Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

You should get a

My stats are as follows:

Third year

Canadian GPA: 3.93 (4.00 with six lowest marks dropped; same wGPA for Ottawa)

MCAT: 14/8/15 

Strong ECs (working with special needs children, French summer camp, mental health and elderly in-house visitations, provincial public health services)

Strong Research (wet laboratory work which will lead to publications eventually, systematic review submitted, working in pediatric plastic surgery)

Poor to Mediocre awards (only a research scholarship and a university entrance scholarship)

I was wondering if it was worth rewriting my MCAT with an 8VR. I applied to Mac and Ottawa this year and I felt like my CASPer went really well (wrote a lot for every answer, happy with what I wrote, most of the situations were familiar, evaluated all possible perspectives in my answers, I never got stuck, etc).

Your VR is going to hold you back for Mac, an 8 in VR has rarely been accepted. Last year 4 people were accepted with VR between 6-8 so chances are very low but seeing how your GPA is high and you say that your CASPer was well, you may have a shot. 

You will get an invite to Ottawa for sure. I almost see no reason why you wouldn't if you have a 4.0 GPA and strong EC's.

I really need an honest opinion about my chances anywhere in Canada. (I have not written the MCAT yet but I am more concerned about my cGPA).

My cGPA is horrible due to my first two years (I completed my degree in 5 years total).

My cGPA is 3.3 ish.

My final three years are 3.9.

As for my extracurriculars:

I have worked in many labs for the past 5 years. I am published three times in Pubmed, presented at 9 medical conferences (oral presentations) and 6 were international. I have also done clinical work outside CA. -- all during my undergrad.

I also have a drug patented under my name (along with my lab mates) for one of the published research projects. 

As for my volunteering: I began my own charity project dealing with medical clinics in third world countries. Translator between a clinical psychologist and a patient.

Awards: Dean's honor list 3 times. 

I'm very worried about my cGPA. I'm not sure what to do. Should I do more years to bump it up? any advice would be helpful.

I really need an honest opinion about my chances anywhere in Canada. (I have not written the MCAT yet but I am more concerned about my cGPA).

My cGPA is horrible due to my first two years (I completed my degree in 5 years total).

My cGPA is 3.3 ish.

I have worked in many labs for the past 5 years. I am published three times in Pubmed, presented at 9 medical conferences (oral presentations) and 6 were international. I have also done clinical work outside CA. -- all during my undergrad.

I also have a drug patented under my name (along with my lab mates) for one of the published research projects. 

As for my volunteering: I began my own charity project dealing with medical clinics in third world countries. Translator between a clinical psychologist and a patient.

I'm very worried about my cGPA. I'm not sure what to do. Should I do more years to bump it up? any advice would be helpful.

cGPA is only used for McMAster and McGill. Every other med school will at least drop some credits depending on whether you meet eligibility or not. Dean's honour list is not much of a prestigous award, but your EC's still seem stellar.

Forget about McMaster and McGill but definitely apply to other schools.

My cGPA is 3.3 ish.

Write MCAT. Get VR 11 BS 12. Apply UWO, Queen's, and U of T.

Within your three years at 3.9, are two of those years consistent with Western's policy? Meaning, did you take 3/5 courses at the 300+ level in both of those years? If so, you qualify for Western and, because you are SWOMEN, my understanding is that you would have an excellent chance.

In case you weren't aware, Western will look at your 2 best undergraduate years that meet their policy.

Do reasonably well on your MCAT and you should be definitely get an interview. For MCAT you would need a minimum of 8 in each section, and a minimum 32 overall. How it works for the new MCAT remains to be seen.

Within your three years at 3.9, are two of those years consistent with Western's policy? Meaning, did you take 3/5 courses at the 300+ level in both of those years? If so, you qualify for Western and, because you are SWOMEN, my understanding is that you would have an excellent chance.

In case you weren't aware, Western will look at your 2 best undergraduate years that meet their policy.

Do reasonably well on your MCAT and you should be definitely get an interview. For MCAT you would need a minimum of 8 in each section, and a minimum 32 overall. How it works for the new MCAT remains to be seen.

Actually, my final year (5th) is all 4000 level courses. My fourth year only has 2.5 of the 3 required credits in the 3000/4000 level. 

So I don't qualify. I called yesterday and she suggested coming back and doing a "special year". That might work in my benefit anyways. I can bring up my cGPA a bit. 

