Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

What scores do you have in each MCAT section? What's your Toronto weighted GPA?

PS - 12, VR - 11, BS - 11 and Toronto GPA by taking out my worst 3 year long courses is around 3.93 (I just finished 3 years of undergrad). What do you think of this? 

I don't think it's worth applying OOP to UofA or UofC - need new mcat anyway. Ubc possibly - very competitive. Think sask - 34 is borderline competitive not sure of Manitoba. Dal - yes. nosm no - western only if at least 12 bio and 11 vr.

Thanks a bunch! That was super informative! Why not nosm? GPA? And do you think it is possible for Western to have a lowered BS for this year or naw? 

PS - 12, VR - 11, BS - 11 and Toronto GPA by taking out my worst 3 year long courses is around 3.93 (I just finished 3 years of undergrad). What do you think of this? 

Thanks a bunch! That was super informative! Why not nosm? GPA? And do you think it is possible for Western to have a lowered BS for this year or naw? 

Nosm only accepts northern ontario or rural Canada applicants (i.e. high school in those regions).  It doesn't matter if you lived or volunteered in a rural region at some point, from what I have seen.  I definitely think with mcat 2015 that Western might balance the percentiles a little differently ( to account for the psych/soc section too), but I'd be surprised if they lower the previous scores accepted for older mcat.  Since it is so close, may be worth a shot.  I'd say McMaster would be a good possibility with 11 VR, but would also need a good casper - prep in advance.    

Nosm only accepts northern ontario or rural Canada applicants (i.e. high school in those regions).  It doesn't matter if you lived or volunteered in a rural region at some point, from what I have seen. 

I agree with this statement. I only applied to NOSM last year - mind you, my GPA was on the lower end of competitive but I believe my ECs and application was generally strong - and didn't get an interview. And I've spent a lot of time in the far north as my MSc degree was focused on the Hudson Bay Lowland working with northern First Nations communities. 

That's just my experience, but the point is that the NOSM application took quite a bit of time and effort, so if you aren't completely sure that you have a good shot at NOSM, then I recommend focusing your energy on other applications. 

Just finished 2nd year. Good GPA, poor ECs (?). Wondering if I should apply 3rd year (and if so where?)

1st year GPA: 3.97

2nd year GPA: 4.0

MCAT: Will do this august

ECs:

1 year in concert band

5 years self taught guitar, 1 year in ensemble

1 year conversation buddy/tutor with ESL students

1 year arts and crafts volunteering with children in hospital

3 months irrelevant clinical research (project was cancelled)

Last summer working full time at government office

This summer just studying for MCAT and volunteering at seniors home on the side.

I think you're on a good path and I don't think your ECs are weak. Keep doing what you're doing, maybe get more involved with research and some sort of charity, and I think you'll be fine.

Hi All

I am in this situation and I have been struggling for months to figure out which option works for me. I would be happy and grateful if you guys can help me with your information/advices:

I have a thesis base masters degree from Ryerson University (Mechanical), I passed 5 courses with (2 A+, 2 A, and 1 A-)
I have done my undergrad in a tough engineering school outside of Canada: GPA 3.16/4 (two best years 3.79 & 3.41)

I am 26 and I do not want to spend a lot of money and time and gain nothing at the end, so I assume that I have the following options: 

1) doing another undergrad degree but this time in health science, become familiar with health courses and also prepare myself for MCAT, definitely my chance would be higher, I am sure I can get a high GPA. And with my masters, probably I will be good for interview. The bad thing is that it takes 4 years and I will be 30 by then. 

2) Take 2 years non-program health science courses, obtain some good marks and get ready for MCAT, and then apply. The bad thing is that, considering my low under-grad GPA I won't have a chance for the schools that consider all 4 years for calculating GPA. 

3) unfortunately, because of my immigration problems I cannot do MD outside of Canada. I am about to become PR, so leaving the country means that I have to give up on my immigration hopes. 

