Premed 101 Forums

Is Med School even viable for me? What should I do..?

Okay, here's a question for you: what is your plan B???? Many people have been trying to encourage you to go for your dreams, but stay realistic and prepare for the worst-case scenario. You've discussed the idea of going into nursing (practical nursing?), but it seems to me like you've thought about doing that until (or so that) you can apply for med school. What would you actually like to do with your life, other than medicine? I think figuring that out will help you take that path towards medicine, and if med school doesn't work out for you you'll have another career to keep working towards. Again, I know you really want this, but so do a lot of other people who will not end up getting in. It sucks. But it's true.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, StellarRay, why haven't you told your parents yet? You really cannot proceed any farther without getting *that* out of the way. LOCs and future academic plans can wait until after, since the situation is hardly going to improve with time.

For that matter, go hit the pavement and find a job - anything - so you can start repaying them. Retail, fast food, whatever.

I haven't told my parents yet because I'm still trying to figure out a plan to tell them.. like I've already said. Coming forward to my parents with nothing but a sob story and tears doesn't get anywhere. I'm trying to be pro-active about this. I'm trying to have something concrete to tell them.. how I'm trying to fix things.. instead of just wallowing. That's why. It's not just me that finds it hard to wait 7-9 yrs before re-applying to Western or Queen's for med school.. but I'm sure my parents would hate the idea of 10 more years of nothing.

And to be honest, as tight as money is... knowing my parents, they would rather I get an education for the future rather than working say.. fast food or retail.. with nothing but a high school diploma. Finding just a job or taking time off to "think" or going overseas to do international aid work to see the other 90% of the world are all nice but they all require time. Something that I've wasted alot of already. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying helping quake victims is a waste of time but if I'm really trying to pursue a higher education then I really ought to start soon since I'm already 5 yrs behind the norm for my age. Money isn't everything but one of my motivations is to be able to make enough so that I can financially help others. I hate that feeling of walking by charity booths or the homeless and having to look away because I realise I can barely afford to help myself.

Okay, here's a question for you: what is your plan B???? Many people have been trying to encourage you to go for your dreams, but stay realistic and prepare for the worst-case scenario. You've discussed the idea of going into nursing (practical nursing?), but it seems to me like you've thought about doing that until (or so that) you can apply for med school. What would you actually like to do with your life, other than medicine? I think figuring that out will help you take that path towards medicine, and if med school doesn't work out for you you'll have another career to keep working towards. Again, I know you really want this, but so do a lot of other people who will not end up getting in. It sucks. But it's true.

Yeah, I know alot of people are trying to get me to settle for a plan B. But honestly, right now.. I don't have one. I don't know what else in this world really interests me. Does a financial planner really like playing with money forms all day? Does a construction worker really like being out in the blazing sun from dawn to dusk? I don't know.

I just know that right now I'm very passionate and interested in becoming a doctor (like thousands of other people, i know).

So yeah.. is St George even a possibility? Will they really ask for my university transcript? And if so, after seeing it will they just laugh? =\

Well, it seems that you already have lots of ideas about what to do - you really don't need to have an absolutely concrete unchangeable plan in place before telling them about the situation. They may (and probably will) have advice about that. Quit stalling and get it over with - it's not going to get better by waiting.

Well, it seems that you already have lots of ideas about what to do - you really don't need to have an absolutely concrete unchangeable plan in place before telling them about the situation. They may (and probably will) have advice about that. Quit stalling and get it over with - it's not going to get better by waiting.

You make it sound so easy...

The problem is that I don't have a plan really at all right now. The only option seems to be if I wait 3 yrs before deciding to do anything unless it's college. And even then, I don't know what I would do with my life. It's hardly worth anything if I just tell ma and pa that I screwed up but I think I might do this or this but I'm still not sure if I even can do this or this... I think I have to approach this like an expert real estate realtor. I need to know my ****.

I'm waiting right now to see if St George pre-med is even an option. =\

My plan initially was apply for St George pre-med and hopefully get an acceptance letter or interview by the time I confront my parents so then I'd at least have that to show them. Something solid enough that it can hold water.

I haven't told my parents yet because I'm still trying to figure out a plan to tell them.. like I've already said. Coming forward to my parents with nothing but a sob story and tears doesn't get anywhere. I'm trying to be pro-active about this. I'm trying to have something concrete to tell them.. how I'm trying to fix things.. instead of just wallowing. That's why. It's not just me that finds it hard to wait 7-9 yrs before re-applying to Western or Queen's for med school.. but I'm sure my parents would hate the idea of 10 more years of nothing.

