Premed 101 Forums

Best University For Undergrad? (From Bc)

gopz

Hi guys,

I'm heading to university next year and wondering where I should go for undergrad. Is there any disadvantage to going to Ontario for university if I'm from BC? The programs i'm looking at are UWO med sci, U of T life sci, UBC Science. My average right now is about ~94%.

Also, I'm confused as to whether I would lose IP status if I move to ontario, and therefore lessen the chances of getting into med school... that is why I am worried of moving provinces. I would prefer to move to Ontario as I don't like living in BC anymore but having the best chance at med school is still my first priority. 

Thanks for the help.

What's wrong with living in BC? Just curious on rational. If its moving away from home(pretty common for my old hs peers to go out of province to be away from FAM etc), you can just live in residence, but you can't go wrong really.

Same same, but different.

Not so much I don't want to live in BC but I find Toronto much more interesting :P

Also I may not get into UBC Science because I have little ECs, but with my high average I should get into UWO and u of t.

Lots of people from BC come to mac health sci and don't lose their IP status. Many of them end up going back to UBC for med school.

Thanks. I had thought that once you lose your BC care card you are no longer a resident, guess I was wrong.

Does this mean I can get IP status in both BC and ontario?

As a student you do not have to give up your BC care card, because technically you're only temporarily Leaving the province. You just have to inform BC MSP that you're going to be away for school. Which is great because with your care card you're IP for BC, and living in Ontario for three years makes you IP for Mac I think

Oh, that's awesome. Is it only Mac that I will be IP status for if I make the move to ontario? And do Ontario med schools give a big preference to IP applicants or do they weigh IP and OOP almost the same? I think in vancouver/alberta it matters a lot.

Thanks

Alberta is best. From what I understand you would be able to have IP status in BC and Alberta for a total of 3 schools (please verify this for yourself). Of course you can still apply to Ontario as well where most schools don't have IP/OOP considerations anyways so moving to Ontario doesn't provide any real advantage for medical school admissions.

If Ontario is the only place you would move, you might as well just stay in BC where you'll have your social networks, etc.

Regarding Alberta universities, would you recommend going to UofA or UofC and for which majors specifically? I havent done much research into alberta universities. I'll try and convince my parents that studying in alberta is the right choice lol

Thanks for the help

Alberta is best. From what I understand you would be able to have IP status in BC and Alberta for a total of 3 schools (please verify this for yourself). Of course you can still apply to Ontario as well where most schools don't have IP/OOP considerations anyways so moving to Ontario doesn't provide any real advantage for medical school admissions.

If Ontario is the only place you would move, you might as well just stay in BC where you'll have your social networks, etc.

This is somewhat true but there is a slight catch. You will only be IP for Calgary if attending a uni there. For UofA you are only IP because you spent 12 consecutive months in Alberta before applying. So let's say you are unsuccesful applying once you are done at an Alberta university. You would have to remain another year to be considered IP for UofA. It might seem all awesome that going to another province is good no matter if it's Ontario or Alberta. But you have to remember you are going to a place with no connections and minimal support. This can impact GPA. Key word is can. Many of us discuss moving to other places is beneficial but it's a lot harder when done because it can be financially, emotionally, and mentally straining. So it's something to think about.

If I can convince my parents to allow me to go to Alberta, I will definitely be going to U of A. At U of A, Should I take general science for the higher GPA or specialization/honors physiology?

If you can specialize later on than choose general science, but if you can't I would specialize.

Really, you should pursue whichever course of study that you are most interested in. You also may want to take into consideration things like class sizes, research opportunities, etc. at the universities you consider attending. The main thing that you don't want to underestimate in this entire process is how ready you are to move away from your social networks, friends and family and how comfortable you are with the idea of living on your own or with a roommate. 

It's not for everyone and it depends on where you are at personally, at this time.

You also want to keep in mind where you can get the best grades (ex. 3.9+ on a 4.0 scale) and in what program. Please take a very thorough and balanced approach while evaluating all of this.

Should go to Alberta, and get IP benefits tbh.

This. And to answer your question, you would not lose your BC residency as long as you have your BC care card since you need to show UBC med the card when you apply. So just don't lose the card no matter where you move and you should be fine.

I really appreciate the help, guys.

I'm pretty set on going to Alberta for uni now, and my parents are fine with it after some convincing lol. However I'm about concerned that there won't be the same opportunities for research/ECs compared to a uni in Ontario (heard this a few times)-- will this be a problem?

Archived