I understand that by doing the second option I will not have a chance at all for a lot of MD schools inside of Canada. But If you had my situation, what would you do. 

Thank you so much,
Your comments and advices would make a huge effect on my decision. 

•  

<p>

Hi All

I am in this situation and I have been struggling for months to figure out which option works for me. I would be happy and grateful if you guys can help me with your information/advices:

I have a thesis base masters degree from Ryerson University (Mechanical), I passed 5 courses with (2 A+, 2 A, and 1 A-)

I have done my undergrad in a tough engineering school outside of Canada: GPA 3.16/4 (two best years 3.79 & 3.41)

I am 26 and I do not want to spend a lot of money and time and gain nothing at the end, so I assume that I have the following options:

1) doing another undergrad degree but this time in health science, become familiar with health courses and also prepare myself for MCAT, definitely my chance would be higher, I am sure I can get a high GPA. And with my masters, probably I will be good for interview. The bad thing is that it takes 4 years and I will be 30 by then.

2) Take 2 years non-program health science courses, obtain some good marks and get ready for MCAT, and then apply. The bad thing is that, considering my low under-grad GPA I won't have a chance for the schools that consider all 4 years for calculating GPA.

3) unfortunately, because of my immigration problems I cannot do MD outside of Canada. I am about to become PR, so leaving the country means that I have to give up on my immigration hopes.

I understand that by doing the second option I will not have a chance at all for a lot of MD schools inside of Canada. But If you had my situation, what would you do.

Thank you so much,

Your comments and advices would make a huge effect on my decision.

I have a couple questions for you that will impact your options.

Is the GPA you listed an OMSAS converted one or simply your GPA from your home institution. If it is from your home institution, and the grading scale is quite different (e.g. 4.0 = 85% + vs 95%+). If it is your home institution, I believe you need to have it converted to see where you stand. You may be surprised.

Was it full time? Have you used Toronto's weighting formula (I.e. eliminating X number of your worst courses) to see where you stand?

Also, note that you do not need to do another 4 years to do a second degree. Second degrees can be done in 2-3 years (3 if you intentionally stretch it to qualify for Ottawa weighting).

As you noted, certain schools will not consider non-degree courses while others will. Be careful about option 2 that you qualify for all schools you are interested in.

I have a couple questions for you that will impact your options.

Is the GPA you listed an OMSAS converted one or simply your GPA from your home institution. If it is from your home institution, and the grading scale is quite different (e.g. 4.0 = 85% + vs 95%+). If it is your home institution, I believe you need to have it converted to see where you stand. You may be surprised.

Was it full time? Have you used Toronto's weighting formula (I.e. eliminating X number of your worst courses) to see where you stand?

Also, note that you do not need to do another 4 years to do a second degree. Second degrees can be done in 2-3 years (3 if you intentionally stretch it to qualify for Ottawa weighting).

As you noted, certain schools will not consider non-degree courses while others will. Be careful about option 2 that you qualify for all schools you are interested in.

"not my real name" thanks for the information and the comment. 

I did my undergrad outside of canada, so basically WES calculated my GPA (World Education Services), all the candidates who have done their undergrad outside of Canada should do this (according to the OMSAS booklet). So, I can't do anything about that. 

Yes, my program was full time. Thanks for suggesting me to use Toronto formula, but it do not think it is competitive at all with other applicants who have masters (3.37)

Regarding doing an undergrad in 2-3 years, I prefer to get the shortest acceptable undergrad degree, which has life science courses. Are you talking about doing a 4 year program in 2-3 years (meaning take a lot of courses in each semester) or you are talking about the programs that are actually 2-3 years. Sorry for bothering you. 

you are right, I have to be careful  when I am choosing the second option. 

Thank you again. 

Firstly, remain in Canada! Have your forteign degree grades assessed by WES. I agree that you should go for a second undergrad degree.

MD2015

Thanks for the reply. You are right, the chance of getting back to Canada for residency or practice is not high right now. And it will be even lower in the next couple of years. 