Why keep them in the dark anymore. Honestly, just tell them. Yes they are going to be mad, upset and might kick you out but the longer you keep them out of the loop, the harder it is going to be for them.

Tell them what happen truthfully, tell them how you came to be and then tell them how you plan on fixing things.

They'll most likely have input on your plans and it will probably be more valuable than anything we give you here.

And to be honest, as tight as money is... knowing my parents, they would rather I get an education for the future rather than working say.. fast food or retail.. with nothing but a high school diploma. Finding just a job or taking time off to "think" or going overseas to do international aid work to see the other 90% of the world are all nice but they all require time. Something that I've wasted alot of already.

Yes your parents will definitely want you to have a degree but considering all the time and money you've wasted them, I think its only fair that you fund (at least partially) for your future academics. Realistically, your parents have budgeted for you to have X amount of money for school and you probably used most of it. Where do you expect them to get money? Get a job,work for the time being, to pay for your own education. There is no shame in working fast food or retail, the bottom line is your earn money to make up for what you used. You parents will probably look on you as taking some form of responsibility for your actions.

Yeah, I know alot of people are trying to get me to settle for a plan B. But honestly, right now.. I don't have one. I don't know what else in this world really interests me. Does a financial planner really like playing with money forms all day? Does a construction worker really like being out in the blazing sun from dawn to dusk? I don't know.

You should really think about a plan B. Honestly, most people with credentials that are miles beyond you have plan B. Medicine is a very competitive field to get into. Not everyone is destined to be in medicine. Also its not as glamorous as you think it is, I definitely think you take a longer look at medicine because the job is not just rainbows and cookies.

Bottom line is. There is no shortcuts. Yea, I get that you are five years behind all your friends or the norm but mistakes were made and these are the consequences. Realize that if you do get into medicine, it will probably be another 10+ years before you can practice. So you might want to think if you are willing to spend that much time to become a doctor. ALSO, you want to make sure your parents are ok with this. Clearly if they are the ones supporting you financially, they have the right to know how long it is before their job is done.

Those are just my thoughts! Good luck!

Ray,

I'm beginning to notice some patterns in your behavior that might explain a lot of things. You truly seem to want to improve yourself and crawl out of the current hole you've dug for yourself and you very likely had similar intentions while you were failing out of your undergrad. The problem is that you can't face the painful steps that need to be done in order to reach your goals. The problem is that you're following the exact same pattern in choosing what to do next as you've done in the past--you're taking the easy way route out and ignoring the rest, hoping it'll go away.

If you think that's going to work, keep dreaming. How do you know that you're going to succeed this time when you've failed so many times before with the exact same tactics? What have you actually changed aside from a newfound intention to go into medicine? You claim that you want to go into medicine and give back to the community, yet your posts are sprinkled with hints suggesting that you're drawn by the prestige, the money and the attractiveness of being a doctor to women with no mention of any understanding of the true experience of being a physician. You've also done nothing to unravel the huge lie you've weaved around your parents, legitimately seek out a plan B in case SGU doesn't work out, or took steps to seek professional help despite the information we've provided you.

I would suggest you take steps to solve what can be solved right now (telling your parents the truth, getting help, and formulating a plan B) before dreaming of a future. Playing games with us to earn our sympathy and then ignoring our advice isn't going to earn you many friends. I'm not trying to hurt you, but you need more help than this forum can provide you and you should take steps to help yourself right now instead of pitying yourself or soliciting pity from others.

You make it sound so easy...

The problem is that I don't have a plan really at all right now. The only option seems to be if I wait 3 yrs before deciding to do anything unless it's college. And even then, I don't know what I would do with my life. It's hardly worth anything if I just tell ma and pa that I screwed up but I think I might do this or this but I'm still not sure if I even can do this or this... I think I have to approach this like an expert real estate realtor. I need to know my ****.

I'm waiting right now to see if St George pre-med is even an option. =\

My plan initially was apply for St George pre-med and hopefully get an acceptance letter or interview by the time I confront my parents so then I'd at least have that to show them. Something solid enough that it can hold water.

No, you're stalling because postponing the massive pain of telling them is far easier than facing it now and getting it over with. This is exactly how you built your situation into the FUBAR state that you're in now. If you can't break the cycle and force yourself to do it now, how will you ever have the strength to make it in medicine? Do something about it and break the vicious cycle.

