Premed 101 Forums

The system is broken

The reality of modern Canadian med school applications is that they have gotten so competitive that they really only caters to people from the most privileged backgrounds. That is, people who had the time to spend thousands of hours on useless and irrelevant extracurricular activities just to show some sleepy adcom that they are a “well rounded” person. Not to mention the people who have the time and money to spend on all those extra gpa boosting courses for the sole purpose of this stupid application. These activities have almost zero merit outside of applying to med.

I understand that most things in life favor the privileged, but you will be hard pressed to find any other program/profession that demands that applicants must spend such a ridiculous amount of time on activities unrelated/tangentially related to the profession. To become a software engineer, you just need to have good personal projects and show you have good coding abilities during an interview. To become a delivery driver, you just need to show you have a good driving record and demonstrate that you can lift heavy objects. Essentially, you just need to show that you will be competent at the job. But what do you need to become a doctor? You only have to spend hundreds of hours on an executive committee of some student run club, build a non-profit organization from the ground up which helps marginalized individuals, spend years volunteering at a hospital, work at a suicide prevention call center, etc. The sad thing is, there are so many people willing to grind and waste their life away on these stupid activities for the sole purpose of appeasing the adcoms. As a result, the people who do go on and become medical students are some of the most boring and soulless people I've ever met. The system is broken.

Best solution would be to increase medical school spots which I believe is happening soon.

McMaster has a unique idea, which is to not look at ECs at all, but I also think this is nice to have at a few schools but shouldn't be widely implemented. The one good thing about some of these ECs is they give you experience working with disadvantaged people, which can be helpful. Without positively evaluating work with disadvantaged groups, medical schools could enroll people who may be privileged with good exam scores and GPAs that aren't really in touch with the patients they will one day serve. 

There's no perfect admissions system, but clearly theres a need for more physicians. I think med planners anticipated fewer demand for doctors because they didn't account for this generation's desire for greater work-life balance. 

On 4/11/2023 at 8:55 PM, Edict said:

Best solution would be to increase medical school spots which I believe is happening soon.

McMaster has a unique idea, which is to not look at ECs at all, but I also think this is nice to have at a few schools but shouldn't be widely implemented. The one good thing about some of these ECs is they give you experience working with disadvantaged people, which can be helpful. Without positively evaluating work with disadvantaged groups, medical schools could enroll people who may be privileged with good exam scores and GPAs that aren't really in touch with the patients they will one day serve. 

There's no perfect admissions system, but clearly theres a need for more physicians. I think med planners anticipated fewer demand for doctors because they didn't account for this generation's desire for greater work-life balance. 

-

3 hours ago, Edict said:

Increasing medical school spots would only temporarily remedy the situation but would not address the underlying issue with the application system itself, which is the thousands of hours of bullshit extracurriculars that applicants have to do (or claim to do) on their application. As I said before, this gives the economically privileged an unfair advantage. Of course working with disadvantaged people is helpful for building the experience needed to become a good doctor. Having to work hundreds of hours with disadvantaged people just show that you have more hours under your belt than other applicants turns the experience into a pointless pissing contest.

A better solution would be to significantly reduce the emphasis on extracurricular activities. Maybe along the lines of having only 25% of your application score rather than 50% and putting more emphasis should be put on the interview.

The medical school application system is what it is and if you want to play, you need to play by the rules that exist or go into another field. It is really that simple! I come from poverty, I played by the rules, I found no problem with them, I did not complain, rather, I played by the existing rules and am a surgeon today. Complaining accomplishes nothing meaningful if you are serious about seeking to enter the profession.

15 minutes ago, Bambi said:

The medical school application system is what it is and if you want to play, you need to play by the rules that exist or go into another field. It is really that simple! I come from poverty, I played by the rules, I found no problem with them, I did not complain, rather, I played by the existing rules and am a surgeon today. Complaining accomplishes nothing meaningful if you are serious about seeking to enter the profession.

