Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

why uAlberta, uSaskatchenwan and uManitoba are out? Thanks.

All three schools are incredibly competitive for OOP. The general consensus is you need a near 4.0 GPA to have a decent chance, especially at UofA where the IP average is >3.90. However, there's no harm in applying if you don't mind the added expense. I just couldn't, in good conscience, say it's worth it.

It'd be really nice if there was a spreadsheet where you could type in your individual course grades, checklist for EC's, MCAT score and specify province of residence and have a readout of where chances are high vs competitive vs low vs don't bother.

I know someone SDN made on for US schools, how feasible would it be for ~15 Canadian schools while keeping in mind GPA/MCAT cutoffs + prereqs + ECs...

It'd be really nice if there was a spreadsheet where you could type in your individual course grades, checklist for EC's, MCAT score and specify province of residence and have a readout of where chances are high vs competitive vs low vs don't bother.

I know someone SDN made on for US schools, how feasible would it be for ~15 Canadian schools while keeping in mind GPA/MCAT cutoffs + prereqs + ECs...

I've only ever seen spread sheets that compile statistics based on ethnicity, MCAT score, and GPA for American schools. This could, in theory, be just as easily done for Canadian schools. Unfortunately, not every school releases this information to the general public.

I would appreciate it very much if someone could give me input on my chances, I have a fairly good idea where my chances lie though..

I am a first time applicant going into 4th year UG at UofT and I plan to apply to Western, Queens, Mac, Toronto & Ottawa...I think my main chance is Western though which is perfectly fine since it's my top choice.

MCAT (ps/vr/bs): 11 / 9 / 12 (32) - first and only score from summer 2013

ECs: Average in my opinion

• FSWEP Research (2 summers)
  • SickKids Research for (1.5 yrs), abstract accepted and poster presentation, unfortunately the manuscript won't be published in time for this cycle
  • 4th year thesis
  • Club Exec (1yr + ongoing)
  • Peer Mentoring (2yrs + ongoing)
  • Residence Counsil Exec (2yrs)
  • Residence Employment (1yr + ongoing)
  • Piano (11 years)
  • Doctor Shadowing (3 months)
  • a couple university academic awards
  • a couple things from high school that I thought were significant

Western: SWOMEN-status, 2 year OMSAS gpa - 3.84 & 3.81 (3.825 total)

Queens: IP, Last two year GPA (see western)

Mac: IP, cGPA - 3.58

Toronto: wGPA - 3.77

Ottawa: IP, wGPA - 3.64

Thanks for any input :)

I would appreciate it very much if someone could give me input on my chances, I have a fairly good idea where my chances lie though..

I am a first time applicant going into 4th year UG at UofT and I plan to apply to Western, Queens, Mac, Toronto & Ottawa...I think my main chance is Western though which is perfectly fine since it's my top choice.

• SickKids Research for (1.5 yrs), abstract accepted and poster presentation, unfortunately the manuscript won't be published in time for this cycle
  • 4th year thesis
  • Piano (11 years)

Unfortunately, based on the information you have provided, you have essentially no chance at UofT or Ottawa. Your GPA is way below average. Definitely apply to Queen's, Western, and McMaster.

I mentioned I was SWOMEN in my post, however, I apologize  if I posted it in a place that's less noticeable.

I'd say your only chance this cycle is Western (I hate the whole SWOMEN thing so much hahahah, like it's my fault I was born in Toronto). You'll have an interview there 100%. After that it's all about how you do at the interview. So kill it and you're in.

If it doesn't work out consider a 5th year to knock out some of your earlier GPA years.

Yeah, I was thinking the same as well.

Although I already have a Master's planned if it doesn't work out this cycle.

Grad school won't help your GPA.

Unless you hit a 4.0+ (haha) this year you're out of the running for UofT and Ottawa.

9 VR eats you at Mac and Queens.

Leaving you at Western again.

I'd consider the special year, but definitely apply to the MSc.

• 4th year thesis
  • Piano (11 years)

Most of this has been covered already, but I'll reiterate:

For this cycle:

U of T and Ottawa are out due to GPA.

Queen's is out due to MCAT (VR score is 1 too low).

