Premed 101 Forums

FAQ: What are my chances?

Did you applied last cycle? If yes, how did it go? If not, why not applied last cycle?

My 2cents (based on your ECs,assumed full courses load each year):

Ottawa - Yes, residence, 3.9 wGPA

Toronto- Yes, 3.97 wGPA, MCAT 35

Queen's- Yes, L2GPA 3.97, MCAT 35

McMaster-Yes, IP, cGPA 3.85, VR 11

Western- Yes, B2GPA 3.98, MCAT 35

If I're you, I'll only apply OMSAS, 5 schools above.

Focus on writing the Best application.

Start to practice interview and MMI and Casper for McMaster.

Unless these schools rejected you last cycle pre-interview.

Unfortunately, I did apply last year to those all those schools and got rejected pre-interview. The feedback seemed to be that my ECs were not good enough. Since last year my GPA has improved dramatically (that 4.0 helped a lot), and I've added some ECs (including the publications, and some clubs).

Unfortunately, I did apply last year to those all those schools and got rejected pre-interview. The feedback seemed to be that my ECs were not good enough. Since last year my GPA has improved dramatically (that 4.0 helped a lot), and I've added some ECs (including the publications, and some clubs).

As Dr. Octavius pointed out, you got rejected pre-interview last year at Western due to your BS score. There's no harm in applying again this year, but it may very well stay the same.

The fact you got rejected pre-interview at all your other choices says either you need to sell yourself better, or there was a red flag somewhere. You likely won't benefit from applying to every school in Canada, instead I'd say to keep that list a reasonable size (i.e. five schools) and really work on those applications. Get peers to read and edit them, and make sure your references are solid.

As Dr. Octavius pointed out, you got rejected pre-interview last year at Western due to your BS score. There's no harm in applying again this year, but it may very well stay the same.

The fact you got rejected pre-interview at all your other choices says either you need to sell yourself better, or there was a red flag somewhere. You likely won't benefit from applying to every school in Canada, instead I'd say to keep that list a reasonable size (i.e. five schools) and really work on those applications. Get peers to read and edit them, and make sure your references are solid.

Yeah, I found it strange. I mean, I knew that my chances of getting in were really slim, but I was pretty disappointed to not even get an interview. Stranger yet, I had a high school friend who was in the exact same program at the exact same university as me, but with better ECs and much higher grades (mid to high ~3.9 cGPA), and a slightly lower MCAT (33-34). Even she didn't get a single interview, and she applied to just about every Canadian school. Just goes to show the unpredictability of the med school application process.

Hey Everyone, 

I'd really appreciate some feedback on my application and information on where to apply. I've done a lot of lurking and research and have a list myself but was wondering what other knowledgeable people thought as well. 

IP: BC, I go to UBC

GPA:

UBC percentile 90%

osmas gpa: 3.87

Pretty consistent for the past 3 years

MCAT: 33, PS 12, VR 11 , BS 10  

ECs: 

3 years Retail employment

2 years research volunteering ~ 300 hrs (no pubs)

1.5+ years hospital volunteering 100+ hrs

club exec 3 years 

then small stuff like hobbies and sports

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I found it strange. I mean, I knew that my chances of getting in were slim, but I was pretty disappointed to not even get an interview. Stranger yet, I had a high school friend who was in the exact same program at the exact same university as me, but with better ECs and much higher grades (mid to high ~3.9 cGPA), but a slightly lower MCAT (33-34). Even she didn't get a single interview. Just goes to show the unpredictability of the med school application process.

I know no one wants to hear this, and it's unfortunate to say, but anyone who's committed to pursuing medicine could get a competitive GPA, MCAT, and decent ECs. Those things, on their own, won't make you stand out. Alternatively, not having those things guarantees that you're never going to 'get through the front door,' as it were. However, with those things in mind, you need to tailor your entire application to convince adcoms that you belong in medicine. That you have all the qualities they're looking for, and that your medical education will benefit the community. It's pedantic, but you need to sell yourself like you have something no one else has.

