Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hello all..

I am in dire need of advice. I was going to start a thread, but in the hopes someone will see this and help. 

I study at the Memorial University in St. John's Newfoundland. I am graduating this semester with a bachelors of science in Neuroscience with a GPA of 3.92 (by U of T standards) and 4.00 Memorial standard. Took the MCATS and got 36: 14 PS, 12 BS, 10 VR. As far as extracurricular, I volunteer at healthcare facilities..namely retiree's homes and alot of tutoring. I felt I did well on my interview..I actually got an interview at Memorial University where I study.

Applied to Memorial University and all six schools in Ontario. Thus far:

Rejected from all but U of T. No word yet. 

My questions to you all (PLEASE) is advise me on what I should be doing during this gap year? Advice on applying to America/Ireland. Opinions on why I got rejected. I realize some schools cutoff because of Verbal and some dont take MCAT into consideration so that took of me out of the strong competition pool. I am convinced and I know I got rejected from my school (where I had the highest and probable only chance) because I am not considered a real newfoundlander. They accepted students with much lower academic profiles because they were born and lived long term in Newfoundland and are more likely to remain and serve in a remote and rural area. I am asking for you advice because my head is spinning as far as what is required of me..how to be more competitive..where I should even bother applying next year and what are my chances now with U of T that I still havent heard from them.

The reason you didn't get an interview at Western is due to the 10VR.

Queen's because of your EC's since you would've met cut offs for MCAT and GPA.

You should've got an interview at Mac if you had done well on CASPer.

If you have research experience and did well on the essays, You might get an interview invite from UofT. Your high mcat score doesn't really help here since it's based on cut offs for UofT.

You have a good chance for Manitoba since they are very mcat heavy.

I suggest working on EC's and research to up your chances for Queen's and UofT (if you don't get in this year). You can't apply to calgary since they have an 11VR cut off for OOP, but you can apply to UofAlberta if you get those EC's looking better.

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice here which I have not posted about yet.

Basically my story is that I have been a lawyer for 6 years and graduated law school in 2008. I will save the EC's talk for a later date. 

My cGPA is 3.59 (not great, I know). For U of T my wGPA is 3.8. My wGPA at other schools is lower than my cGPA. 

I had been thinking of applying to med for years. I only decided last spring that I would actually do it. By that point it was too late to study for the MCAT so I decided to write it and only do the verbal.

I did the verbal and got an 11. I applied to Mac but did not get an interview.

My undergrad was in bio. So I believe I could get a decent MCAT score if I studied. But, it is a lot of work. Especially considering that I learned the content 10 years ago, and that I need to work full time of course. However, U of T has a pretty low MCAT cut off. I think that I might have a shot there?

Western could also be an option maybe. I only have a 3-year undergrad though so I think I might be out of the running according to their website. I have a 3 year BSc and a 3 year JD though, so I don't understand how I would be barred from consideration. My BSc is from UWO as well! I plan to give them a call in the next couple days. I forget my wGPA for Western after I wrote it off, but it was probably around 3.8?

Does anyone have any advice about what to do next? Clearly it may be worthwhile to write the MCAT as a whole this year (writing just the verbal did not take much prep time after writing the LSAT 10 years ago and reading and writing like a maniac for the next decade). 

Could I have a shot at U of T, Western, or Mac? What about Queen's? 

Also: I guess I am working with a low GPA. I don't know if there is a way to fix that? I know I could bring it up by spending some time at less difficult schools in less difficult programs, but even then I would be working! The GPA issue is not so easy to fix once you are out on your own!

Thank you for responding bruhh. 

My ECs probably suck on paper. As a lawyer, I have helped a lot of people often for free, but I don't know how I would get that across on an app. 

I looked at other provinces but I actually don't see chances there. Plus, it would be tough since I have a serious bf here. I believe the only out of province school that I had a chance at would be Manitoba with an amazing MCAT? 

Thank you for responding bruhh.

My ECs probably suck on paper. As a lawyer, I have helped a lot of people often for free, but I don't know how I would get that across on an app.

I looked at other provinces but I actually don't see chances there. Plus, it would be tough since I have a serious bf here. I believe the only out of province school that I had a chance at would be Manitoba with an amazing MCAT?

With an amazing MCAT it may be possible. About 30% of pre-interview is still GPA and OOP tend to have pretty high GPA's as well. It will be very competitive because of the whole OOP non-preference but you could give it a try.

Also Sadkatchewan is 100% MCAT if you have a 83% overall GPA based on Saskatchewan's grading system. The average accepted OOP had like 36+ MCAT though, so it's very tough.

