CXR

Doing A Masters During Medical School

9 posts in this topic

I know some people complete a Masters program before graduating from medical school, what is the process for that? Is it before/after clerkship? Can it be done at a different school? Can it be an MSc? 

At my school, it is usually done between the preclinical years and clerkship. It can be many different degrees like an MSc, an MPH or even an MBA. Finally, they allow you to complete it at a different school as long as an agreement can be reached.

At my school, it is usually done between the preclinical years and clerkship. It can be many different degrees like an MSc, an MPH or even an MBA. Finally, they allow you to complete it at a different school as long as an agreement can be reached.

that is not dissimilar to other schools I have heard from. Also some people take it after medical school as well prior to applying to CARMS. 

I know some people complete a Masters program before graduating from medical school, what is the process for that? Is it before/after clerkship? Can it be done at a different school? Can it be an MSc? 

At Mac, you can complete it through our enrichment year program which most people take between pre-clerk and clerkship.  You can also complete clinical electives during this period.

And some do it through a distance ed program during residency.

Yup - I am actually :) 

(side note - having internet on planes is just completely awesome. We live in amazing times). 

zaphyraph likes this

Yup - I am actually :)

(side note - having internet on planes is just completely awesome. We live in amazing times). 

How can one complete a masters during residency? How do you find the time to do it? And which school do people get these distance ed masters from?

How can one complete a masters during residency? How do you find the time to do it? And which school do people get these distance ed masters from?

for me is in education. 

Finding time is like anything else - you have to sacrifice something. A course takes about 10 hours a week. We have vacation time and professional development time as well. Not easy of course.