I don't think your parents hearing hey I got kicked out of university...but I got accepted into college will lighten up the situation (considering how they thought u were in university for god knows how many years when really you weren't)

grow a pair and fess up

I'm in agreeance with Rock* on this one. You have probably gotten more, and better advice than almost anyone else on this board, and it really seems as though you're ignoring half of it. No offense, but you have no idea what it takes to do well in an undergrad program, let alone medical school. And especially based on your history, there is a large chance that you might not make it. I really hope you realize this. You NEED a backup plan. Your lack of considering this option shows tunnel vision and naivety.

Just wondering whether you can apply to another school and start fresh right away. How would the other schools know whether u got suspended from the current university. That way after finishing 3 years at this new school u can apply to med school without disclosing ur previous transcript. Dont know if thats possible tho.

wow you guys are kinda harsh...if you don't wanna help the kid, then don't post :P

u guys keep saying the same thing to him and it doesn't seem to register so why waste your time, giving him attention and posting...just let the kid do whatever he wants...he'll tell his folks when he's ready and if he chooses not to, it's not your problem...

reminds me of an episode of family guy, where peter says at the end of the show how parents should be more responsible about the shows their kids watch instead of complaining about shows on TV....:D

He could but he have to basically lie. When you go to another school you are required to present them with all the information about the schools you have already been to. If they find out you didn't then you can be subjected to more punishment - including cancellation of his enrollment. Once he tells them they are not likely to let him in.

Makes sense really. In Canada with a publicly funded university program you shouldn't be able to just move around without announcing it.

Then he would have to lie to the medical schools as well as they also ask for all your transcripts. I am not sure they can figure out what degrees you have though - I actually have to post about that shortly as I think a very good friend is about to screw up his life.

u guys keep saying the same thing to him and it doesn't seem to register so why waste your time, giving him attention and posting...just let the kid do whatever he wants...he'll tell his folks when he's ready and if he chooses not to, it's not your problem...

I agree with the fact that people shouldn't be wasting as much time on this since a lot of the solid advice seems to be ignored by this guy.

Sure it's no one's problem but his, but he was the one asking for advice into the possibilities of medicine, and people are just giving advice related to that. I really couldn't care less what this guy does, but I think a lot of people are just trying to do him a favor by making suggestions that he should probably take care of certain **** first. No point puttin the cart before the horse. Unless you've trained a horse to push the cart....in which case you're an awesome horse trainer and you should be a professional horse trainer and not a pre-med/med student on this forum......have horses ever been known to push carts? If so, that saying is a load of crap. It should be changed from now on, to "Don't do crazy things to try to get into med school before you tell your parents you f'd up and blew approx. $30,000 of their money."

....not sure what just happened to my post....guess it was too serious at the start and my subconcious took over and overcompensated.......

I would suggest telling your parents right away. I don't know how your parents are, but I know that if I went to my parents saying "I messed this up xx months ago, but now I have a plan!" will not go better than telling them right away. Doing this, you'll show them that you were hiding from them while trying to alleviate the problems yourself, even when they deserve to know what's going on.

Tell them now, tell them what you currently are the viable options and ask them for any advice. Also, get a f***ing job and start paying them off. You mentioned you have free time to think right now as it's summer; If you have time, go work.

I would just have to guess that if there is a gap large enough to suggest extra schooling was done that they would somehow cross check against schools? Although I am not sure how privacy works there.

As a side note I hope they don't get too nervous about such gaps, In my case I was overseas for many years in Ireland (duel citizen) serving as a computer programmer. Woke up one day and realized that while the work was interesting (you solve problems all day) that basically I was helping people sell tube socks on the web. In the long run I want to solve problems for something more important - hence medicine :)

Trouble is getting references for things done in another country, 6-10 years ago. Especially when the company you worked for vanished with the dot com bust :)

Guys, guys... I'm not rejecting the notion of a plan B. Really, I'm not! It's just that as I've already said I'm not sure what my plan B would be right now. That's alot of information to process on my own right now. My entire future essentially. But right now, here and now, I'm trying to figure out if med school is still a possibility. And oh my god yes, I'm so grateful for the huge volume of advice, facts/info, stories, and inspiration I've found on this forum in such a short time.

I really wouldn't mind just working to repay my parents. But I'm 100% positive that they wouldn't care so much about the money but rather, much like myself, they're more interested in the time that's been wasted. McDonald's pays what... $8/hr? Lets say I work 40 hrs/wk. That's $320/wk. To repay back approximately $30,000 would take around 100 weeks or so after taxes. That's about 2 more years of working full-time. I doubt my parents want that but hey, it's a possibility.