As for Ontario, UofT has a very high GPA avwrage (3.94 for 2014). With a 3.8 you would be at a great disadvantage unless you have ample research experience + amazing essay (although j would think being a lawyer would help since they claim to have a "holistic" approach).

If you meet the GPA cut off for western and Queen's, definitely do the entire MCAT and apply. For Western, a 3.7 GPA + 12BS/11VR/9PS WILL get you an interview.

Hi everyone. I am looking for some advice here which I have not posted about yet.

Basically my story is that I have been a lawyer for 6 years and graduated law school in 2008. I will save the EC's talk for a later date. 

My cGPA is 3.59 (not great, I know). For U of T my wGPA is 3.8. My wGPA at other schools is lower than my cGPA. 

I had been thinking of applying to med for years. I only decided last spring that I would actually do it. By that point it was too late to study for the MCAT so I decided to write it and only do the verbal.

I did the verbal and got an 11. I applied to Mac but did not get an interview.

My undergrad was in bio. So I believe I could get a decent MCAT score if I studied. But, it is a lot of work. Especially considering that I learned the content 10 years ago, and that I need to work full time of course. However, U of T has a pretty low MCAT cut off. I think that I might have a shot there?

Western could also be an option maybe. I only have a 3-year undergrad though so I think I might be out of the running according to their website. I have a 3 year BSc and a 3 year JD though, so I don't understand how I would be barred from consideration. My BSc is from UWO as well! I plan to give them a call in the next couple days. I forget my wGPA for Western after I wrote it off, but it was probably around 3.8?

Does anyone have any advice about what to do next? Clearly it may be worthwhile to write the MCAT as a whole this year (writing just the verbal did not take much prep time after writing the LSAT 10 years ago and reading and writing like a maniac for the next decade). 

Could I have a shot at U of T, Western, or Mac? What about Queen's? 

Also: I guess I am working with a low GPA. I don't know if there is a way to fix that? I know I could bring it up by spending some time at less difficult schools in less difficult programs, but even then I would be working! The GPA issue is not so easy to fix once you are out on your own!

You're probably fine for Western given that a JD is technically a second-entry program, so it counts as an undergrad program and I would expect them to qualify that as a four-year program. I got in off a 3-year, second-entry program that they considered up to their standards, so I'd expect they'd treat your JD similarly. I'd be interested to hear what they say.

Just to check - have you included your JD marks in your GPA calculations?

Anyway, that aside, your wGPA as stated is almost certainly too low for U of T without having done grad work. Mac's an uphill climb, but possible - as medmom says, you'd need a good CASPer, but it's doable. Queen's is possible if your GPA passes their cutoff (recently 3.70 for the last two years of undergrad marks), same for Western. Both require a high MCAT, but there's no reason you couldn't hit those levels, especially with a proven track record on the VR section. I had no university-level chemistry (orgo or otherwise) and did pretty well on those sections - official schooling is far from required to do well on the MCAT.

I would caution against doing courses as a GPA-boosted. Many school won't look at them unless there were done full-time. They might help a bit at Mac, but with 6 years of schooling in your cGPA, it'd take a lot of courses with high marks to meaningfully improve your cGPA for Mac. Unfortunately, when GPA is a concern, the main remedy is a full undergrad, done full time (but typically completed in 2 years).

Thank you medmom, that is great to hear!

I was thinking that I will throw my hat in the ring again for sure. Now that I have done the CASPer once, perhaps I can improve. I thought it went well but I guess not!

I want to analyze what I did on this one and figure out how to improve. I took detailed notes for myself on the test day. I jotted down a few words for each question to remember it and then I tried to take notes after wards of what I thought I had answered. 

Do you have any tips on improving?

Thank you ralk! 

Yes, that is my overall GPA. Unfortunately Queen's is off the table I think because their wGPA is last two years and my marks are highest at the start, lol. 

That sounds like good news about Western, I will have to ask them. Since their wGPA is best two years, I would meet the cut off. 

If I can write the MCAT and meet Western's cut-offs, I might as well apply to U of T as well. They say on their website that a wGPA of 3.8 is competitive, so at the least I would think that I wouldn't be automatically thrown in the "no" pile... I hope!

Since my undergrad was biology, I do have all of the so called MCAT "pre-reqs". Funny to think though that it was ten years ago. When I started looking at the material, I was surprised to see that I sort of remembered it. I always hated chemistry though. It's a good thing that the PS cut off is the lowest!

Thank you medmom, that is great to hear!

I was thinking that I will throw my hat in the ring again for sure. Now that I have done the CASPer once, perhaps I can improve. I thought it went well but I guess not!

