Premed 101 Forums

References contacted 2020

1 hour ago, Medicine12345 said:

Also does anyone know what it means if your references are contacted? Does it mean that you're at least on the waitlist for sure?

I don't think you can say for sure...the purpose of the reference check is more to rule people out. From the USask Applicant Guide: "Reference feedback is not scored (i.e., the information provided by references is not used in ranking for admission)"

1 hour ago, Medicine12345 said:

Also does anyone know what it means if your references are contacted? Does it mean that you're at least on the waitlist for sure?

Apparently getting reference checks mean that you have passed the interview (Based on what I have been hearing so far). But in no way does it confirm you have been admitted/waitlisted.

2 hours ago, strugglingstudent said:

I know of a few people with last names earlier in the alphabet who have already had references contacted so I suspect they are doing it alphabetically.

Ok yes makes sense, friends of mine who have heard back also have last names with the first few letters of the alphabet. Mine is near the middle so I guess we wait...

21 minutes ago, wannabdoctor said:

Apparently getting reference checks mean that you have passed the interview (Based on what I have been hearing so far). But in no way does it confirm you have been admitted/waitlisted.

Ok yes makes sense, friends of mine who have heard back also have last names with the first few letters of the alphabet. Mine is near the middle so I guess we wait...

From previous threads apparently, if you got your reference contacted that means you made the cut-off is that right? Wouldn't that essentially mean you're at least wait listed (assuming no red flags from your references)? 

18 minutes ago, Medicine12345 said:

From previous threads apparently, if you got your reference contacted that means you made the cut-off is that right? Wouldn't that essentially mean you're at least wait listed (assuming no red flags from your references)? 

That's what I've seen on a few different threads. FYI I also have had my references contacted and I'm OOP - higher up alphabetically.

One of my references let me know today that USask has scheduled a phone call with him for sometime next week. I'm wondering if they couldn't reach his work number so they emailed him to arrange a phone call at an alternate number? He didn't give me any details.

OOP, last name starts with M as well. 

The only thing we can really get out of references contacted based off of trends in previous forums is that if they are contacted, you are either accepted or waitlisted (or rejected if your reference red flags you), and if they aren't contacted by the end of April/first week of may then you are most likely out of consideration. But we can never truly know.

6 hours ago, MD_Dream97 said:

Same here, two of mine were contacted OOP so I was worried that maybe the first one had said something that made them call the second one but maybe it's normal? 

Some applicants only have one referee contacted. 

Mine got two reference as well. I’m sure it’s normal as both mine have got only the email and they both have a call setup for next week. .