The long route but presumably the safest route would be to possibly take 2 yrs to complete a college diploma in say paramedicine or nursing, start a new undergrad degree (possibly in a whole different field if I'm even allowed to change programs when I get back.. but in that case I would have to careful consider what I do in those 2 yrs in college so that it'd be more specific to my new undergrad degree), then re-apply for med school using my best 2 last yrs at basically Queens, Western, and I think Dalhousie. Total of 7-9 yrs to reach that state. The obvious drawback is the time it'd take to keep being strong for that many years straight without knowing for sure if it'd mean anything in the end. It's alot easier to run a race when you know what the prize is. The obvious pro is that at least I'll have an undergrad degree and possibly a college diploma. But yeah.. 10 yrs to do it isn't something I'm keen on. But it may very well be the only choice. I get that. I do. I'm just seeing what other additional info is out there.

It seems like everyday I'm learning something new here. But yes, there's been alot of repeat of info... I can't help what others post. Just like there's been alot of repeat accusations that I'm a troll. If you've said your piece and have nothing to add.. then please don't discourage others from throwing me whatever piece of help they can afford.

@Sarah2020:

I'm afraid the suspension applies to all Canadian universities or at least most of the "respected" ones. And they do ask to bring all academic records and like rmorelan said lying could get me or any student doing the same kicked out.

@123:

This is the 2nd time I've heard about Athabasca university. Can I really take credits online and transfer them? That would be an interesting way to shorten my time... but I'm not sure how med schools would look at it since many require you to be enrolled as a full-time student (at least for the last 2 yrs). I'll take a look at it but if anyone can provide additional info that'd be great.

@Sutler:

No, things won't be much better if I tell them I wasted time at university and am now attending college. But if I have some kind of plan then at least.. well.. I have something to offer them rather than just a sob story. And if not for them, then for myself. Last thing I need to happen is to "grow pair" and fess up only to get kicked out tonight with no where to go. If it wasn't so hard to tell them in the first place then I'd never be here in the first place.

You know, I don't expect it will be easy to tell them, but if I may also indulge in more colourful rhetoric, grow a pair and do it. I've no doubt that almost everyone here has had to "confess" something bad at one time or another, and these are things you should be telling your parents rather than anonymous individuals online.

You should also realise that 7-9 yrs more of schooling will furnish you with ample additional skills and experiences that would equip you for alternatives to medicine. It's not as if your aspirations couldn't and wouldn't change over that time, and at the very least you'd have a degree and/or training that could provide a promising career path regardless.

And to be honest, as tight as money is... knowing my parents, they would rather I get an education for the future rather than working say.. fast food or retail.. with nothing but a high school diploma. Finding just a job or taking time off to "think" or going overseas to do international aid work to see the other 90% of the world are all nice but they all require time. Something that I've wasted alot of already. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not saying helping quake victims is a waste of time but if I'm really trying to pursue a higher education then I really ought to start soon since I'm already 5 yrs behind the norm for my age. Money isn't everything but one of my motivations is to be able to make enough so that I can financially help others. I hate that feeling of walking by charity booths or the homeless and having to look away because I realise I can barely afford to help myself.

Well, you're not working right now and it's summer, so why don't you do what hundreds of thousands of post-secondary students do and get a frakkin' job for the remainder of the summer, if not into the fall too. You DO NOT have the luxury of hoping for some windfall from your parents or anyone else in the future, and if you're not prepared to work in retail/fast food/anything as a way of saving up some money to pay for your education, then you need a reality check.

The fact is you've screwed up - it will require lots of hard work to fix things, and to say nothing of medical school, you don't have an undergraduate degree much less a college certificate or diploma. So, deal with that first, and perhaps then talk of medicine may be relevant.

I expect both financial planners and construction workers enjoy the fact that they are able to get a steady pay check for reasonably skilled work. Plan B is not a permanent alternative, but everyone needs a backup plan, at least something they can do while preparing for what they really want (i.e. medicine). In my case, I've been doing a masters in biostatistics - it's interesting, but not my prime focus, but I could make a solid career out of it if I was so inclined. You need that sort of backup.

I just know that right now I'm very passionate and interested in becoming a doctor (like thousands of other people, i know).

Passion and interest can animate hard work and perseverence, but they cannot replace them.