Yeah, I found it strange. I mean, I knew that my chances of getting in were really slim, but I was pretty disappointed to not even get an interview. Stranger yet, I had a high school friend who was in the exact same program at the exact same university as me, but with better ECs and much higher grades (mid to high ~3.9 cGPA), and a slightly lower MCAT (33-34). Even she didn't get a single interview, and she applied to just about every Canadian school. Just goes to show the unpredictability of the med school application process.

Believe me it's nuts. The only thing keeping me from offing myself is the people I know with better CVs than me who didn't get an interview anywhere either. Stories like yours help me sleep at night (sorry to say hahah). Just gotta keep reapplying, I'm taking 2 years off for grad school to relax and pursue an interest in research. Then reapply next summer for a hopefully more positive interview response. Reapply till you die.

I am an IP for Ontario.

Cumulative GPA = 3.99

1st Year = 3.99

2nd Year = 3.97

3rd Year = 4.00

4th Year = Entering in Sept 2014

MCAT = PS 14 / VR 10 / BS 11

ECs:

I am not really sure what can go into this section? Do hobbies such as sports and music count? If so,

- 10 years Guitar

- 6 years Drums

- 16 years Taekwondo

- Summer Research (NSERC USRA) --> no publications, but got an abstract to a conference (3rd author)

- Volunteer Research during school year --> no publications

- Science Student Committee

- 3 or 4 academic scholarships

- Intramural Sports

During Highschool:

- Private tutoring for 3 years

- Hospital volunteering every summer

- Sports teams

What are my chances and where should I apply?

Thank you

That is an amazing GPA! You should be extremely proud!

The only place I see that you would have trouble is Western, where the cut offs have been (PS/VR/BS) (9/11/12), the Bio cut offs may come down, but the Verbal has historically been 11 for a while so you likely won't gain an interview here.

McMaster only looks at you Verbal for the MCAT and most people who interview there are in the 10-11 range (most in 11). Your high GPA (again well above their average) will help you a lot in that respect though, and if you do well on the CASPer there is no reason why you shouldn't get an interview.

Queens, you have a great GPA well above their average, and above their rumoured 32 cut off, meaning you should get an interview, with that said they value EC's quite a bit and you have varied EC's ranging from music, research, and sports. I can't really comment on how great your EC's are, I'll leave that to other more experienced premed101ers to be the judge of that.

University of Toronto, your GPA is amazing and will help you quite a bit, you are well above their MCAT cut offs. Having a research publication is not a must but would help boost your application. You need to make sure your essays are well written, your referees are well selected and can speak about your personality/community service/academic and non-academic clusters, and I don't see why you shouldn't gain an interview with them. (Again your GPA will make you quite competitive with U of T)

Ottawa - Your GPA makes you competitive here, although I believe your EC's have to shine as well (but again I can't speak to this aspect of your application). 

NOSM - Unless you live/have lived in a rural area or have ties to rural area, wouldn't really bother applying here.

Hope this helps a bit! With your stats, I don't see why you wouldn't gain an interview almost anywhere (minus Western/NOSM) given you can jump through the rest of the hurdles (CASPer, LOR, ABS, Essays, etc). 

I have posted before, but now I have my most recent MCAT score.

I am a 4th year applicant in Ontario looking to apply at all Ontario schools except NOSM. I will still need to take organic chemistry in order to apply to Ottawa. 

I wrote the MCAT for the first time in August 2013 > scored 12PS/8VR/12BS. VR is not my strongest area so I practised quite a bit and I rewrote in July.

Most Recent MCAT......10PS,10VR,10BS = 30 total

I have a full course load every year thus far

cGPA = 3.85

1st year GPA = 3.69
2nd year GPA = 3.95
3rd year GPA = 3.92 

McMaster cGPA = 3.85 
Queen’s 2 yr = 3.94
Western 2 yr = 3.94
Ottawa weighted GPA = 3.89 

EC's:

Law Enforcement
-Police Auxiliary Constable (500 hours). I would like to hope that this will make me stand out. I have dozen's of points to discuss during an interview

Healthcare
-Emergency Department Volunteer (~1000 hours)- I also help hire/coordinate/train volunteers between my university and local healthcare system. I’ll have a strong reference from an RN 
-Critical Care Student Leader during hospital move 
-Emergency Department Quality Improvement student on an interdisciplinary health care team

Employment
-Front Desk Clerk for 5 years at a large hotel

Research 
-Presented a poster on Emergency Department Flow (1st author) at a Health Quality Conference. The poster was also put on display during a Medical Student research day as the 2nd/3rd authors are med students.

