Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Hi!

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on whether I have a shot this year. I am in a coop program so I have an extra year (going into 4th) at uoft.

I am confident in my GPA and MCAT but my ecs I feel are very weak.

Omsas: 3.89

Uoft: 3.97

Queens: 3.92

Ottawa: 3.91

MCAT: 12/11/10

Ecs:

Volunteer research in exercise lab (1sem)

research in basic science lab (1sem)

Nserc basic science (this summer and ongoing)

Research at a hospital (summer of 2013)

1 publication

Founder/exec of social outreach club

Exec of another club

Volunteer at senior home (on/off 3 years)

Scholarship/in course awards at university

And am starting to build up my ecs and volunteering in activities I am interested in for my 2016 application.

Thanks!

Could someone also provide me some more feedback as to the school-specific chances. Concerned whether it is worth to apply this cycle considering my ECs.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Hey guys, just wondering if I can get some feedback on what I have thus for my application:

cGPA: 3.7

*MCAT: not yet written

ECs:

Volunteer at hospital for past 3 years, in various settings (rehabilitation unit, physio, cancer treatment center)

Student athletic therapist for varsity basketball team

Research assistant for a professor of mine (Cardiovascular exercise physiologist)

Volunteer in a physio clinic for 3 years

New student orientation week leader

Starting (this year) a Pre-med society, will be president

*I am currently going into my third year of Kinesiology at UPEI, so I have not written the MCAT yet, but I am studying for it and am writing it in August.  I know I will not be prepared whatsoever due to biting off more than I can chew by getting involved in research this summer, and the fact that I have no organic or bio chem courses under my belt (which I am taking in third year to get an understanding so I can take it again next summer). Any thoughts if I should void my score this summer, or does it really matter for schools to see a bad first score and then a second better score?

As well, my first year I did not take a full course load of 5 courses, and did not make the decision to go for med school until after my first semester of second year (physio is so boring), so I just started taking a full course load of 5 courses in the latter half of my second year.  This prohibits me from applying to a couple of schools for a year, but for those that it does not, will it make my application look weaker than others?

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

Could someone also provide me some more feedback as to the school-specific chances. Concerned whether it is worth to apply this cycle considering my ECs.

Thanks a bunch guys!

You seem to be a strong U of T applicant in my opinion, based on the GPA.  When going through their empasis on EC's, it seems like their taken into account, but not so much as GPA.

Hey guys, just wondering if I can get some feedback on what I have thus for my application:

cGPA: 3.7

*MCAT: not yet written

ECs:

Volunteer at hospital for past 3 years, in various settings (rehabilitation unit, physio, cancer treatment center)

Student athletic therapist for varsity basketball team

Research assistant for a professor of mine (Cardiovascular exercise physiologist)

Volunteer in a physio clinic for 3 years

New student orientation week leader

Starting (this year) a Pre-med society, will be president

*I am currently going into my third year of Kinesiology at UPEI, so I have not written the MCAT yet, but I am studying for it and am writing it in August.  I know I will not be prepared whatsoever due to biting off more than I can chew by getting involved in research this summer, and the fact that I have no organic or bio chem courses under my belt (which I am taking in third year to get an understanding so I can take it again next summer). Any thoughts if I should void my score this summer, or does it really matter for schools to see a bad first score and then a second better score?

As well, my first year I did not take a full course load of 5 courses, and did not make the decision to go for med school until after my first semester of second year (physio is so boring), so I just started taking a full course load of 5 courses in the latter half of my second year.  This prohibits me from applying to a couple of schools for a year, but for those that it does not, will it make my application look weaker than others?

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

You can apply to MUN next year I think, they don't care about super high MCAT scores so see how you do on practice exams. Also their website just says something about improvement being looked favorably upon so there's that. It looks like you'll need to wait another year for Dal though because you need 2 years of 5/5 each semester so unless you did 10 courses in 2nd year you'll need to wait until after you graduate

Hi guys, 

May I actually have some school-specific feedback? as in like where I have a good chance and where it's a long shot.

Thanks

I was in the exact same boat as you - really high GPA and really unbalanced MCAT score (I also had 8VR).  As others mentioned above, you do have a very good shot at securing an Ottawa interview.  But from what I can quickly see, you have a good shot at UBC as well and that's the school that I will be attending. So give it a shot?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Does anyone have any information about how McGill calculates the overall/weighted GPA and how much are GPA and non-academics weighed in the application score for OOP applicants? I can't seem to find any useful information on their website.

Long time lurker, first time caller looking for some feedback if anyone is so inclined :-)

Thanks in advance! :-D

I'm an Alberta resident. 

