Premed 101 Forums

UBC MD Interview Invites/Regrets Thread - 2021/22

Result: regrets, 84.5% gpa, NAQ 75-100, non trad applicant with lots of work experience in leadership roles, volunteering in health care, crisis intervention, and executive positions, plus hobbies. 513 mcat. Was offered an interview last year with very similar stats but my result has shifted quite a bit to the left this year compared to last year (or the cutoff has shifted quite a bit to the right). 

3 minutes ago, futuredoctor5279 said:

Anyone receive a much lower NAQ than they expected? I have TONS of research, a publication, I am a co-founder of a local organization, I have a decent amount of volunteering. I just am so confused. I was in the lowest quartile..

Same with me. My application was mainly research focused (my plan was academia until recently) with 10 publications, many big research awards, 6 years of research experience, and my volunteering was very science education focused. 2nd quartile NAQ. My guess is that they either don't value research as much as some other schools and instead want to see more volunteering, or they want to see more well-rounded candidates and I guess that's not me.

1 minute ago, 24KaratPureAu said:

Same here. In the past two cycles I was ranging at least in the 50-75percentile, this time around I'm in the lowest quartile. 

I was in the same quartile but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t scored lower. I could have been on the higher end of the quartile last year and the lower end this year. My gpa hasn’t changed since last year so it would make sense if that was the case, due to my score being lower

2 minutes ago, Fingerscrossed17 said:

I was in the same quartile but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t scored lower. I could have been on the higher end of the quartile last year and the lower end this year. My gpa hasn’t changed since last year so it would make sense if that was the case, due to my score being lower

I'm in the same boat that I have graduated so my undergrad GPA doesn't change. My NAQ dropped two quartiles despite most of the entries stayed similarly or updated with more hours. 

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:34 PST
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): Regrets
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): ~83%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 518 (129/127/131/131)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): IP
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies):

Non-traditional. Third time applicant. BSc and PhD completed. Very research focused. 16 publications, lots of competitive awards, presentations, lots of advocacy and volunteerism work, 7 lines of employment. Sucks to be rejected yet again pre-interview...my total score actually went down from last year...

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 75th-100th

12 minutes ago, futuredoctor5279 said:

Anyone receive a much lower NAQ than they expected? I have TONS of research, a publication, I am a co-founder of a local organization, I have a decent amount of volunteering. I just am so confused. I was in the lowest quartile..

Yup. I applied two years ago before starting my masters and was in the 50-75 percentile. Comparing what I put down 2 years ago to this cycle, with all the additional ways I've grown and extra initiatives I've added, I'm a little surprised to have just stayed in the same range. 

Just now, immune said:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:34 PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): ~83%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 518 (129/127/131/131)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies):

Non-traditional. Third time applicant. BSc and PhD completed. Very research focused. 16 publications, lots of competitive awards, presentations, lots of advocacy and volunteerism work, 7 lines of employment. Sucks to be rejected yet again pre-interview...my total score actually went down from last year...

We have very similar stats and my score also went down this year… even though we’re 75-100 quartile, I feel like we’re at the low end of that… I got an interview last year with the same stats :(

Regrets 8:35 PST, posting to help future applicants!

GPA: 89.93% (AGPA)

ECs: high school and university varsity sport and was captain for both teams, various club/intramural sports in off-season, one volunteer research experience, lots of other volunteering roles with two of them being involved with disadvantaged populations, member of various university clubs, some sport and academic awards, lots of work in the service industry and some marketing roles, one national medal in sport

NAQ: 25-50 range, I know I'm definitely lacking in research but thought I was pretty well-rounded otherwise - sigh

MCAT: met cutoffs

Geography: OOP

Sad but expected since yesterday, hopefully I will have more luck with OMSAS!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:34 PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 93.2
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 518 (131/126/130/131)
Geography (i.e. IP or OOP): OOP

RA 2 yrs, 1 poster. Student affairs volunteering and work 3 yrs. Varsity athlete and competed in national championships. High school volunteering +500hrs. Play instrument and in university band. Probably need to diversify a little to be honest, most of these are high commitment and took too much time. 

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in):50th-75th

Total score 62 percentile, 1 below cutoff 63 lool

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:38am PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): AGPA ~90
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 520 (130/128/132/130)

Used the F12 thing and found out I missed an interview by ONE point (I got 62 and OOP cutoff is 63). Not sure if I should be happy or sad but an improvement from last year when I had a 5 point gap to the cut off. I hate IP preference.

Results: Regrets

90.9% GPA

Unfortunately, I was working up North all summer without service and when I came back and submitted my application, I realized my health card expired. Wasn't able to get it renewed on-time until the application deadline, so I was viewed as an OOP this cycle. I tried calling the office as many times to get an exception, but to no avail. Too bad, I was above the BC applicant cutoff so I would've gotten an interview, but not high enough for the OOP (25th-49th% NAQ). As for my extracurriculars, I have lots of research volunteer hours, volunteer at a rehab clinic, work summers at a fishing lodge, play rugby at my uni, coach track and field, am a mentor for freshman, and am a classically trained pianist. Those were my main entries, but I got some more to bulk up the application too. Even mentioned mundane things like going to the gym and water faring experience, both of which take up a lot of time.