Do you have any information about which degree should I get as the second degree? I prefer to do a short program that has health science courses. 

Thank you again. 

"not my real name" thanks for the information and the comment. 

I did my undergrad outside of canada, so basically WES calculated my GPA (World Education Services), all the candidates who have done their undergrad outside of Canada should do this (according to the OMSAS booklet). So, I can't do anything about that. 

Yes, my program was full time. Thanks for suggesting me to use Toronto formula, but it do not think it is competitive at all with other applicants who have masters (3.37)

Regarding doing an undergrad in 2-3 years, I prefer to get the shortest acceptable undergrad degree, which has life science courses. Are you talking about doing a 4 year program in 2-3 years (meaning take a lot of courses in each semester) or you are talking about the programs that are actually 2-3 years. Sorry for bothering you. 

you are right, I have to be careful  when I am choosing the second option. 

Thank you again. 

Typically, when doing a second degree, you are only required to complete courses that actually count towards your new program. For instance, I only had to complete the 67 credits for my major for my second degree rather than the usual 90 credits (Quebec). The university will give you transfer credit for any electives you would normally need to do. Whether or not it is actually possible to do the second degree in 2 years depends on the program, as some programs have defined course progressions that would make it hard to condense. If you wish to apply to Western, you also must be mindful of the "3/5" rule, which can be more complicated when doing a second degree (you may have to take more lower level courses). It is also possible that you've done many first year courses already, at least physics, chemistry and calculus - which shortens what you must do.

I did mine in 3 years because of course progression issues, I did not want to take 5 program courses / semester, and to build up a higher cGPA. However, many people have done second degrees in two years so it is certainly doable. The only reason to do it in 3, really, is Ottawa and cGPA. However, you might be able to bring up your U of T GPA considerably by doing another 2-3 years. A biology degree might give you some nice flexibility to make it possible in 2 years.

I would recommend talking to an admissions person (at the school where you would do your second degree) about your options, to see exactly what is possible.

Hi Guys

I was considering to have an appointment with one of the companies that provide admission consulting services. I am thinking about having just one session to confirm my understanding with a professional. Do you have any comment/suggestion regarding that? 

thanks

In my opinion, collectively we know as much as anybody out there who will charge you money to make you feel secure b/c you are dealing with a so-called "professional". If you seek information directly from a university, the horse's mouth so to speak, no charge.

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if you could chance me and give me tips on what to improve? I was thinking of applying this year (I will be entering my third year) and hopefully getting some interview experience...

I am an Alberta student so I will likely only be applying to UofC and UofA this year.

GPA: 4.0 (3.95 OMSAS)

MCAT: Writing at the end of summer

EC:

• 400+ Hours of Clinical Volunteering (2 years)
  • ~180 Hours of Coaching (Basketball and Athletic Training, Basketball coaching ~2 years, was very serious about basketball in high school, >7k hours training and Athletic training = 4 months)
  • ~80 Hours Homeless Shelter ( 7 months, discontinued as I felt I wasn't doing anything helpful... any suggestions on what I can do related to this because I really did enjoy working with these people, but I felt the organization was not very organized)
  • ~40 Hours Data Collection last summer
  • NSERC USRA this summer, couple of other academic awards like the Louis Mckinney, Science Bursary etc.

My grades are good for the schools I will be applying to, but I just feel my ECs don't stack up against all these other amazing applicants... I will definitely keep volunteering at the clinic and really up coaching next year (I want to help with high school in addition to club) but I really want to work for humanitarian/charitable causes again because I felt I learned a lot, however I am not sure what organizations I should look into (I understand I cannot always make a difference, but I really want to feel like I'm working towards something, actually making a difference not just going through the motions). I would really appreciate any advice and feedback, thank you so much for your time :)

I apologize, because this is a repost from earlier, but I was wondering if I could receive a second opinion SPECIFICALLY for OOP (I'm an Ontarian from rural outskirts in the Barrie/Orillia area, so NOSM may count) and for American schools (I apologize since I am also posting my stats on that board with a few other questions.