U of A / U of C GPA: 3.65

cGPA: 3.73 (ugrad)       3.85 (grad - 8.5 FCE)             3.77 for both combined.

Non-science undergrad/Non-trad student so anything with science pre-reqs is out.
Grad degree is completing soon but will not have paper in hand by the deadline so I cannot use my grad GPA as a year until next application cycle.

MCAT: Writing Sept 3. Should be strong in CARS and Psych... I've written the GRE before and scored 90+ percentile on verbal and practice tests for CARS is looking similar. Sciences will be weak. Bio stronger then chem. I predict a train wreck for chem/physics. 

EC/random stuff

In addition to undergrad and grad degree also have a diploma from SAIT (photojournalism)
Undergrad thesis

Graduate thesis

SSHRC Masters award
1 Large scholarship ($10K+)
A couple smaller scholarships

Worked full time through my degrees (incl. management roles)

TA (2 courses)
RA (2 years, multiple projects)

A few publications. One first author publication.

Lots of work in education (5+ years)

Lots of work in violence prevention (5+ years)

Long practicum placements (over 500 hours each) in child welfare and clinical social work
Volunteer work in animal welfare (6+years)

Anything feedback is mucho appreciated!

Hi all,

I am applying this cycle to: U of T, Queen's, Mac, Western, Ottawa, Calgary, U of Alberta, Saskatchewan

I would appreciate your feedback as I have not yet graduated as I was thinking of going back to school to take prereqs for american med schools and to volunteer in a research lab, plus accumulate more ECs. I am now thinking that I should just elect to graduate in this coming October and no longer return to school.

My stats are as follows:

GPA

Ontario   

Western 3.940

Queen's 3.940

McMaster 3.921         

Toronto 3.927         

Ottawa 3.946        

Alberta (OOP)

Calgary 4.000

Edmonton Assume above cutoff (not sure what their conversion scale is)

Saskatchewan (OOP)  

Saskatoon Assume above cutoff (not sure what their conversion scale is)

MCAT 

Writing in September 2015, currently finishing off the last bit of psych/sosc review before reviewing cars. Then going into a targeted review while doing as many practice questions and tests as possible up until my test date.

ECs:

-heavy in leadership (student council for a year, training peers in leadership skills, selected to attend a national sport/leadership forum, another large position without getting too specific)

-heavy in providing unique physical activity programs to underprivileged youth and doing all of the planning, organizing, leading a team, etc. around this

-8 months as a volunteer in a clinical setting, helping individuals with chronic ailments exercise safely

-just under 3 years as a peer mentor

-no research experience

If I went back to school I would volunteer in a research lab, continue to build on my leadership/peer mentoring, continue to build on providing physical activity opportunities and I would get more experience with clinical volunteering.

If I don't go back to school I will have to find employment hopefully in the non-profit or sport sector in an administrative capacity, and continue with volunteering in a clinical setting, as well as community volunteering in sport and potentially other areas. I am doubtful that I would get research experience however as I would hopefully be working full time and with no previous research experience it will be difficult, especially after graduating and no longer being a student.

What should I do? I would really appreciate feedback from all of you and especially those who maybe have similar stats, don't have research experience or maybe have had to apply multiple times before being successful. I am looking to maximize my likelihood of admission and spend the next year in the most productive way I can, as I go through the current application cycle which is my first. Of course, having not gone through the admissions process before, I am not sure exactly how my application will be perceived so that is what I find most concerning when trying to decide how to spend my time during the upcoming year.

Thank you for reading.

freewheeler, my gut would be to add McGill to your list & to graduate sooner than later.

Right now I have not taken english, physics or advanced biochem so I can't apply to the the following schools:

UBC (eng, biochem---don't accept sept 2015 mcat, however they are currently reviewing their science prereqs)

McGill (phys--need prereqs done by January of the year of application but not possible for physics as it is a full year course, unless taken online?)

Manitoba (biochem)

MUN (omitted as only ~5 OOP seats afaik)

Dal (omitted due to no maritime connection for their essay section)

I am going to continue to apply to jobs as a medical office assistant, and other jobs relevant to my experience but a lot of the opportunities I have come across aren't a great match. I'm hoping things open up during August.

EDIT: I calculated my McGill GPA, if they look at all undergraduate courses it would be 3.983, if they only look at fall/winter I would have a 4.000

I would have to have a physics course done before January 15th, 2016 however. I'm also not sure if my ECs would hold up considering ~900 OOP canadians apply for only ~80 interview spots. Might be worth a shot to apply in the next cycle as I am not sure whether I could take an online physics course in order to make that January cutoff as I am still not sure what I'm going to do at all next year.

