-70%, and most people applying to med school are above average, 3.6 is not at all unattainable.

So, all in all, yes, there are at least 3000 people who meet those cut offs. Probably more.

The MCAT has nothing to do with grade inflation, and a 27 is 57-63 percentile. So plenty of people make that cut off.

Second, "grade inflation" depends on someone deciding on an arbitrary point where average "should" be, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. A 3.6 (at my school) is between an A- and a B+ (but much closer to the A- side), so let's say 79%. Since the average grade in most courses is around a 67-70%, and most people applying to med school are above average, 3.6 is not at all unattainable.

So, all in all, yes, there are at least 3000 people who meet those cut offs. Probably more.

Clearly (at least I thought so), I was referring to the GPA.

Your interpretation of "grade inflation" seems flawed. This is a real phenomenon, particularly in Ontario, and it's seen a good deal in notorious pre-medical type programs, where profs are feeling an increasing pressure to give out higher grades. This pressure comes largely from students who aim for particular, non arbitrary, grades. I am exposed to the inner workings of academia on a daily basis, and the stuff I hear about in this regard is pretty sad. Anyway, I'm not going to write a wall of text (though this is something that I am very much bothered by); you can find a number of articles about this with very little digging.

Archived