I want to analyze what I did on this one and figure out how to improve. I took detailed notes for myself on the test day. I jotted down a few words for each question to remember it and then I tried to take notes after wards of what I thought I had answered. 

Do you have any tips on improving?

Sorry, you seem to be similar to me in age and life experience, so I have no idea why I would have done better on CASPer than you! If you want to PM me we could try to compare answers/approaches to some questions and see how they differ.

Sorry, you seem to be similar to me in age and life experience, so I have no idea why I would have done better on CASPer than you! If you want to PM me we could try to compare answers/approaches to some questions and see how they differ.

That would be great thank you! I will send you a PM. 

I would love to talk strategy. You must have done very well on it if your stats are similar to mine. We didn't have a great shot going into the CASPer. I thought that age and experience might give me an advantage as well, just because I have had more years to come across similar problems in real life, and also to consider the ethical issues.

I did have one funny thing happen on the CASPer because of my age though. One of the autobiographical questions asked me to relate a time something happened (I don't think I'm being too specific here, moderators reading this, that's just the definition of an autobiographical question right?). I totally blanked and could not think of a single example of this situation happening to me. Then about a day later I realized that this had happened to me once... in 1997! I figured most people have a couple week answers and I was more optimistic about the rest of my answers. 

I think I might have sort of jumped ahead to the answer too quickly in some of my answers. I have a bad habit of sometimes doing that. When I write for work it's not a problem though, because I can always take the time to go back and edit everything to make it clearer. And when I am speaking, I will be asked a follow up question if anyone feels like I jumped ahead.  

Hi guys, 

I will be applying in October. What are my chances of getting an interview at UBC and also getting in after if i get one? 

here are my stats: 

GPA: 91% 

MCAT: PS 12/ VR 07/ BS 12

Non-academic qualities: Lots of research (one publication, one in review, one in preparation), acting in different plays, volunteer experience for different things, two or three awards in university, 2-3 employment 

I am just worried that my 7 in verbal will hold me back...what do you guys think? :/ 

Thanks a lot! Any feedback is appreciated

Hi guys, 

I will be applying in October. What are my chances of getting an interview at UBC and also getting in after if i get one? 

here are my stats: 

GPA: 91% 

MCAT: PS 12/ VR 07/ BS 12

Non-academic qualities: Lots of research (one publication, one in review, one in preparation), acting in different plays, volunteer experience for different things, two or three awards in university, 2-3 employment 

I am just worried that my 7 in verbal will hold me back...what do you guys think? :/ 

Thanks a lot! Any feedback is appreciated

No need to spam, have answered on your other post.

As an FYI, generally the UBC application is due early september (or early august for early deadline).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a good idea of my chances at Ontario schools after applying to them once. But, as my username suggests, I'm moving to BC very soon and would like some idea of my chances at UBC with my shiny new IP status.

If I was correct in converting my last 3 years (also my best 3, all FCL) GPA to the UBC scale, my GPA there is 89.6.

My MCAT is 13VR/10PS/11BS/Q.

I'd need to finish some pre-reqs during the application cycle.

ECs include 3 years of research, lots of work in the community with special needs/under-privileged groups, full-time (not particularly med-related but difficult-to-get) job, several commitments of 3+ years, some other fun stuff...

From what I've read, I seem to meet all of their official cut-offs, but I was hoping you guys could assess my chances. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I have a good idea of my chances at Ontario schools after applying to them once. But, as my username suggests, I'm moving to BC very soon and would like some idea of my chances at UBC with my shiny new IP status.

If I was correct in converting my last 3 years (also my best 3, all FCL) GPA to the UBC scale, my GPA there is 89.6.

My MCAT is 13VR/10PS/11BS/Q.

I'd need to finish some pre-reqs during the application cycle.

ECs include 3 years of research, lots of work in the community with special needs/under-privileged groups, full-time (not particularly med-related but difficult-to-get) job, several commitments of 3+ years, some other fun stuff...

From what I've read, I seem to meet all of their official cut-offs, but I was hoping you guys could assess my chances. Thanks in advance!

Good shape if youre considered IP for UBC. 

I wouldn't say your gauranteed even an interview though, as it will depend how your ECs are scored.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys just wanted to inquire about my chances.. I graduated in 2014 and I'm taking this year to strengthen my ECs.

I'd like to know my chances for the Ontario Schools (other than Northern):

GPA:

Mac: 3.85

UofT/Ottawa: 3.94

Queens/Western: 3.97

MCAT:

PS 12 / VR 11 / BS 12

ECs:

-2.5 years as a volunteer Research Assistant in a Neuro Lab.  Completed a thesis, and have a conference presentation. I would estimate that I put in over 1200 hours here.