Mac is almost certainly out due to cGPA/VR combo. A cGPA of 3.58 can be overcome with a high VR & CASPer, just as a VR of 9 can be overcome with a high cGPA & CASPer, but a strong CASPer alone probably won't be enough on its own.

At Western you just meet the cutoffs because you're SWOMEN, but that means you will almost certainly get an interview.

For future cycles:

U of T is probably out until you do grad work. A strong fourth year GPA would help significantly as well, but probably wouldn't be enough on its own.

Ottawa is also out unless you have a stellar fourth year. A 4.0 in your final year, if I understand your mark breakdown correctly, would just put you in the competitive area for their GPA.

Your chances at Mac will go up significantly with a strong fourth year, though an MCAT rewrite may be required as well. Queen's will almost certainly require an MCAT rewrite. It'll be up to you to decide whether to risk your current score, which should get you an interview at Western, for a shot at these other, less predictable schools.

What you should do this year:

Fight for the highest GPA you can get. Apply for your Master's, but keep in mind that a fifth year might be more beneficial depending on how your fourth year goes. A strong fourth year might make a fifth less useful. Apply to Western for sure, and consider applying to Mac - you probably won't get in at Mac, but writing the CASPer as prep for future cycles can be beneficial and it doesn't require much work to apply to Mac. Keep your fingers crossed for Western - you should get an interview and you're SWOMEN so that means you always have a decent chance of getting in.

Thank you all for your limitless wisdom, it is very much appreciated. :)

I never considered the fifth year but now it's on my radar. If I get 4.0 in fourth year,  Ottawa wGPA becomes 3.91. UofT wGPA becomes 3.88 and would be viable with a MSc. My main goal is still Western however.

I'll try my best this year although it'll be difficult to achieve 4.0 at UofT haha.

Hey everyone,

I need an honest answer...please.

I have:

1 yr= 3.12

2nd= 3.5

3rd= 4.00

4th= hopefully a 3.8

I have ok ECs. A lot of research; presentations, employment, tutoring, conferences, internships, travel volunteer trips.

What are my chances and where should I apply?

I am an IP for Ontario.

How can I improve my app? maybe a fifth year or a masters?

Lastly, i did want to mention i failed a tough math course in 1st year and have gotten 2 Cs (stats and a random course) overall one in first and and second in second year. I also got 2 Ds in two summer school courses after first year (orgo)....bad summer with family issues. 

I know my cGPA may be ok to some schools but how much will these marks damage my chances?

Thank you

Hey everyone,

I need an honest answer...please.

I have:

1 yr= 3.12

2nd= 3.5

3rd= 4.00

4th= hopefully a 3.8

I have ok ECs. A lot of research; presentations, employment, tutoring, conferences, internships, travel volunteer trips.

What are my chances and where should I apply?

I am an IP for Ontario.

How can I improve my app? maybe a fifth year or a masters?

Lastly, i did want to mention i failed a tough math course in 1st year and have gotten 2 Cs (stats and a random course) overall one in first and and second in second year. I also got 2 Ds in two summer school courses after first year (orgo)....bad summer with family issues. 

I know my cGPA may be ok to some schools but how much will these marks damage my chances?

Thank you

Assuming you are applying In province some more information would be useful to people deciding on this threat such as:

1.) Have you taken the MCAT? What were your scores? (If your scores were > (PS/VR/BS) (9/11/12), your best 2 years if applying conditional on a >3,7 4th year could make you a competitive applicant with our 4.0 in your third year)

2.) Did take a full term worth of courses every year? (if so U of T drops your worst courses and doesn't count your failed grades I believe, Queens will looked at your best 2 years, a good 4th year will give you that)

A lot of this is contingent on you having taken full course load though.

Certain schools will not include summer courses in their marking schemes (I believe, and people can correct me on this since I'm new here - Queens, Western and U of T, only Mac seems to need it). 

