Premed 101 Forums

Accepted applicants, how many entries did you have filled out in the personal activities section?

Projecting into the future, if I continue with my current EC's, I'm only going to have a few very-long term EC's (5 summers + 4 semesters of research in fall and winter, playing a sport for 5+ years and coaching for 3, and a part-time job held for 2ish years, 200 hours into a volunteer position over 2 years). I can make some room in my schedule so that I am able to sprinkle in more volunteer activities. But as it is, I have 1 entry for employment, 3 for leadership, 3 for volunteering, and 2 for life experiences. I don't want to discontinue the long-term activities that I love to make room for new ones, nor do I want to spread myself thin and risk hurting my GPA. But I can only see myself filling in 11-12 entries if I am being realistic. How big of an issue is this?

Wow. That's pretty amazing! For the life experience/achievements section, I have multiple summer research studentship awards (HYRS, AIHS, WCHRI). Each experience associated with the award was somewhat unique, but I'm not sure if I should list each award separately or should I bunch them all together in a single research entry?

I had all 16 entries filled and definitely had some that were <100 hrs.

For your latter question, definitely group the research awards into one entry. This section is your chance to show that you're a well-rounded applicant who's had a variety of life experiences rather than an aggregate of nothing but research. See if you can speak about arts and music, sports and athletics, languages and communication, cultural and ethnic experiences, travel, etc.

I only had 3 entries in two of the sections and received admission this year. I know several other people who have gotten in without filling out all 16 entries. My impression is it is more about the substance and impact of your entries rather than trying to fill up space. For reference I had an average gpa (3.89) and below average MCAT (508 w/126 CARS). So I must have made up for it with above average ECs even though I didn't fill out all 16. 

• 1 month later...