Awards
- Ontario Police Fitness PIN

- 3 awards from the health system in my area for leadership

- Commendation for Police stuff

- Volunteer Hours Recognition

- Dean's List/Entrance scholarship

University 
-Mentored 2 first year students

-Wrote for a health magazine (2 years and 2 articles)
-Blood Drive

Sports
-Coached soccer and hockey for 3 years
-Soccer Referee for 8 years - doing high level games 
-Played Competitive Tennis for 2 years 
-Medical Trainer for 2 years on a U18 boys competitive team 

Other

-Tutored high school kids for 2 years
-Helped organize a used phone drive to send cell phones to medical workers in Africa 
-Volunteered for a public lecture held by a medical school 
-Shadowed a general surgeon

-------References are a RN, a professor and a police officer

Sorry for the long post, but my MCAT score was less than I had hoped for and I need to carefully determine if med school is within reach

Thanks for any feedback

I have posted before, but now I have my most recent MCAT score.

I am a 4th year applicant in Ontario looking to apply at all Ontario schools except NOSM. I will still need to take organic chemistry in order to apply to Ottawa. 

I wrote the MCAT for the first time in August 2013 > scored 12PS/8VR/12BS. VR is not my strongest area so I practised quite a bit and I rewrote in July.

Most Recent MCAT......10PS,10VR,10BS = 30 total

I have a full course load every year thus far

cGPA = 3.85

1st year GPA = 3.69

2nd year GPA = 3.95

3rd year GPA = 3.92 

McMaster cGPA = 3.85 

Queen’s 2 yr = 3.94

Western 2 yr = 3.94

Ottawa weighted GPA = 3.89 

EC's:

Law Enforcement

-Ontario Provincial Police Auxiliary Constable (500 hours). I would like to hope that this will make me stand out. I have dozen's of points to discuss during an interview

Healthcare

-Emergency Department Volunteer (~1000 hours)- I also help hire/coordinate/train volunteers between my university and local healthcare system. I’ll have a strong reference from an RN 

-Critical Care Student Leader during hospital move 

-Emergency Department Quality Improvement student on an interdisciplinary health care team

Employment

-Front Desk Clerk for 5 years at a large hotel in a tourist city

Research 

-Presented a poster on Emergency Department Flow (1st author) at a Health Quality Conference. The poster was also put on display during a Medical Student research day as the 2nd/3rd authors are med students.

Awards

- Ontario Police Fitness PIN

- 3 awards from the health system in my area for leadership

- Commendation for Police stuff

- Volunteer Hours Recognition

- Dean's List/Entrance scholarship

University 

-Mentored 2 first year students

-Wrote for a health magazine (2 years and 2 articles)

-Blood Drive

Sports

-Coached soccer and hockey for 3 years

-Soccer Referee for 8 years - doing high level games 

-Played Competitive Tennis for 2 years 

-Medical Trainer for 2 years on a U18 boys competitive team 

Other

-Tutored high school kids for 2 years

-Helped organize a used phone drive to send cell phones to medical workers in Africa 

-Volunteered for a public lecture held by a medical school 

-Shadowed a general surgeon

-------References are a RN, a professor and a police officer

Sorry for the long post, but my MCAT score was less than I had hoped for and I need to carefully determine if med school is within reach

Thanks for any feedback

Definitely apply to Ottawa, UofT, Queen's, and McMaster.  There's no harm in applying to McGill as well, if you have a strong pGPA. 

It's not worth it to apply to Western, your MCAT isn't near the cut-offs. 

Definitely apply to Ottawa, UofT, Queen's, and McMaster.  There's no harm in applying to McGill as well, if you have a strong pGPA. 

It's not worth it to apply to Western, your MCAT isn't near the cut-offs. 

Those are the schools I thought I might be competitive for. I would have a pGPA somewhere in the 3.9's, but unfortunately, McGill is off my list this year because I require 1 more physics credit with lab. 

Thanks for the suggestions.