The only one to me that seems like it could potentially be out is McMaster since they look at everything you've done, and the failed courses and D's will show up on your GPA

Assuming you are applying In province some more information would be useful to people deciding on this threat such as:

1.) Have you taken the MCAT? What were your scores? (If your scores were > (PS/VR/BS) (9/11/12), your best 2 years if applying conditional on a >3,7 4th year could make you a competitive applicant with our 4.0 in your third year)

2.) Did take a full term worth of courses every year? (if so U of T drops your worst courses and doesn't count your failed grades I believe, Queens will looked at your best 2 years, a good 4th year will give you that)

A lot of this is contingent on you having taken full course load though.

Certain schools will not include summer courses in their marking schemes (I believe, and people can correct me on this since I'm new here - Queens, Western and U of T, only Mac seems to need it). 

The only one to me that seems like it could potentially be out is McMaster since they look at everything you've done, and the failed courses and D's will show up on your GPA

Hey

Thank you for the response. I have taken a full course load every year. 

For my MCAT I do not have the scores yet but I am hoping for what you asked if not then i try again until i get those scores. 

Also does this mean I will not be able to apply to western or queens in 4th year because i believe they do not look at the year you are applying in...my gpa of fourth year will not be considered?

In addition, how are my chances to get the interview at these schools estimating that I get those scores? Am I competitive enough?

Lastly, does it look bad if you take the MCAT more than once?

Hey

Thank you for the response. I have taken a full course load every year.

For my MCAT I do not have the scores yet but I am hoping for what you asked if not then i try again until i get those scores.

Also does this mean I will not be able to apply to western or queens in 4th year because i believe they do not look at the year you are applying in...my gpa of fourth year will not be considered?

In addition, how are my chances to get the interview at these schools estimating that I get those scores? Am I competitive enough?

Lastly, does it look bad if you take the MCAT more than once?

I don't really like to speculate, but let's assume for now that you get a competitive MCAT score. You can apply to Western with only one year above the cut-off, they will just require your fourth year to meet the GPA cut-off if you're conditionally accepted. Queen's will use your cGPA first and then if you don't meet the cut-off, they'll consider your L2GPA. Your cGPA is competitive though, so I would definitely apply.

If you get that 'ideal' MCAT score, you're guaranteed an interview at Western. Queen's and McMaster will depend on your ECs/references and CASPer.

You won't be competitive for UofT or Ottawa.

I don't really like to speculate, but let's assume for now that you get a competitive MCAT score. You can apply to Western with only one year above the cut-off, they will just require your fourth year to meet the GPA cut-off if you're conditionally accepted. Queen's will use your cGPA first and then if you don't meet the cut-off, they'll consider your L2GPA. Your cGPA is competitive though, so I would definitely apply.

If you get that 'ideal' MCAT score, you're guaranteed an interview at Western. Queen's and McMaster will depend on your ECs/references and CASPer.

You won't be competitive for UofT or Ottawa.

Hey Thank you for the response. But why will i not be competitive for UofT or Ottawa? And How would i be able to increase my chances at these schools?

Hey Thank you for the response. But why will i not be competitive for UofT or Ottawa? And How would i be able to increase my chances at these schools?

You would need a wGPA of ~3.90 to be competitive, in that regard, at UofT and Ottawa. Unless you did a graduate degree, then you would be more competitive for UofT. However, I wouldn't recommend that.

Hey, wondering what my chances are based on these stats:

Ontario resident (Ottawa, non-rural)

First year GPA: 3.96

Second year GPA: 3.51 (oops)

Third year GPA: 3.94

Fourth year GPA: 4.0

cGPA: 3.85

Worst year removed: 3.97

Best 2 years: 3.98

Last 2 years: 3.97

OttawaU wGPA: 3.90

UofT wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 35R (11BS, 13PS, 11VR)

Extracurriculars include:

intramural sports (hockey, ultimate, soccer)

3 summers of research

1 honours research project

1-2 publications on the way (confirmed)

1 year as an exec member of my department's student government

1 potential publication

1 year tutoring (as part of an organization)

1 semester tutoring (by myself)

hospital volunteering

volunteering at an after-school program for middle/high school students

high school sports

high school band

Couple summer jobs during high school and university

music training (piano, trumpet, guitar, bass) for basically my entire life

member of orientation staff for freshmen

a few academic awards and scholarships

other minor stuff that's not as important

I'm thinking of applying to pretty much every school in Canada. Thoughts?

