Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2024 -- Discussions

It is disappointing that Alberta IM did not follow what was outlined by all IM programs - to release invites on January 5th. This will just make people more anxious as now they may think other schools may send offers or rejects earlier. Anyways good luck to everyone this cycle :)

"Interview offers will be uploaded to CaRMS Viewing access only on Friday January 5, 2024 " - As per their CaRMS description 

12 hours ago, Vendar said:

It is disappointing that Alberta IM did not follow what was outlined by all IM programs - to release invites on January 5th. This will just make people more anxious as now they may think other schools may send offers or rejects earlier. Anyways good luck to everyone this cycle :)

"Interview offers will be uploaded to CaRMS Viewing access only on Friday January 5, 2024 " - As per their CaRMS description 

I believe what they meant was that the status will be updated on carms on that day, for everyone. But those who get the interview offer will contact them earlier. Even though it might not be shown on their account. 

12 minutes ago, AnonymousTree said:

Thought we'd see a lot of interview invites today before the holidays

From the program’s side - the delay of receiving applications was one weekend less to review applications, and the holidays are coming up, which usually are busy with clinical work on a skeleton crew. It seems the Carms timeline this year is pretty tight. They will come in time!

5 hours ago, Hope2024GoodLuck said:

I applied anesthesia and internal this year, but so far has been unlucky. I got 3 rejections from Alberta, UBC and Dal, and I am worried I may not get any offers this year. this is so stressful, and i dont know what else i can do to make a difference

Sorry to hear that this has been a stressful process. Try to keep your head up - most interview invites for those programs haven't even been released yet so you still have a lot of chances. You've done all that you can at this point, so don't be hard on yourself.

I am also applying to internal this year and applied broadly, and was surprised to get rejected by Alberta as I had done an elective there as well and had connections in the area. Talking to 5-6 students at my school it seemed everyone was rejected as well. Idk what this bodes for the IM match this year, I had assumed UofA wouldn’t be as competitive as some of the big programs or Ontario programs…

2 hours ago, Carms2024sl said:

I am also applying to internal this year and applied broadly, and was surprised to get rejected by Alberta as I had done an elective there as well and had connections in the area. Talking to 5-6 students at my school it seemed everyone was rejected as well. Idk what this bodes for the IM match this year, I had assumed UofA wouldn’t be as competitive as some of the big programs or Ontario programs…

Similar thing happened last year around interview time with IM and ppl thought the stats were gonna be crazy but it turned out to be a pretty average year for IM. CaRMs is just weird and it's almost pointless to try and figure out the logic why some schools send invites and some don't. I will say anecdotally it does seem like the ppl that backed up with IM got burned the most.

22 hours ago, RagnarOdinson said:

Similar thing happened last year around interview time with IM and ppl thought the stats were gonna be crazy but it turned out to be a pretty average year for IM. CaRMs is just weird and it's almost pointless to try and figure out the logic why some schools send invites and some don't. I will say anecdotally it does seem like the ppl that backed up with IM got burned the most.

I think a lot of people are leaving family medicine though. And those people need to go somewhere 

2 hours ago, hero147 said:

I think a lot of people are leaving family medicine though. And those people need to go somewhere 

Last year the trend continued of ppl leaving FM and was lowest it had been in years )maybe ever? idk off the top of my head), and yet IM actually went down in competitiveness compared to the previous year, so that argument doesn't seem to be bearing out. 

Hi all - qq

i was surprised that I did not get my home school CARMs interview. Talked to a couple classmates who applied the same program, they all received home school interview except me. 

Not sure how often this happens in the past, but I am now quite worried about my chances of getting interview from other schools? 

any insights would be appreciated

6 hours ago, Hope1108 said:

Hi all - qq

i was surprised that I did not get my home school CARMs interview. Talked to a couple classmates who applied the same program, they all received home school interview except me. 

Not sure how often this happens in the past, but I am now quite worried about my chances of getting interview from other schools? 

Sorry to hear this. 

Unfortunately there is really no way to know why you did not receive an invite. While there is often an advantage, getting a home school invite isn't a guarantee. 

Hoping you have some better luck with remaining schools. 

7 hours ago, Hope1108 said:

Hi all - qq

Sorry to hear this, it is always a tough blow to not get an offer from your home school but keep your head up! You're still in the game and have a chance at other schools. I had several classmates who experienced this with different programs (peds, IM, and anes) and all got interviews at other schools and ended up matching in the first round. 

I wish you luck for your match! 

7 hours ago, Hope1108 said:

Hi all - qq

Sorry to hear. Specialty dependant but broadly speaking possible reasons can include being uncompetitive across whatever criteria they look at (MSPR, undergrad GPA, ref letters, research, CV, etc) or flags (by residents, staff, etc). Unfortunately impossible to tell without knowing someone who has reviewed your stuff. 

11 hours ago, Hope1108 said:

Hi all - qq

Sorry to hear this.

At this point, I feel there is no harm in emailing the PD and the program for feedback if they can.

I know of a few people who had Xs for home schools. They talked to the PD and their referees and got an interview after an initial rejection. These are rare cases, but they do happen. 

22 hours ago, Vendar said:

Sorry to hear this.

At this point, I feel there is no harm in emailing the PD and the program for feedback if they can.

I know of a few people who had Xs for home schools. They talked to the PD and their referees and got an interview after an initial rejection. These are rare cases, but they do happen. 

Thanks @Vendar - I will give it a shot. So far not much luck getting interviews

How do you all take a rejection well?  I have been fortunate to get 4 interviews (to a relatively competitive specialty)  but got rejected to my first choice, and honestly, it's been ruining my holidays. I don't really care anymore about the other 4 and am not interested in the other ones I'm waiting on. I just can't get over this R. Hitting me harder than the med school Rs I got, since its like, was this all worth it? Also don't have a big support system to help me through this one.  My med school friends and I are mostly applying to different specialties. I have told a few friends but they are all like but you got 4 other interviews. And my family don't really understand carms. I know i need to get over this and soon with interviews coming up but not sure how to. 

25 minutes ago, applicant99 said:

How do you all take a rejection well?  I have been fortunate to get 4 interviews (to a relatively competitive specialty)  but got rejected to my first choice, and honestly, it's been ruining my holidays. I don't really care anymore about the other 4 and am not interested in the other ones I'm waiting on. I just can't get over this R. Hitting me harder than the med school Rs I got, since its like, was this all worth it? Also don't have a big support system to help me through this one.  My med school friends and I are mostly applying to different specialties. I have told a few friends but they are all like but you got 4 other interviews. And my family don't really understand carms. I know i need to get over this and soon with interviews coming up but not sure how to. 

just think about me getting 3 rejections so far including my top choice. 0 interviews, and it’s been so hard on me for the past week. 

19 minutes ago, Hope1108 said:

just think about me getting 3 rejections so far including my top choice. 0 interviews, and it’s been so hard on me for the past week. 

So sorry to hear this. If you want an outlet to talk feel free to DM me. 

This whole process is soul-sucking. I definitely know how fortunate I am to have the interviews I have. Have been trying hard not to be sad when talking to my med school friends, though they mostly have all got their top choices or haven't heard back yet.  But I guess Im having a hard time letting go of what my dream was and also conflicted since I feel like I can't be sad about the rejection I did get since I did get interview offers.  Idk  how to reframe my mind to be excited for the interviews I do have to since like I don't want to mess those up.