Hello,

I would appreciate an assessment of my profile. I completed my undergrad (5 years) in April and am currently enrolled in a 1 year Master's program. 

wGPA UofT - 3.87

wGPA Western - 3.95

wGPA Queen's - 3.85

wGPA Ottawa - 3.85

MCAT:

1st Attempt -- 9/10/10

2nd Attempt -- 12/12/12

EC's:

I believe they're well-rounded. Lots of employment, ECs, research, and awards.

This process is so competitive its crazy. A few years ago I would have considered my application to be strong but looking at the stats on this forum freaks me out haha. Since when did a 3.7 not become competitive? I'd appreciate honest but constructive responses. Thank you for all of your time!

Hello,

I would appreciate an assessment of my profile. I completed my undergrad (5 years) in April and am currently enrolled in a 1 year Master's program. 

wGPA UofT - 3.87

wGPA Western - 3.95

wGPA Queen's - 3.85

wGPA Ottawa - 3.85

MCAT:

1st Attempt -- 9/10/10

2nd Attempt -- 12/12/12

EC's:

I believe they're well-rounded. Lots of employment, ECs, research, and awards.

This process is so competitive its crazy. A few years ago I would have considered my application to be strong but looking at the stats on this forum freaks me out haha. Since when did a 3.7 not become competitive? I'd appreciate honest but constructive responses. Thank you for all of your time!

Your application is strong, just not at every school. Great job improving that MCAT score! Apply to all schools in Ontario (except NOSM if you're not from a rural/remote community).

An interview at Western will be pretty much guaranteed. If your ECs stack up, I'd like your chances at Queen's as well. Getting an interview at Mac will depend on your CASPer performance, as it does for everyone, but as long as your cGPA doesn't drop substantially from your wGPA at other schools, you won't have to do amazingly well on it either.

Your wGPA is a bit low for both U of T and Ottawa, but it's won't cut you out completely either. Apply to both, take the time to do a good job of the essays for U of T, but don't be too disappointed if you don't end up with an interview at either of these schools.

Your application is strong, just not at every school. Great job improving that MCAT score! Apply to all schools in Ontario (except NOSM if you're not from a rural/remote community).

An interview at Western will be pretty much guaranteed. If your ECs stack up, I'd like your chances at Queen's as well. Getting an interview at Mac will depend on your CASPer performance, as it does for everyone, but as long as your cGPA doesn't drop substantially from your wGPA at other schools, you won't have to do amazingly well on it either.

Your wGPA is a bit low for both U of T and Ottawa, but it's won't cut you out completely either. Apply to both, take the time to do a good job of the essays for U of T, but don't be too disappointed if you don't end up with an interview at either of these schools.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, my cGPA is horrendous (3.56). I will apply to Mac but I'll have to knock CASPer out of the park.

I don't expect to get an interview to Ottawa. Even though my ECs are strong (at least in my opinion), it seems that Ottawa doesn't invite anyone with a wGPA lower than 3.92 to interview. I have a little more hope for UofT though I know its unlikely. There seem to be applicants on this forum who've been interviewed with a 3.8 and above (albeit not many). I was wondering if I would be included in the grad pool for UofT, giving that I will receive my Master's by the end of the year?

Thank you!

Unfortunately, my cGPA is horrendous (3.56). I will apply to Mac but I'll have to knock CASPer out of the park.

I don't expect to get an interview to Ottawa. Even though my ECs are strong (at least in my opinion), it seems that Ottawa doesn't invite anyone with a wGPA lower than 3.92 to interview. I have a little more hope for UofT though I know its unlikely. There seem to be applicants on this forum who've been interviewed with a 3.8 and above (albeit not many). I was wondering if I would be included in the grad pool for UofT, giving that I will receive my Master's by the end of the year?

I had virtually the same stats and managed to get an interview at Mac, so it's definitely possible. I didn't have the minor boost from having a Master's either.

A Master's will help at U of T, but because it's a 1-year it likely won't make a huge impact. Since your GPA isn't far off of competitive anyway, it may not need to matter that much. Ottawa does invite people with lower GPAs (but still above their very high cutoff), but not that many. Again, worth an application for that slight chance of getting in, but yeah, your best bets are at other schools.

Year 1  GPA = 3.60

Year 2  GPA = 3.91

Year 3  GPA = 3.99

Year 4  GPA = expecting 3.95+

cGPA = 3.83

All are full courseload years.