Dal GPA is 3.94 but their last mcat test date eligible for this cycle is in August so that does not work for me.

Right now I have not taken english, physics or advanced biochem so I can't apply to the the following schools:

UBC (eng, phys, biochem---don't accept sept 2015 mcat, however they are currently reviewing their science prereqs)

McGill (phys--need prereqs done by January of the year of application but not possible for physics as it is a full year course, unless taken online?)

Manitoba (biochem)

MUN (omitted as only ~5 OOP seats afaik)

Dal (omitted due to no maritime connection for their essay section)

I am going to continue to apply to jobs as a medical office assistant, and other jobs relevant to my experience but a lot of the opportunities I have come across aren't a great match. I'm hoping things open up during August.

Several people have posted that they were accepted at Dal with no maritime connection. I forget what they said they wrote in that essay (they like lobster?) but you could track it down in the Dal sub-forum. MUN is definitely worse with that so I agree with your conclusion to not apply there.

Hi everyone. I am IP for UBC and a third year applicant, just wondering about your thoughts on my chances at UBC and if there are any other schools worth applying to.

GPA: 93% for UBC, 3.92 OMSAS

MCAT: just wrote it so no results yet but probably did pretty mediocre on it

ECs:

Work: lifeguard- 3 years, mcdonalds -2 years

Volunteering: thrift store (40 hrs), special needs swimming program (40 hrs), soup kitchen (124 hrs), summer camp leader (175 hrs), canadian cancer society volunter (45 hrs), soccer head coach (1000 hrs), senior home volunteer (30 hrs)

Others: lifeguarding and aquafit certifications (150 hrs), chinese school (1200 hrs), piano (3000 hrs), guitar (300 hrs), summer leadership camp (200 hrs), soccer player (3000 hrs)

Research: clinical psychology volunteer research assistant( 300hrs and a poster+abstract), poster for undergrad class (40 hrs)

Hi everyone. I am IP for UBC and a third year applicant, just wondering about your thoughts on my chances at UBC and if there are any other schools worth applying to.

GPA: 93% for UBC, 3.92 OMSAS

MCAT: just wrote it so no results yet but probably did pretty mediocre on it

ECs:

Work: lifeguard- 3 years, mcdonalds -2 years

Volunteering: thrift store (40 hrs), special needs swimming program (40 hrs), soup kitchen (124 hrs), summer camp leader (175 hrs), canadian cancer society volunter (45 hrs), soccer head coach (1000 hrs), senior home volunteer (30 hrs)

Others: lifeguarding and aquafit certifications (150 hrs), chinese school (1200 hrs), piano (3000 hrs), guitar (300 hrs), summer leadership camp (200 hrs), soccer player (3000 hrs)

Research: clinical psychology volunteer research assistant( 300hrs and a poster+abstract), poster for undergrad class (40 hrs)

Don't be too hard on yourself, after writing the MCAT I was constantly flipping between rage and sorrow for days because I was sure I did horribly and had royally screwed myself, then ended up doing well enough to not have to rewrite. It can be really hard to have a sense for how you did when you're marked relative to everyone else.

Long time lurker, first time caller looking for some feedback if anyone is so inclined :-)

Thanks in advance! :-D

I'm an Alberta resident. 

U of A / U of C GPA: 3.65

cGPA: 3.73 (ugrad)       3.85 (grad - 8.5 FCE)             3.77 for both combined.

Non-science undergrad/Non-trad student so anything with science pre-reqs is out.

Grad degree is completing soon but will not have paper in hand by the deadline so I cannot use my grad GPA as a year until next application cycle.

MCAT: Writing Sept 3. Should be strong in CARS and Psych... I've written the GRE before and scored 90+ percentile on verbal and practice tests for CARS is looking similar. Sciences will be weak. Bio stronger then chem. I predict a train wreck for chem/physics. 

EC/random stuff

In addition to undergrad and grad degree also have a diploma from SAIT (photojournalism)

Undergrad thesis

Graduate thesis

SSHRC Masters award

1 Large scholarship ($10K+)

A couple smaller scholarships

Worked full time through my degrees (incl. management roles)

TA (2 courses)

RA (2 years, multiple projects)

A few publications. One first author publication.

Lots of work in education (5+ years)

Lots of work in violence prevention (5+ years)

Long practicum placements (over 500 hours each) in child welfare and clinical social work

Volunteer work in animal welfare (6+years)

Anything feedback is mucho appreciated!

