Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi everyone,

I just finished my year 3 of undergrad and wanted advice on whether or not I should even bother applying to this cycle to Canadian and US med schools. I would say the #1 thing that affected my GPA the most was my financial situation at home (parents divorced), and I had to work 2 part-time jobs to help my mother, all while trying to get in good ECs. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses, but that's really what it is :(

I'll let the Ontario folk address your chances but do not think like it's an excuse anyways! Working two part-time jobs to support your family is probably the best EC I've heard from anyone. Don't sell yourself short based on volume of ECs and know that doing noble things like this is what everyone should strive for in their lives. 

This was not a full course load year so I'm afraid they might not apply the weighting formula on your GPA. Not entirely sure if summer courses taken can supplement this. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that UofT considers 28 credits a full course load if you are at an institution that follows a 30 credit system? This is from their admissions FAQ page:

"9) I attend a university that operates on a 30-credit system. What counts as a full course load?

A full course load would be 28 credits or higher in the regular academic session."

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm

1. So far you have 97 credits, If you took a summer course to have 100 credits or you have AP/IB credits, Manitoba will drop your worst 6 courses from their 4.5 GPA calculation, but you still need 37+ MCAT for OOP to have an interview invite from recent years.

2. Your GPA converted to Saskatchewan may have pass its 83% cut-off, but you need MCAT 34+ (2014 -2015 cycle) or 35+ (2013-2014 cycle) for OOP to have an interview invite.

3. Western Ontario may put your first winter and summer as year 1 since you started from winter, on your OMSAS application you have to mention this for their attention, anyway, since your year 3 is 3.75 if you pass their MCAT cut-off and interview, they may put you on their waitlist and you need to submit your year 4 and pass 3.7 GPA by the end of May to maintain on the waitlist.

4. McMaster using your first 3 years 3.75 cGPA, if you have outstanding VR and casper, you may have a chance for interview, I personally know some people with cGPA 3.68 to 3.78 get interviewed at McMaster.

Thank you for the reply MD2B2019. Have you seen Western do that in the past in someone's case? I'm planning on applying next cycle and not this coming cycle as I'm not writing the MCAT this summer and would like my last year to count. Also, what kind of VR or CARS would you need for McMaster with a cGPA of 3.75?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that UofT considers 28 credits a full course load if you are at an institution that follows a 30 credit system? This is from their admissions FAQ page:

"9) I attend a university that operates on a 30-credit system. What counts as a full course load?

A full course load would be 28 credits or higher in the regular academic session."

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm

Hey you're right! Sorry about that, my bad. Best of luck!

I'll let the Ontario folk address your chances but do not think like it's an excuse anyways! Working two part-time jobs to support your family is probably the best EC I've heard from anyone. Don't sell yourself short based on volume of ECs and know that doing noble things like this is what everyone should strive for in their lives. 

Thanks so much for those kind words, it really means a LOT. I really never looked at my jobs as "ECs" in that sense, I actually didn't think of them as anything. I just always felt like it sounds like an excuse for a poor GPA when I tell people I am working 2 jobs. But you're right-I shouldn't sell myself short!

Have you looked into DO schools?

No chance at US MD and DO schools this cycle because you are writing MCAT too late. Also no chance at Ontario schools this cycle.

It seems like you are struggling financially. I think you should save your money and try to better your application for next next cycle.

Thanks for the feedback! I want to avoid DO schools and would like to aim for US MD or Canadian MD. I know I am writing my MCAT too late, but I thought I may still have a shot even with late application since I know some people who applied late but got waitlisted. But I understand my chances are still very slim because of my GPA. 

I am struggling financially and in fact with everything going on, I think the stress is making me counter-productive and is having negative effects on me. I don't even feel motivated to study sometimes. I honestly haven't taken care of my mental health since my parents divorced, and it makes me wonder if I would be able to even handle medical school (if I even got in). ...

Thank you for the reply MD2B2019. Have you seen Western do that in the past in someone's case? I'm planning on applying next cycle and not this coming cycle as I'm not writing the MCAT this summer and would like my last year to count. Also, what kind of VR or CARS would you need for McMaster with a cGPA of 3.75?

Yes, I did know one from a 3 years degree program, applied at 3rd year (last year) so only had 2 years GPA, one year meet 3/5 but the other year didn't, interviewed by Western and waitlisted. Western asked Dean's letter in February to proof there is no other way to complete the degree in 3 years by following the 3/5 rule.

That's why you have to mention your year 1 situation on your application to make year 1 count as a full year from winter to summer. You may need your dean's letter.

VR12 and 3.7 cGPA interviewed by McMaster.

Yes, I did know one from a 3 years degree program, applied at 3rd year (last year) so only had 2 years GPA, one year meet 3/5 but the other year didn't, interviewed by Western and waitlisted. Western asked Dean's letter in February to proof there is no other way to complete the degree in 3 years by following the 3/5 rule.

That's why you have to mention your year 1 situation on your application to make year 1 count as a full year from winter to summer. You may need your dean's letter.

VR12 and 3.7 cGPA interviewed by McMaster.

Thank you for answering all of my questions. I have one more question though. Do you have any idea if UofT would apply their weighting formula in my case? I've tried asking the admissions office but they said that it would be upto the admissions committee at the time of application.

Thank you for answering all of my questions. I have one more question though. Do you have any idea if UofT would apply their weighting formula in my case? I've tried asking the admissions office but they said that it would be upto the admissions committee at the time of application.

