Premed 101 Forums

Certified Cheque for Tuition Deposit??

I was very fortunate to received an offer from UBC however I am finding their payment instructions SO confusing. I have been unable to use the Interac online option (despite trying both RBC and TD accounts). So I moved onto the certified cheque options. However, they say "A certified cheque is a cheque from the bank, not from your personal chequing account. The bank confirms you have sufficient funds, then issues a cheque on your behalf." I went to the bank and they said that what they're describing is a bank draft and not a certified cheque. Now I'm not sure which to send. I have messaged the Admin team but have not heard back. Can anyone provide guidance? Sorry if this is confusing or neurotic. 

Every year they do this and it’s always annoying and confusing for incoming students. I don’t understand why they don’t change it. Especially now with the pandemic, the last thing any one wants to do is go to a physical bank. 

One other thing you can try: In my year I ended up finding someone I knew with a regular interac card and account who could pay it online for me, and then I just e-transferred them the money. 

33 minutes ago, GOODATGETTINGREJECTED said:

i’m in the same boat. I opened up a TD account but i gather I can’t send money since I have a debit/visa TD card. considering sending a cheque tomorrow.

Yeah I called TD and they said they don't do it with their regular cards anymore or something? I feel like this is the final test to get into med school lol .. :/

3 hours ago, GOODATGETTINGREJECTED said:

If anyone calls mdadmissions today, can they let us know in this thread whether we are to send a certified cheque or a bank draft pleaseeeee

I think they don't have a phone line currently due to COVID, but I messaged through the application portal and basically sent the same thing as my original post.

Their reply: A bank draft will be sufficient.

My reply: Just to confirm, I should not send the certified cheque I had made and should instead send a bank draft?

Their reply: We will accept either.

SO I sent a certified cheque via courier but I also printed out the messages and put them in the envelope as well. Gotta cover all bases 

6 minutes ago, premed1765849321 said:

I think they don't have a phone line currently due to COVID, but I messaged through the application portal and basically sent the same thing as my original post.

Their reply: A bank draft will be sufficient.

My reply: Just to confirm, I should not send the certified cheque I had made and should instead send a bank draft?

Their reply: We will accept either.

SO I sent a certified cheque via courier but I also printed out the messages and put them in the envelope as well. Gotta cover all bases 

awesome, thank you!

26 minutes ago, Call_Me_Reject_Man said:

I just went with FedEx. Might be a bit more expensive but I've used them before so am comfortable using them. They had a couple different price options for express courier ($35-65 - different delivery times for tomorrow).

Can you tell a bit more about what options you selected?

For those who sent a certified cheque/bank draft, how long did it take for the application status page to update to "Received" after the cheque has been delivered (as seen on courier tracking)? 

Mine says it was delivered 9am on May 18th, but says not received. 

35 minutes ago, welovevan said:

For those who sent a certified cheque/bank draft, how long did it take for the application status page to update to "Received" after the cheque has been delivered (as seen on courier tracking)? 

Mine says it was delivered 9am on May 18th, but says not received. 

Same here. Was delivered yesterday morning at 10am still says not received. Probably takes the office a little while to process it/update status

Can I just say – take a breather! Stop stressing about if your status changes because a) it’s a pandemic and less people are not working from the office where your cheques are being sent, so more time to process, and b) you’ve accepted and have done all the things you need to this point.. no one is looking for you to slip up and rescind your offer. Realise you’ll have constant tasks to be doing as the summer progresses, take time to stop checking your OAS! ❤️

9 minutes ago, PlantZaddy said:

Can I just say – take a breather! Stop stressing about if your status changes because a) it’s a pandemic and less people are not working from the office where your cheques are being sent, so more time to process, and b) you’ve accepted and have done all the things you need to this point.. no one is looking for you to slip up and rescind your offer. Realise you’ll have constant tasks to be doing as the summer progresses, take time to stop checking your OAS! ❤️

Sounds like you paid with interac online ...