Oh well, it's just the way it goes sometimes. Still young and got some publications lined up that will definitely give me an edge next year, but man it's going to be hard to get over this for the next week. Please don't make the same mistake I did and not renew your health card as soon as possible. Goodluck to everyone who got an interview!

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:35 PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 91.34%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 518 (128/129/129/132)

Very research focused, PhD in progress. 10 publications, lots of research funding, presentations. Most of my volunteering was research/science education related, mix of short term and long term. Have worked part time since first year undergrad in various positions. Also included some hobbies and personal life events. Grew up rurally so filled out that section, but it wasn't a strong connection.

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 25th-49th

Didn't expect to get an interview as OOP, but thought I had a chance. Was below even the BC cutoff

Just now, justhoping said:

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:38am PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): AGPA ~90
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 520 (130/128/132/130)

Used the F12 thing and found out I missed an interview by ONE point (I got 62 and OOP cutoff is 63). Not sure if I should be happy or sad but an improvement from last year when I had a 5 point gap to the cut off. I hate IP preference.

This is really a handshake moment

2 minutes ago, NoMedulla said:

MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 518 (131/126/130/131)

RA 2 yrs, 1 poster. Student affairs volunteering and work 3 yrs. Varsity athlete and competed in national championships. High school volunteering +500hrs. Play instrument and in university band. Probably need to diversify a little to be honest, most of these are high commitment and took too much time. 

I also got 62 and feel your pain. Wishing you luck for any other schools you applied to.

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:38 PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 85%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 510 (126/127/127/130)

BSc. from UBC. Current on-call mental health worker and full-time mental health program assistant with VCH. Most activities in the hundreds of hours - president or vice-president positions in various clubs (900+ hours over 4 years). One research presentation. Founded my own anti-bullying program and did social media management for mental health non-profits (1500+ hours). Competitive music since 2003, worship teams at church (1200+ hours), martial arts, current board member of a cancer foundation, peer supporter at a shelter, etc... 

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 75th-100th (same as past two previous years)

Total Score: 52 (cutoff 53)... same as last year. I don't know what else to do. Probably will go back to school.

22 minutes ago, NoMedulla said:

Am I reading this correctly...? 93.2% average and 75-100% tile NAQ and it still wasn't enough to get an interview? My goodness...

For other people's reference in the future. Wish you all the best guys.

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 11:40 EST
Result (i.e. invite or regrets): RRRRR
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 94%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 521
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): Just the basics. Felt the categories pretty restrictive and did not have good fits for like high achievement in a human endeavour. Also i have a ton of pubs as like 3rd author in big papers, so that hurt cuz i can't put them in any of the publications. :(
NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 50 - 75.
Your Result (i.e. relative to interview cutoff): 62.... FFFFFFFF

First time applying to UBC... one mark off of the cut off... ugh. Their restrictions on their NAQ and research (1st and second author only) really hurt me but oh well... that's how it is... Wish the best for everyone else who got interview or who still have hope for other schools in the new year~

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:35 am PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 88%
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 512 (129/126/128/129)

BSc. TONS of research - over 3 years of biochemistry research and 1 year of psychology RA work. Co-founder of a local volunteer organization. Diverse volunteer work, which I guess was not as long-term as my other commitments but I thought it was decent. 1 publication, 1 research conference presentation, 3 awards. Ugh. 

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 0-25%

Im really confused at how I got such a low NAQ. I feel defeated. 

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:36 PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 87.27
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 514 (130/128/128/128)
ECs (i.e. brief rundown of Research Pubs/Presentations, Awards, Employment, and Non-Academic Activities - also Rural stuff if you want/if it applies): MSc completed. Some research (2 publications, presentation), awards, a few different volunteer, employment, lab research assistant.

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 50th-75th

Total score: 54 (one above IP cutoff)

Happy to see that I make it into the IP cut-off - Basically apply this year to UBC knowing impossible but just want to see if should move or stay.

Time Stamp (i.e. include date and time): 8:37 PST
GPA/AGPA (i.e. whichever is applicable): 85.04% 
MCAT (i.e. total score and breakdown in the order of CP/CARS/BB/PS): 519 (131/126/130/132)

Non-traditional, non native English speaker. 4 employments. 2 awards. 4 publications (2 first-author). Very few extra-curricular activities, a couple of long-term leadership/advocacy role in healthcare. 

NAQ Range (i.e. what quartile you fell in): 75th-100th (surprised that I was in this quartile)

above IP cutoff, below OOP cutoff.