Sorry, no insight for UofT, you just have to trust their admission process,  UofT did ask you write down your special condition on your application, like you're from 3 years degree program, started university from Winter, in co-op degree program, exchange student program, etc.So I assumed if you mention your special condition follow their application instructions and if you meet their weighting formula, they will give it to you.

Hey guys, I just finished my second year and was looking for some feedback. 

1st Year GPA: 3.96

2nd Year GPA: 3.87

Writing my MCAT this summer. 

EC: - 12 Years of drums (2 years in semi professional rock band)

- 5 years playing guitar

- VP of on campus club (music related) and member of 2 other clubs on campus

- deans list w/ distinction (top 3% GPA in first year) 

- one basic GPA related scholarship

- 12 years of mildly competitive ice hockey including intramurals at uni

- 2 summers volunteering at local hospital once a week

I think my EC's are a bit weak, is there any value to applying this upcoming round? 

Thanks

- 5 years playing guitar

I think my EC's are a bit weak, is there any value to applying this upcoming round? 

Thanks

I don't think your ECs are weak at all. Try to get involved with some sort of advocacy work (like with a charity) and some research. With your stats I think it's definitely worth applying, given that your MCAT is good. Good luck!

- 5 years playing guitar

Thanks

marks look good!

my best suggestions for ECs:

1. lead something, and i dont mean Prez of a campus club. think about something you're passionate about that is not being addressed in a way you like and do something about it. whether its a petition, creating a business, organizing an independent event, anything. all it takes is a couple emails/new connections and its totally worth the work.

2. be more productive during your remaining summers. if you can manage studying mcat on evenings & weekends only, look for a full time job, internship or volunteering position.  

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some feedback about where I'm at so far. Any response is much appreciated!

overall GPA: 3.66 (there is an upward trend, from around 3.0 to recently 4.0 out of a 4.33 scale)

science GPA: okay, this one is hard. Including a bio class that I did extremely bad in my first semester of university, I have a 3.50. If i do not include that one class, it goes up to 3.99 /4.33 scale. (I am in a non-science major, so I don't have many science credits other than the pre reqs, hence the huge jump).

Writing the MCAT in the next couple months.

I'm not too concerned about my ECs (for example, I have two papers that are going to be submitted for publication as a first author, 7-8 conference presentations already, TA for a class, etc), but I was wondering about some insight into my GPA. How positive are upward trends viewed (or do they even matter?) Especially concerned because I have that one awful grade, but the rest of my science grades are around 4.0.

Thanks

Ottawa gives greater weight to your GPA in your senior years over your junior ones, Queens looks at the most recent 2 years for GPA, and Western takes your best two years. If you do well in your final year(s) you'll probably have a solid shot (combined with a decent MCAT; your ECs sound fairly strong).

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some feedback about where I'm at so far. Any response is much appreciated!

overall GPA: 3.66 (there is an upward trend, from around 3.0 to recently 4.0 out of a 4.33 scale)

science GPA: okay, this one is hard. Including a bio class that I did extremely bad in my first semester of university, I have a 3.50. If i do not include that one class, it goes up to 3.99 /4.33 scale. (I am in a non-science major, so I don't have many science credits other than the pre reqs, hence the huge jump).

Writing the MCAT in the next couple months.

I'm not too concerned about my ECs (for example, I have two papers that are going to be submitted for publication as a first author, 7-8 conference presentations already, TA for a class, etc), but I was wondering about some insight into my GPA. How positive are upward trends viewed (or do they even matter?) Especially concerned because I have that one awful grade, but the rest of my science grades are around 4.0.

Thanks

1. You must convert your GPA to the 4.0 scale before we can give you any opinion, as well as your last / best 2 year GPA's.

2. Your science GPA is irrelevant for canadian Medical schools, do not worry about it.

Hey, for Canadian med schools, does your MCAT score matter other than for cut-offs? U of T told me that MCAT plays 0 factor in admission other than for cut-offs but I'm finding this to be hard to believe..

For UofT, it's true. Different for other schools:

Mac will take your VR score only, and the higher it is the better.

Calgay will also only take your VR, and the higher the better.

Alberta takes your entire MCAT and the higher the better.

Manitoba, the higher the better.

Saskatchewan is 100% MCAT for OOP and anything below a 34 usually doesn't get an interview.

Queens you need to meet a cut off (unofficially 10+/10+/10+) and then it doesn't play a substantial factor apparently (your EC's are more important)

Western you need to meet the cut off for an interview and a higher score will not help.

UBC doesn't care about MCAT as long as it's above 7/7/7 until AFTER interview, then the higher the better.

Ottawa, Northern, and French schools don't require the MCAT.

Dalhousie also takes MCAT into account (higher the better).

I thought the speculation was that Western used MCAT for selection as well (instead of just a cut-off) - or is it like Queen's except panel interview?

Western is based on cut off, both GPA and MCAT. you will get an interview if you have a 3.7+ GPA and 12BS/11VR/9PS (this cut off may change next year). A higher MCAT will not help, except maybe in post interview evaluation. 

Fortunately, I don't have to go through the process again - the post interview evaluation is what I was wondering about.  However, since I was born and raised in Southwestern Ontario, I would have applied to Western this year.  

There has been a "break" for Southwestern Ontario applicants on the MCAT - only the total has been needed instead of the individual section scores.  MCAT 2015 will evidently have possibly different section cutoffs.  

oh yea you'e the person with the awesome story over on the non trad success thread haha. 

It's true. SWOMEN applicants get priority. MCAT 2015 will definitely be different because of the new PSYC section - a new cut off factor will be in place and this may skew the cut off for other sections as well.