Premed 101 Forums

If You Couldn't Be A Physician, What Would You Be?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

plus usually your backup is supposed to be something relatively easier for you to get into (otherwise I could back up with say being the prime minister :) ). Dentistry isn't exactly a trivial field to get accepted for.

It's funny because I know of someone who had dentistry as their first choice but ended up getting into med as their backup. Each profession favours different profiles. Dentistry favours really high GPAs with less of a focus on ECs. So, for example if you're from a province without a dental school, schools generally have very high GPA requirements for OOPs (e.g. usask 94%+ avg.) whereas for med you can make up for slightly less raw academics with ECs at many schools.

I think I could settle into a career as a clinical & counseling psychologist, a veterinarian, or perhaps a chiropractor. I also looked at the cardiovascular perfusionist program, as someone mentioned above, at Michener in Toronto. The program sounds interesting.

I was originally set on pursuing human medicine when I began University but thought I should at least explore different possibilities since there are so many interesting careers. Now I'm pursuing veterinary medicine instead haha. 

I was originally set on pursuing human medicine when I began University but thought I should at least explore different possibilities since there are so many interesting careers. Now I'm pursuing veterinary medicine instead haha.

I've met so many people who have gone the other way (prevet to premed) because of the generally terrible job prospects of vetmed. Friend of mine turned down her acceptance to vet school at AVC last year to pursue human med. What prompted you to go the other way?

I think I would end up doing some sort of epi degree, PHAC field epidemiologist training program or a doctorate in some form of clinical epi. As my prof always says, "epidemiologists are the doctors of the masses" or something like that...

But yeah, epidemiology is pretty cool but I cant stand all the grant writing that you have to do. Oh, and how long it takes to get a job  :D

I've always had an interest in genetics, but have zero  interest in a research career (just not for me, I like a more people-centered work environment) so I'd look into genetics counselling. Although each school takes 6ish people so I'll probably need to find an alternative I actually have a chance at if med doesn't work out :P

I've met so many people who have gone the other way (prevet to premed) because of the generally terrible job prospects of vetmed. Friend of mine turned down her acceptance to vet school at AVC last year to pursue human med. What prompted you to go the other way?

That's really funny because a friend of mine applied to vet schools and was about to go through with her med school acceptance to Ottawa (it's not what she personally wanted) but finally got into AVC when she was about to give up. I guess their roles switched haha. I've met quite a few who've gone both ways, and have even heard MD <--> DVM transitions as well. 

Both fields are very interesting and have a lot of great things to offer, but I'm personally way too intrigued by wildlife rehabilitation and enjoy working with a variety of animals (not that humans aren't interesting and diverse, too :P). I was lucky enough to have shadowed physicians and work in medical clinics and hospitals, but the atmosphere in the veterinary clinics and wildlife centres I was able to help at was certainly different and one I personally enjoyed more. I really do not mean to take anything away from those in the profession and I have the utmost respect for all those involved in human medicine, but I generally found from my experiences that those who were in vet medicine (vets, techs, volunteers) were almost always passionate and truly wanted to be there (obviously many in human medicine share the same sentiment). It wasn't just a means to an end but the staff enjoyed the whole process and are committed to these animals. Whether it's holding a panicking animal after surgery or feeding orphaned wildlife, the more direct care with the medicine seemed a lot more involved. Combining different areas of medicine (e.g. surgery, dentistry, GP, dermatology, oncology--with definite limits, of course) into one practice is more exciting to me as well. 

Job prospects are definitely important (especially in wildlife medicine) but whether it's locum work or a change of scenery, as long as I'm motivated I'm sure I'll find more work to be done. I'm also interested in (physics and mathematical biology) research so there's definitely a lot to consider but vetmed is a field I've really come to love and wouldn't want it any other way. 

no one want to become a dentist if med-school did not work out? :( *sad*

anyway, my alternative career would be in Wall-street, investment firm, or start-up my biz lolz

Yes...finally someone who has the same backup as me lol. We should chat sometime...haha

Most people who fail to make the cut for medicine mostly end up pursuing dentistry. My friend who desperately wanted to be a physician ever since he started watching Grey’s Anatomy is presently a doctor of dental science and he pretty much loves what he is doing. He learnt that there is nothing better than having the ability to put a smile on people’s faces which he understood while taking his grandma to the family dentistry in Calgary for her regular check ups and that is exactly why he is happy with what he has been able to achieve. Almost 50% people do things which aren't exactly their first choice. People are adaptable and hence it is always nice to have a backup plan just in case things don’t work out as planned. The opportunities are limitless hence choose wisely, live well.

That was a really well done post by a computer bot..

Because it links to a dentists website. Talk about marketing and getting traffic to their website...

That was a really well done post by a computer bot..

Because it links to a dentists website. Talk about marketing and getting traffic to their website...

LOL, I know! There are way less dental schools in Canada than there are med schools. It is no less competitive to get into.

• 2 weeks later...

-neuropsychology (Do clinical psych and would love to study hallucinogens if possible but would probably have to leave Canada, I could sill do this with med though so that is appealing)

-would like to experiment with comp. programming (it seems interesting and I know zero about it)

-air traffic controller in order to fund fooling around in the stock market

-own a dog farm (this is unrealistic but fuck do I ever love dogs)

I think in all honesty that if you are able to even come close to medicine or be able to get through a difficult university program you shouldn't be to worried. If you generally like learning you will continue to learn and this will give you the upper hand on the other 90% of society (knowledge is power after all)

Archived