Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

I am very confused as to how GPA is converted on the OSMAS scale. I go to Yorku. So if I wanted to convert to the UofT scale, am I correct in assuming that an A (which is a 3.80 at york) is a 3.9 at UofT? Also york doesn't report grades in percentages which is also confusing.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!  

I am very confused as to how GPA is converted on the OSMAS scale. I go to Yorku. So if I wanted to convert to the UofT scale, am I correct in assuming that an A (which is a 3.80 at york) is a 3.9 at UofT? Also york doesn't report grades in percentages which is also confusing.

Any help is much appreciated, thank you!  

False. An A is a 3.8. You take your letter grades for each course, convert to the appropriate OMSAS grade, tally up your marks, average, and that's your GPA. For example. At  York:

BIOLXXXX(3): A -> 3.8 x1

BIOLXXXX (3): A -> 3.8 x1

CHEMXXXX (3): A+ -> 4.0 x1

CHEMXXXX( 3): A -> 3.8 x1

MATHXXXX (6): A+ -> 4.0 x2

SOSCXXXX (6): A -> 3.8 x 2

HUMAXXXX (6): A+ -> 4.0 x2

this adds up to  39.0 

Divide by 10 (10 courses) and the GPA would be 3.90 for your year.

You DO NOT covert to the scale of the school you are applying for.

False. An A is a 3.8. You take your letter grades for each course, convert to the appropriate OMSAS grade, tally up your marks, average, and that's your GPA. For example. At  York:

BIOLXXXX(3): A -> 3.8 x1

BIOLXXXX (3): A -> 3.8 x1

CHEMXXXX (3): A+ -> 4.0 x1

CHEMXXXX( 3): A -> 3.8 x1

MATHXXXX (6): A+ -> 4.0 x2

SOSCXXXX (6): A -> 3.8 x 2

HUMAXXXX (6): A+ -> 4.0 x2

this adds up to  39.0 

Divide by 10 (10 courses) and the GPA would be 3.90 for your year.

You DO NOT covert to the scale of the school you are applying for.

Ohhhhh. I get it now. Thank you! 

could anyone who has applied before help me out?

i just finished my second year at uottawa, and i want to apply to ottawa this year.

i've been debating for a very long time if i should apply this year, mostly as practice, and i just need some more opinions.

my wGPA is 3.91 (first yr was rough), haven't written the mcat but that doesn't matter for ottawa.

EC's could definitely be a lot better..

volunteer at a few hospitals, community health centres, volunteer as a research assistant, doing individual scientific research in a lab with probable publication soon, and another research project with poster/symposium presentation. awards are an undergraduate research award, deans honour list, entrance scholarship.

haven't had employment during undergrad.. and i really don't have much else for the "other" section on the application. i don't do sports or music or anything.

i am just really confused because i hear that you shouldn't even bother if your GPA isn't over 3.95, but then i hear of people getting interviews with GPA's lower than 3.90.

my dream is to get into ottawa but i don't know if i should bother applying now and be really disappointed, but i also don't want to regret not applying bc you never know what could happen.. 

any insight is appreciated

What are my chances?

Applying to Dalhousie (first choice) and various schools in Ontario (??)

Just finished my third year of university, BSc in Biology and Psychology

4.0 GPA, MCAT (new one) 511 (C/P: 128, CARS: 125, Bio: 128, Psych: 130) 

EC's: Chair of major fundraising campaign at my university (300+ volunteer hours), President of a society, member of medical society, peer mentor to science students, volunteer at IWK hospital, volunteer at local yoga studio, practice yoga in free time, various on campus positions including Orientation Week leader, Summer Orientation Assistant, etc.

Awards/scholarships: over $30,000 in scholarships for academic achievement and achievement within Biology and Psychology faculties

All while maintaining a permanent part time job

Issues: relatively low CARS score, absolutely no research experience, no shadowing experience

What are my chances?

Applying to Dalhousie (first choice) and various schools in Ontario (??)

Just finished my third year of university, BSc in Biology and Psychology

4.0 GPA, MCAT (new one) 511 (C/P: 128, CARS: 125, Bio: 128, Psych: 130) 

EC's: Chair of major fundraising campaign at my university (300+ volunteer hours), President of a society, member of medical society, peer mentor to science students, volunteer at IWK hospital, volunteer at local yoga studio, practice yoga in free time, various on campus positions including Orientation Week leader, Summer Orientation Assistant, etc.

Awards/scholarships: over $30,000 in scholarships for academic achievement and achievement within Biology and Psychology faculties

All while maintaining a permanent part time job

Issues: relatively low CARS score, absolutely no research experience, no shadowing experience

Aec4321 - just wondering, how are you writing down your 'practice yoga in free time' part? I ask because I also love doing yoga. :) 

Congrats on all your scholarships btw. :)

Aec4321 - just wondering, how are you writing down your 'practice yoga in free time' part? I ask because I also love doing yoga. :)

Congrats on all your scholarships btw. :)

Thank you! I haven't decided yet how to include it - I haven't even written my Personal Essay yet because I didn't think my MCAT score would even meet the cut off haha! So talk about stress now

Hello everyone, I am planning to apply to med school this upcoming cycle. I would like to know where I have a chance and where I should apply. Currently I'm looking to apply to: Mac, western, queens, manitoba and saskatchewan.

I finished 2 years of undergrad at uoft

My stats are: 3.81 omsas gpa (upward trend)

decent ecs (nothing extraordinary, but consistent)

writing mcat on the 23rd of september but hopeful for a balanced of >515

Any input will greatly be appreciated

Hello everyone, I am planning to apply to med school this upcoming cycle. I would like to know where I have a chance and where I should apply. Currently I'm looking to apply to: Mac, western, queens, manitoba and saskatchewan.

I finished 2 years of undergrad at uoft

My stats are: 3.81 omsas gpa (upward trend)

decent ecs (nothing extraordinary, but consistent)

writing mcat on the 23rd of september but hopeful for a balanced of >515

Any input will greatly be appreciated

You need to be in your 4th year to apply to western and sask.

The other schools are highly dependent on your MCAT and without details on your ECs I can't say anything about your chances at Queens.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

A bit of a non-traditional applicant as I've been working for a few years, but curious to hear what people think.

GPA: 3.77 (wGPA for U of T 3.88)

MCAT: 520 (C/P-130, CARS-132, Bio-130, PS-128)

I've done a BSc and an MBA from top tier Canadian schools.

Academics: numerous scholarships in undergrad and grad school, including receiving a gold medal for having the highest GPA in my MBA class.

Teaching assistant for 2 chemistry courses and 2 business courses.

Research: summer work in a biochem lab and completed my thesis.

Volunteering: long-term care facility, research volunteer in a psychology lab and am a mentor for university students on an ongoing basis.

I've been working for a while and have management level experience in healthcare consulting, government and the hospital sector.  I'm currently in a senior management position at one of the largest hospitals in Canada.

Numerous conference presentations and as well as continuing exec education through my work life.

I realize my total GPA might be a bit on the "low" side but I'm hoping the rest can make up for it?

Hi everyone,

A bit of a non-traditional applicant as I've been working for a few years, but curious to hear what people think.

Academics: numerous scholarships in undergrad and grad school, including receiving a gold medal for having the highest GPA in my MBA class.

Volunteering: long-term care facility, research volunteer in a psychology lab and am a mentor for university students on an ongoing basis.

I've been working for a while and have management level experience in healthcare consulting, government and the hospital sector.  I'm currently in a senior management position at one of the largest hospitals in Canada.

Numerous conference presentations and as well as continuing exec education through my work life.

I realize my total GPA might be a bit on the "low" side but I'm hoping the rest can make up for it?

Definitely apply to McMaster and Western, U of T. 

I'm not sure if GPA meets Queen's non-published cutoff.

Check GPA weighting for Calgary and Alberta. If >3.8 for Calgary then definitely apply there. Not sure what Alberta's OOP GPA cutoff is (if you are OOP).

Saskatchewan is good as long as your gpa is above their cutoff, same with manitoba.

Look up all of the schools. Your MCAT score helps at a lot of schools, just need to make sure the GPA weighting at individual schools meets their cutoffs.

Hi everyone,

My goodness dude that CARS score is godlike

Hi,

Non-trad here (5th year UG). From Ontario. No rural connections. I come from a pretty competitive program, but I don't think that means anything anymore.