-1 year volunteer on a crisis hotline

-1 year volunteering as a 1 on 1 mentor with children with autism

- 3 years Private Tutor

- grade 8 Piano RCM

- 1 year volunteering at a residential treatment addiction clinic ( I did a tiny bit of research, but I also welcomed incoming clients and led a few teaching sessions)

- 6 months hospital volunteer

- 2 years of work experience as a data entry clerk at a health lab

I'd really like some tips to bolster my ECs if possible.  Thank you guys so much!!

Hi guys just wanted to inquire about my chances.. I graduated in 2014 and I'm taking this year to strengthen my ECs.

I'd like to know my chances for the Ontario Schools (other than Northern):

GPA:

Mac: 3.85

UofT/Ottawa: 3.94

Queens/Western: 3.97

MCAT:

PS 12 / VR 11 / BS 12

ECs:

-2.5 years as a volunteer Research Assistant in a Neuro Lab.  Completed a thesis, and have a conference presentation. I would estimate that I put in over 1200 hours here.

-1 year volunteer on a crisis hotline

-1 year volunteering as a 1 on 1 mentor with children with autism

- 3 years Private Tutor

- grade 8 Piano RCM

- 1 year volunteering at a residential treatment addiction clinic ( I did a tiny bit of research, but I also welcomed incoming clients and led a few teaching sessions)

- 6 months hospital volunteer

- 2 years of work experience as a data entry clerk at a health lab

I'd really like some tips to bolster my ECs if possible.  Thank you guys so much!!

GPA's good, MCAT is solid, so those alone put you in good shape. Should get you an interview at Western and fairly good shot at an interview at Mac, depending on your CASPer performance.

ECs look pretty good - you hit pretty much all the major points well enough, you have some interesting experiences to talk about as well as some personal items. There's not really anything specific you're lacking I could recommend - as long as you stay busy and continue to challenge yourself with your ECs, they'll be in good shape. A publication is the only thing I can really say is "missing", but that's just a cherry on top of your research experience - a thesis and a conference presentation are more than enough to show your research chops. Maybe some sort of leadership/managerial experience would be helpful, but I wouldn't recommend pursuing any opportunities along those lines unless you had a genuine interest in the work. Overall, just continue to explore opportunities you think would be of interest and try to deepen your role in activities you're already engaging in (well, the ones you'd like to continue with at least). You're in pretty good standing as it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting on this website and I just wanted to know my chances at med school (Canada but would also go to the U.S.) since I am planning to apply this year. I'm sorry in advance if this is posted in the wrong thread!

- Just finished 3rd year undergrad at a Toronto university

- GPA: cGPA is 3.78.  I took a full course load each year so would qualify for UofT's weighted adjustments, I estimate that would put my GPA closer to ~3.84. My GPA is low mainly because of my first year. My parents divorced and I went through a low phase and I'm doing better now but honestly it still affects me. And because of this I also have to work 2 jobs while balancing my other ECs and research etc which I feel took a toll on my grades. But honestly I wouldn't have it any other way because I naturally like to be involved and am passionate about the things I am involved in and I would hate to have to just leave like that.

- MCAT: Have not written it yet, will be writing end of August.

- EC's: Lots of stuff.. I think my EC's are the stronger part of my application since I have held a lot of leadership positions. President/Executive of a social justice club for 3 years, organized numerous human rights and model WHO conferences, volunteered at a hospital for over 3 years, actively been an ambassador for an international development organization raising thousands for micro-financing and education-based projects in countries in Africa, on a youth political organization for a couple of years, part of a mentoring program at my university for first year students, and also do tae kwon do from time to time. In high school I was also part of the student council, soccer team captain, etc.

- Work: I work 2 part time jobs. One of them is a coordinator of a mentoring program at my university, the other is retail.

- Research experience: I volunteer and now work in a research lab since the past year, I'd say I've put in ~200-300 hours. No publications or anything. Will be doing my thesis next year.

I would appreciate any advice/feedback anyone can give! I'm at a stage where I'm doubting myself and don't even know if I should even bother applying... thanks!

Just wanted a quick estimate, I am only in second year right now.

I predict my cGPA to be around 3.83 for my first two years. (Is this too low?)

EC's: research volunteer since summer after first year, crisis helpline (started in 2nd year), sports, rehab clinic volunteer.

I haven't written the MCAT yet.

What can I do to strengthen my application? I feel like I am extremely below average as an applicant and I don't plan on applying in 3rd year.