Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Sign in to follow this  
aloeplant

When will UofA give unsuccessful applicants feedback?

Recommended Posts

Wait I'm really confused. In the feedback letter, they give you the average scores for applicants who were offered an interview. I wasn't offered an interview but I had a 3.96 GPA (avg was 3.82), a 7/17 on activity score (avg was 6/17), and a slightly above average MCAT. 

Considering that I was above the average in every category compared to the group of applicants who DID recieve interviews (and meaning that that roughly half of the applicants had worse file review scores), shouldn't I have received an interview too?

My CASPer score is the only part of the application I don't know, so should I just assume that was what did me in? I guess I wasn't offered an interview at Mac either, but I assumed that was due to a low CARS score more than anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Medapplicant24 said:

It has been uploaded on your secondary med application under 'Documents'

How do I reach "Documents"? I don't see this tab. I just see a column of personal info, contact info, citizenship info, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zxcccxz said:

Wait I'm really confused. In the feedback letter, they give you the average scores for applicants who were offered an interview. I wasn't offered an interview but I had a 3.96 GPA (avg was 3.82), a 7/17 on activity score (avg was 6/17), and a slightly above average MCAT. 

Considering that I was above the average in every category compared to the group of applicants who DID recieve interviews (and meaning that that roughly half of the applicants had worse file review scores), shouldn't I have received an interview too?

My CASPer score is the only part of the application I don't know, so should I just assume that was what did me in? I guess I wasn't offered an interview at Mac either, but I assumed that was due to a low CARS score more than anything...

Sorry to hear that. How did you feel about your CASPer? Mac from my understanding uses GPA, CARS and CASPer. If your CARS is decent (>126), I imagine it was your CASPer that caused problems for both schools.

I felt I did terrible on my CASPer (missed 1-2 q's) and still got an interview at U of A with very similar stats to yours.  So it is a bit difficult for me to believe U of A places so much emphasis on CASPer pre-interview. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, zxcccxz said:

Wait I'm really confused. In the feedback letter, they give you the average scores for applicants who were offered an interview. I wasn't offered an interview but I had a 3.96 GPA (avg was 3.82), a 7/17 on activity score (avg was 6/17), and a slightly above average MCAT. 

Considering that I was above the average in every category compared to the group of applicants who DID recieve interviews (and meaning that that roughly half of the applicants had worse file review scores), shouldn't I have received an interview too?

My CASPer score is the only part of the application I don't know, so should I just assume that was what did me in? I guess I wasn't offered an interview at Mac either, but I assumed that was due to a low CARS score more than anything...

that’s insane... I interviewed with a 3.6 and a 506 MCAT so I wonder how much they weigh ECs and the CASPER...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zxcccxz said:

Wait I'm really confused. In the feedback letter, they give you the average scores for applicants who were offered an interview. I wasn't offered an interview but I had a 3.96 GPA (avg was 3.82), a 7/17 on activity score (avg was 6/17), and a slightly above average MCAT. 

Considering that I was above the average in every category compared to the group of applicants who DID recieve interviews (and meaning that that roughly half of the applicants had worse file review scores), shouldn't I have received an interview too?

My CASPer score is the only part of the application I don't know, so should I just assume that was what did me in? I guess I wasn't offered an interview at Mac either, but I assumed that was due to a low CARS score more than anything...

Hmm, the only thing I can think of would be tripping some sort of red flag or pass/fail type thing. This could only really come down to CASPer or references I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rinzler said:

Can anyone with an oop invite chime in? I have 8/17 activity score, above average Mcat and a Casper good enough for Mac. I want to know what I can improve on for next cycle. 

Hey, I had an interview as OOP this year. Not sure what my EC score is, but I have 128 CARS with 516 total, 4.00 GPA, and my Casper was not good enough for a Mac invite with 128 CARS and 3.84 cGPA. I got a couple of interviews at EC heavy schools though. Pretty surprised as my EC score last year was 3/16..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, garceyues said:

Hmm, the only thing I can think of would be tripping some sort of red flag or pass/fail type thing. This could only really come down to CASPer or references I think. 

It's widely believed (but not proven) that the UofA only looks at references post-interview as a P/F step. If your stats are above average in everything the only thing that would make sense is CASPer or some verifier being negative perhaps. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theevilsloth said:

Hey, I had an interview as OOP this year. Not sure what my EC score is, but I have 128 CARS with 516 total, 4.00 GPA, and my Casper was not good enough for a Mac invite with 128 CARS and 3.84 cGPA. I got a couple of interviews at EC heavy schools though. Pretty surprised as my EC score last year was 3/16..

Ah I have interviews at ec heavy schools too. My gpa is lower and they must weigh that heavily. Thanks for the feedback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rinzler said:

Can anyone with an oop invite chime in? I have 8/17 activity score, above average Mcat and a Casper good enough for Mac. I want to know what I can improve on for next cycle. 

Chiming in as another OOP who did interview this year. I have a 3.97 GPA and a 524 MCAT (132 CARS)... I think my Casper wasn't super great because I was waitlisted to interview at Mac (also oop). I was pretty surprised to get the UofA interview tbh. Not sure about ECs but I did interview at a couple other EC-heavy schools. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly we have no idea how UofA selects applicants. They are now far more of a blackbox than Queen’s. There is no indication of whether GPA or MCAT are used as cut offs or competitively and how much each part of the application is worth. I do want to point out that every UofA verifier has a chance to speak about the applicant in the verifier form, something that doesn’t happen for other schools. It takes one verifier to say something negative about you and that could be used as a red flag. I would be very careful about who your verifiers are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, anonymouspanda said:

Avg MCAT score: 129.56, max 131.25 (x/132)

Avg cGPA: 3.93, max 4.00 (x/4.0)

Avg personal activities score: 7.00, max 12.00 (x/17)

 

These are for OOP. Here’s IP as well: 

Avg MCAT score: 128.24, max 132 (x/132)

Avg cGPA: 3.82, max 4.00 (x/4.0)

Avg personal activities score: 6.00, max 12.00 (x/17)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theevilsloth said:

Does it show OOP minimums? 

U of A only shows average and maximum on feedback letters. I haven't seen them release minimums in past 7 admission cycles lol. Your can check the interviewed thread for an idea what the lowest interviewed OOP applicants were, but keep in mind that those numbers might still be inflated

OOP applicants who were admitted have their stats posted here, with minimums included: https://www.ualberta.ca/medicine/programs/md/applying-to-medicine/before-you-apply/admission-statistics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...