Hey, wondering what my chances are based on these stats:

Ontario resident (Ottawa, non-rural)

First year GPA: 3.96

Second year GPA: 3.51 (oops)

Third year GPA: 3.94

Fourth year GPA: 4.0

cGPA: 3.85

Worst year removed: 3.97

Best 2 years: 3.98

Last 2 years: 3.97

OttawaU wGPA: 3.90

UofT wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 35R (11BS, 13PS, 11VR)

Extracurriculars include:

intramural sports (hockey, ultimate, soccer)

3 summers of research

1 honours research project

1-2 publications on the way (confirmed)

1 year as an exec member of my department's student government

1 potential publication

1 year tutoring (as part of an organization)

1 semester tutoring (by myself)

hospital volunteering

volunteering at an after-school program for middle/high school students

high school sports

high school band

Couple summer jobs during high school and university

music training (piano, trumpet, guitar, bass) for basically my entire life

member of orientation staff for freshmen

a few academic awards and scholarships

other minor stuff that's not as important

I'm thinking of applying to pretty much every school in Canada. Thoughts?

Did you applied last cycle? If yes, how did it go? If not, why not applied last cycle?

My 2cents (based on your ECs,assumed full courses load each year):

Ottawa - Yes, residence, 3.9 wGPA

Toronto- Yes, 3.97 wGPA, MCAT 35

Queen's- Yes, L2GPA 3.97, MCAT 35

McMaster-Yes, IP, cGPA 3.85, VR 11

Western- Yes, B2GPA 3.98, MCAT 35

If I're you, I'll only apply OMSAS, 5 schools above.

Focus on writing the Best application.

Start to practice interview and MMI and Casper for McMaster.

Unless these schools rejected you last cycle pre-interview.

Hey all! I've lurked for a long time and read others' posts, but figured it might be time to get some opinions on my own application.

I don't feel like I'm exactly a traditional applicant, but I'm still an undergraduate student so I'm not quite non-traditional. I'm a business major at UBC (marketing student) - so a BC resident. My GPA breakdown (according to UBC's GPA equivalency table):

1st year - 4.00 [Full course load, Dean's list standing]

2nd year - 4.20 [Very light part-time course load]

3rd year - 3.70 [Full course load]

4th year - 3.85 [Full course load]

5th year - 3.90 [Full course load]

(I only took four courses in second year while dealing with health issues. Will I basically be disqualified for that? Also I did those first two years in arts (though I took all of the first-year med school pre-reqs in first year (gen chem, bio, with labs), and then transferred into business at the end of my second year. I had appendicitis during the December exams in my 3rd year so I had to write three exams 8 months after I was supposed to (had SDs those months), which - I believe - hurt my GPA that year.)

Most of my ECs were really business-oriented (because I was in business school, after all) :

- Creative executive for one club for two years 

- VP marketing for another for one year 

- Liaison for a mentorship program

- Volunteer at a student-run café for one semester 

- Photographer for a part of the service council 

- Volunteer at an immunization clinic for infants (babies) for over a year

* ETA: I don't know if it matters, but I'm also a freelance photographer and have shot and filmed several weddings.

I don't know my MCAT score yet (it's supposed to come out Sept. 23rd) but I predict around VR 13, BS 10, PS 9 (low-ball average of AAMC practice tests).

I don't know if it matters, but I did a lot of charity work in high school (Habitat for Humanity, GK777, PAWS - all in the Philippines) and participated more in theatre productions (mostly promotion, poster design, set design - for four musicals throughout high school). I was a varsity badminton player for three years. I've played tennis my whole life, but I don't have a referee for that (my mom taught me all I know). I've also played the piano for eight years, but again no referee (very out of touch with my piano teacher from seven years ago).

I had to work one summer (2011) to catch up on tuition payments, and I haven't gotten into research. (I contacted a number of profs, but the running theme was "what good will a business student be?", although phrased much more subtly.)

I feel like I'm not at all competitive...

* ETA: This doesn't make a difference if I can't make it past the "round" (so to speak) at UBC, but I have stellar references.