Yeah, no. Complacency is also not the way. "I played by the rules and now I am a surgeon". So what? It's not about you. What have you done to improve the selection process so people after you can benefit too?

Of course, it is not about me. Attaining acceptance is a highly competitive process, there are more qualified applicants than there are seats. It is a lottery. CaRMS is also highly competitive - acceptance into medical school and into the specialty of choice, in addition to hard work and making good strategic choices involves luck as a principal ingredient. I will not bang my head against a wall and try to reinvent the system of admission, rather, I do devote time to helping others to benefit from my experience and achieve their goals of acceptance to medical school and acceptance into their choices of specialty. We each contribute to life in our own individual way. Complacency is your view to which you are entitled.     

57 minutes ago, Bambi said:

Congratulations on becoming a surgeon!

But your opinion is so poorly formed. you came from poverty and became a surgeon. That makes you an exception in a system that overwhelmingly favours the privileged and turns applications into a ridiculous pissing contest that doesn’t really determine who will become the best doctors.

Furthermore, why should people not complain about a system which is flawed? If we see a clear shortcomings, is it not our responsibility to point it out? Or do you think people should go on like sheep and just do whatever the system tells them to do? Last time I checked, Canada is a democratic society where it is encouraged to criticize those in power and effect change through the collective opinion of the public!

I am in a different field and am not aiming to get into med school but I have friends who are and I’m pretty familiar with the system. I just feel bad for people who slave away at all these application requirements and become soulless automatons for the rest of their lives.

Truth to power is good! Improving the system is even better if possible. For the French speaking medical schools, ECs play zero role in the process, so it is an even playing field in that sense; all depends upon your grades, the difficulty of the program relative to other programs, Casper and the MMI.  

46 minutes ago, Henry415 said:

Congratulations on becoming a surgeon!

But your opinion is so poorly formed. you came from poverty and became a surgeon. That makes you an exception in a system that overwhelmingly favours the privileged and turns applications into a ridiculous pissing contest that doesn’t really determine who will become the best doctors.

Furthermore, why should people not complain about a system which is flawed? If we see a clear shortcomings, is it not our responsibility to point it out? Or do you think people should go on like sheep and just do whatever the system tells them to do? Last time I checked, Canada is a democratic society where it is encouraged to criticize those in power and effect change through the collective opinion of the public!

I am in a different field and am not aiming to get into med school but I have friends who are and I’m pretty familiar with the system. I just feel bad for people who slave away at all these application requirements and become soulless automatons for the rest of their lives.

Pretty bold of you to speak about a system you haven't even participated in, especially to someone who has been a part of admissions at both the undergraduate and residency level...

Sure medical school admissions aren't perfect, but once you cut into it you realize there's not much room for improvement. I personally think we should hold the MCAT as king since it is the fairest metric possible in human society at this point short of a sorting hat.

Reality is all areas in life favor those with privilege. Medical school admissions is one of the few areas in society where there are some safety nets in place to prevent complete saturation from nepotism and people with advantages in the admission process. 

Also you mention decreasing the value of extracurriculars, but the only reason there is an increasing emphasis on them in admission process is to minimize the matriculation of these "Soulless and boring" people you mentioned.

Ultimately, should we strive to be better? Sure (but easier said then done, and to be honest the majority of people who complain about the admission process are those who did not get in for the most part).

But if anyone reading this is hoping to gain admission to medical school, they should make the most of what is available to them and "play the game", while striving to improve the process for others along the way. The issue is many people (by the end of the admission process) realize that many of these problems will persist as long the demand outweighs supply. 

37 minutes ago, Pakoon said:

Pretty bold of you to speak about a system you haven't even participated in, especially to someone who has been a part of admissions at both the undergraduate and residency level...

Sure medical school admissions aren't perfect, but once you cut into it you realize there's not much room for improvement. I personally think we should hold the MCAT as king since it is the fairest metric possible in human society at this point short of a sorting hat.

Reality is all areas in life favor those with privilege. Medical school admissions is one of the few areas in society where there are some safety nets in place to prevent complete saturation from nepotism and people with advantages in the admission process. 