MCAT  11VR , BS and PS not good. Will be re-writing next year if I dont get in this cycle.

ECs: Bad

• Private tutoring (ongoing, 2 years so far)
  • TA for a semester (ongoing, 1 semester so far)
  • Doctor shadowing (1 summer)
  • Peer Mentoring (2 years)
  • Worked a couple part-time jobs over the years
  • Some awards and scholarships at UNI
  • other small stuff (clubs, no leadership roles)
  • some hobbies (not unique at all)

Western,Queens,Toronto: Dont meet MCAT cutoffs

Ottawa: Dont have pre-reqs and cant fit them into this years schedule

Mac: cGPA =3.83

NOSM: cGPA =3.83, from NO so good context i suppose?

Calgary: wGPA =3.95, OOP

So what are my chances at Mac, NOSM and Calgary?

Should i even bother applying to Calgary with my weak EC's? Also, ive heard that a low PS or BS mark will get you red flagged at UofC, any truth to this?

Your best shot is likely at NOSM, since you're from that area. Your ECs aren't terrible - a bit sparse, but there's some good stuff in there. That'll likely be the main thing holding you back at NOSM, so continue to work on your ECs. Your GPA is decent though, and that should help.

Mac would be your next best bet. It's always a toss-up with the CASPer, but your cGPA/VR combo is right on the average mark for accepted applicants. That basically means your CASPer score, while still needing to be good, won't have to be amazing to get an interview invite. Make sure you're comfortable with the CASPer format and you should give yourself a fighting chance.

I'm afraid I can't comment too definitively on Calgary (I don't know how they treat low PS or BS marks), but I'd say given your fairly strong wGPA and good VR, it's worth an application. Again, your ECs aren't overly strong, but they're not entirely weak either. Being an OOP applicant is the main damper on your chances, so don't keep your hopes up there, but it's not going to hurt to toss an application their way.

If you're unable to get in this cycle, your chances in future cycles can be significantly improved. An extra year kept busy to improve your ECs will make a real difference. A strong fourth year GPA will also give you a bit of a bump at both NOSM and Mac. If you're able to, getting the pre-reqs done for Ottawa could be a worthwhile option, since your wGPA there looks like it'll be pretty good. And yes, a strong MCAT that opens up other schools would help as well, though at this point, I think maintaining your solid GPA and expanding your ECs would have higher value.

Would love some advice please!!! I know it is fairly late but I just checked my MCAT scores today and thought I might still be able to apply for this year.

IP for Ontario

GPA:

1st - 3.63

2nd- 3.77

3rd- 3.85

4th- starting now (hopefully 3.9+)

cgpa: 3.75

uft weighted: 3.90

queens (L2Y): 3.81

western (B2Y): 3.81

MCAT:

1st- 8/9VR/10

2nd- 12/10VR/14

ECs: (on the weak side) 

community advisor in residence, hospital volunteer, inter-residence council representative, international student mentor, research assistant for depart of medicine at university, student research volunteer for 2/3 research projects, previously part of first year chem lab group, peer assistant teacher helper in high school, tutor high school students, has a couple retail jobs, couple of exec positions for university and high school clubs and miscellaneous one or two day volunteering activities

References: high school teacher, first year professor, doctor who I volunteered with

My real concern is about whether I should apply this year as a run-through for practice, etc. or if I should wait a year to build my extra-curricular activities / gpa. Re-writing the mcat is not an option right now. 

Id love to apply to Mac, Queens and UBC this year, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Apply this year for sure. Multiple applications don't penalize you, so you really don't have anything beyond a few hours and a few hundred bucks to lose. It sucks that you got VR 10, and if you don't get in this year I'd strongly suggest rewriting, as Mac and UWO are the schools most lenient for GPA.

Apply this year for sure. Multiple applications don't penalize you, so you really don't have anything beyond a few hours and a few hundred bucks to lose. It sucks that you got VR 10, and if you don't get in this year I'd strongly suggest rewriting, as Mac and UWO are the schools most lenient for GPA

Thanks! I think ill give it a shot and apply to at least 2 or 3 schools this year since the experience alone will help in the future.