Premed 101 Forums

Western interview thoughts 2020

So how did everyone find it? I thought my panel was nice and friendly though they were trying to be neutral! Med student perpetually looked skeptical lol. I had to ask them to repeat a few questions because they were way too long, by the time they finished stating the question I had lost track of the first bit. Chocolate was a nice touch but I forgot to take some for the road

First interview ever so felt a little shaky at first but overall I think it went pretty good. The panel was definitely encouraging but still remained pretty neutral throughout. I also took some candies when I left lol. I don't think I was ever really surprised by any of the questions - pretty standard panel type. I guess now we just have to wait 2 months... 

Honestly I didn't feel like it went great. Was also my first interview ever and felt like I was sort of rambling on. One question I didn't even feel like I answered fully but other questions felt quite strong. Guess I'll just have to wait and see... My panel was a mix of encouraging and neutral. Still got one more this year, hopefully it goes a bit better!

I'm a bit bummed, tbh. I connected really well w all 3 panelists and had really concise and unique experiences to share for all the questions but one. We even exchanged light hearted jokes from time to time. I really think I messed up the policy question and its kinda sad because I really liked Schulich and I hope 1 question doesn't change the outcome.. But they mark each question so it might! :( 

On 3/11/2020 at 3:37 PM, RaptorsFan123 said:

I'm a bit bummed, tbh. I connected really well w all 3 panelists and had really concise and unique experiences to share for all the questions but one. We even exchanged light hearted jokes from time to time. I really think I messed up the policy question and its kinda sad because I really liked Schulich and I hope 1 question doesn't change the outcome.. But they mark each question so it might! :( 

i r

42 minutes ago, RaptorsFan123 said:

they actually mark each question?? how do they keep up lol.. I thought they would just take some notes and then complete an overall score sheet afterwards

I got cut off on the last question so I feel you- I'm sure it won't make or break it

@Trunkate At least for me, they would seem very very engaged with what I had to say, things like "Wow" and "perfect" from time to time.. Also things in common, one of the panelists was involved in teaching, which I talked a lot about for one of my answers.Then again they might be saying that to everyone. Compared to UofT at least, I kinda felt a more genuine connection... So that's what I mean by connected well... But nonetheless, I hear the smiliest interviewers often are the harshest ones lol....

2 minutes ago, Trunkate said:

What do people mean when they say they "connected well" with their panel? Does that mean they responded positively to your answers?

9 minutes ago, RaptorsFan123 said:

@Trunkate At least for me, they would seem very very engaged with what I had to say, things like "Wow" and "perfect" from time to time.. Also things in common, one of the panelists was involved in teaching, which I talked a lot about for one of my answers.Then again they might be saying that to everyone. Compared to UofT at least, I kinda felt a more genuine connection... So that's what I mean by connected well... But nonetheless, I hear the smiliest interviewers often are the harshest ones lol....

yeah you never know for sure - so it is important to just do your best regardless of the interview style. Interviewing is always awkward for both parties, and interviewers can just put on a persona to deal with that. Still none of that sounds bad :).....

2 hours ago, Trunkate said:

What do people mean when they say they "connected well" with their panel? Does that mean they responded positively to your answers?

same I always wondered too - I thought by warm receptive panel people meant outspoken rlly jokey/light bantering panels but the most any of my panels did was smile/nod or chuckle but not rlly say anything, they seemed pretty serious.

can't believe i have 2 more months of this agonizing :')

21 minutes ago, chrsyjun said:

same I always wondered too - I thought by warm receptive panel people meant outspoken rlly jokey/light bantering panels but the most any of my panels did was smile/nod or chuckle but not rlly say anything, they seemed pretty serious.

can't believe i have 2 more months of this agonizing :')

Ha medicine - just full of painful waits. Honestly by the end of fellowships (with at least 2-3 similar painful waits) you start getting desensitized. I wonder if that is why some admins are a bit tone deaf to this sort of thing.