Also you mention decreasing the value of extracurriculars, but the only reason there is an increasing emphasis on them in admission process is to minimize the matriculation of these "Soulless and boring" people you mentioned.

Ultimately, should we strive to be better? Sure (but easier said then done, and to be honest the majority of people who complain about the admission process are those who did not get in for the most part).

But if anyone reading this is hoping to gain admission to medical school, they should make the most of what is available to them and "play the game", while striving to improve the process for others along the way. The issue is many people (by the end of the admission process) realize that many of these problems will persist as long the demand outweighs supply. 

I actually applied to med school once and then never looked back, so I have a very good understanding of the applications system. I’m sad to see it becoming worse and worse every year.

“Not much room for improvement”, you say?? Have you not read my explanation about how it can improve? Forget about privilege for a second and consider how the application basically requires you to put in thousands of hours of extracurriculars that are either tangentially related or completely unrelated to the profession. Much more emphasis should be placed on the interview process rather than extracurricular activities. I think comparing applicants on the basis of how they answer interview questions related to the profession is a better method than comparing between applicants based on depth and breadth of extracurricular activities. They are wasting people’s precious time. It literally becomes a matter of who has the most time and energy to kill on extracurriculars?

I agree with you that more emphasis should be placed on the MCAT. It’s a joke how some schools such as UBC place little emphasis on it.

Increasing the value of extracurriculars only produces more boring and soulless people because when your life revolves around draining thousands of hours into something you aren’t necessarily passionate about to appease some adcoms, boring and soulless is exactly what you become.

Of course people who are currently hoping to get into med school should try their best to “play the game” because it’s the only one available to them. What I’m saying is that we should make the system better for future applicants.

3 hours ago, Henry415 said:

I actually applied to med school once and then never looked back, so I have a very good understanding of the applications system. I’m sad to see it becoming worse and worse every year.

You applied and didn't get in, this does not give you a very good understanding of the applications system. Serving on admissions gives you a very good understanding of admissions. 

“Not much room for improvement”, you say?? Have you not read my explanation about how it can improve? Forget about privilege for a second and consider how the application basically requires you to put in thousands of hours of extracurriculars that are either tangentially related or completely unrelated to the profession. Much more emphasis should be placed on the interview process rather than extracurricular activities. I think comparing applicants on the basis of how they answer interview questions related to the profession is a better method than comparing between applicants based on depth and breadth of extracurricular activities. They are wasting people’s precious time. It literally becomes a matter of who has the most time and energy to kill on extracurriculars?

I can tell you that this is objectively not true. I served on admissions. Quality of the "extracurricular", which even includes part-time, or full-time work, matters way way more than quantity of activities. To burst your bubble, soft-skills gained in activities that you deem as tangentially related to medicine are, indeed, quite related to practicing medicine. 

I agree with you that more emphasis should be placed on the MCAT. It’s a joke how some schools such as UBC place little emphasis on it.

Now see, this is where your hypocrisy is showing. You want more emphasis placed on a standardized exam that has been systematically shown to skew results towards those with better financial backing to secure resources that will bolster their studying. 

Increasing the value of extracurriculars only produces more boring and soulless people because when your life revolves around draining thousands of hours into something you aren’t necessarily passionate about to appease some adcoms, boring and soulless is exactly what you become.

See above, again, not true. I used to think this as well before medical school, then when I saw the admissions process, I was proven wrong. Are 100% of med students fairly selected? No. But this is not exclusive to medicine, happens everywhere. 

Of course people who are currently hoping to get into med school should try their best to “play the game” because it’s the only one available to them. What I’m saying is that we should make the system better for future applicants.

Going to be blunt, this entire post sounds like you were hurt from the fact that they didn't accept you, likely from this cycle given we're right in the thick of admissions. I'm sorry you weren't selected for interview. It happens to a lot of qualified applicants, but as mentioned before, there are more qualified applicants than the number of spots. This is as true in medicine as it is in other positions. 