So, let's consider a typical interview question:

Why do you want to become a doctor?

As a side note, my uncle is a financial planner and does love it because he helps people achieve their dreams - owning a big house, sending kids to school (like your parents for instance), and retiring early enough to enjoy life.

My brother puts metal roofs on houses all day. He also likes his job very much. He actually builds something people enjoy and feel safe under that has good value. He also works all day with his friends without real pressure, time clocks, and earns good money. He like pointing at things and saying that he built, actually built, something.

The concept that medicine is the only rewarding career that is meaningful and you can actually enjoy is just too out there for words. Seems like you are going out of your way to trash every profession here except debatably medicine.

OK. how about we look at it this way: In medicine, we're often forced to make unpopular decisions or face a really ugly situation with integrity because peoples' lives are on the line. Let's say you eventually made it in medicine and you're working in the ER. What if you really f**ked up a procedure on a patient and now he's comatose and intubated in the ICU? Are you going to try to cover it up until the patient dies because you fear the consequences of telling the truth, or are you going to tell his current ICU docs the truth so that he gets better care?

Tell your parents the truth. It'll be very painful and if they kick you out, learn from the lesson. You need to swallow your pride and work back up from the bottom. If it requires working in fast food to earn your rent and to slowly pay back your parents, then do it. It's not just for them--it's also for yourself. Doing all of this will build up your own faith in your skills and your parents and friends will also see that and help you. You won't succeed in medicine if you haven't laid the foundation for your self-growth. There's no way you can help others until you've helped yourself.

That said, the suggestions about paramedic school or nursing are very valid. Not only do they provide you with an exposure to medicine to evaluate whether you really want to be a doctor, but they will also serve as great material on your app if you choose to apply. There aren't any shortcuts out of your predicament right now and the only way out is to man up and start charging at your obstacles head on.

@rmorelan:

Ugh................. please, stop. I'm not trashing any profession. I've already said that our society really does depends on every profession to be able to function the way it does. I only questioned how can people enjoy certain things which I don't find very exciting in my own opinion. It's not to say I'm trashing other people's professions.

Honestly, even after I asked that you not bother posting if you're not going to provide anything more to the discussion people are still posting. If you really have said your piece and have nothing more to say then please don't go and discourage others from giving me help/info/ideas. Alot of things have been repeated, many because someone new who wants to help didn't read all 150+ posts and that's understandable. But if you're tired of hearing it then simply just don't click on this thread.

It just seems like the same 3-4 people that keep attacking me for being a troll or misconstruing my words. I never said I wanted my parents to sell our home and to go live on the street so I could attend school and possibly **** them over again. I only brought up our home because I said my parents are poor and the only thing worth anything was our home but that I could never accept that kind of money.

If you don't have anything to contribute then please simply leave. Who knows, maybe someone with some great info that I so sorely need hasn't been online in weeks because they were busy and then all they see are these negative posters. Many of these 3-4 posters are just playing it politically correct by just being short of calling me a troll again themselves.

My question for the past 2 pages or so (which has gone unanswered because apparently according to the same 3-4 ppl that everything has already been answered) is if St George would really look at my university transcript for pre-med year 1 since on their site it only asks for high school diploma with strong gpa in the sciences, SAT scores, and financial statement (http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/som/premed-admissions.html#admis).

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

To OP:

Like others may have mentioned, attending a college would be a good plan rather than rushing into something difficult. Like attend some kind of college that will allow you to transfer in second or third year to start another undergrad at some other university? Also, attending a college would allow you to start building your work ethic/study skills. Because realistically, given your situation, it will be hard to transition to a difficult program at a university.

Long time ago, couple of my friends were on academic probation and were asked to leave. They went back to a college and brought their grades back up and then transferred back to the university. And this time they were able to maintain their grades and graduated with a university degree. So going to a college helped them quite a bit as they were able to build up their study/work ethic skills. It is sort of like going back to the basics and taking little baby steps to work your way up the hill.

and regarding telling this situation to your parents, sooner or later you'll have to tell them. The more you delay, the harder it'll be. I think your parents do love you and they wouldn't want you to be in any more agnoy than you are already in.... If you tell them that you were/are suffering from serious depression and you had to leave university because of that, they'll probably understand and would want you to get help. Also, do you have any siblings that can help you tell this situation to your parents?

another question, were you suspended purely because of a low GPA or were there other reasons?

OK on the SGU website, it saids only highschool transcript.

