Premed 101 Forums

May 6th 2022 Support Thread

@scubadancinggwow so well said. I can tell you are so grateful for the position that you are in and honestly im so happy for you. I truly wish you all the best. As for me, it is my very first interview as well but after 3 CYCLES of applications, so I am also extremely grateful but for a different reason ahah. Whatever the outcome is, just know you did your best and it all happens for a reason.

1 hour ago, scubadancingg said:

I am incredibly grateful to have made it even this far in the process, given this is my first cycle. Anything beyond this (such as getting waitlisted, or even an acceptance) is all completely bonus for me in my eyes, given everything I have fought through to reach this point. Previously I would have never in my life imagined I would actually have interviewed for UBC Med and even be entertaining in my head the concept of an acceptance, given my history of undiagnosed mental health concerns leading to endless number of horrible grades early in my undergrad, a very traumatic and hurtful heartbreak, as well as other personal issues concerning my family and being told by people close to me, including friends, family, teachers and mentors, that I will never get into med school.   

I know a lot of people in my social sphere that interviewed this year, and I genuinely wish them all the very best and that they receive good news this week. I am detached from whatever my outcome will be and know that I will be successful in my life no matter what I do given the incredible skill set that I have developed and the experiences I accumulated over undergrad (which is what even allowed me to interview in the first place this year given my abysmally low GPA). Again, this is also just my first cycle and I know next year I am in a good position to receive invites from EC heavy schools (with wGPA from my fifth year) when applying again, and even if next year does not work out I know that I will still be fine, and getting into medical school or not does not define who I am as a person. Rejection is redirection.

Also, there are still aspects of the medical career which I do not like, so not getting in, is low key a blessing in that regard - over time I have learnt to not put this career on a pedestal, even though I am eager for my results this Friday. Medicine is just another job, like anything else, and should not be put on a pedestal. There are many other things in life that you will enjoy just as much, maybe even more - maybe achieving all of those aspects of the medical career might require a bit of make-shift work when pursuing a different career, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, and might even suit you more (E.g. becoming a teacher and getting to work with kids, and explore your passion for teaching but volunteering with a local charity on the weekends/time off). Coming from a family of first generation immigrants and refugees, I am so lucky just to be able to live in Canada and be assured that I will live a relatively comfortable life no matter what I do (and whether I get into medicine or not), and there are far greater problems that exist for others in the world, and also for many people around me. I deeply acknowledge the high amount of privilege I have in regard to many aspects of my life, and the concept of whether I make it into UBC Med this year is just so, so trivial, given the grand scheme of things. 

Once again, I am just so grateful to be where I am at right now, and do not feel entitled to an acceptance whatsoever. Whatever the universe has in store, is ultimately for the best. Five years ago, I never imagined even one bit I would have accomplished all the things that I have until now. Given the perseverance, work ethic, and grit I have now developed,  one thing I know for sure, is that the same will happen another five years from now in 2027 - whether I am working towards becoming a practicing physician or in a different career where I am positively impacting my community, and working towards leaving a legacy and making a difference in the world. 

Thanks for this reminder! I think we all need to remember as we wait that we have so much to be grateful for, and so much to be proud of in what we have learned. Of course we hope for good news and wait anxiously to get that email, but there are so many in the world suffering through so much. I'm really grateful for the opportunities I've had. 

Was initially thinking that it'd be like the week after, but UBC surprised us all w/ their plan to release the decision before OMSAS hahaha. After being through this process a good 5 times, I think at this point I've already made peace with whatever the outcome's going to be. I wish y'all all the best and I hope good news come soon!