12 hours ago, Henry415 said:

Increasing medical school spots would only temporarily remedy the situation but would not address the underlying issue with the application system itself, which is the thousands of hours of bullshit extracurriculars that applicants have to do (or claim to do) on their application. As I said before, this gives the economically privileged an unfair advantage. Of course working with disadvantaged people is helpful for building the experience needed to become a good doctor. Having to work hundreds of hours with disadvantaged people just show that you have more hours under your belt than other applicants turns the experience into a pointless pissing contest.

A better solution would be to significantly reduce the emphasis on extracurricular activities. Maybe along the lines of having only 25% of your application score rather than 50% and putting more emphasis should be put on the interview.

I don't think theres any perfect system. Interviews are only a snapshot in time and as someone who has gone through medical school and been involved in admissions I've seen how interviews advantage those who are well spoken and are able to "perform" on the spot, whereas its less easy to demonstrate real commitment. It doesn't necessarily mean they truly hold those views. 

The biggest difference I'd argue between physicians and some other professions is that we will be put in positions of power and authority over those who do not in time-sensitive situations where we may have absolute unchecked authority. It's important we select for people who will not abuse that authority and I think the multimodal approach has its place.

I don't think any one measure is perfect and I think we are best with all. If you look at the way medical schools evaluate candidates today, they all differ so i'm not sure where the 25% vs 50% comes from. Many schools don't disclose exactly how they weigh admissions factors as well. 

Perhaps the one thing i'd change if I could would be to emphasize a more holistic look at the MCAT rather than a simple cutoff or the strong emphasis on CARS that we have in our schools today. I think there are strong candidates who have really demonstrated their abilities who get frozen out because of a lower CARS score or candidates with a strong MCAT but are weaker in one other area and also can't find a way in year after year. 

Yeah, the admission process is flawed. And it will probably get even worse. For some time now, the admission has also been a pissing contest of who is the most marginalized. Because of the widespread white guilt complex, it's becoming easier to play the race or any other marginalized card. Every school now have affirmative action seats for racialized premeds. Being of the right skin colour is basically a ticket to med school. I know several such examples in my school alone.

15 hours ago, shikimate said:

OP is still pretty green. When you get to the job searching stage they won't even tell you what criteria they are looking for. 

Sometimes the only criteria is that your long lost uncle's neighbour's friend's nephew's fiancé is friends with somebody in the department.

But at least for most jobs, the criteria they look for are directly relevant to the job itself. Tell me how it's not a waste of an applicant's time to demand that they have hundreds of hours of diverse experiences to show they are a "well rounded" person. Is the profession of medicine really require so many multi-faceted experience in practice? 

I personally think medicine is an overrated profession in Canada (and North America, to a certain extent) because of the unfounded respect people seem to give to the amount of suffer hustling required to become a doctor. It's almost as if people are impressed by the fact that someone has spend thousands of hours grinding years of their life away on some pointless extracurricular activities. Are we so pretentious in Canada to think that our doctors are so much better than in the UK, for example (where you literally get into med school straight out of high school). Last I checked, doctors do the same thing more or less in Europe.

6 minutes ago, Henry415 said:

But at least for most jobs, the criteria they look for are directly relevant to the job itself. Tell me how it's not a waste of an applicant's time to demand that they have hundreds of hours of diverse experiences to show they are a "well rounded" person. Is the profession of medicine really require so many multi-faceted experience in practice? 

I personally think medicine is an overrated profession in Canada (and North America, to a certain extent) because of the unfounded respect people seem to give to the amount of suffer hustling required to become a doctor. It's almost as if people are impressed by the fact that someone has spend thousands of hours grinding years of their life away on some pointless extracurricular activities. Are we so pretentious in Canada to think that our doctors are so much better than in the UK, for example (where you literally get into med school straight out of high school). Last I checked, doctors do the same thing more or less in Europe.