I don't think you will be able to bring your cGPA up by too much. Even with a 4.0 GPA you can only make your cGPA 3.40ish which isn't good enough to be honest.

On the bright side, With an extra year you will be able to apply to western and you will definitely be able to improve your wGPA for ottawa

Also, If you had full courseload (30 credits) every year you will be able to drop 4 full year equivalent credits for UofT. So you may be able to apply there as well. Don't count on McMaster though.

Hey everyone, I'm looking for an honest opinion about my chances in Ontario.

MCAT:  10/11/10 (BS/VR/PS)

Overall GPA:  3.64

EC's:  volunteer in E.R. department at local hospital since September 2011, competitive runner (2:34 marathoner)/varsity cross country runner for Western for 4 years, 1 year varsity indoor track runner for Western, 1 summer shadowing at physio clinic, started my own online coaching company (runstrongcoaching.com....this isn't on application, though).

I've been accepted in Australia for med school and have to decide very soon whether or not to take my chances in Ontario (for physio as well, as I was accepted at UBC for physio, then declined after my acceptance at Queensland for med school).

I've applied to Toronto, Western, Mac and Queens.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Hey everyone, I'm looking for an honest opinion about my chances in Ontario.

MCAT: 10/11/10 (BS/VR/PS)

Overall GPA: 3.64

EC's: volunteer in E.R. department at local hospital since September 2011, competitive runner (2:34 marathoner)/varsity cross country runner for Western for 4 years, 1 year varsity indoor track runner for Western, 1 summer shadowing at physio clinic, started my own online coaching company (runstrongcoaching.com....this isn't on application, though).

I've been accepted in Australia for med school and have to decide very soon whether or not to take my chances in Ontario (for physio as well, as I was accepted at UBC for physio, then declined after my acceptance at Queensland for med school).

I've applied to Toronto, Western, Mac and Queens.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please disclose your wGPA for each school or your GPA in each year of your undergrad study so we can better judge your chances. An overall GPA is meaningless for Western, Queens, and UofT if you had full courseload every year.

For McMaster, your chances are quite low due to your below average cGPA. Your VR is competitive, however, you must do very well on CASPer for a good chance.

I don't think you will be able to bring your cGPA up by too much. Even with a 4.0 GPA you can only make your cGPA 3.40ish which isn't good enough to be honest.

On the bright side, With an extra year you will be able to apply to western and you will definitely be able to improve your wGPA for ottawa

Also, If you had full courseload (30 credits) every year you will be able to drop 4 full year equivalent credits for UofT. So you may be able to apply there as well. Don't count on McMaster though.

Thanks for the input!

Ottawa doesn't consider "special year". They only consider the years leading up to an undergraduate degree. 

1st year GPA: 3.48

2nd year: 3.72

3rd year: 3.62

4th year: 3.43

5th year: 3.98

3rd and 4th year was at Ivey, the business school.

Came back for 5th year, overloaded and finished my H. Kin. degree.

Your Queen's 2YGPA is 3.85 which is good enough to meet cut offs. Your MCAT might be okay. Queen's does not disclose their MCAT cut offs but according to Premed101, last year's MCAT cut off was 33. This cut off changes usually year by year So don't be too concerned. Your EC's seem decent as well. Overall, I would say you have a decent chance and should apply to Queen's.

Western has quite high MCAT cut offs, you will be okay for GPA cut offs IF you meet the 3/5 rule (you must have had 5 full year equivalent courses in at least 2 years, and 3 of 5 must have been at the level of the year)

The MCAT cut off last year was 12/11/9. However, this cut off also changes every year, i wouldn't be surprised if it becomes 10/11/10 so definitely apply.

UofT, if you meet eligibility for weighted GPA; apply. This year's GPA average is 3.94! So if your wGPA is way below that dont count on it.

No chance for ottawa. They are very GPA heavy (3.95 wGPA average). If your GPA is below 3.85 I don't think its worth applying to Ottawa

EDIT: to be 100% honest with you, I would say that your chances are not very good except maybe for Queen's and Western, but queen's is a total mystery sometimes anyway. people with amazing stats get rejected pre interview, and on the other hand someone with lower stats but a "saved kids in Africa" EC gets them in. You have already secured your acceptance at an Australian medical school, so I wouldn't turn away from that unless I was at least sure I had a good chance for a couple of schools.

Hello all, thanks for posting such good info in these forums. Thought I'd post here to get a sense of my chances!

I graduated from engineering last year, have been working, and recently decided on a career switch. I'll be writing the MCAT in the summer of 2015 and applying for 2016.

