Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2024 -- Discussions

12 minutes ago, wannabdoctor said:

For those who may have paralleled with internal, how are you going about booking the days tomorrow?

For instance two of the internal programs I got invites to all have interview dates coinciding with interviews for a different specialty. I don't have the details for when the times of the interviews for that speciality are so I am assuming they can occur anytime in that whole day. Should I wait till I hear back from the other speciality before booking IM dates tomorrow or should I just book it tomorrow and focus on moving things around when I hear back from others? :wacko:

Personally I will be doing the latter and just ask for accommodation from the other programs later.

10 hours ago, MDanon123 said:

Do medical residency interviews typically include questions that assess applicants' medical knowledge, or are they primarily focused on non-academic qualities and experiences?

I believe it depends on the speciality! I have heard some IM programs give cases to work through in interviews (mostly to assess if you have a good approach and can practice safely). Not sure about others

11 hours ago, MDanon123 said:

Do medical residency interviews typically include questions that assess applicants' medical knowledge, or are they primarily focused on non-academic qualities and experiences?

Depending on the program, how competitive it is and the structure of the interview.
Some are known for it such as : radiology (read images), surgery (anatomy), psych (legal aspects).
I do not believe medical knowledge will make your interview.

On 1/8/2024 at 10:49 PM, MDanon123 said:

Certain ER schools do assess your knowledge and safety for sure - triage scenarios, ecg,x-ray, and legal cases have all been asked

On 1/11/2024 at 4:23 PM, abcd1288 said:

I'm guessing tomorrow is the deadline to hear back on the WL decision, probably an R but here's to being hopeful

I wonder if there is an actual deadline. Couldn't they technically just keep people on the waitlist up until the day before interviews in case there is some late cancellation? 

1 hour ago, an90000 said:

I wonder if there is an actual deadline. Couldn't they technically just keep people on the waitlist up until the day before interviews in case there is some late cancellation? 

Fair point, they could do that. But for a small competitive specialty, I can't imagine people declining offers.

1) How far down the rank list do moderately competitive surgical programs (orthopedic surgery, general surgery) usually go before their spots fill up? 

2) What's the weightage of pre-interview scores vs interview performance for these?

I am not sure if I am missing anything in the maze of program descriptions on carms 

23 hours ago, JustTrynaMatch said:

1) How far down the rank list do moderately competitive surgical programs (orthopedic surgery, general surgery) usually go before their spots fill up? 

2) What's the weightage of pre-interview scores vs interview performance for these?

I am not sure if I am missing anything in the maze of program descriptions on carms 

There isn't any public data for 1 breaking it down by specialty, and 2 will differ for every program and probably be confidential unless in the CaRMS program descriptions.

7 hours ago, desserts said:

Is it just me or are the interviews kinda short? Not sure if they just don't like me or if this is the norm lol 

Some of the ones I've had are definitely on the shorter side (30 minutes total), which is really only enough time for maybe 6 questions max.

But I also have a few MMIs that would go one for 1-2 hours.

But all of these times are structured and pre-specified though so I don't think that reflects on you. 

I'm more just curious about how the shorter interviews would actually inform candidate rankings after.