The applications don’t demand you have that experience, it’s simply an arms race. When there’s 2000+ applicants for approximately 300 spots and the top 1000+ applicants’ apps all look the same and have roughly the same MCAT score, … it’s essentially chance. There’s no difference in the real world - who gets the engineering job at Google during a downturn when there’s 100 apps for each position? Who knows, it’s a crap shoot.

And as someone with knowledge of the admissions process and having made it into medical school, residency, etc. plenty of people get in with applications who have almost none of the ‘must haves’ you’re claiming. I.e. normal people who worked through school, got real jobs, and then applied to medical school a few years later with a very average amount of extra curricular. Myself included. It’s mostly luck. 

15 hours ago, ytho said:

You applied and didn't get in, this does not give you a very good understanding of the applications system. Serving on admissions gives you a very good understanding of admissions. 

I can tell you that this is objectively not true. I served on admissions. Quality of the "extracurricular", which even includes part-time, or full-time work, matters way way more than quantity of activities. To burst your bubble, soft-skills gained in activities that you deem as tangentially related to medicine are, indeed, quite related to practicing medicine. 

Now see, this is where your hypocrisy is showing. You want more emphasis placed on a standardized exam that has been systematically shown to skew results towards those with better financial backing to secure resources that will bolster their studying. 

See above, again, not true. I used to think this as well before medical school, then when I saw the admissions process, I was proven wrong. Are 100% of med students fairly selected? No. But this is not exclusive to medicine, happens everywhere. 

Going to be blunt, this entire post sounds like you were hurt from the fact that they didn't accept you, likely from this cycle given we're right in the thick of admissions. I'm sorry you weren't selected for interview. It happens to a lot of qualified applicants, but as mentioned before, there are more qualified applicants than the number of spots. This is as true in medicine as it is in other positions. 

Funny how almost everyone who has responded to me negatively was on the admissions committee at one point in time... You guys seriously can't handle when someone criticizes a system you represent.

Of course the MCAT also favors the economically privileged. Studying for the MCAT also takes significantly less time than dedicating your life to thousands of hours of extracurricular activities across several years. Making the admission weigh the MCAT more and extracurriculars less therefore would narrow the gap between more privileged and less privileged people. Putting more emphasis on the interview process would do the same thing for the same reasons.

Please explain how it's not a waste of an applicant's time to demand that they have so many diverse experiences to show they are a "well rounded" person. Is the profession of medicine really require so many multi-faceted experience in practice? One could reasonably say that volunteering to help those who are marginalized by society develops experience needed to be a doctor because doctors interact with people from diverse backgrounds on a daily basis. I don't think it's reasonable to say that an applicant who has spent 1000 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter is more qualified than someone who has only spent 500 hours. At that point, the hours become a pissing contest about who has the most time to kill.

6 minutes ago, Henry415 said:

Funny how almost everyone who has responded to me negatively was on the admissions committee at one point in time... You guys seriously can't handle when someone criticizes a system you represent.

Of course the MCAT also favors the economically privileged. Studying for the MCAT also takes significantly less time than dedicating your life to thousands of hours of extracurricular activities across several years. Making the admission weigh the MCAT more and extracurriculars less therefore would narrow the gap between more privileged and less privileged people. Putting more emphasis on the interview process would do the same thing for the same reasons.

Please explain how it's not a waste of an applicant's time to demand that they have so many diverse experiences to show they are a "well rounded" person. Is the profession of medicine really require so many multi-faceted experience in practice? One could reasonably say that volunteering to help those who are marginalized by society develops experience needed to be a doctor because doctors interact with people from diverse backgrounds on a daily basis. I don't think it's reasonable to say that an applicant who has spent 1000 hours volunteering at a homeless shelter is more qualified than someone who has only spent 500 hours. At that point, the hours become a pissing contest on about who has the most time to kill.

It’s only a waste of your time if you’re choosing to spend it on things you don’t value. Clearly if you think you wasted your time on your extra curriculars, you didn’t really value them. Maybe that’s the attitude that came through in your application! Because you clearly don’t understand that it’s actually not as simple a numbers game as you seem to think. 

