Premed 101 Forums

Admission Statistics for 2023 Class

No, what it means is the kind of person who beats the MCAT cutoffs is likely also a good student and beats the cutoff by a large margin. Look at the MCAT tables the AAMC puts out, higher scoring MCAT people are disproportionately found in the upper end of the GPA distribution. As one of my EdPsych profs put it "Life isn't far, some people are good at everything". 

What's significant to me is that 77% only have a 4-year bachelors and that the average age is 23, with a range of 21-36. This points to a lot of 21, 22, and 23 year olds, given that anyone in their 30s drags up the average significantly more than a 21 year old drags it down, giving some hope to first cycle applicants who are constantly hearing the unsupported "It takes an average of 3 times" refrain. 

I also found it interesting that they lumped graduate and professional degrees together, since I'd say there's a big difference in time investment between someone with a 1 year Masters vs. a Pharmacy or Law degree going back to school and it would have been interesting to see a delineation. 

• 3 weeks later...

A bit more info that Schulich revealed during orientation: 

Out of those with graduate degrees, 3 people have PhDs, and I believe most of the others are peeps with masters. Not too sure how they defined professional degrees here... Technically, B.Eng and BScN are both professional degrees?

The people who were from non-Canadian schools: 2 from Oxford, 1 from Brown, 1 from Northwestern

Yikes! Only 60 SWOMEN? I use to think being SWOMEN had huge advantage (aside from the low MCAT scores) like other universities that favor IP (Dalhousie etc). 

** Edit: I guess that depends on the stats of how may SWOMEN applied and interviewed to see the advantage of being SWOMEN

5 hours ago, ABCD13 said:

Yikes! Only 60 SWOMEN? I use to think being SWOMEN had huge advantage (aside from the low MCAT scores) like other universities that favor IP (Dalhousie etc). 

** Edit: I guess that depends on the stats of how may SWOMEN applied and interviewed to see the advantage of being SWOMEN

I mean... the year before 79 SWOMENs were admitted. 60 still accounts for roughly a third (!!) of the incoming class. So still a huge advantage, given how SWOMEN is a much narrower area than the entire province too :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 10:23 AM, YesIcan55 said:

the average age of 23 is not common. UofC/UofA/UBC for instance have average ages of 25-26. The average med student has to apply 3 times is not unsupported...check out Dr.Ian Walker from UofC (former head of admissions) as well as the current head of admissions who quote official data...the reason that Western has such a low average age is because they only really look at GPA/MCAT and have a high % of those accepted from the interview stage compared to other schools as well as SWOMEN....so as long as you are SWOMEN and/or meet the GPA/MCAT cutoffs you are in as long as your interview is fine. Check out the UBC/UofA/UofC threads to read about people applying 5+ times to no avail. The situation is different at different schools. 

That's not entirely true, at least in terms of UBC. The average age for UBC has been around 24 for the past 3 or 4 years, with the 21-23 age category making up close to 50% of the class (by far the largest proportion). 

On 12/20/2019 at 1:23 PM, YesIcan55 said:

the average age of 23 is not common. UofC/UofA/UBC for instance have average ages of 25-26. The average med student has to apply 3 times is not unsupported...check out Dr.Ian Walker from UofC (former head of admissions) as well as the current head of admissions who quote official data...the reason that Western has such a low average age is because they only really look at GPA/MCAT and have a high % of those accepted from the interview stage compared to other schools as well as SWOMEN....so as long as you are SWOMEN and/or meet the GPA/MCAT cutoffs you are in as long as your interview is fine. Check out the UBC/UofA/UofC threads to read about people applying 5+ times to no avail. The situation is different at different schools. 

A plurality of the class for Schulich 2023 is 21-22 but there are a lot of people who are 24-25 and not an insignificant number of people in the 27+ range. Comes out to an average age of 23 (but I seem to recall in orientation the number was closer to 24 than 23)