Premed 101 Forums

Queen's Interview Discussion 2015

Thank you Dassy, it was in fact sent to my junk mail for some reason.

I guess I don't have anything else to ask other than "how do you deal with the fact that the odds are terrible?". Having 500 interviewees and only 87 spots without much of a wait list movement is certainly discouraging. How did you guys deal with it when you were going through it?

I tried not to think about it to much, because I realized the only person who is going to prevent me from getting in is myself. I decided that if I practiced my heart out I could give myself a good shot, especially at a school where your interview is weighted over your grades/mcat.

The waitlist does move a bit more than you think, because many people have 2+ interviews and will pull out of their spots on the waitlist. Don't let the number of spots worry you, just try your hardest and that's the best you can do :)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I don't have anything else to ask other than "how do you deal with the fact that the odds are terrible?". Having 500 interviewees and only 87 spots without much of a wait list movement is certainly discouraging. How did you guys deal with it when you were going through it?

I didn't really think about it at all. I just really enjoyed myself throughout the entire weekend, and genuinely wanted to come to Queen's because of the amazing experience I had during the interview weekend compared to other schools (I have a fairly large sample size). I think that really came through during the interview.

So my advice: Come to the events put on by the Class of 2018 if you can. Let us show you why you want to come here.

Best of luck! :)

I tried not to think about it to much, because I realized the only person who is going to prevent me from getting in is myself. I decided that if I practiced my heart out I could give myself a good shot, especially at a school where your interview is weighted over your grades/mcat.

The waitlist does move a bit more than you think, because many people have 2+ interviews and will pull out of their spots on the waitlist. Don't let the number of spots worry you, just try your hardest and that's the best you can do :)

I've been trying not think about it for days...only gotten about 4 hours of sleep each night, lol.

What resources or techniques did you find best prepared you for the interview? You mentioned you practiced a lot, was that with groups or just by yourself?

Has anyone received an email regarding the clinical skills session? Still nothing for me.

I think I posted this in the AMA, if you signed up for the clinical skills session you were given your top choice. Unfortunately your email addresses were not part of the signup form, so we weren't able to contact you to confirm. But please show up!! I'm helping run it one of the days and am very excited to teach you guys things!

I've been trying not think about it for days...only gotten about 4 hours of sleep each night, lol.

What resources or techniques did you find best prepared you for the interview? You mentioned you practiced a lot, was that with groups or just by yourself?

I practice by myself, with friends/study groups, with family. Really anybody that was willing to listen to me. I just practiced lots of ethical scenarios, and as many online stems as I could find (probably did >200 by the end); and worked on answering questions about myself and what I chose my extracurriculars, who I was, etc.

(Before I scare some of you, I know that I practiced more than most applicants. But it was the sacrifice I made to ensure I'd get it somewhere ad I had more time to spare in grad school).

Perhaps you are helping out on Sunday at the 5 PM session? :)

I think I posted this in the AMA, if you signed up for the clinical skills session you were given your top choice. Unfortunately your email addresses were not part of the signup form, so we weren't able to contact you to confirm. But please show up!! I'm helping run it one of the days and am very excited to teach you guys things!

Seriously, after meeting you all yesterday, I think Queen's might have jumped to 1st on my preference list over Toronto...

Is it bad of me that I want people to choose a different school so that I have even the tiniest improved chance at getting into Queen's? :P

Has information regarding the number of MMI stations and length of the panel interview been publicized somewhere on the Queen's website? All the other schools I applied to were very direct in what to expect in this regard so curious to know!

Also, repeating the question of the post above, is there a good place to read about Queen's teaching style, or can someone in medical school at Queen's comment on why someone should go to Queen's over other medical schools curriculum/teaching-style wise? There has been a great deal of talk of Queen's revamped curriculum but I can't seem to find exactly what that entailed, and I am curious to know. 

I interviewed as well, and I'm pretty sure they keep the number/type of stations confidential on purpose. The panel is longer than an MMI station.

I just looked here: http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/current_students and read their handbook, etc. for the rest of the information. 

Has information regarding the number of MMI stations and length of the panel interview been publicized somewhere on the Queen's website? All the other schools I applied to were very direct in what to expect in this regard so curious to know!

Also, repeating the question of the post above, is there a good place to read about Queen's teaching style, or can someone in medical school at Queen's comment on why someone should go to Queen's over other medical schools curriculum/teaching-style wise? There has been a great deal of talk of Queen's revamped curriculum but I can't seem to find exactly what that entailed, and I am curious to know. 

You can check out this website with our curriculum http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/curriculum

If you go to the Dean's Reception during interview weekend, he spends a great deal of time talking about the new curriculum and all its pros/cons. In brief, what I really like about Queens is that it combines all different types of learning: Lectures/didactic, small group and facilitated small group sessions, case-based learning, etc. Many times we'll have a two-hour lecture on material and then small group sessions right after that cements what we just learned by applying the knowledge to real-life situations.

What's really unique about Queens is that they listen to student feedback. They'll ask for evaluations after each course and there are students on committees for how to improve the courses. They listen to the feedback and actually apply it very quickly, to the point where our classes in first year have been altered from feedback from the second years. It's really nice to know that people are listening and applying how you think a course could be improved.

If you have any more specific questions about the curriculum let us know!

Slightly off topic, but did anyone get their student IDs for the bursary application yet? They're due on the 31st, and they said they'd send them soon after our interview. I'm getting kinda worried. I emailed yesterday but no response.

I haven't, but was wondering the same thing

Archived