Or maybe life just sucks and your experience is no different than most people’s, since toiling away at a thankless activity (I.e. a job) to make your way in life is actually pretty standard in today’s capitalist society. 

9 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

The applications don’t demand you have that experience, it’s simply an arms race. When there’s 2000+ applicants for approximately 300 spots and the top 1000+ applicants’ apps all look the same and have roughly the same MCAT score, … it’s essentially chance. There’s no difference in the real world - who gets the engineering job at Google during a downturn when there’s 100 apps for each position? Who knows, it’s a crap shoot.

And as someone with knowledge of the admissions process and having made it into medical school, residency, etc. plenty of people get in with applications who have almost none of the ‘must haves’ you’re claiming. I.e. normal people who worked through school, got real jobs, and then applied to medical school a few years later with a very average amount of extra curricular. Myself included. It’s mostly luck. 

I agree that admissions is an arms race. My main point all along has been how I don't agree with HOW this arms race heavily favors those with more time/money/privilege. I understand that attaining any desirable job is an arms race. What I'm saying is that we should open a dialogue on how to IMPROVE the system. I'm curious to know what you think the problems with the current admissions process is and what you would do to improve it?

13 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

It’s only a waste of your time if you’re choosing to spend it on things you don’t value. Clearly if you think you wasted your time on your extra curriculars, you didn’t really value them. Maybe that’s the attitude that came through in your application! Because you clearly don’t understand that it’s actually not as simple a numbers game as you seem to think. 

Or maybe life just sucks and your experience is no different than most people’s, since toiling away at a thankless activity (I.e. a job) to make your way in life is actually pretty standard in today’s capitalist society. 

People are under the impression that my rant on this topic is rooted in some personal vendetta I have against the admissions committee. While I do admit to some personal resentment towards them, the majority of my frustration come from what I see CURRENT applicants having to going through. Your comment perfectly describes the attitude of so many med school applicants these days, many of which I know personally and are my friends: good, hardworking individuals who are getting fucked by the system into doing hundreds of hours of extracurriculars they aren't truly passionate about. 

11 minutes ago, Henry415 said:

People are under the impression that my rant on this topic is rooted in some personal vendetta I have against the admissions committee. While I do admit to some personal resentment towards them, the majority of my frustration come from what I see CURRENT applicants having to going through. Your comment perfectly describes the attitude of so many med school applicants these days, many of which I know personally and are my friends: good, hardworking individuals who are getting fucked by the system into doing hundreds of hours of extracurriculars they aren't truly passionate about. 

I think you’re missing the point of my comment. Who is telling them to do hundreds of hours of extra curriculars they aren’t passionate about and why are they choosing to do that? You’re saying this like it’s a given… but no one is making them do this, nor is it necessarily the way to get into med school!

6 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

I think you’re missing the point of my comment. Who is telling them to do hundreds of hours of extra curriculars they aren’t passionate about and why are they choosing to do that? You’re saying this like it’s a given… but no one is making them do this, nor is it necessarily the way to get into med school!

Ok. Then why don't you tell everyone what kinds of extracurriculars a premed could be passionate about AND be looked at favorably by the admissions committee? Judging by the sheer amount of posts and hundreds of hours you've spent on these forums, you clearly have a lot of time on your hands and I assume you're are more or less of an expert on the subject.

4 minutes ago, Henry415 said:

Ok. Then why don't you tell everyone what kinds of extracurriculars a premed could be passionate about AND be looked at favorably by the admissions committee?

Literally anything. That’s my point. My application was almost entirely work related, some mentoring within my career field, some farming related stuff, and a whole bunch of hobbies including playing video games, playing dungeons and dragons, playing an instrument, cooking, doing some outdoor sports and travel, and reading a lot of books on my kobo. I graduated with plenty of people who had similar types of applications, as well as people with the ‘classic’ types.

Edit: just because you have a stereotype in mind about who gets in to medical school doesn’t mean you’re right!