GPA: 3.71 after three years with following distribution:

A+ -> 6
A -> 9
A- -> 10
B + -> 1
B -> 4

First year was 3.72 (3.68 fall, 3.76 winter) with emphasis on A-/3.7s.

Second year was 3.62 (3.38, 3.86) with emphasis on Bs in the fall and As/A+s in the Winter.

This year was unfortunately only a 3.8 (3.78, 3.84) over all; although I had plenty of A+'s and A's I was impacted by an inevitable B in the first semester.

My last two MCATs were abysmal:

55% percentile - 26 with distribution 10/7/9

then 49% - 25 with distribution 10/8/7 (this is a loooong story, but needless to say, I was stupid not to void it).

I am rewriting the MCAT this month, but I'll likely push it up - my first two practice MCATs were just alright if not horrible. 

503 - 124/125/126/128

501 - 125/124/126/126

My ECs:

-Campus Club founder and president.

-Response Team executive for two respective years, volunteer for first year.

-Orientation leader twice and incoming supervisor to orientation leader

-Shadowing experience in surgery with orthopaedic and general surgeons.

-Volunteer at a doctor's office (really, just secretarial work and some extra shadowing).

-Volunteer at a nuclear lab (but really, just more shadowing).

-Volunteer at a nursing home (life enrichment and programming).

-Tons of intramural.

-One semester of research - a directed study, no pubs - I really don't even know how that works.

-Summer research internship but I don't really know yet.

-A possible thesis next year - figuring this out with a potential supervisor as I type. 

Sorry for the urgency/lack of other thread consultation here, but I am trying to figure out my course selection/electives and plan B's/C's/Z's for next year. I am considering American med schools, OOP, pub-health and pharma as backup and need to know where I have a shot to determine my courses this year.

Thanks so much! 

I apologize, because this is a repost from earlier, but I was wondering if I could receive a second opinion SPECIFICALLY for OOP (I'm an Ontarian from rural outskirts in the Barrie/Orillia area, so NOSM may count) and for American schools (I apologize since I am also posting my stats on that board with a few other questions.

GPA: 3.71 after three years with following distribution:

A+ -> 6

A -> 9

A- -> 10

B + -> 1

B -> 4

First year was 3.72 (3.68 fall, 3.76 winter) with emphasis on A-/3.7s.

Second year was 3.62 (3.38, 3.86) with emphasis on Bs in the fall and As/A+s in the Winter.

This year was unfortunately only a 3.8 (3.78, 3.84) over all; although I had plenty of A+'s and A's I was impacted by an inevitable B in the first semester.

My last two MCATs were abysmal:

55% percentile - 26 with distribution 10/7/9

then 49% - 25 with distribution 10/8/7 (this is a loooong story, but needless to say, I was stupid not to void it).

I am rewriting the MCAT this month, but I'll likely push it up - my first two practice MCATs were just alright if not horrible.

503 - 124/125/126/128

501 - 125/124/126/126

My ECs:

-Campus Club founder and president.

-Response Team executive for two respective years, volunteer for first year.

-Orientation leader twice and incoming supervisor to orientation leader

-Shadowing experience in surgery with orthopaedic and general surgeons.

-Volunteer at a doctor's office (really, just secretarial work and some extra shadowing).

-Volunteer at a nuclear lab (but really, just more shadowing).

-Volunteer at a nursing home (life enrichment and programming).

-Tons of intramural.

-One semester of research - a directed study, no pubs - I really don't even know how that works.

-Summer research internship but I don't really know yet.

-A possible thesis next year - figuring this out with a potential supervisor as I type.

Sorry for the urgency/lack of other thread consultation here, but I am trying to figure out my course selection/electives and plan B's/C's/Z's for next year. I am considering American med schools, OOP, pub-health and pharma as backup and need to know where I have a shot to determine my courses this year.

Thanks so much!