Hi there, hope your day has been well!

We'll look at things one step at a time....

GPA: Since you are in the >=4yr pool, the average recently has hovered near 3.9, with this year being about 3.92 at the UofA. The UofC average pre-interview for students was about 3.72/3.73, though I don't know about the statistics for matriculants. Based on your GPA, it is well below average for the UofA and slightly below average for the UofC, meaning that your chances are somewhat reduced, especially at the UofA where grades account for 27 out of a potential 70% for pre-interview decisions. I am a little confused since you wrote your UofA/UofC GPA but then go on write your graduate + UG ones... didn't you already do the calculations?

MCAT: Haven't written so it's up in the air. I'm not a believer of potential or speculation since anything can happen to either improve or reduce performance. I would say you want to aim for at least a 127-128 on CARS though to be near the average for applicants at the UofC. Your composite score should aim to be >510 to be among competitive applicants at the UofA. 

EC: clearly at least above average for applicants pre-interview, though the difference may not be as profound post-interview. It's clear you do have some interesting experiences, but it will depend on how well you write about them in your application to really make the difference. To me, this may be your strong point.

Overall, your chances at the UofC are better than the UofA in my opinion, though it's still worth applying to both schools with what you have to give yourself a shot. Again, it really will come down to this MCAT and how well you write the application. If you can get an interview, that already means you have a chance. It doesn't matter if you're first or last place on interview day.... you just need one strong attempt to get a decent chance. Coming in as a fellow non-trad I can understand the tension this process must have ... you can do it =D. You still have some time to prepare so do everything you can to make the MCAT a success.

Good luck,

- G

Is it possible to get into an Ontario medical school with a cGPA of less than 3.9?

Yes! Ottawa weighs last 3 years with more emphasis on recent years, Queen and Western take last 2/best 2 respectively, U of T drops some credits if you have taken a full courseload all semesters, strong verbal and CASPer can easily balance a weak cGPA at Mac, and NOSM will give you +0.2 GPA if you have a completed grad degree. Obviously your chances will be better with a higher cGPA but it's not the end of the world if it drops below 3.9.

I am a 2nd time applicant going into a 5th year UG at UofT and I plan to apply to Western, Queens, Mac, Toronto & Ottawa, possibly Dal and UofS...Hopefully things are a bit better this year.

MCAT (ps/vr/bs): 11 / 9 / 12 (32) - first and only score from summer 2013

ECs: Average in my opinion

• FSWEP Research (2 summers)
  • SickKids Research for (2 yrs) poster presentation, unfortunately a manuscript won't be published in time for this cycle
  • 4th year thesis, 2 poster presentations
  • Club Exec (2yrs)
  • Peer Mentoring (2yrs)
  • Residence Counsil Exec (2yrs)
  • Residence Employment (3yr + ongoing)
  • Piano (11 years)
  • Doctor Shadowing (3 months)
  • a couple university academic awards
  • a couple things from high school that I thought were significant

Western: SWOMEN-status, 2 year OMSAS gpa - 3.84 & 3.94 (3.89 total) hopefully the MCAT prereqs stay the same..

Toronto: wGPA - 3.87 ( possible but unlikely)

Ottawa: IP, wGPA - 3.88 (possible but unlikely)

Queens: IP, Last two year GPA (see western, but doubts becase of MCAT)

Mac: IP, cGPA - 3.58 (highly doubt this)

UofS: OoP % - 83.325%  (lmao just barely passed the 83% OoP prereq)

Dal: OoP wGPA - 3.89

Without a doubt after this fifth year, Id be much more competitive, but I'll just hope for the best.

Thanks for any input :)

I am a 2nd time applicant going into a 5th year UG at UofT and I plan to apply to Western, Queens, Mac, Toronto & Ottawa, possibly Dal and UofS...Hopefully things are a bit better this year.

MCAT (ps/vr/bs): 11 / 9 / 12 (32) - first and only score from summer 2013

ECs: Average in my opinion

• FSWEP Research (2 summers)
  • SickKids Research for (2 yrs) poster presentation, unfortunately a manuscript won't be published in time for this cycle
  • 4th year thesis, 2 poster presentations
  • Club Exec (2yrs)
  • Peer Mentoring (2yrs)
  • Residence Counsil Exec (2yrs)
  • Residence Employment (3yr + ongoing)
  • Piano (11 years)
  • Doctor Shadowing (3 months)
  • a couple university academic awards
  • a couple things from high school that I thought were significant

Western: SWOMEN-status, 2 year OMSAS gpa - 3.84 & 3.94 (3.89 total) hopefully the MCAT prereqs stay the same..

