Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2024 -- Discussions

Carms always confusing especially for IM. My partner applied IM this year and she was very fortunate to have double digits interview invites. For her what was strong in her applications were her reference letters (as in pretty much all them were offered to her). Really long and ztodmg mrsp comments comments, cv was perhaps average or with no new research during med.

so to me (having gone through Carms and the fellowship match there is a big focus on how good of a clinician you are and will be rather the cv or extracurriculars you did. (Perhaps this comment is only valid for internal medicine and er)

For IM, anyone got interviews at both Hamilton and Waterloo sites for McMaster? Is the selection process for the two sites completely separate? 

I was lucky to get double digit interviews so I thought my app must be decently strong, so I was really surprised to get rejected from Mac Hamilton (I did a visiting elective there and got a letter which I used widely). I got an interview at Waterloo site though.. Everyone else I talked to also only got Hamilton or Waterloo, not both, but I don't know if that's just a coincidence. 

2 hours ago, attempt2 said:

People aren't posting. At least one of those specialties has already released all decisions already.

thank you sm for your answer! do you happen to know which? 

my dms are also open for anyone kind enough to share to a preclinical student their experience in derm during this carms interview invite season (who may be uncomfortable posting their experience publicly). I am only trying to understand what is going on and manage my expectations for my future application. Thank you

17 minutes ago, coriosnow said:

my dms are also open for anyone kind enough to share to a preclinical student their experience in derm during this carms interview invite season (who may be uncomfortable posting their experience publicly). I am only trying to understand what is going on and manage my expectations for my future application. Thank you

You can also try reaching out to Students Affairs at your school. They can connect you with a current applicant or previously matched applicant in the specialty of interest.

1 minute ago, abcd1288 said:

You can also try reaching out to Students Affairs at your school. They can connect you with a current applicant or previously matched applicant in the specialty of interest.

Unfortunately, I can tell you that mine does not have such a program:/ But thank you for the proposal, I am sure it does apply well to other medical students!

1 minute ago, coriosnow said:

Unfortunately, I can tell you that mine does not have such a program:/ But thank you for the proposal, I am sure it does apply well to other medical students!

IMG or CMG? I believe most Canadian med schools have a students affairs program to support through CaRMS prep and such and would have info on matching statistics.

3 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

IMG or CMG? I believe most Canadian med schools have a students affairs program to support through CaRMS prep and such and would have info on matching statistics.

CMG. I will look it up forsure. I hope you are right. However, my school does not really follow the lead of other can med schools in many aspects; so I would not be surprised if it is not the case lmao

2 hours ago, Vendar said:

Carms always confusing especially for IM. My partner applied IM this year and she was very fortunate to have double digits interview invites. For her what was strong in her applications were her reference letters (as in pretty much all them were offered to her). Really long and ztodmg mrsp comments comments, cv was perhaps average or with no new research during med.

so to me (having gone through Carms and the fellowship match there is a big focus on how good of a clinician you are and will be rather the cv or extracurriculars you did. (Perhaps this comment is only valid for internal medicine and er)

Thanks for the insight! May I ask if your partner was prolific in research prior to med school? im trying to figure out how much to improve on the research component of my CV...

I appreciate any feedback you have. 

3 minutes ago, bclady said:

Does anyone whether CARMS has any policy against emailing programs to ask if they would reconsider?

It's less of CaRMS but more of program's policy. UBC for example says they will not consider any alternative decisions and there's nothing that can be done.

3 minutes ago, abcd1288 said:

It's less of CaRMS but more of program's policy. UBC for example says they will not consider any alternative decisions and there's nothing that can be done.

Thank you. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in the contract or in the maze that is the carms website.

5 hours ago, coriosnow said:

The last derm invite came this morning.

5 hours ago, Cautiously1 Optimistic said:

Univ of Manitoba Psychiatry IMG program has not sent out updates to the interview status yet. Neither rejected, accepted or waitlisted. It is blank. The deadline has passed as well now. 

Very peculiar. Wondering if anyone has any inputs on this? Any precedents to something similar in  the  past?

also for FM prog ! Same situation!

On 1/5/2024 at 7:23 AM, Bobby4949 said:

Anyone have a sense of what a good number of interviews is to match in anesthesia? I applied to 11 programs and have 5 interviews. 

Same with Emergency medicine. I’ve got 5/9. Which I’m excited about but still don’t feel safe… do we ever feel safe haha.

if the match rate is like 60% there’s still a good chance I go unmatched right? 

9 hours ago, nicedoctor said:
14 hours ago, Cautiously1 Optimistic said:

Univ of Manitoba Psychiatry IMG program has not sent out updates to the interview status yet. Neither rejected, accepted or waitlisted. It is blank. The deadline has passed as well now. 

Very peculiar. Wondering if anyone has any inputs on this? Any precedents to something similar in  the  past?

also for FM prog ! Same situation! 

U of Manitoba FM IMG- rejection came for my friend on Friday morning. But I have not heard of any IMG applicant to Manitoba, who had their application status updated yet.

6 hours ago, Cautiously1 Optimistic said:

Happened to me on a program I was applying for then received an R in the evening 1 day before Jan 5th. I'm assuming that means ur file was waitlisted, but they didn't update it on the CaRMS portal.

On 1/5/2024 at 9:04 PM, Whattodoo said:

Thanks for the insight! May I ask if your partner was prolific in research prior to med school? im trying to figure out how much to improve on the research component of my CV...

I appreciate any feedback you have. 

Involved in 1 lab, 1 pub, not first author. But involved in the lab for 2-3 years 

On 1/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, capoo said:

Not even one single Quebec IM interview... wow, including home school where I had fairly good evals and strong reference letters. 

Well that sorta checks out the whole IM/FM debate I've been having since forever. And honestly, I have serious doubts about being able to match nonrural FM if I'm not even able to get a single non-FM interview in Quebec...

IM programs within Quebec French schools have been having a hard time with their interviewing strategy.
In the last two years, they invited less candidate and overestimated how many would rank them higher.
In 2022, UdeM had 7 empty spots after the first round while ULaval had 11 empty spots in 2023.
If I was applying to IM aiming for Quebec schools, I would be tempted to not rank anything else since there is a high probability that positions will be made available after the first iteration of the match.

See here :

Unfilled positions after the first iteration of the 2022 R-1 Main Residency Match :

image.thumb.png.dfef6db2a8272115f151960bfda4cc8b.png

https://www.carms.ca/news/unfilled-positions-after-the-first-iteration-of-the-2022-r-1-match/

Unfilled positions after the first iteration of the 2023 R-1 Main Residency Match :

image.thumb.png.418ac224bdcfd4b3b7ecb0d96b068e53.png

https://www.carms.ca/news/unfilled-positions-after-the-first-iteration-of-the-2023-r-1-match/

For those who may have paralleled with internal, how are you going about booking the days tomorrow?

For instance two of the internal programs I got invites to all have interview dates coinciding with interviews for a different specialty. I don't have the details for when the times of the interviews for that speciality are so I am assuming they can occur anytime in that whole day. Should I wait till I hear back from the other speciality before booking IM dates tomorrow or should I just book it tomorrow and focus on moving things around when I hear back from others? :wacko: