Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2024 -- Discussions

2 hours ago, Trunkate said:

I think so. UBCs rejection letter said they had 185 apps for 20 spots. Only 114 CMG spots in total. I've heard back from 7 schools so far, rejected from 4. Just got the rejection from UofT which was gonna be my top choice for family reasons. Its tough not to feel disheartened but I'm trying to keep my head up. Good luck with the rest of interviews!

It's always tough not to get an interview at your top choice, but you still have a great chance at matching with the interviews you've gotten! 

Based on these numbers, seems like another competitive year for anesthesia but slightly better than last year where UBC got slightly above 200 apps and total CMG spots was 104. 

Not even one single Quebec IM interview... wow, including home school where I had fairly good evals and strong reference letters. 

Well that sorta checks out the whole IM/FM debate I've been having since forever. And honestly, I have serious doubts about being able to match nonrural FM if I'm not even able to get a single non-FM interview in Quebec...

3 hours ago, Bobby4949 said:

Anyone have a sense of what a good number of interviews is to match in anesthesia? I applied to 11 programs and have 5 interviews. 

That's a decent number of interviews you received. I also applied to 11 programs across canada, but unfortunately only received 1 interview. That would be my only shot. 

Getting destroyed by IM rejections. Thought I had a decent app with really solid personal and reference letters so I'm a little confused. I do lack research and I'm not a typical IM "gunner" which may be partly explaining this as I've heard from others with similar apps to mine that they've been receiving a similar # of rejections. Still quite confusing and discouraging as it's really affecting my perception of how good a student/candidate I really am. 

30 minutes ago, FaithPG said:

That's a decent number of interviews you received. I also applied to 11 programs across canada, but unfortunately only received 1 interview. That would be my only shot. 

Don't lose hope! It only takes 1 to match! But I would also encourage you to reach out to your medical school if you did not apply to any other specialty to prepare for all possible results.

42 minutes ago, HelloGoodbye said:

Getting destroyed by IM rejections. Thought I had a decent app with really solid personal and reference letters so I'm a little confused. I do lack research and I'm not a typical IM "gunner" which may be partly explaining this as I've heard from others with similar apps to mine that they've been receiving a similar # of rejections. Still quite confusing and discouraging as it's really affecting my perception of how good a student/candidate I really am. 

Also in the same boat!! Seeing all those rejections was really hard. I think it was quite a competitive year for IM :( 

38 minutes ago, MD_endgame said:

Also in the same boat!! Seeing all those rejections was really hard. I think it was quite a competitive year for IM :( 

I also feel like it's a competitive year for IM. Got way more rejections than I was expecting, even though I had done mostly IM electives (only two family, the rest IM) and had good references, research etc :(. I would be happy with 6 but they are mostly not in Ontario 

30 minutes ago, Sunnysideup_1 said:

I also feel like it's a competitive year for IM. Got way more rejections than I was expecting, even though I had done mostly IM electives (only two family, the rest IM) and had good references, research etc :(. I would be happy with 6 but they are mostly not in Ontario 

Same, I got exactly one Ontario interview even though my home school is here with my three other invites being elsewhere. Meanwhile, got invites at all the Ontario FM programs I applied to even though my app from IM was much stronger than family. Didn't think there was this much of a gap between the two disciplines in terms of competitiveness. 

15 minutes ago, HelloGoodbye said:

Same, I got exactly one Ontario interview even though my home school is here with my three other invites being elsewhere. Meanwhile, got invites at all the Ontario FM programs I applied to even though my app from IM was much stronger than family. Didn't think there was this much of a gap between the two disciplines in terms of competitiveness. 

47 minutes ago, Sunnysideup_1 said:

1 hour ago, MD_endgame said:

Also got absolutely destroyed on my IM applications. Thought I had a pretty decent one. Maybe my ECs were a bit weak, but I was made to believe my references were extremely, extremely strong. Hoped that would've made up for it. Guess I thought a bit too highly of myself.

Didn't even get a home school waitlist, even though it typically interviews 50-75% each year.

Bummer.

Similar thing happened last year where a lot of people got way fewer IM interviews than expected and everyone thought it had been a competitive year but then stats came out and it was like a 1.0 ratio. Really hard to explain why some ppl seem to get shafted, it seems like past 2 years its been feast or famine. All it takes is one interview tho 

3 hours ago, capoo said:

Not even one single Quebec IM interview... wow.

Well that sorta checks out the whole IM/FM debate I've been having since forever. And honestly, I have serious doubts about matching nonrural FM if I'm not even getting a single non-FM interview in Quebec...

Wow I am so sorry to hear this :( , Is IM your first choice or was it a back up for another specialty?

13 minutes ago, TopChef said:

Wow I am so sorry to hear this :( , Is IM your first choice or was it a back up for another specialty?

First choice! Heck, I was even debating going all in for IM this cycle, but I'm glad I listened to my gut feeling and decided to back up with FM (and psych, which also didn't work out).

Also an Ontario student with only 1 IM interview from Ontario which wasn't my home school and then rest out of province. 

I regret not backing up with FM now just because I was really hoping to be near family. I've heard if you don't match some home schools will "make" an FM spot for you. Anyone know if this is true/know anyone who experienced this?

5 minutes ago, Anon1 said:

What is the exact deadline for programs to update interview offers on CaRMS today? The website says "by end of day" - does this mean 5pm EST? 5pm AST? 11:59pm PST? Lol

Could be very late. Got my R from one of the programs I was WL'ed at 10.30 PM last night  :(

2 minutes ago, an90000 said:

Do programs also have to tell people that were waitlisted whether they got rejected by today? 

Not sure tbh, because technically WL is also an "interview offer status" so they may or may not have to update you by the end of today either. (This is speculation, take it with a YUGE grain of salt)

1 hour ago, abcd1288 said:

Not sure tbh, because technically WL is also an "interview offer status" so they may or may not have to update you by the end of today either. (This is speculation, take it with a YUGE grain of salt)

According to the CaRMS website, programs typically answer before the beginning of the interview period (15th January). Some programs that did communicate with me to schedule an interview date asked to answer before the 8th / 10th so they could offer my spot to another candidate if I declined the interview. So to answer the question, they do not have to update your status today.