Toronto: wGPA - 3.87 ( possible but unlikely)

Ottawa: IP, wGPA - 3.88 (possible but unlikely)

Queens: IP, Last two year GPA (see western, but doubts becase of MCAT)

Mac: IP, cGPA - 3.58 (highly doubt this)

UofS: OoP % - 83.325%  (lmao just barely passed the 83% OoP prereq)

Dal: OoP wGPA - 3.89

Without a doubt after this fifth year, Id be much more competitive, but I'll just hope for the best.

Thanks for any input :)

I think you have a great chance at Western for this year.

Hello fellow hopefuls, 

I have a very unusual GPA trend that I can explain is due to financial problems in my early UG (first 3 years) but I changed my focus for the last two years and was determined to finish strong. However, I am not sure if I will be competitive enough to be invited or accepted into any Canadian medical schools. I am aware of the B2Y/R2Y schools, but I still feel inadequate. 

GPA

Y1: 1.8

Y2: 2.07

Y3: 2.75

Y4: 3.93

Y5: 3.87

MCAT

13/11/13

ECs

- ER volunteer 400 hrs 

- Research ( no pubs) -150 hrs

- leadership position in social issues group 

- crisis and distress centre volunteer 500 hrs

- campus emergency first responder - 360 hrs 

I just want to know how the premed community feels about my application and how I would be able to improve my chances. Thanks 

Hello fellow hopefuls, 

I have a very unusual GPA trend that I can explain is due to financial problems in my early UG (first 3 years) but I changed my focus for the last two years and was determined to finish strong. However, I am not sure if I will be competitive enough to be invited or accepted into any Canadian medical schools. I am aware of the B2Y/R2Y schools, but I still feel inadequate. 

GPA

Y1: 1.8

Y2: 2.07

Y3: 2.75

Y4: 3.93

Y5: 3.87

MCAT

13/11/13

ECs

- ER volunteer 400 hrs 

- Research ( no pubs) -150 hrs

- leadership position in social issues group 

- crisis and distress centre volunteer 500 hrs

- campus emergency first responder - 360 hrs 

I just want to know how the premed community feels about my application and how I would be able to improve my chances. Thanks 

You'll probably interview at Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Both love high MCATs and have really high acceptance rates post-interview. Based on last year's MCAT cutoff for Western, you'll get an interview there too. I'm pretty sure those schools look at GPA from past 2 years.

You'll probably interview at Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Both love high MCATs and have really high acceptance rates post-interview. Based on last year's MCAT cutoff for Western, you'll get an interview there too. I'm pretty sure those schools look at GPA from past 2 years.

Wow really, I didn't even consider Saskatchewan or Manitoba, but that would make me OOP for those schools. Do you think it would be too much of a stretch for Queens or any other Ontario schools ?

Hi there, hope your day has been well!

We'll look at things one step at a time....

GPA: Since you are in the >=4yr pool, the average recently has hovered near 3.9, with this year being about 3.92 at the UofA. The UofC average pre-interview for students was about 3.72/3.73, though I don't know about the statistics for matriculants. Based on your GPA, it is well below average for the UofA and slightly below average for the UofC, meaning that your chances are somewhat reduced, especially at the UofA where grades account for 27 out of a potential 70% for pre-interview decisions. I am a little confused since you wrote your UofA/UofC GPA but then go on write your graduate + UG ones... didn't you already do the calculations?

MCAT: Haven't written so it's up in the air. I'm not a believer of potential or speculation since anything can happen to either improve or reduce performance. I would say you want to aim for at least a 127-128 on CARS though to be near the average for applicants at the UofC. Your composite score should aim to be >510 to be among competitive applicants at the UofA. 

EC: clearly at least above average for applicants pre-interview, though the difference may not be as profound post-interview. It's clear you do have some interesting experiences, but it will depend on how well you write about them in your application to really make the difference. To me, this may be your strong point.

Overall, your chances at the UofC are better than the UofA in my opinion, though it's still worth applying to both schools with what you have to give yourself a shot. Again, it really will come down to this MCAT and how well you write the application. If you can get an interview, that already means you have a chance. It doesn't matter if you're first or last place on interview day.... you just need one strong attempt to get a decent chance. Coming in as a fellow non-trad I can understand the tension this process must have ... you can do it =D. You still have some time to prepare so do everything you can to make the MCAT a success.

Good luck,

- G

Thanks for the response, much appreciated! I did do the calculations for U of C. I just put the general ones there in case there was an OOP school I should look at :)