But don't you think they will question what you have been doing for the past five years?

There is no point to try to HIDE your academic background. It is what it is. And what if they find out after the fact?

To OP:

Like others may have mentioned, attending a college would be a good plan rather than rushing into something difficult. Like attend some kind of college that will allow you to transfer in second or third year to start another undergrad at some other university? Also, attending a college would allow you to start building your work ethic/study skills. Because realistically, given your situation, it will be hard to transition to a difficult program at a university.

Long time ago, couple of my friends were on academic probation and were asked to leave. They went back to a college and brought their grades back up and then transferred back to the university. And this time they were able to maintain their grades and graduated with a university degree. So going to a college helped them quite a bit as they were able to build up their study/work ethic skills. It is sort of like going back to the basics and taking little baby steps to work your way up the hill.

and regarding telling this situation to your parents, sooner or later you'll have to tell them. The more you delay, the harder it'll be. I think your parents do love you and they wouldn't want you to be in any more agnoy than you are already in.... If you tell them that you were/are suffering from serious depression and you had to leave university because of that, they'll probably understand and would want you to get help. Also, do you have any siblings that can help you tell this situation to your parents?

another question, were you suspended purely because of a low GPA or were there other reasons?

Thank you, EricCartman... haha. Who'd ever thought I'd be getting academic/med school advice from Eric Cartman. And GOOD advice at that! ^^

But yes, I'm definitely really interested in this option too. Someone else brought up this exact proposal as well on the valuemd forum and I think someone may have said it in this thread earlier too but I'm not sure if it was me but it just didn't sink in for me until now. My question about this college-university joint degree thing now is... do med schools consider this okay? Because I was under the impression from many of their admission webpages that I would need to get a 4 yr bachelor's degree with honours. But if I am able to do 2 yrs in college and rack up transferrable credits/pre-reqs then I'd only need need 2 yrs of my best work when I get back to university to apply to Queens, Western, or Dalhousie. Is this really an option for me??

I have a little sister. I just don't know... I know my relationship with my dad is strained since the time we got into a huge argument which resulted in me running away for about a week before the combined efforts of my mom, grandma (my dad's mom), and even my sister managed to get him to let me back home. I still remember hiding and sleeping at school for a few nights. It's not about how big my balls are... because those won't keep me warm at night if I'm living on College street tonight.

And yes, I got suspended solely for a low GPA. I didn't plagerise or cheat or do anything of the illegal sort. I was so "by the system" that I didn't even drop a course (bad bad judgement) and I never ever even deferred a single exam. Haha... honestly, I've been so tempted at one time to try that little tip with re-printing the coca cola label with answers... I mean, heck, I was going to get suspended for 3 yrs anyways! ^^

But yes, low GPA. Not sure what else I can say about it that I haven't said in the very first post. I made alot of bad judgement calls, I got scared, I panicked, I ran. Fight or flight, right..?

OK on the SGU website, it saids only highschool transcript.

But don't you think they will question what you have been doing for the past five years?

There is no point to try to HIDE your academic background. It is what it is. And what if they find out after the fact?

When they question me... I'll cry age discrimination! >.<

But yeah, I don't know. I guess I'd have to come forward with my past. It is what it is, like you said. This is where I come up with something witty and moving to convince them to give me the second chance. Kind of like how Meredith Grey keeps telling Derrek to "Pick me.. Choose me"

...please don't give me more flack again just because I watch Grey's Anatomy... T-T

I don't expect to be called McAnything anytime soon.. nor do I expect Grey's Anatomy to be what real medicine is about.

Hi there, I also had a bad first couple of years due to lack of effort so I know how you feel. I was put on probation last semester and was told that if I failed a course, I would be suspended. I basically just tried to figure out what was holding me back from getting the grades that I wanted and realized that for me, it had to do with time management, cramming, etc. So I began studying atleast 2-3 weeks before exams, reading before and after lectures to avoid cramming and ended up with an A average for the term. Maybe you should try to explore the reasons that prevented you from doing well in your undergrad and see if you can turn this around?

For now, I also recommend that you start taking some courses with Athabasca as a couple people suggested earlier. Im pretty sure that universities will count these courses for credit and this way, you wont have to wait the 3 years to start a degree. I'm not sure how universities will treat these courses with respect to full course load when applying for med so maybe contact these different universities and find out? or start a thread asking about this as Ive read quite a few people have taken courses through Athabasca and so they may have an answer for you.

Best of luck!

Archived