Premed 101 Forums

2014 Backpack Colour

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that I'm going to get one, its going to be hard to be proud about it and wear it happily when I have this underlying irrational dislike of the damn backpack swarm. I'm not sure if I'll wear it.

I recommend wearing it at least for the first week or so. It's super convenient when you can see someone on campus and be like "Oh hey! You're in my class and we haven't met yet. I'm so and so... etc"

Personally getting rid of mine for clerkship but it's been a good 2 years. Really solid backpacks. I also think forest green would have been a waaay better colour than the current leader (turquoise) but to each their own.

But isn't it more than just a free backpack? To me it seems as it has kinda become part of the Canadian med students' culture (mad kudos to MD physician services' marketing team).

I agree with this. I find it interesting that there's this automatic connection between being proud of the achievement of getting into medical school and showing that pride by wearing the backpack, whose viewers (other med students and pre-meds) probably don't receive the message of pride as intended. I would assume the feelings evoked are more like ambivalence or envy, respectively.

An interesting related topic would be the decision to post about acceptance or update your school on facebook, or other social media, etc. Is it just pride? Is it just to update everyone on what you're doing? Or does it have to do with a desire for a specific label or gratification? Perhaps a combination of these?

One value I have is to appraise others for who they are, rather than their profession, status, wealth, etc. For this reason, there is a part of me that very much rejects the idea of anything that gives me an instant label. I have friends that kind of compromise by wearing the bag only part of the time, and I will probably do something similar after everyone knows each other better.

I agree with this. I find it interesting that there's this automatic connection between being proud of the achievement of getting into medical school and showing that pride by wearing the backpack, whose viewers (other med students and pre-meds) probably don't receive the message of pride as intended. I would assume the feelings evoked are more like ambivalence or envy, respectively.

An interesting related topic would be the decision to post about acceptance or update your school on facebook, or other social media, etc. Is it just pride? Is it just to update everyone on what you're doing? Or does it have to do with a desire for a specific label or gratification? Perhaps a combination of these?

One value I have is to appraise others for who they are, rather than their profession, status, wealth, etc. For this reason, there is a part of me that very much rejects the idea of anything that gives me an instant label. I have friends that kind of compromise by wearing the bag only part of the time, and I will probably do something similar after everyone knows each other better.

I struggled with whether or not to post about my acceptances on Facebook. I didn't want to brag, or come across as pretentious. At the same time, I feel that it's okay to be proud of your achievements, and sharing with others is part of that. It's also a convienent way to share the news to many friends and family at once. In the end, I did decide to post it, and I just tried to be as gracious as possible.

Wow, you must be getting excited, only two more weeks!

So excited!! Also nervous and sad, since this will be my first time living away from family. But mostly excited. So soon.

I struggled with whether or not to post about my acceptances on Facebook. I didn't want to brag, or come across as pretentious. At the same time, I feel that it's okay to be proud of your achievements, and sharing with others is part of that. It's also a convienent way to share the news to many friends and family at once. In the end, I did decide to post it, and I just tried to be as gracious as possible.

So excited!! Also nervous and sad, since this will be my first time living away from family. But mostly excited. So soon.

It's good that you thought about it that much, I was in so much shock that I just posted without really thinking too much about it.

Also kind of nervous/sad to move out, first time living away from home and it's quite likely that I won't ever move back in so trying to enjoy the last few months.

It is a matter of all of these. And really, people should be proud that they made it into medical school. It is an incredibly difficult challenge that people put years of their life towards. There is difficulty in presenting this pride in a tactful manner however. I did not make a Facebook status because a lot of my friends were not accepted, or even had to rewrite the MCAT this summer. I found all the statuses overwhelming myself, even though I was accepted (although I am not blaming anyone who posted).

Because almost all my friends and a lot of the people I know are either following the same path, or have absolutely no idea about what I'm doing, I haven't been able to show much pride in my accomplishments. There is no one to share excitement with when you get good grades in a hard class, do well on the MCAT etc. This is why the backpack is important to me. It's along the lines of "show, don't tell." The backpack is a gift so in my opinion no one can misconstrue you as pretentious for wearing it around.

It is a matter of all of these. And really, people should be proud that they made it into medical school. It is an incredibly difficult challenge that people put years of their life towards. There is difficulty in presenting this pride in a tactful manner however. I did not make a Facebook status because a lot of my friends were not accepted, or even had to rewrite the MCAT this summer. I found all the statuses overwhelming myself, even though I was accepted (although I am not blaming anyone who posted).

Because almost all my friends and a lot of the people I know are either following the same path, or have absolutely no idea about what I'm doing, I haven't been able to show much pride in my accomplishments. There is no one to share excitement with when you get good grades in a hard class, do well on the MCAT etc. This is why the backpack is important to me. It's along the lines of "show, don't tell." The backpack is a gift so in my opinion no one can misconstrue you as pretentious for wearing it around.

Fair point. Only one or two of my friends applied this year so it wasn't too big of a deal there.

I totally understand your point here. In my pure happiness, on multiple occasions, I typed up a post for Facebook or took a picture of my acceptance letter for instagram.. However, in the end, I chose not to post it. Like you, there are many friends on these sites that were (heartbreakingly) not accepted this year. From being in that boat the last two years, I know first-hand the utter sadness and disappointment of hearing all the accolades for others getting accepted and you not.

However, I can certainly see why one would want to share their news; it's truly an amazing accomplishment. Just a personal preference :o

(But... I can't wait for my backpack. I have big plans to be-dazzle it :cool: hahahah)

That is an interesting point. I didn't post anything about my acceptances on Facebook, mostly because I dislike Facebook haha. That being said I did text my friends who applied asking whether or not they got in to school X and felt like a bit of a d**k being so excited while they did not get in. It was a very very competitive year with a vast majority of, my friends at least, either getting rejected or waitlisted. That being said there is truly nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishment, to an extent. There is such thing as a bad winner, although I hardly see wearing a backpack as turning you into the aforementioned bad winner.

Archived