OMSAS GPA: 3.45

Best Two Year: 3.89/conditional acceptance (Western)

Last Two Year: 3.67 (Queen's)

U of T wgpa: 3.7

Ottawa French program wgpa: 3.62

I'm applying to Western, Mac, Queen's, U of T, maybe Ottawa but unlikely, and Alberta (LOL).

Yeah, GPA is no bueno. I'll be in a much better spot next year for best 2 year/last 2 year once I finish my 5th year (provided it's >3.85, which it should/will be).

Rewrote a 29 MCAT to receive

127 (Chem) /128 (CARS) /128 (Bio) /128 (Psych).

I had hoped for a score along the lines of 127/129/129/127 in order to make the Western cut offs, but it is what it is.

EC's are pretty average: volunteering for a few weeks abroad + doing some lab work abroad, founder and head of sustainability chapter on campus, ~50 hours hospital volunteering at several hospitals, semi-competitive sports for >15 years, supervised and ran classes for the younger kids in my sport for >5 years, member/exec of medicine related clubs, completed independent research + thesis, random small-time volunteering gig, working as a clinical research assistant for over 3 years at some high(er) profile studies in my community, tutor for four years. Trilingual, not that it matters.

My plans for this year: I've just gotten a TA position, I'm going to be volunteering at a crisis centre hotline, pushing my thesis research for publication (and continuing it), and trying to find some doctors to shadow. 

I have a pretty strong set of references this year, and I'm sure they'll be even stronger next year.

Question 1: Do I try and retake for Sept 23? Not sure that there are any spots available in ON.

Question 2: What schools should I focus on?

Hi,

Non-trad here (5th year UG). From Ontario. No rural connections. I come from a pretty competitive program, but I don't think that means anything anymore.

OMSAS GPA: 3.45

Best Two Year: 3.89/conditional acceptance (Western)

Last Two Year: 3.67 (Queen's)

U of T wgpa: 3.7

Ottawa French program wgpa: 3.62

I'm applying to Western, Mac, Queen's, U of T, maybe Ottawa but unlikely, and Alberta (LOL).

Yeah, GPA is no bueno. I'll be in a much better spot next year for best 2 year/last 2 year once I finish my 5th year (provided it's >3.85, which it should/will be).

Rewrote a 29 MCAT to receive

127 (Chem) /128 (CARS) /128 (Bio) /128 (Psych).

I had hoped for a score along the lines of 127/129/129/127 in order to make the Western cut offs, but it is what it is.

EC's are pretty average: volunteering for a few weeks abroad + doing some lab work abroad, founder and head of sustainability chapter on campus, ~50 hours hospital volunteering at several hospitals, semi-competitive sports for >15 years, supervised and ran classes for the younger kids in my sport for >5 years, member/exec of medicine related clubs, completed independent research + thesis, random small-time volunteering gig, working as a clinical research assistant for over 3 years at some high(er) profile studies in my community, tutor for four years. Trilingual, not that it matters.

My plans for this year: I've just gotten a TA position, I'm going to be volunteering at a crisis centre hotline, pushing my thesis research for publication (and continuing it), and trying to find some doctors to shadow. 

I have a pretty strong set of references this year, and I'm sure they'll be even stronger next year.

Question 1: Do I try and retake for Sept 23? Not sure that there are any spots available in ON.

Question 2: What schools should I focus on?

I think you have a very solid plan for next year, but this year is a bit of a hard shot. I think you have a very good chance at Western with that MCAT score, don't rewrite it. You can give Mac a shot as well but it's unlikely at this time.

I don't know what the average gpa for the french stream at ottawa is but you can give that a try too. Don't apply to Queens since you don't have the minimum GPA.

Mcat marks are out!

523!! 131/128/132/132

Wish it could have been a bit more balanced (129 in CARS  <_< ) but still ecstatic! What schools should I consider applying to this 3rd year? (do I even have enough time to write the applications?)

R<Py, how are you writing your 5 years of guitar (being self taught - i.e. NOT in a group) in the ABS section? 

And who'll be your verifier for that activity? 

Just wondering cuz i'm in a similar spot. 

R<Py, how are you writing your 5 years of guitar (being self taught - i.e. NOT in a group) in the ABS section? 

And who'll be your verifier for that activity? 

Just wondering cuz i'm in a similar spot. 

No idea actually...? I haven't taken a very hard look at OMSAS yet.