I like your EC's. Depending on how "rural" you are (birthplace, work, school, etc) you may have a pretty good rural context scorr for NOSM. They don't require the MCAT anyway. With your current MCAT scores you have no chance with other ontario schools. With a 30+ MCAT you can make yourself competitive for Western, Queens, possibly UofT depending on your wGPA. Ottawa is also out unfortunately.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan are very MCAT heavy, you'd need 33+ for a chance at those places. Alberta requires a 128 on CARS (11VR) for consideration. Calgary requires a 127 (10VR) for consideration. UBC OOP is very tough, your wGPA may be too low. Calculate it and see if it's above 87% for UBC, then you may have a chance (UBC also doesn't care much for MCAT - especially pre interview).

Basically you just need to ace the MCAT and you may very well have a shot.

I like your EC's. Depending on how "rural" you are (birthplace, work, school, etc) you may have a pretty good rural context scorr for NOSM. They don't require the MCAT anyway. With your current MCAT scores you have no chance with other ontario schools. With a 30+ MCAT you can make yourself competitive for Western, Queens, possibly UofT depending on your wGPA. Ottawa is also out unfortunately.

Manitoba and Saskatchewan are very MCAT heavy, you'd need 33+ for a chance at those places. Alberta requires a 128 on CARS (11VR) for consideration. Calgary requires a 127 (10VR) for consideration. UBC OOP is very tough, your wGPA may be too low. Calculate it and see if it's above 87% for UBC, then you may have a chance (UBC also doesn't care much for MCAT - especially pre interview).

Basically you just need to ace the MCAT and you may very well have a shot.

Thanks for all your help bruhh!

You're always so solid on this forum aha.

I'm gonna be this guy: how about the Eastern schools? Just inquiring for the sake of prereqs (although I assume they overlap OOP).

Also my oGPA for UBC is 84.9%... just clinching that cutoff... so maybe in a fifth year aha :P

Thanks for all your help bruhh!

You're always so solid on this forum aha.

I'm gonna be this guy: how about the Eastern schools? Just inquiring for the sake of prereqs (although I assume they overlap OOP).

Also my oGPA for UBC is 84.9%... just clinching that cutoff... so maybe in a fifth year aha :P

Dal would require you had a GPA>3.7 in EACH of your most recent 2 years, plus the equivalent of a 30 MCAT (one 9)

MUN doesn't publish cutoffs, you might as well apply as you are rural, but they have only 5 seats for OOP

Looking for some feedback for Ontario schools (Mac, U of T, Ottawa, Queen's, Western) - OOP. Going into final year of undergraduate studies.

cGPA: 3.90

wGPA: 3.92

Old MCAT 35 - 12 PS 12 VR 11 BIO. Took the new one on the 19th, anticipating lower scores. Since Mac/Western takes your most recent score, not sure if I'll be competitive. Queen's, U of T are cutoffs so I think I'll at least be able to meet those. 

EC's ongoing
-2.5 years, 400+hours club executive (communications /projects director)

-1.5 years, 180 hours peer coach (in topics of wellness)

-1.5 years, 300+ hours research assistant in clinical lab (volunteering to paid position)

-1 year 100+ hours at a chronic pain resource centre

-4 months, 50+ hours QI improvement project 

-3 months, full time studentship with own clinical project. poster, but no pub. potential to publish but will not be for this cycle.

-3 months, 30+ hours, mentor for a vulnerable youth

past

-2 summer research, 200+ hours each

-international experience - 1 week

-smaller volunteer commitments/ roles, varies in length ( 8 months, over reading week, one semester, couple of times a month)- teaching science to kids/facilitating language program etc -  total ~150 hours
-~65 hours data collection for clinical research

Applying this cycle to UBC (IP) and University of Toronto and possibly others though I don't feel I have the stats to do so.

MSc Student (will finish by summer 2016)

cGPA: 87.9% (3.78)

wGPA: Does not qualify

Note the percentage takes into account my graduate grades (since UBC counts them). The cGPA does not (since UT does not).