GPA:

1st year (40 credit units): 3.10

2nd year (44 credit units): 3.15

3rd year (40 credit units): 3.55

4th year (39 credit units): 3.75

I have leadership experience, but it's maybe been a bit weak in the past couple years. I have athletic achievements, also from several years ago. I have a decent amount of work experience, from the Co-op program and from my current job.

On paper my odds don't look good. But do many schools take the course load into consideration? I think U of C does, and I think my odds are best there (Alberta resident). And anyone have any suggestions as to what the best thing for me to do is after I write the MCAT? I was considering going back to work (engineering), but I'm also considering starting a masters to increase my research exposure or to boost my GPA.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

40 credits? Wow that is tough. I would say that you may have a chance at calgary since they will drop your lowest year. You would still have a low GPA but UofC values EC's and VR11 highly as well.

UofC also has a 10% subjective assessment where they consider trends in grades, courseload, and other miscellaneous stuff about applicants. It is completely subjective, however, so no one knows how exactly it is scored. Nonetheless, with your tremendous amount of workload each year and upward trend in grades, I would say it would only help for at least that part of the evaluation.

You need to work on your EC's! 60% of selection for interview is based off your top 10 non-cognitive attributes (EC's). Also if you could have one year with a 3.9-4.0 it would help a lot with your wGPA so maybe take an extra year or do Masters.

With all of that said, I also need to truthfully tell you that you do not have a realistic chance for any other medical school (including UofA) with your current GPA

Hi there I am just wondering what my chances are, any input would be awesome.

GPA after two years in BScN degree: 3.75 GPA

-Year One: 3.5

-Year Two: 4.0

MCAT: VR 10

EC: youth council chair 4 yrs, community initiatives, lots of work with the aboriginal community organizations.

Note: I plan on applying under the aboriginal streams at uottawa and mcmaster

Wondering my chances for an interview at Ottawa:

living in toronto

Currently 2nd yr MSc

wGPA: 3.91

ECs: research for 5 yrs as undergrad in 2 labs, hospital volunteer 2yrs, senior home 1 year, community outreach stuff 1 year, couple of executive positions in clubs, physician shadowing, 3 pubs none first author

40 credits? Wow that is tough. I would say that you may have a chance at calgary since they will drop your lowest year. You would still have a low GPA but UofC values EC's and VR11 highly as well.

UofC also has a 10% subjective assessment where they consider trends in grades, courseload, and other miscellaneous stuff about applicants. It is completely subjective, however, so no one knows how exactly it is scored. Nonetheless, with your tremendous amount of workload each year and upward trend in grades, I would say it would only help for at least that part of the evaluation.

You need to work on your EC's! 60% of selection for interview is based off your top 10 non-cognitive attributes (EC's). Also if you could have one year with a 3.9-4.0 it would help a lot with your wGPA so maybe take an extra year or do Masters.

With all of that said, I also need to truthfully tell you that you do not have a realistic chance for any other medical school (including UofA) with your current GPA

Thanks for the response Shervin, I appreciate your honesty! Will have to plan out the next year or so carefully.

Like everyone else, just wondering about my chances!

Applied only to Ottawa U this year, as my science courses are in progress and want to hold off on the MCAT until I am finished.

WGPA: 3.92-3.93 (it's 3.928 - so maybe rounded to 3,93??)

ECs, fairly strong I think: working as Clinical public health nurse for nearly 4 years, Clinical research assistant x 2 years, nursing instructor x 2 years, awards for community building/leadership/research, president of student health and wellness club, therapy dog trainer/volunteer, recreation volunteer with older adults living with dementia, poster presentations/published abstract etc...

Thanks for your opinions! So anxious for January 31!

Like everyone else, just wondering about my chances!

Applied only to Ottawa U this year, as my science courses are in progress and want to hold off on the MCAT until I am finished.

WGPA: 3.92-3.93 (it's 3.928 - so maybe rounded to 3,93??)

ECs, fairly strong I think: working as Clinical public health nurse for nearly 4 years, Clinical research assistant x 2 years, nursing instructor x 2 years, awards for community building/leadership/research, president of student health and wellness club, therapy dog trainer/volunteer, recreation volunteer with older adults living with dementia, poster presentations/published abstract etc...

Thanks for your opinions! So anxious for January 31!

The wGPA is just about the average accepted for Ottawa's English Stream, so your success will come down to your sketch, which sounds really impressive to me! Best of luck :)