MCAT: 9 VR, 13 PS, 11 BS, S Writing (This kills my chance at Queens)

MCAT 2015: Did not take

Research (Masters):

1 Second Author paper in a top chemistry journal (Done in coordination with Merck)

1 Second Author paper in a respected chemistry journal

-Will not make UBC cut off, will make UT cutoff (publishing dates)

Productivity: exceptional by university committee (rarely given).

Gave a poster presentation at a national conference (misses UBC cutoff date, not UT's)

Gave a talk at my school (Presentation competition)

Research (Undergraduate)

No papers (Honours research being continued by another undergrad, judging by current progress, no anticipated publications any time soon)

Undergrad thesis

2 NSERC/University summer fellowships

1 semester of paid research

1 semester of volunteer research

Gave a talk at a undergraduate conference (national)

Gave a talk at a undergraduate conference (school)

ECs(ongoing):

Church: Currently a presider at my church, while working all the A/V stuff and lead a youth group. Currently president of my Church club on my campus. Was a piano player previously for 8 years in the church.  Also responsible for planning and setting up our conferences.

Over 3500 hours (Counting hours since ninth grade in high school).

Hospital Desk Volunteer: 450 hours, 3 years

Care home Volunteer: 180 hours, 1 year and 5 months

Graduate Student Society: 8 months, 15 hours (Committee Meetings are called once a semester, I volunteer for 3 committees)

TA work: 2 semesters

ECs(Past):

Volunteering at a tech conference as an exec: 2 years, 400 hours

Small amount of tutoring (paid)

Undergraduate TA (1 semester)

Notetaker (1 semester)

Pharmacy Volunteer 30 hours, 5 months (Stopped because I realised I had no desire to work in a pharmacy)

Founder of a community sustainable strategy (won a award from the city of coquitlam)

Club exec 1 year, around 100 hours

Had some high school stuff that I don't know if I'm going to put in like volunteering at camps, playing in honour bands, science team, etc.

For what it's worth, in 2014, UBC gave me a score of approximately 25/50 without most of my undergrad honours/masters research and a significant number of ECs and awards

Awards:

NSERC CGS M (17500)

NSERC undergrad awards x2 (5650)

Award for Excellence in Organic Chemistry (nominated and awarded by members of the department) (1000)

Graduate Entrance Scholarship (4000)

Scholarship by Christian Scholarship Fund (2000)

Undergraduate Entrance Scholarships (2000 + 5000)

I don't hold much hope for UT since it's a GPA heavy school. UBC I'm a bit more optimistic for.

Any feedback, including other schools to apply to, would be appreciated.

Looking for some feedback for Ontario schools (Mac, U of T, Ottawa, Queen's, Western) - OOP. Going into final year of undergraduate studies.

Old MCAT 35 - 12 PS 12 VR 11 BIO. Took the new one on the 19th, anticipating lower scores. Since Mac/Western takes your most recent score, not sure if I'll be competitive. Queen's, U of T are cutoffs so I think I'll at least be able to meet those. 

EC's ongoing

-1.5 years, 300+ hours research assistant in clinical lab (volunteering to paid position)

-3 months, full time studentship with own clinical project. poster, but no pub. potential to publish but will not be for this cycle.

past

-smaller volunteer commitments/ roles, varies in length ( 8 months, over reading week, one semester, couple of times a month)- teaching science to kids/facilitating language program etc -  total ~150 hours

McGill

MD2015

Thanks for the reply. You are right, the chance of getting back to Canada for residency or practice is not high right now. And it will be even lower in the next couple of years. 

Do you have any information about which degree should I get as the second degree? I prefer to do a short program that has health science courses. 

Thank you again. 

Read this thread:

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/47595-cegepiens-eng-french-who-need-to-choose-an-undergrad-program-leading-to-medicine/

EC's ongoing

past

Out of curiosity, why did you choose to rewrite your MCAT with a 35 and 12 VR?

Everything looks good. Will all depend how you word it on your sketch...